RIP board member TheMadCap

Mr Info

This post is a shout out to long-time Bills fan and board member Rick Schibetta aka TheMadCap http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/user/411-themadcap/ . Many of you have interacted with him on threads here and on TSW. Rick is originally from Fredonia and many of his family are still in WNY. Work eventually brought him to the Richmond area and he has been working here professionally for a while. Last year he became ill and was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic lymphoma (ALL) and treated at the VCU/MCV Medical Center. As one might expect, chemotherapy took its toll and weakened him considerably.

He went into remission and was able to remain home for a bit with his wife and two young children. However, he slipped while attending a conference at his children’s school and broke his hip. This landed him back in the hospital and tests later revealed ALL had returned earlier this year. He was treated aggressively with a drug in a clinical study that previously had only been used on children. Unfortunately, this drug induced transverse myelitis (spinal cord inflammation) which resulted in paralysis which spread to his chest. The study medicine was stopped and he has been placed on steroids in the hope of reducing the inflammation. Rick is undergoing PT at the University Hospital for his arms and hands and being monitored (MRIs) for inflammation reduction of his spinal cord.

Obviously, this has been difficult for him, his wife, and their two young children but I have never heard Rick complain and that tells you a lot about the guy. In spite of everything, he is always positive and we also talk Bills football and he is really excited about the 2015 season. I know that Rick still checks the board periodically and I expect he would appreciate hearing from anyone. He may not reply for a bit until better functionality returns to his arms and hands. Rick is currently in VCU North Hospital, floor 1, room 42.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was unable to see Rick yesterday because he was too sick but saw him today. He was getting a blood transfusion due to low hemoglobin but was in good spirits. He was able to view this thread and appreciates the support.

I met Rick through this board when I relocated to this area and consider myself fortunate to know him. He and his wife, Brenda, and their two sons, Zach (6) and Owen (2) do not have family in the area so if you would like to send a card, send a meal from a local eatery to his family, or bringing a meal over (locals), then send me a PM and I will get you in contact with Brenda, get you their address, etc. I am sending them a meal from Capriccio's tomorrow night as I know the boys like pasta.

Thanks to Paul, plenzmd1, for a quick PM to help out.

Rick would be pleased by a visit from any local Bills fans. He is at the VCU North Hospital. 1st Floor, Room 42.

"So come what may, Ill not upset

My cheerful happiness of mind.

Dejection never brings me what I want;

My virtue will be warped and marred by it.

If theres a remedy when trouble strikes,

What reason is there for dejection?

And if there is no help for it,

What use is there in being glum?"

-Shantideva

Hi all,

I have an update from Brenda and will post below. Thank you again to Tony for originally posting Even though we live 5 minutes apart, I had never met Rick. But Bills fan are one big family right?

Again, if anyone would like to help them out by getting a dinner or something like that, PM me or Tony( Mr Info) and we can help with details, picking things up etc. below is mail from Brenda.

PL.

You can post an update on Rick. Prayers are always welcome. I guess they are still trying to find the root cause of his paralysis and did some tests today because he was running a fever. It seems the leukemia is 'acting' up so the time they thought they had to fix one problem is now going to have to shift to refocus on his existing problem. Hope to get some definite answers this week.

Hi all,

I have an update from Brenda and will post below. Thank you again to Tony for originally posting Even though we live 5 minutes apart, I had never met Rick. But Bills fan are one big family right?

Again, if anyone would like to help them out by getting a dinner or something like that, PM me or Tony( Mr Info) and we can help with details, picking things up etc. below is mail from Brenda.

PL.

You can post an update on Rick. Prayers are always welcome. I guess they are still trying to find the root cause of his paralysis and did some tests today because he was running a fever. It seems the leukemia is 'acting' up so the time they thought they had to fix one problem is now going to have to shift to refocus on his existing problem. Hope to get some definite answers this week.

As a quick update to this. I visited Rick yesterday and while I was there, Rick's brother Chuck and his parents (who Chuck drove down from Fredonia) along with Brenda stopped by. As Brenda indicated through Paul's message, they are still trying to determine the cause of Rick's fever. They are also investigating other opportunities for Rick such as the Transverse Myelitis Center at Johns Hopkins along with Roswell Park. But Rick has to get healthier before these can be considered.

• 2 weeks later...