Josh Allen - week FIFTEEN report card

rayray808

I'd give him a C.

Josh is that guy who is going to have a handful of errant throws per game along with a couple of dimes.  Right now, that's just who he is.

Brown and Beasley both dropped catchable passes but Josh has to stop hanging them out to dry in the middle of the field.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

No excuse for an AFC East QB to go on the road against an AFC North opponent with a lesser record, barely complete over 50% of his passes, fall behind 10-7, and be forgiven simply because he accounts for 2 TDs and the best corner in the game bails him out with 2 huge INTs...

...Tom Brady should be embarrassed.

Tommy boy has been playing so bad some people think he should retire so that’s comparison may not prove what you think it does.

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

A is very generous. I’d give him a B. Bad ball to Beasley resulting in a TO in a grind out game was not great. 

As I watched our defensive backs jump into the air, put both hands on the ball, control it and bring it down for an interception I thought, why can't Beas do that?  Anyone else?

9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That's crazy.  The defense gets an A.  Allen gets a C+. 

The pick was all on him and wasn't his only bad throw of the night.  Brown saved him on back to back deep throws, once catching it and once preventing a pick.

So because our WR does EXACTLY what they are suppose to do; does EXACTLY what they are being paid millions to do?  Really?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Beasley came up really small last night 1 catch for 6 yards. Some games the matchup just doesn't workout with him.  He's barely an NFL receiver for the most part.

when they showed the picture of Allen and how small all his receivers are - his targets are quite small that he has to throw to.  Most of the time these guys are not going to be able to jump up and get those balls, they have to be thrown into their small windows to make the catch.  The other thing is too the smaller receivers are easier to knock of their routes or beat their defender.  

C-

It’s tough grading games like this when our receivers prove completely incapable of making catches that are even a little bit difficult. What would Josh’s numbers have looked like if Beasley and Brown had hauled in a couple of those early ones? 

I was texting with a buddy (Bears fan) during the game and he’s convinced Allen and Trubisky are the same QB. Both are really good outside the pocket, improvising on the run, etc. Both struggle with accuracy and take too long to read a defense. He pointed out Mitch made the pro bowl last year despite his rep as a bad QB. It would appear non-Bills fans still aren’t sold. 

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

It 'd give a B, or B-. He was neutered too by the coaches which was odd, as they've rarely done that before. But as for the two long throws to Brown...it's SUPPOSED to happen a few times per game, throwing 50/50 balls and having your (star) receiver battle it out. As you saw, Brown caught one, and yes, played defense to prevent the INT... which is what a NFL level WR is supposed to do! I have no issue at all with attempting these two throws! 

Yes, agreed and no I didn’t have any issue with those throws.  I was reacting more to the general inaccuracies (3 or 4 misses), but he should get credit for moving the ball when needed late, and the nice TD throw.

It’s only going to be good defenses from here forward, so he will need better production on Saturday and in the playoffs.

34 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Tommy boy has been playing so bad some people think he should retire so that’s comparison may not prove what you think it does.

Two things here:

1) as I said above, with a very minor tweak in the wording it could apply to a half dozen QBs this week.

2) the intent wasn't to prop up Allen; the point is that it isn't always pretty for good QBs. Sometimes getting the job done looks an awful lot like what Josh did last night 

48 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

Josh Allen was horrible again - he was not the reason for the win - Devlin Hodges was let's just be serious.

It's both scary and painful to watch him throw sometimes. He could have easily had two more fumbles - got lucky I guess.

He had a NUMBER of bad throws, and simply can't place the ball where needed many times even on the more simple of attempts.

Buffalo won last night on the strength of the Defense and some good hard running, and 4 or 5 turnovers from the Steelers.

GO BILLS.  

The more you say it, the more we win, so keep going.

They went into a hostile environment and beat a 9-win team that is fighting for their lives, and did so despite turning the ball over twice.

But jOSh AlLeN iS TErrIBlE !!1!1!!1

39 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

The Bills are 28 in the league is passing yards/game - I suppose this has nothing to do with Josh Allen...

He's missing guys on easy throws that are wide open.  

40 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Duck came out at halftime and drove down the field to take the lead with a touchdown.

Guess I just struggle to understand why Allen winning games bothers some people so much

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

Josh Allen was horrible again - he was not the reason for the win - Devlin Hodges was let's just be serious.

It's both scary and painful to watch him throw sometimes. He could have easily had two more fumbles - got lucky I guess.

He had a NUMBER of bad throws, and simply can't place the ball where needed many times even on the more simple of attempts.

Buffalo won last night on the strength of the Defense and some good hard running, and 4 or 5 turnovers from the Steelers.

GO BILLS.  

You know you're a pessimist when bad things, like fumbles, don't happen because you're lucky, but good things like wins happen because of the other team's quarterback.

If you think Allen can't throw a football, you missed his first throw last night. If you think he's scary and painful to watch, you missed his game winning drive last night.

I'll never understand why it's so difficult for people to enjoy this ride.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Two things here:

1) as I said above, with a very minor tweak in the wording it could apply to a half dozen QBs this week.

2) the intent wasn't to prop up Allen; the point is that it isn't always pretty for good QBs. Sometimes getting the job done looks an awful lot like what Josh did last night 

The more you say it, the more we win, so keep going.

They went into a hostile environment and beat a 9-win team that is fighting for their lives, and did so despite turning the ball over twice.

But jOSh AlLeN iS TErrIBlE !!1!1!!1

Oh no doubt.

i will also add that “not pretty” for Josh has gotten so much better already. Not pretty last year or earlier this year was a multi TO and multi sack game. Games that your QB flat out loses for you. He doesn’t do that anymore, which means we can really hang with anyone.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

Oh no doubt.

i will also add that “not pretty” for Josh has gotten so much better already. Not pretty last year or earlier this year was a multi TO and multi sack game. Games that your QB flat out loses for you. He doesn’t do that anymore, which means we can really hang with anyone.

Indeed

If his version of not pretty means getting it done with timely scores on the road against top-5 defensive units, then he's going to play in this league for a long time.

C+/B- is fair I think.  Allen did enough to win in a game against a stellar defense where we had a +3 turnover margin.  He had a few excellent throws, 10 or so good throws, 3 passes batted down (one of which was probably on Ford) and 10 or so throws that were not good.  He had a nice TD run, a short, tough run for a first down and a really good run on 3rd and long that set up a chance to go for it on 4th (which we made on a completion to Brown).

The pick was mostly on him - it was a high fastball.  Beasley jumped and was fully extended and, sure, he gets paid well so it’d have been nice for him to have managed to pull it in, but it’s got to be a better throw especially if it’s a bullet.  The 40 yard completion to Brown was underthrown and Brown made a great play. At first I thought it might’ve been back shoulder throw but watching the replay that should not have been the read.  Brown was in front of and slightly outside of the DB while the throw was short and inside.  That’s all on Allen.  Then he throws a worse ball that Brown had to play defense on followed by one he has one batted down.  Then he throws that dime to Kroft in the end zone for a TD.  A perfect pass.

So that’s Allen.  A tough competitor who can wow you on one play and then make you wonder what the hell happened on the next.  Or vice versa.  If he becomes more consistent the sky really is the limit for him.  He started out nicely against the Steelers, but things got really uneven for him after he rushed for the TD.  I’m not sure what changed.  

I agree with the B. Stats may look like a C but watch the game and you see something different. Would love to have seen the Bills come out and thrash the Steelers but that is not realistic as the Steelers D came to play. Josh did just enough to won. No glaring mistakes other than holding the ball too long occasionally. JA put up a Duck Hodges game of the past three weeks and a victory. Good for the team but not flashing for the QB. 

A lot QBs are "rythm passers", they need to get in the flow more than others. It's clearly the case for Josh. When he's on a roll, the tempo is fast, etc. he is suddenly very accurate. When the offense is sputtering and run heavy, he gets inaccurate. I mean, it's like that for every QB but even more so for him, which is not a good trait. But thankfully, he is mentally tough and not easily rattled so he could be awful for long stretches and suddenly get hot for a few drives. And pressure doesn't phase him, he can be clutch for sure.

Very weird combo but I'll take it! As a fan I'll gladly take his weaknesses to get his strengths! He wins, he leads, and he is entertaining as can be. Snif, he's my quarterback, snif.

11 hours ago, KD in CA said:

The pick was all on him and wasn't his only bad throw of the night.  Brown saved him on back to back deep throws, once catching it and once preventing a pick.

The throw to Brown was a great throw which I would expect a great player like Brown to make a play on that. Set up perfectly for a pass interference call, he made a great grab. 

• Like (+1) 1

B

The interception was slightly overthrown but still should have been caught.  He led the team against one of the best Defenses in the NFL, in the 4th quarter when the game mattered to a victory.

He did what it took to win!  The kid is a winner

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

The throw to Brown was a great throw which I would expect a great player like Brown to make a play on that. Set up perfectly for a pass interference call, he made a great grab. 

Yeah I thought the deep pass to brown was a good throw. I watched it again and the timing was good on that, didnt give the defender much of a chance. 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Indeed

If his version of not pretty means getting it done with timely scores on the road against top-5 defensive units, then he's going to play in this league for a long time.

Yeah I get weird early Flacco-vibes out of Josh. He’ll follow up an inaccurate pass with a dart that only a handful of QB’s could make, and when he’s hot, he elevates his game to a different level. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SmokinES3 said:

What is the scale though? Do we take into account the Defense he's facing when grading? If so, B.

If not, C-.

This is the problem with these "grade Allen" threads.  We don't know the game plan, we don't know Daboll's calls, we don't know Josh's audibles, we don't know whether the receivers ran the right routes, we don't know if the line executed their protections, we don't know whether Josh picked up the right takeout for dinner on his way home from the game.

People are grading him based on their perceptions or biased lens of their expectations.  This is akin to scoring Josh on a math test when he was taking a chemistry test.  The coaching staff are the ones that wrote the test and the only ones qualified to grade.  Sure, we have the "eye test" and that is what makes a thread like this fun, at times.   But man, we all need to maintain a better perspective of responsibilities and accountabilities.

33 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Question for the “Brown saved Allen” brigade...

Do you think Patrick Mahomes is a good QB?

.....because he throws about 5 of those per game. 

Trust your receivers...and smurfs :) 

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The offense also forfeited with like 8 minutes left in the game.... that strategy worked against Duck Hodges, it won’t work in the playoffs against a Watson or Mahomes.

Agree.  The obvious question is would McD and Daboll shut the offense down with 8 minutes left in a game vs. Watson or Mahomes?

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Question for the “Brown saved Allen” brigade...

Do you think Patrick Mahomes is a good QB?

.....because he throws about 5 of those per game. 

It's not just Mahomes.  It's everyone, everywhere, all the time.  Many a PI is a result of throws like this.  It's part of the gameplan.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, VW82 said:

C-

It’s tough grading games like this when our receivers prove completely incapable of making catches that are even a little bit difficult. What would Josh’s numbers have looked like if Beasley and Brown had hauled in a couple of those early ones? 

I was texting with a buddy (Bears fan) during the game and he’s convinced Allen and Trubisky are the same QB. Both are really good outside the pocket, improvising on the run, etc. Both struggle with accuracy and take too long to read a defense. He pointed out Mitch made the pro bowl last year despite his rep as a bad QB. It would appear non-Bills fans still aren’t sold. 

Most people aren’t sold imo...

12 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Agree.  The obvious question is would McD and Daboll shut the offense down with 8 minutes left in a game vs. Watson or Mahomes?

It's not just Mahomes.  It's everyone, everywhere, all the time.  Many a PI is a result of throws like this.  It's part of the gameplan.

Exactly. They did just what they needed to in order to defeat PIT, and took no chances with cheap turnovers. Not the same as they would need vs anyone else. In a win or go home situation, I don’t believe they’d have the same approach. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Exactly. They did just what they needed to in order to defeat PIT, and took no chances with cheap turnovers. Not the same as they would need vs anyone else. In a win or go home situation, I don’t believe they’d have the same approach. 

Hey, so let's have a talk about your predictions for this game. Feeling sheepish or nah?

12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

No... Brown actually played like and NFL WR and competed for the ball. 

People looking for perfect balls 40 yards downfield need to watch other QBs whole games and not just the highlight reels.  

It the exception not the rule. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Hey, so let's have a talk about your predictions for this game. Feeling sheepish or nah?

No, not at all. Pressure is totally off. They won’t get any calls in Foxboro, but they don’t have the crazy environment that PIT has. Fans were booing in NE the other week. Just didn’t like that PIT matchup all year. Probably ptsd from the ‘90’s teams . If Allen and Daboll are better, they’ll have a good shot at this. Brady has looked worse lately than he did in OP 

Allen wasn't very good but he made a few good throws when it mattered. 

The fumbles and his propensity to take sacks on the cusp of field goal range need to get corrected. There must have been like 6-7 times this season when we had a 1st down somewhere between the 35-40 yard line in opposition territory, and he takes a drive killing 10 yard sack. He needs to learn to throw the ball away. 

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yeah I get weird early Flacco-vibes out of Josh. He’ll follow up an inaccurate pass with a dart that only a handful of QB’s could make, and when he’s hot, he elevates his game to a different level. 

I will gladly take that if Allen plays like Flacco did in the 2013 postseason. 

• Like (+1) 1