Former Bill Robert Woods still AWL from Rams (edit: now back)

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/20/la-rams-robert-woods-update-news-week-12/
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/19/la-rams-robert-woods-update-personal-return/

" On Wednesday, McVay did open his press conference with an update on Woods. He remains away from the team and it’s unclear when he could return. “Robert Woods is still handling his family matter. He will not be here today,” McVay said.

As for whether Woods will play on Monday night against the Ravens, that’s to be determined. McVay was asked when Woods would need to return to the team by in order to play this week, but the coach wouldn’t give a firm answer. He did acknowledge that Woods’ experience helps, and that he’d likely be able to play on a short week of practice.

After the game, McVay didn’t have much of an update on Woods, saying he had to talk to the wide receiver before commenting on when he might be back with the team. On Monday, it was much of the same from McVay in terms of Woods’ status, but he did say there’s no concern about Woods’ wellbeing.

“No, we feel good. He’s in a good place,” McVay said. “We feel good about where the situation is at and his wellbeing, and that’s very, very important to us.”

McVay added that Woods is obviously still handling the personal matter and that the team will have “a little bit more of an update on that later on in the week.” Right now, they’re remaining quiet on the situation out of respect for Woods and his family.

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting. This is the first I have heard of his absence. Some guys fly private jets home to have babies get back in time for the game, and some take more time.  I would normally guess that this has something to do with dissatisfaction of how he is being used, but I guess I will give him the benefit of a doubt.

• Sad 1

I saw this before their game last week.  I hope everything is alright.  

It seems strange that there is very little info dealing with this,  but I wish him the best.

He was a good guy that wanted to be back home for family and this seems family related- so give him strength.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Of all the ones that got away, he’s the one I most wish was still in Buffalo, and I belive would’ve fit the process. 

I feel the same way.

He was one of the receivers I wanted from that draft class.

I get the feeling that he did not want to be here when his contract was up.

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Of all the ones that got away, he’s the one I most wish was still in Buffalo, and I belive would’ve fit the process. 

I think McDermott felt the same way.  It sounded like Woods really wanted to be back on the West Coast and McDermott respected that.

He wanted to build a team of people that want to be here and I think he knew that Robert Woods had other places on his mind.

10 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Speaking as former military, it's AWOL.  ;)

I don't think so?  AWOL is absent with out leave.

From the way McVay is talking, Woods is AWL - absent, with leave.

14 minutes ago, JoeF said:

One of my favorite ex-Bills.  Always giving max effort with lots of passion.  Sounds like health of an immediate family member but I hope it’s something that can heal and improve

Mine too.  McVay's comments manage to be completely ambiguous on this point.

18 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Maybe Bob is tired of Goff not being able to read a defense. He's had 5 games with less than 50 yards receiving this year compared to only 2 stat lines last year.

Not if he has permission ....  ;);) :D:D

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

24 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yep, it's too bad the Bills had a s-h-i-t-s-h-o-w at QB and another change at HC the year he became a FA.  He would've been a great "process" guy.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You may be technically correct, but I always thought and recognized AWOL as the proper term ... that is, if you want the reader to understand the gist of the post.  Therefore, AWOL would be a better choice.  

Furthermore, the Sci-fi series that started in the late 60's is called Star Track ... not Star Trek.

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Maybe Bob is tired of Goff not being able to read a defense. He's had 5 games with less than 50 yards receiving this year compared to only 2 stat lines last year.

"AWL" wouldn't be nearly as serious, would it?  

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Also known as "on leave."

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

A few weeks ago his wife posted on social media about a stalker. I’m hoping they aren’t related. 

How do you even know that? Did they serve you a restraining order?   ?

I hope it has nothing to do with anything like that. There be lots of crazy out there! 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Former Bill Robert Woods still AWL from Rams
  • Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Former Bill Robert Woods still AWL from Rams (edit: now back)
18 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He might still be at the afterparty for the tv show The Rookie, starring Nathan Fillion. Bob was a guest star. I think he's got an agent looking at good roles for him.

Thanks for the reminder on The Rookie.  I got a new DVR in August and forgot about it and didn’t set it up to record.  Glad we have On Demand

18 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

You may be technically correct, but I always thought and recognized AWOL as the proper term ... that is, if you want the reader to understand the gist of the post.  Therefore, AWOL would be a better choice.  

Furthermore, the Sci-fi series that started in the late 60's is called Star Track ... not Star Trek.

Wow. Yet more proof that people (not yourself specifically, just the one who made me hit reply) will argue about anything.  I see AWL and I know exactly what is meant.  I see AWOL and I'm thinking "that doesn't sound like the Bob Woods I know."  T'was the proper usage. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, klos63 said:

Even if he has permission to be absent?

There is no "permission to be absent", per se.

Certainly if you have a formation/meeting/etc. your supervisor can approve your not being there - but that's for a part of the day.

If it is a whole day or more, you'd need a pass or leave form. Even if retroactively.

---Note this is based on Army regulations, specifically AR 630-10. The Manual for Courts Martial (MCM) and other components may differ slightly, but not significantly.

Even when traveling between job locations (Permanent Change of Station) you are on a leave status signed by your commander.

It sounds rough, but it actually protects the military member in case of an incident. They're covered under military medical and/or insurance because they're on authorized duty - even while on leave or on a pass.

Anything other than a short term (i.e. few hours vocal) or officially on leave or pass signed by their commander, and they are AWOL.

AWOL greater than 30 days can be classified as desertion, and have significantly different consequences if during peace vs. war.

Not to argue semantics, but as stated earlier there is no "AWL" (Absent With Leave) in the military. Also as stated - that's leave. Your duty status is "Leave" of some sort.

Edited by timekills17