Josh Allen - week FIFTEEN report card

rayray808

10 minutes ago, Easterner said:

My opinion Is if anyone thinks Allen should get a A for that performance 

something is wrong with you.

139 passing yards for a NFL QB is just not good enough. This is not

acceptable for a NFL QB. We are lucky the Pittsburgh QB was worse. 

Who says 139 yards is awful when you win the game and the QB scores both TD's?  Would you rather have Allen throw for 400 yards and we lose the game.

There's another thread that talks about the value of combining TD runs and passes as the key metric for assessing a QB.  Yards are overrated. 

Using the following metric Allen had a solid game tonight and has had a good season so far:  Combine total TD's (passing & rushing) and compare that value to the total turnovers (fumbles lost & interceptions) and you get:

* for tonight's game 2/1

* for the season 27/13 and on pace for 31/15 after 16 games

Solid and getting better.  Next year look for 40/10.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Who says 139 yards is awful when you win the game and the QB scores both TD's?  Would you rather have Allen throw for 400 yards and we lose the game.

There's another thread that talks about the value of combining TD runs and passes as the key metric for assessing a QB.  Yards are overrated. 

Using the following metric Allen had a solid game tonight and has had a good season so far:  Combine total TD's (passing & rushing) and compare that value to the total turnovers (fumbles lost & interceptions) and you get:

* for tonight's game 2/1

* for the season 27/13 and on pace for 31/15 after 16 games

Solid and getting better.  Next year look for 40/10.

If somebody came to me before the season started and said Allen would account for 30+ td’s..... where can I sign? Lol 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Easterner said:

Your not taking the level of the defense we were playing (at their home into account)

Way too happy to be in the playoffs to give thoughts that would give me a warning......Ill leave it for not

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm more critical of Josh Allen than most but I'd have to give him a B+ for this game considering the circumstances against a defense in a hostile environment who leads the league in takeaways and sacks.  He only took one sack and committed one turnover (which was only partly his fault).  Great recognition to hurry up to the one and call a QB run for himself for the first touchdown.  Nice throw to Brown on the go route and a strike to Kroft for the TD.  There was also a weird looking play in the 1st half where I thought it was a QB draw to the right and it looked like there was nothing there so he spun around and hit Beasley on the opposite side for seven or so yards that was impressive.  I'd have to rewatch the film to be sure.

There were some throws that got away from him that would've been easy first downs (although there were some drops) and his throw to Beasley would've been a big play instead of an INT if he was more accurate with that throw.  Despite that, I was encouraged as he performed better this week compared to last week against an even more dominating defense on the road.

I missed the first half, so I just re-watched the game (FFWD) and I would grade Allen a solid B.  He had a few inaccurate balls but he cancelled those out with some big time throws to get first downs.  He had a couple critical drops (Brown and Beasley), some batted passes, and the Singletary fumble approaching the red zone didn't help.  But it this was far from what I was reading by the typical haters.  As stated many times, this team is desperately needing another go-to receiver opposite Brown.  And for whatever reason, this offensive unit CANNOT SELL a freaking screen.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I give him a B-

Wr's making plays for there QB.  The Knox one handed grab last week is on of those wow catches but how many drops are these going to have.  Beasley, brown had one the pass to dimarco sure the ball could be placed a bit better but man your in the NFL you should be expected to make those catches.  Shady used to say last year young QB's need the receivers to make catches for them as well.  It's a two part game.  

The staff really got scared or something in the second half evern after Allen hit Brown on the 40 yard pass.  Guess the next one where he went to the endzone sacred them but just not sure why the playcalling went super conservative

Another 4th quarter game winning drive to add to the resume.  

We all know playing QB in the NFL is the hardest position in sports to play,  

which is why QB's get the big bucks.

Think of all the franchise QB's in the NFL who are too good to trade, 

but not good enough to win anything- Rivers, Ryan, Stafford, Carr, etc. etc.

Allen threw for 139 yards last night, 146 the week before. If those were Tyrod

Taylor's numbers he would be run out of town which he was. The defense won

the game last night. Allen did not. All rating systems have Allen between

25 and 30. No one is going to the Super Bowl throwing for 140 yards even with

no turnovers which is no gimme with Allen.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm more critical of Josh Allen than most but I'd have to give him a B+ for this game considering the circumstances against a defense in a hostile environment who leads the league in takeaways and sacks.  He only took one sack and committed one turnover (which was only partly his fault).  Great recognition to hurry up to the one and call a QB run for himself for the first touchdown.  Nice throw to Brown on the go route and a strike to Kroft for the TD.  There was also a weird looking play in the 1st half where I thought it was a QB draw to the right and it looked like there was nothing there so he spun around and hit Beasley on the opposite side for seven or so yards that was impressive.  I'd have to rewatch the film to be sure.

There were some throws that got away from him that would've been easy first downs (although there were some drops) and his throw to Beasley would've been a big play instead of an INT if he was more accurate with that throw.  Despite that, I was encouraged as he performed better this week compared to last week against an even more dominating defense on the road.

The wonderful thing about Josh is he consistently manages to step up in big moments to ***** victories. It doesn’t matter if he’s struggled all day or been lights out, if the game is close he gives us a chance to win. Even in our losses, it took a tremendous defensive play for us to lose to the Ravens and a long end of game drive/missed FG to lose to the Browns.

He’s clutch. No ifs ands or buts. 

He does need to become more consistent though. It’s a lot easier to win games at the end with a strong defensive performance all night, but if the defense takes a step back, we won’t be in positions to win as often.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

If you think this guy driving down the field to score a game-winning touchdown on the road in FREAKING Pittsburgh is a C+ game, you don't know schitt about this game.

Period.

If you think 52% completion percentage for sub 150 yards passing and an INT is higher than a C+ grade, you know less than ***** about this game. 

Ill take a win to clinch a playoff spot but if you think the offense won this game you are a real fanatic. 

Allen's performance was lack luster and average at best.   He made a few plays which puts him in the C range, which is AVERAGE.   He gets the + because he capitalized when it was absolutely necessary. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Easterner said:

Seems to be working for both Lamar and Allen. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

A-

When it mattered most, Allen came through big. 

With this offense and considering where Allen is in his development the stats mean nothing. 

Two drives earned him the A-.

1)  After the bad punt we faced 3rd & 20 and Allen gained 12 yards on a nice run.  Then on 4th & 8 he had a perfect throw to Brown for the 1st down.  That kept the drive alive and we got a TD.

2)  After tying the game Allen had 2 fantastic throws midway through the 4th quarter to take the Bills 70 yards for the winning TD. 

Playing on the road against an elite D is not going to boost your stats.  What matters is what happens at key moments in the game.  And again, Allen came through.

He now has 27 total TD's and 13 total TO's.  That's really good.  And those are the numbers that matter.  Yardage, not so much.

+1.  People don't look at the big picture....and he had only 3 of those 13 TO's in the last 9 games....I just don't see how people downright dislike his play.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Easterner said:

Mods: Block him! Clearly Easterner works at PFF.

Edited by CSBill
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK 1: B-

WEEK 2: B

WEEK 3: C+

WEEK 4: F

WEEK 5: B+

WEEK 7: B

WEEK 8: D+

WEEK 9: B+

WEEK 10: B-

WEEK 11: A

WEEK 12: B

WEEK 13: A

WEEK 14: C

WEEK 15: A

13/25 - 139 yards - 1 TD - 1 INT - 28 yards rushing 1 TD

Grading beyond the stats tonight...

On a Sunday Night Football game, where all sorts of records and trends showed that we were not supposed to win this game, Josh Allen helped overcome various obstacles, stayed poised, and lead this team to a W.

He had one bad throw that Chris Colinsworth just picked apart, and yet there were many bad drops that could have extended drives.

The INT was off Coleʻs hands. Was it high? Sure. Was it catchable? Sure.

Fumbles from Devin, Duck throwing prayers and having them answered... none of that seemed to rattle Josh.

He was a man on a mission and tonight it was mission accomplished.

We are in the playoffs bay bayyyyyyyy!

Can’t let the game emotion and magnitude of the game sway your grade...if we are being honest then C+

4 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

If you think 52% completion percentage for sub 150 yards passing and an INT is higher than a C+ grade, you know less than ***** about this game. 

Ill take a win to clinch a playoff spot but if you think the offense won this game you are a real fanatic. 

Allen's performance was lack luster and average at best.   He made a few plays which puts him in the C range, which is AVERAGE.   He gets the + because he capitalized when it was absolutely necessary. 

Completion percentage and yards would of been more reasonable without the easy drops by our WRs. Would of been turnover free also.

19 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Mods: Block him! Clearly Easterner works at PFF.

guy is in every thread complaining about the Bills win. They go to Pittsburgh against a super rowdy crowd. Top defense in the league. Playoff game for both teams. And win. 

At least 3 easy drops and  couple others where a good WR play makes the catch. 

I'll take it.

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That's crazy.  The defense gets an A.  Allen gets a C+. 

The pick was all on him and wasn't his only bad throw of the night.  Brown saved him on back to back deep throws, once catching it and once preventing a pick.

Holy agenda alert.  Now a deep completion is saving the QB?  

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That's crazy.  The defense gets an A.  Allen gets a C+. 

The pick was all on him and wasn't his only bad throw of the night.  Brown saved him on back to back deep throws, once catching it and once preventing a pick.

Not all in Josh. Beasley got his hands on the ball. 

I give Josh a B  and that’s grading on a curve for what the win meant. 
Josh, play calling, and receivers need to all improve. 

one minor play in particular that I’d love to see the coaches work on with Josh is the pass in the flat to the rb coming out of the backfield. Josh needs to let the end come up field more and allow his back to get a little more space. Small thing but saw it last night and last week. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Anything below a B is looking to blame him for what he can't control and not enough for what he can. Beasley has to catch that ball, he is not a fringe player, Allen must be able to trust to catch that every single time. The last TD drive was when that building was in a frenzy, right after Renegade played and he sucked the life out of the building. He was overall good against a great Defense.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh had his players drop 4 balls. Beasley 2, Brown and DiMarco. He should've went 17/25 1 td, 1 rush, 0 ints. It was a very good game for him but I do notice a complete 180 turnaround from last regarding his scrambling instincts. He's alot more hesitant. I know he's trying to stay in the pocket longer to develop but

a large portion of his running mojo is gone.

B- 

A few bad passes but he looked sharp early when the ball was in his hands. The inconsistency came once the Bills went more run heavy.... which is pretty much what I have been saying all season... he is better when the ball is in his hands than when he is handing off then being asked to make 1 throw. Then on that last drive when the Bills put the ball back in his hands and asked him to go win them a football game he delivered with a brilliant throw to Brown and then a laser to Kroft. 

I will keep saying it.... the Bills need to put the ball in this guy's hands more. They need to let him throw. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

B- 

A few bad passes but he looked sharp early when the ball was in his hands. The inconsistency came once the Bills went more run heavy.... which is pretty much what I have been saying all season... he is better when the ball is in his hands than when he is handing off then being asked to make 1 throw. Then on that last drive when the Bills put the ball back in his hands and asked him to go win them a football game he delivered with a brilliant throw to Brown and then a laser to Kroft. 

I will keep saying it.... the Bills need to put the ball in this guy's hands more. They need to let him throw. 

Agreed, though I take off the minus. The guy is CLUTCH. That's something that can't be taught.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Agreed, though I take off the minus. The guy is CLUTCH. That's something that can't be taught.

He's clutch, a gamer and a winner. Great traits to have and yeah you either have them or you don't, can't be taught.

6 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Don't forget about Singletary's fumble as well to snuff out a good drive lead by JA.  If someone thinks that's not all on Josh, well they don't know nothing about nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think B- is right 

And you know what? That's absolutely fine with me

6 hours ago, Easterner said:

One more time in iambic pentameter?

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

B- 

We continue to be in complete lockstep on Allen.

Most encouraging to me is that every time the staff lets the kid play football, he seems to step up and deliver. If they'd just trust him to make plays he'd grow faster, but what we need is in there. I'm sure of it.

• Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, Easterner said:

Not really. The ELO rating system on 538, which takes all plays and the opponent into account objectively and valued without bias has had him mostly between 10 and 15.

• Awesome! (+1) 1