Josh Allen - week FIFTEEN report card

rayray808

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

B- 

A few bad passes but he looked sharp early when the ball was in his hands. The inconsistency came once the Bills went more run heavy.... which is pretty much what I have been saying all season... he is better when the ball is in his hands than when he is handing off then being asked to make 1 throw. Then on that last drive when the Bills put the ball back in his hands and asked him to go win them a football game he delivered with a brilliant throw to Brown and then a laser to Kroft. 

I will keep saying it.... the Bills need to put the ball in this guy's hands more. They need to let him throw. 

Agreed.

I think they (Coaching) just enter certain games with the plan to not make any more mistakes than we have to. It is just in the DNA of the coaches. But, putting your young QB in 3 and 8 plus is ill advised, let him throw the darn ball on 1st and 2nd down.

6 hours ago, Easterner said:

We all know playing QB in the NFL is the hardest position in sports to play,  

which is why QB's get the big bucks.

Think of all the franchise QB's in the NFL who are too good to trade, 

but not good enough to win anything- Rivers, Ryan, Stafford, Carr, etc. etc.

Allen threw for 139 yards last night, 146 the week before. If those were Tyrod

Taylor's numbers he would be run out of town which he was. The defense won

the game last night. Allen did not. All rating systems have Allen between

25 and 30. No one is going to the Super Bowl throwing for 140 yards even with

no turnovers which is no gimme with Allen.

My system isn't marketed anywhere, as I really only post it here (and I haven't since week 5 because I'm a slacker), but I've got him 14th after last night and he was 13th going into this week. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Agreed.

I think they (Coaching) just enter certain games with the plan to not make any more mistakes than we have to. It is just in the DNA of the coaches. But, putting your young QB in 3 and 8 plus is ill advised, let him throw the darn ball on 1st and 2nd down.

I have just done a post on the plan and adjustment last night. I think it was largely a response to the way Pittsburgh was trying to defend us.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I do notice a complete 180 turnaround from last regarding his scrambling instincts. He's alot more hesitant. I know he's trying to stay in the pocket longer to develop but

a large portion of his running mojo is gone

Agreed. There was one play in particular where it looks like he wanted to run through a huge gap in the line, but he hesitated for a moment, and as a result a defender tackled him after just 4 yards. He probably would have picked up the 1st if he had just run right away. The coaches need to remind him it's okay to run if his instincts tell him to. IMO they coached it out of him.

• Like (+1) 1

B for me... the offense would have put more points on the board if beasley could catch, I'm sorry but a guy making his payday needs to catch both of those balls, both hit him in the hands and are catches receivers make every day in this league. 

The singletary fumble also cost us points, allen missed a wide open throw to beasley high but other than that played a pretty good game, I thought his decision-making was good against  a aggressive defense. All in all, not great but good 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I give him a B+. My main gripe is the near fumbles and batted passes. I put the INT all on Beasley. Josh saved an offense that couldn’t get out of its own way: drive killing drops, a drop that turned into a pick, fumbles, conservative Gore play-calling. If last night was the Super Bowl, either Josh or Tre White would’ve been MVP. For that reason, it is hard to give him below a B.

• Like (+1) 1

Something that some are not taking into account and not respecting is the Steelers defense. Go back and look at the numbers from week 4 on for Steelers D , the passer rating against is 64, routinely giving up 150 yards passing and 250 total yards against (or less), and turning the ball over, sacking the QB and tough to score on! And those numbers are even better at home. B- is perfectly reasonable when taking this into account.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Josh had his players drop 4 balls. Beasley 2, Brown and DiMarco. He should've went 17/25 1 td, 1 rush, 0 ints. It was a very good game for him but I do notice a complete 180 turnaround from last regarding his scrambling instincts. He's alot more hesitant. I know he's trying to stay in the pocket longer to develop but

a large portion of his running mojo is gone.

I agree with this

The importance of the game (playoff clinch, primetime, Away at Steelers under the lights, Top 5 defense) should give him a bump, on any other week this is a C type performance but I'd give him a B on the night.  A is probably too high and I am more of a Allen homer than hater.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

B for me... the offense would have put more points on the board if beasley could catch, I'm sorry but a guy making his payday needs to catch both of those balls, both hit him in the hands and are catches receivers make every day in this league. 

The singletary fumble also cost us points, allen missed a wide open throw to beasley high but other than that played a pretty good game, I thought his decision-making was good against  a aggressive defense. All in all, not great but good 

Beasley came up really small last night 1 catch for 6 yards. Some games the matchup just doesn't workout with him.  He's barely an NFL receiver for the most part.

• Like (+1) 1

Solid B for me.

And for the love of whom ever you belive, this WOs need to start catching those tough balls. Beasly had a rough game, he had a couple of drops, sure the INT was high but it was catchable. 

You have to consider the Defense we were playing and Dabs called a game trying to protect the game at all cost, he was playing not to lose (which I hate) until that master piece TD.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I disagree 100%

*  First off that was a brilliant back shoulder throw by Allen.  Mahomes & Rogers hit that pass all the time.  You do realize that the Steelers DB was called for PI on that play right?  That's what a great back shoulder throw does - catch it for a big gain or draw a PI.

*  Brown didn't really prevent a pick on that throw.  That was the moron Collingsworth trying to claim that the throw was almost intercepted.  Watch a replay and the DB would have had to make a spectacular play to INT that ball.  It was a good 50/50 ball by Allen and Brown did a nice job fighting for it and preventing any chance for an INT.  Pretty routine play by an NFL WR.

That POS Collinsworth was unbelievably negative about Allen.  That "almost interception" was a perfect example of it.

He absolutely prevented a likely pick on that play. It was literally right to the db, who had great position. I love allen, but man are there a lot of rose colored glasses in this thread when it comes to his play last night.

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Haha John Brown saved him because he made a contested catch!! First time in NFL history I have ever seen that play made!

Seeing two extremes in this thread, but that is not too unusual. Folks usually have an agenda, and none of us are completely unbiased.

I would give Josh a B- simply because he did not hurt this team when up against a really good defense, or put our defense in too bad a position and he made plays when he needed to make them. Yes, the pass to Beasley was too high and too hot, and he has to clean up that and his poor footwork that has creeped back into his game. I think that is part of growth. You don't wake up one day and your bad habits are gone, you sometimes have to go back to the basics and reset.

I know it is in there, because he had some fantastic form in Dallas, so it is just a matter of building on that foundation, and his QB coach going over the film with him to remind him over and over till it becomes second nature.

I like Allen a lot, but being more disciplined with his mechanics means that Allen will be able to hit those easy safe options when other teams are bringing the heat and will ensure our QB does not get carted off the field because he held onto the ball too long. I want him to have a long career as our Bills QB and a successful one.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m not happy with his running ability getting coached out of him

its a huge part of his game and he needs to find a balance

He hurt his ankle last week. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

He absolutely prevented a likely pick on that play. It was literally right to the db, who had great position. I love allen, but man are there a lot of rose colored glasses in this thread when it comes to his play last night.

I don't think it was an easy INT. It was more of a 50/50 ball...and yes he made a good play there. I actually think that the better play (hindsight being 20/20) may have been to run through the pattern and draw the DPI, but not really upset about it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

+1.  People don't look at the big picture....and he had only 3 of those 13 TO's in the last 9 games....I just don't see how people downright dislike his play.

I think because Allen is raw and the Bills use him in a way that is almost as unconventional as the way the Ravens use Jackson.  McD & Bean have a vision for how this team would look and Allen is their ideal QB.

I'm beginning to wonder if the powers that be in Buffalo were not only interested in Allen's physical attributes but liked his attitude just as much.  By "attitude" I mean his combination of cockiness and selflessness on the football field.  Allen will NEVER regret not throwing for 400 yards and 4 TD's as long as the team wins.  I don't think this guy gives a hoot about the stats.  He has the perfect ego for a McD coached team.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK 15: A

13/25 - 139 yards - 1 TD - 1 INT - 28 yards rushing 1 TD

Gadring beyond the stats tonight...

Definitely wearing those Homer glasses. You better not drive wearing those. It would be dangerous. Definitely an average grade. Not a fail, but just enough to win. C or C-. Defense again an A. Let us not even grade the rest of the Offense.

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.  IMO, that was a pretty routine play by NFL standards. 

Rather then looking at Allen's performance through rose colored glasses I like to think of it as watching the game with the understanding that we were on the road against an elite defense in a playoff level game.  And in this game our 2nd year, raw QB prospect made a lot more clutch plays then he made mistakes. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, simpleman said:

Definitely wearing those Homer glasses. You better not drive wearing those. It would be dangerous. Definitely an average grade. Not a fail, but just enough to win. C or C-. Defense again an A. Let us not even grade the rest of the Offense.

No excuse for an AFC East QB to go on the road against an AFC North opponent with a lesser record, barely complete over 50% of his passes, fall behind 10-7, and be forgiven simply because he accounts for 2 TDs and the best corner in the game bails him out with 2 huge INTs...

...Tom Brady should be embarrassed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.  IMO, that was a pretty routine play by NFL standards. 

Rather then looking at Allen's performance through rose colored glasses I like to think of it as watching the game with the understanding that we were on the road against an elite defense in a playoff level game.  And in this game our 2nd year, raw QB prospect made a lot more clutch plays then he made mistakes. 

As I’ve said elsewhere, I thought he played OK. Certainly not great, but he did his job late and got it done. The offense was generally bad last night - 260 yards.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That's crazy.  The defense gets an A.  Allen gets a C+. 

The pick was all on him and wasn't his only bad throw of the night.  Brown saved him on back to back deep throws, once catching it and once preventing a pick.

No. It wasn’t all on him. It was a high throw that his receiver had two hands on. That’s 60-40.

brown didn’t save him on that deep throw, it did exactly what it was supposed to. It drew the flag and it gave Brown a chance to make the play. The second one brown did help him. 

B for me. I said all week that I thought the Steelers Defense was overrated. I think, by and large, I was right- but they aren’t overrated in their ability to get turnovers. Josh played smart, didn’t make any bad decisions, and we won the game because of that (and because of our amazing defense catching ducks). When we needed it most, josh went and got 7. If we’d have settled for a fg, it’d have gone to overtime, and who knows then. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Josh had his players drop 4 balls. Beasley 2, Brown and DiMarco. He should've went 17/25 1 td, 1 rush, 0 ints. It was a very good game for him but I do notice a complete 180 turnaround from last regarding his scrambling instincts. He's alot more hesitant. I know he's trying to stay in the pocket longer to develop but

a large portion of his running mojo is gone.

I agree with this

Prime time game, on the road, in a place that is tough to play.

Playing a hot Pittsburgh team with one of the best defenses in the league.

Playing, for the most of the game, in a run heavy game plan that is not suited to his strengths.

Playing with the pressure of trying to secure a WC playoff birth, with divisional hopes still in play.

Takes his team, on his back, for the go ahead TD drive.

Solid B.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That's crazy.  The defense gets an A.  Allen gets a C+. 

The pick was all on him and wasn't his only bad throw of the night.  Brown saved him on back to back deep throws, once catching it and once preventing a pick

It 'd give a B, or B-. He was neutered too by the coaches which was odd, as they've rarely done that before. But as for the two long throws to Brown...it's SUPPOSED to happen a few times per game, throwing 50/50 balls and having your (star) receiver battle it out. As you saw, Brown caught one, and yes, played defense to prevent the INT... which is what a NFL level WR is supposed to do! I have no issue at all with attempting these two throws! 

• Like (+1) 2

Some great throws. Some completions the receivers have to work for. Some inaccurate throws. 

No way in hell its an A. I thought dallas was an A. Having said that, some key throws on 3rd and 4th down. 

C+ 

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Don't forget about Singletary's fumble as well to snuff out a good drive lead by JA.  If someone thinks that's not all on Josh, well they don't know nothing about nothing. 

Yeah I wanted to see what happened on that drive

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

If you think 52% completion percentage for sub 150 yards passing and an INT is higher than a C+ grade, you know less than ***** about this game. 

Ill take a win to clinch a playoff spot but if you think the offense won this game you are a real fanatic. 

Allen's performance was lack luster and average at best.   He made a few plays which puts him in the C range, which is AVERAGE.   He gets the + because he capitalized when it was absolutely necessary. 

You're exclusively looking at stats, which is ridiculous.

You know who has great stats? Andy Dalton. Antonio Brown. 

Where are they today?

Exactly.

Because stats alone are for losers. Winners go home and screw the prom queen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

It 'd give a B, or B-. He was neutered too by the coaches which was odd, as they've rarely done that before. But as for the two long throws to Brown...it's SUPPOSED to happen a few times per game, throwing 50/50 balls and having your (star) receiver battle it out. As you saw, Brown caught one, and yes, played defense to prevent the INT... which is what a NFL level WR is supposed to do! I have no issue at all with attempting these two throws! 

I agree with your assessment. Allen should be throwing more 50/50 balls. The play calling was overly conservative. After getting the last touchdown, the Bills just did run plays up the middle, which resulted in a few three and outs and gave the Steelers offense way more opportunities than they should of had. Glad the defense didn't get worn down and made the plays that they did.

I still don't get the series where the Bills had it first and goal and gave it to Gore three times? Gore does not have the speed to bounce it to the sidelines anymore. That was baffling!

Also, Duke Williams was inactive again, but Foster didn't take an offensive snap. If Foster wasn't going to play, why didn't the coaches make him inactive, have Duke in his place and give Duke a chance with having some 50/50 balls thrown his way? Did something happen behind the scenes as to why Williams hasn't played since being injured?

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No excuse for an AFC East QB to go on the road against an AFC North opponent with a lesser record, barely complete over 50% of his passes, fall behind 10-7, and be forgiven simply because he accounts for 2 TDs and the best corner in the game bails him out with 2 huge INTs...

...Tom Brady should be embarrassed.

On Daboll, not Allen.  A terribly called game again.  Allen was fine, however a few bad throws.  

But again we no longer want to see 300 yards, but 200 now is becoming a tough bar to reach.....

Funny only QB who threw for less yesterday was Brady

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

On Daboll, not Allen.  A terribly called game again.  Allen was fine, however a few bad throws.  

But again we no longer want to see 300 yards, but 200 now is becoming a tough bar to reach.....

Funny only QB who threw for less yesterday was Brady

I purposely wrote my post so that it applied to both Allen and Brady. Had I gone even more ambiguous, it could've applied to Rodgers, Goff, and Garoppolo too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Josh Allen was horrible again - he was not the reason for the win - Devlin Hodges was let's just be serious.

It's both scary and painful to watch him throw sometimes. He could have easily had two more fumbles - got lucky I guess.

He had a NUMBER of bad throws, and simply can't place the ball where needed many times even on the more simple of attempts.

Buffalo won last night on the strength of the Defense and some good hard running, and 4 or 5 turnovers from the Steelers.

GO BILLS.  

3 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

Josh Allen was horrible again - he was not the reason for the win - Devlin Hodges was let's just be serious.

It's both scary and painful to watch him throw sometimes. He could have easily had two more fumbles - got lucky I guess.

He had a NUMBER of bad throws, and simply can't place the ball where needed many times even on the more simple of attempts.

Buffalo won last night on the strength of the Defense and some good hard running, and 4 or 5 turnovers from the Steelers.

GO BILLS.  

Not as painful as reading your analyses...

• Thank you (+1) 1

@Socal-805 stop embarrassing yourself.  It's hard to watch.

32 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

You're exclusively looking at stats, which is ridiculous.

You know who has great stats? Andy Dalton. Antonio Brown. 

Where are they today?

Exactly.

Because stats alone are for losers. Winners go home and screw the prom queen.

I have no idea why I read this and thought it said porn queen.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

GO BILLS.  

Wow I know we can talk "Glass Half Empty", but you are 99% Empty......

• Haha (+1) 2