I'll be first to ask: Would you fire Mike Tomlin?

Ennjay

I don't even understand why this is a question.  

The Steelers go deep into the playoffs almost every year... and even today when people are questioning his decision-making, the steelers scored 14 points on 4th downs in situations where the Bills would have definitely punted.  

Steelers would have to be crazy to fire Tomlin and he'd have a new job within 48 hours if they did..  

5 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

I don't even understand why this is a question.  

The Steelers go deep into the playoffs almost every year... and even today when people are questioning his decision-making, the steelers scored 14 points on 4th downs in situations where the Bills would have definitely punted.  

Steelers would have to be crazy to fire Tomlin and he'd have a new job within 48 hours if they did..  

Since 2011 season Steelers only went deep in playoffs once ...

No, they were a Jesse James TD away from home field throughout... He definitely didn't have his team prepared today though, not on the defensive side of the ball.

I agree, he's nothing special but his record as a HC speaks for itself, nobody is canning a HC coming off the season he just had combined with how good his resume looks on paper. 

27 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Does Haley coach the defense too?

No. But if you watch the game you would understand how many asinine calls he made today. If you watch Steelers games you would understand this isn't an isolated incident. 

The only reason they were in the game were 4 ridiculous catches for TDs. 

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

The onside kick decision was horrible.   He'll get ripped for that and rightfully so.  A kickoff and a 3 and out or close which is far more likely than getting possession with an onside kick gets you the ball with some time still down by only 7.  Bonehead call.  Absolutely awful. 

A three and out ? ... The Steelers defense were awful all day long, if they had kicked off they never would've gotten the ball back. The onside kick was one of the most pitiful I've ever seen.

No, I wouldn't fire him.

The guy is a winner year in and year out. The roster has turned over under him at everywhere besides QB and while Ben is good, he's not in the top 5 imo.

The roster has stayed good across the board and performed well. Yea, he's only got one super bowl. But they also have to go through the pats like everyone else in the AFC. He deserves some credit for their sustained success. It's not in spite of him in my opinion.

Frankly he should have been fired when he tripped that one Baltimore player a few years back along the sideline.  He lacks integrity and I'm surprised the Rooney family would stand for it this long.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Tomlin is a good coach but not great.

I get he has 1 ring but he fell in the perfect situation.

Came in with Ben, (a future hall of fame QB) and 2 very experienced coordinators in Lebeau (one of the best d coordinators ever) and I believe Bruce Arians.

I wouldn’t fire him, but if there’s another early exit for their standards next year , then I think your question would seem very legitimate 

Edited by billsfan11

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I think Tomlin is a good coach but not great.

I get he has 2 rings but he fell in the perfect situation.

Came in with Ben, (a future hall of fame QB) and 2 very experienced coordinators in Lebeau (one of the best d coordinators ever) and I believe Bruce Arians.

I wouldn’t fire him, but if there’s another early exit for their standards next year , then I think your question would seem very legitimate 

He has one ring, with Cowher's leftovers

Second Super Bowl was a loss, but in one of the better Super Bowls of recent memory

Tomlin is safe as long as he has Ben.  Then he gets a mulligan the year after Ben hangs it up.  The rumblings will start during the second year after Ben retires

Third year after Ben retires, Tomlin will be calling games for CBS or Fox

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

He has one ring, with Cowher's leftovers

Second Super Bowl was a loss, but in one of the better Super Bowls of recent memory

Tomlin is safe as long as he has Ben.  Then he gets a mulligan the year after Ben hangs it up.  The rumblings will start during the second year after Ben retires

Third year after Ben retires, Tomlin will be calling games for CBS or Fox

Oh sorry, you’re correct it is 1 ring. Thanks for the correction 

Tomlin should have been fired years ago...hes another version of chuck pagano.

He came to the steelers from a defensive background with his scheme being the cover 2

he wisely kept dick lebeau as def coordinator...and since his initial year the defence has been a mess

if hes not improving the defence which is supposed to be his side of the ball what is he doing?

the steelers have underachieved under him id argue hes one of the worst coaches in the nfl given the talent at 

his disposal.

3 hours ago, Ennjay said:

He's not a bad coach but he's not special either -- he's no legend.  Seems to me the Steelers are kind of stale and they should have done better most of this year, not just today.  Would you rearrange the coaching just to freshen things up?  Or leave things as they are and hope for better results next year?

Clock management today was not good. Should have kicked the FG right after the long reception, poor use of timeouts.

• Like (+1) 1

I was driving and seeing the Updates: I was like, get one play off and if no TD, kick the Field goal then ONSIDE KICK.

SO STUPID.

and later I read that they Onside kicked it down 7??? 

DUDE IS WHACK no wat im sayin.

Then I be like membering the famous trip on the sideline.  

I be make him pack his stuff like 5 year ago no wat I'm saying

Edited by KW95

4 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

They win is spite of him.

BTW - Edit is a tool that should be used sometimes.

I was posting while driving, I don't really proofread

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

He never spoke out against Villenueva, you buffoon, and I dare you to prove otherwise.

Wow, snowflake you're really sensitive... It might get a little warm in here and you're going to melt but guess what, he did by not supporting his player. He then allowed his player to apologize for something he had no business to apologize for. Tomlin is a little B word coward. They were plenty of players on that team that were sourced is saying they did not agree with staying in that locker room and Tomlin and his team... However many that was... All those special little snowflakes decided the best thing they could do is ignore the topic.

And when it came down at the one man with balls on that team wanted to make his own personal statement tuck his dick Tomlin hid.

People seem to be afraid to say anything bad about him. The guy won a super bowl with another guys players. All he’s done since then, is let that Defense go to **** over time and find a way to not win the big game. They also have been carried by incredible offensive talent and OC’s. The guy will just say some off the wall bull **** really loud and stern so that people think he’s some sort of genius. I think he is a terrible coach and I would want nothing to do with him. Hopefully they keep him. Some of the in game decisions that guy makes are incredible. The team has the best WR in the NFL, the best RB, a hall of fame QB, countless other weapons and they can never get over the hump. The only team that did was the team that Cower built and habded off.

No way. That’s an organization that knows what the hell its doing. One family has owned it for three generations. They’ve had what, four coaches in 50 years? They are the model of consistency and have the rings to prove it. 

5 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

The onside kick decision was horrible.   He'll get ripped for that and rightfully so.  A kickoff and a 3 and out or close which is far more likely than getting possession with an onside kick gets you the ball with some time still down by only 7.  Bonehead call.  Absolutely awful. 

Hindsight and postmortem expertise is 20/20 with you

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ennjay said:

He's not a bad coach but he's not special either -- he's no legend.  Seems to me the Steelers are kind of stale and they should have done better most of this year, not just today.  Would you rearrange the coaching just to freshen things up?  Or leave things as they are and hope for better results next year?

No. That defense played poorly.  Ever since Polamalu retired that team has never been the same

17 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

People seem to be afraid to say anything bad about him. The guy won a super bowl with another guys players. All he’s done since then, is let that Defense go to **** over time and find a way to not win the big game. They also have been carried by incredible offensive talent and OC’s. The guy will just say some off the wall bull **** really loud and stern so that people think he’s some sort of genius. I think he is a terrible coach and I would want nothing to do with him. Hopefully they keep him. Some of the in game decisions that guy makes are incredible. The team has the best WR in the NFL, the best RB, a hall of fame QB, countless other weapons and they can never get over the hump. The only team that did was the team that Cower built and habded off.

So the coach has no part in getting and coaching this "incredible offensive talent"?  I believe Cowher was the one who lucked out with getting Ben and riding him to a championship.

5 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

honestly think if they got a quick three and out Dug would have punted to gain 13 yards.  

5 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

With the Talent the Steelers have they should be making deep playoff runs every year. I don't think Tomlin is anything more than a slightly above average HC.

I just think this is a silly question.  Let's look at his tenure and ask this question.  Outside of Bill Belicheck who are the two coaches that have been most consistent in winning and making the playoffs?  Pete Carroll and Mike Tomlin.  PERIOD.  Who would they bring in that would be better?  I just think it's a silly question.

13 hours ago, row_33 said:

Hindsight and postmortem expertise is 20/20 with you

Hardly.  Chances of recovering an onside kick are what less than 10%?  Chance that opposing team gets into field go range after recovering onside kick probably 50% or so. 

If you kick it deep you have a much better chance of getting the ball by forcing the other team to punt and you get the ball back with some time left as the Steelers had their timeouts.  For sure the Jags would be playing it safe, running and not risking turnover. 

Either way odds are slim but you have to get the ball to win and the onside decision gives you the least chance of getting the ball. 

Vast majority of coaches would have kicked off.  Tomlin rolled the dice and gave himself the longest odds.  Even with that though no way he's fired, but he'll eat crow for that decision. 

Edited by keepthefaith

This past August, Tomlin signed an extension keeping him the Steelers HC through 2020.  The Steelers are about stability and continuity, however they are used to winning.  If Tomlin  doesn't show signs of getting them to another SB, or at least AFC Championship, I suspect there is a chance he will not get another extension.  A lot of this hinges on when Big Ben retires and what Tomlin does to address QB.

20 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Tomlin will be around for at least another 5 years, he just signed an extension at the beginning of this season.  I have family in Pittsburgh, who tell me Tomlin gets questioned in the local media.

Trip Tomlin's recipe for success is to hope that someone trips up the Patriots. The Steelers consistently underperform. They aren't able to adjust and are often unprepared. Much like Rex Ryan, Tomlin and the Steelers, obsess over the Patriots and overlook opponents, trash talk, and make guarantees they can back up. After every loss the Steelers immediately start playing the blame game, make excuses, throw each other under the bus, whine, blame the refs, and want the rules changed.   

The fans on the Steelers message overwhelmingly want to see a change after yesterday's debacle. 

I apologize if I said this before. My hatred of the Steelers is like yours for the Pats...

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Tomlin is probably the most overrated coach in NFL history. That team is absolutely loaded and they are constantly underachieving.

That game yesterday put his incompetence on full display. He couldn't stop Blake Freakin' Bortles and Doug Marrone outcoached him.

Bill Cowher says "Hi"