Jags fire Tom Coughlin

YoloinOhio

46 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Come on man, really? People were talking about how bringing Coughlin in would be a stabilizing, guiding force, and that promoting Marrone was the right move. Also, see any blow hard in the media during their one successful year. We all knew it was only a matter of time with Dougie leading the team. Plus, Coughlin’s style grew stale in NY. He’s a real hit with millennials. 

I mean, they went to the AFCCG with Bortles at QB. That’s a pretty solid achievement.

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"the best coaching and front office situation in the league".

LOL I'll let you google it.  I already did.  It's not a pretty search.

“Obviously“ exaggeration, sarcasm, and hyperbole are lost on you. Do you really think I was inferring people thought they’d be better than Belichick, Harbaugh, Tomlin, etc.? Come on man. 

The talking heads were quite pleased with this hire after the Gus Bradley loose-ship regime (fans not so much). Thought Marrone and Coughlin were just what they needed by bringing in a disciplined style. Only furthered by a fluke run to an AFC Championship. This is not news. 

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I mean, they went to the AFCCG with Bortles at QB. That’s a pretty solid achievement.

Agreed. I’ll give them credit for that for sure. Still have no idea how they pulled that off. Yeah, they had a great D, but Bortles stepped up against big time opponents that year. He was awful in the WC game against us. Foreshadowing with respect to how good the Bills D would be come. 

Edited by TheProcess

Just now, TheProcess said:

“Obviously“ exaggeration, sarcasm, and hyperbole are lost on you. Do you really think I was inferring people thought they’d be better than Belichick, Harbaugh, Tomlin, etc.? Come on man. 

You absolutely were.  I quoted you.  You we're not ambiguous.  I called you on it and you told ME to google it. I did.  Then you claimed it was all "hyperbole".  

LOL, no it wasn't.

When the NFLPA noted that a player won a $700K grievance, that 25% of all grievances were against Jacksonville, and players may wish to consider these facts when selecting a team, it was all over. As long as Coughlin remained, they'd only be able to sign the desperate. No one wants to work for a team that is basically 8x as likely to hassle them as any other team in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Didn't see that one coming.  I figured Marrone would have gotten the can first.

I don't know why everybody thinks everything that happened is Marrones fault. It is obviously above his pay grade. Head coaches don't have the power to make those sort of decisions. 

A small win for the Jaguars players.  They no longer have to show up four hours early for meetings.  No more three a days without water in full pads in August.  An hour and a half long Catholic Mass before games no longer mandated.  Hoover stew no longer the only selection at the dining hall.  Bring on the free agents.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

A small win for the Jaguars players.  They no longer have to show up four hours early for meetings.  No more three a days without water in full pads in August.  An hour and a half long Catholic Mass before games no longer mandated.  Hoover stew no longer the only selection at the dining hall.  Bring on the free agents.

Oh yeah, I'm certain that the "old school" discipline was the reason Foles has played like crap this year. ?

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You absolutely were.  I quoted you.  You we're not ambiguous.  I called you on it and you told ME to google it. I did.  Then you claimed it was all "hyperbole".  

LOL, no it wasn't.

Whether you care to admit it or not is irrelevant. I’m the one who posted the comment, so I’m 100% certain I know what I meant by the post, but thank you for explaining what I meant to me. You were quoting sarcasm. I’m sorry you’re so bothered by this and the point was lost on you. Good luck playing board gestapo. It’s befitting, as I’m sure you’ll want the final word in this “feud” (did I do that right using the italics to indicate sarcasm?). 

15 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Whether you care to admit it or not is irrelevant. I’m the one who posted the comment, so I’m 100% certain I know what I meant by the post, but thank you for explaining what I meant to me. You were quoting sarcasm. I’m sorry you’re so bothered by this and the point was lost on you. Good luck playing board gestapo. It’s befitting, as I’m sure you’ll want the final word in this “feud” (did I do that right using the italics to indicate sarcasm?). 

You bailed on your post.  It happens.  No need to concoct a backstory after the fact....

• Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I don't know why everybody thinks everything that happened is Marrones fault. It is obviously above his pay grade. Head coaches don't have the power to make those sort of decisions. 

Because the hatred for him is very strong still here because fans didn't get to see him run out of town with a Vince McMahon style public humiliation firing and he left on his own. He is the Bills fans Ex-Girlfriend they just can't get over.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Because the hatred for him is very strong still here because fans didn't get to see him run out of town with a Vince McMahon style public humiliation firing and he left on his own. He is the Bills fans Ex-Girlfriend they just can't get over.....

Look how much happier I am with my new girlfriend!!! x 100 billion

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t see any advantage to doing this before the season is over. I mean, why now? 

Some feel it's a direct reaction to the NFLPA/players winning their grievances against Jax and to the NFLPA's "shots fired"

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jaguars-fire-coughlin-amid-3rd-season-following-nflpa-shot-121819

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t see any advantage to doing this before the season is over. I mean, why now? 

I'd guess first dibbs on a new GM. New GM can then get a start on next year to include draft prep. Marrone can be released later.  The Bill's likely would have liked Waley's replacement set further before the draft but it was too close.  In contrast, this gives a replacement 4 months or so if hired tomorrow.  That's my 2 cent guess.

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I remember when some clowns around here wanted this guy as a "football czar."

Oh geez the “czar” talk. I’ve tried to forget that era. 

As for Marrone...I don’t dislike him because he jilted the Bills (I thought he was a decent but not great HC), I dislike him because he’s a thin-skinned quitter who has kept his reasons for leaving a “secret” all these years.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m wondering if Shad Khan actually gives Marrone and Caldwell another year now, without Coughlin, to see if they can do better without him less,I guess in everything. 

Khan seems very very slow to fire people (Caldwell still somehow has a job, and Gus Bradley survived forever). I could see him giving them a chance (not saying that I think they deserve it, just to be clear). 

Edit - now I’m not so sure after reading Shad Khan’s statement...

says Marrone and Caldwell will report to him on an interim basis for the rest of the season. 

Khan could mean it as he is the interim the rest of the season, not Marrone.

yeah you lose your starter at QB and the season usually goes to sh-t.  no surprises there.   steelers, lions, jags,  all kaput bc of long term key injuries to key starters.... whatever.  can't fire the players, so you fire the front office guys -- no cap hit there!  whatever.   turnovers lose games.  key injuries to key starters lose seasons. 

As far as mocking people for wanting coughlin here...

Yes, i would have liked it.  This franchise needed to be dislodged from brandon and whaley in the worst way.  They were the "football minds" and ownership was inexperienced and continued a chronically dysfunctional front office full of 'lifers' who didnt football very good.  Marrone's resignation was a powerplay to cleanse the football dept and he was correct.

It turns out that McDermott was the guy to do just that, and i would rather have him and his culture than coughlin's culture from the 60s.  I would still take coughlin-caldwell-marrone over brandon-whaley-whatever coach wants a job bad enough to work under those 2.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't see Coughlin getting fired first meaning Marrone is safe, unless he went to Khan and was constantly complaining about Coughlin hamstringing him. It wouldn't surprise me if Dougie was doing this to save his own behind though. 

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he figured they were going to give him the ax at the end of the season and asked them to do it now. The guy was already retired and had been enjoying his free time with his grand-kids before the Jags brought him in. 

9 hours ago, In Summary said:

I'd guess first dibbs on a new GM. New GM can then get a start on next year to include draft prep. Marrone can be released later.  The Bill's likely would have liked Waley's replacement set further before the draft but it was too close.  In contrast, this gives a replacement 4 months or so if hired tomorrow.  That's my 2 cent guess.

He wasn't GM, he was the president/Football Czar that was there to help the GM and Coach.

10 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Look how much happier I am with my new girlfriend!!! x 100 billion

You may think your happier, but you still can't get your ex out of your head and continue to care and wish bad things happen to them because your not over them. It's ok........ He can't hurt you and doesn't think of you anymore.......

1 hour ago, BigPappy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he figured they were going to give him the ax at the end of the season and asked them to do it now. The guy was already retired and had been enjoying his free time with his grand-kids before the Jags brought him in. 

I believe they asked him about it and he said he wasn't retiring and still wants to work for another team

• Like (+1) 1