I believe yesterday was a bit of a fluke

Steptide

Yes, we could be the worst team in the NFL. Time will tell, but hear me out a little. 

Last year against the saints our starting qb went 9/18 for 56 yards. Our defense gave up 280 yards rushing. We lost the game 47-10, and had a late 4th quarter td by none other than nate Peterman. Ironically had Peterman not come in late in the 4th, the final score would've probably been 47-3, at home. 

Yes, yesterday was horrendous, and a terrible way to start the season, but I don't believe what we saw yesterday is gonna be what we see all season. It'll be really interesting to see how the bills respond next week at home 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Good post.  Let's watch the game on Sunday and I think we'll be in better position on how to assess things.  By the end of Sunday, we'll see:

- Allen start a game (hopefully)

- The team play at home

- How they respond to a bad loss (last year, they responded quite well)

- What adjustments the coaching staff makes after seeing their personnel in regular season action 

Next week could very well be a disaster too, but let's at least watch the game, see how it plays out and be in a more educated position to make assessments about where we're headed.

One thing in our favor is that we don't yet know just how good the Ravens are, this year.

That changes a lot in the NFL from year to year and who knows, maybe they will be one of the stronger teams in the east this year.

Having said that, I suspect they are NOT a powerhouse this year and in fact they represent the easier end of the competition we will face.  I am not saying we will get a string of franchise worst defeats this year, but we aren't going to win many games.

15 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Yes, we could be the worst team in the NFL. Time will tell, but hear me out a little. 

Last year against the saints our starting qb went 9/18 for 56 yards. Our defense gave up 280 yards rushing. We lost the game 47-10, and had a late 4th quarter td by none other than nate Peterman. Ironically had Peterman not come in late in the 4th, the final score would've probably been 47-3, at home. 

Yes, yesterday was horrendous, and a terrible way to start the season, but I don't believe what we saw yesterday is gonna be what we see all season. It'll be really interesting to see how the bills respond next week at home 

so, your saying it's gonna get worse?

23 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Unfortunately we play tough teams and a lot of them are away games. I honestly think were looking at 0-8 or 1-7

30 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Except that Taylor is a better QB than Peterman and the OL wasnt missing 5 Pro Bowls across it through 3 starters no longer here.  Anyone who thinks Peterman is better than TT should never post again.  It was time for a change and I think Allen has a great future, so glad we traded TT and got back that 3rd round pick.  But Peterman is not an NFL QB, period. Big difference.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If Peterman remains the starter yesterday isn't a fluke. It's going to be a rough year. But I think this season will be a fluke. In time Bills fans will realize this was a tank season, to prepare for the long term.

Agreed.  And the way they did it is pretty clever (i.e. having $54 million in dead cap).  

McD can save face and say they tried their hardest with what they had to work with. 

Getting rid of bad contracts and players that didn't fit their system for draft capital AND subtly setting up your tank by handicapping your team for a season with all that dead money?  Double-whammy right there.  

Edited by Capco
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hate to break it to you.  Yesterday was no fluke.  We are very young at LB except Lorax; we knew going into the season that we get manhandled in the interior of the OL.  We knew this.  We knew Juan was going nowhere.  We knew the Ravens would stack the box and press up on the receivers.  We knew they would have trouble getting open.  We knew Peterman scares the bejebus out of everyone when he throws to the perimeter.  We knew all of this.  Some may have refused to believe it, but we knew it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

blowouts of that magnitude are kind of an anomaly anymore in a league that has a bunch of parity. so I'd say based off the odds alone, it was flukey. though I do think that if Peterman keeps playing those odds of similar games go up considerably 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I appreciate the optimism but that wasn’t a fluke. This team is not good and has WAY more holes than last year. The saving grace will be Allen’s development. If he becomes a good QB the record this year won’t matter. 

To me that's all I can hope for now.  If we go 2-14 or worse but I see Allen develop and has command of the offense; goes out and actually makes great reads and throws and shows he's got this, I'll accept that because then you know what you have to do after that.  You have the QB, now just build around him.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree. One game does not decide the season. I think the thing I learned is that the Ravens are for real this year. They spent a lot of money revamping the offense and it appears to have worked for them. And Flacco is healthy and really playing well. They could be a playoff contender.

The Bills are a team that can't contend with the big dogs, but are well prepared and coached up to beat the mediocre and bad teams most of the time, at least that's how they were last year.

The weather was a huge factor yesterday. The wind and rain made Peterman's noodle arm even more problematic, and the slippery field/ball was part of the reason for the drops and lack of separation.

It's not an excuse - obviously both teams had the same circumstances. But in the NFL today with major roster turnover and limited practices it takes all of September to figure out what you have. 

2 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

The weather was a huge factor yesterday. The wind and rain made Peterman's noodle arm even more problematic, and the slippery field/ball was part of the reason for the drops and lack of separation.

It's not an excuse - obviously both teams had the same circumstances. But in the NFL today with major roster turnover and limited practices it takes all of September to figure out what you have. 

Noodle arm is one thing, but not seeing or not throwing to wide open guys is another.  There were times Peterman had guys open but he wouldn't pull the trigger.  Not sure if he saw them.   Is he still living in San Diego?  I dunno.

Edited by NewEraBills

37 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I think yesterday's performance is very much repeatable.  This Oline looked exactly like they did in preseason action against starters.  The offense was just as terrible against a starting defense and our defense had no answers.  Much like, wait for it.....preseason when playing against first stringers. 

Everyone was happy to see the big contracts go and "Process" guys coming in.  We filled holes with guys who just aren't as good as the players they replaced. 

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I appreciate the optimism but that wasn’t a fluke. This team is not good and has WAY more holes than last year. The saving grace will be Allen’s development. If he becomes a good QB the record this year won’t matter. 

this as well as edmund's development.  it looks like most everything else this season will be background noise.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, teef said:

this as well as edmund's development.  it looks like most everything else this season will be background noise.

Yup.  I'm praying that these 2 can stay healthy for all 16 games.  They will get experience and the rough season will build character.  

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Well we sure cant be any worse.

So there's that

Is there a Rasmus Dahlin in the NFL 2019 draft?

I have to say that Rasmus Dahlin continues to put a smile on my face, and I am thankful that we have him given what looks to be a very long and depressing football season.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1

New "O" Coach was impressive.  Bench McCoy and save him for next year.  Great new punter.  A steal.  Need him.  "D" will be OK if their not on the field for 45 minutes a game but they will be.  A shame.  Too many years we have said wait till next year.  I only have so many left.  

59 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

One thing in our favor is that we don't yet know just how good the Ravens are, this year.

That changes a lot in the NFL from year to year and who knows, maybe they will be one of the stronger teams in the east this year.

Having said that, I suspect they are NOT a powerhouse this year and in fact they represent the easier end of the competition we will face.  I am not saying we will get a string of franchise worst defeats this year, but we aren't going to win many games.

It is one thing to get picked apart by Drew Brees and a high powered Saints offense but it is another thing to get picked apart by a middle of the road Ravens offense led by Joe Flacco. Just wait until we get Rivers next week and Rodgers in week 4. Lord help us when we get Brady. I think we may see some records set if this is the status quo.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

After we got our faces pounded in by the Saints last year,we went out to visit the Chargers for another complete beating.

McD is getting pretty good at one thing in Buffalo.  Having his team get blown out!

But anyway, I'd go ahead and roll with Allen.  You could see at the game yesterday, his passes have more velocity than Peterman and get there half second quicker which makes all the difference in the world.  Allen's throws from the end zone view had that same look as Flacco's passes.  It seems obvious, but when you see it in person the point gets hammered home that Allen has special physical talent.  Now, when he can read a defense and have good pocket awareness he'll be a good QB,

Denial 

this really is a bad football team. 

The biggest concern is ALL the assets put in this defense. And this defense is what this regime Built was EMBARRASSED 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

you're in the Denial stage of grief. 

last year was a total fluke

they couldn't even tank it all away

Peterman was such garbage they had to put T'Rod back in and even made the playoffs on a fluke

‘A bit’?

As others have said, there have been several blowouts in McDermott’s short tenure. I’m having a hard time thinking this is a fluke.

It can’t get much worse than that, but I guess I was way in the wrong to enter this season with optimism. They seem every bit as bad as the most pessimistic fans told me they’d be.

37 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

blowouts of that magnitude are kind of an anomaly anymore in a league that has a bunch of parody. so I'd say based off the odds alone, it was flukey. though I do think that if Peterman keeps playing those odds of similar games go up considerably 

One out of three McProcess losses have been by 20 points or more.

And yes, we are definitely a “parody” of an NFL team. In a league with “parity”, you gotta be really trying to be as bad as we are.