Kirk Cousins isn’t happy with Atlanta’s draft choice

Einstein

It's a weird move but Atlanta likes to make a splash night 1 of the draft. 

Honestly, not feeling bad for ol' Kirk. Guy has made a ton of money including $100M from Atlanta guaranteed. He gets that no matter what. Plus with the investment they made in him I'd say he's got 2 years in Atlanta. By that time he's 37 and likely at the end of the road anyway. 

Not only that but he is 35 and coming off serious injury. No telling of he's going to be the same. 

Really don’t understand this one.  I thought maybe it was a draft to trade agreement and maybe it still is, like Adams and next years 1st to the Falcons, for him, but otherwise the pick seems dumb.

Penix is a 6th year college quarterback 

Who has major shoulder surgery... And a reconstructed ACL 

Great college player and I really do hope the best for him as I do all players.... 

But man... I didn't have him in my top 45 or so players

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Penix is a 6th year college quarterback 

Who has major shoulder surgery... And a reconstructed ACL 

Great college player and I really do hope the best for him as I do all players.... 

But man... I didn't have him in my top 45 or so players

2 ACLs.

• Shocked 1

I like Penix. He is a lot like Tua and I think he could be a successful QB. But drafting him 8th overall when you signed a good QB in the a win now move makes little sense. There wasn’t a position that could help you win a fairly open NFC. Odunzie/Bowers/OT,/DE?  Nope, backup QB.

Very strange move 

Cousins sure knows how to make money. Wouldn't it be crazy if they move on from him next year and he is available to sign with ANOTHER team to start? He is like the GOAT when it comes to shaking down the NFL for money.

The secret is to be good, but not too good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

I was out at an Atlanta sports bar for the draft and the place EXPLODED at this pick. Good times.

What a ***** show in the Falcons FO.

The Cousins signing had me thinking maybe they were getting back on track. But now this is more like it.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 3

Cousins has been QB purgatory death camp for years. I respect his grind and how he got people excited last year. Saw the tik tok vids, tee hee. But he will always be the middling QB that never gets you over the hump. He’s well behaved Jay Cutler at best. Ryan Tannehill+. Frankly the worst QB1 possible because it can stifle all growth.

But he could potentially be the best QB2 in the league for years, if he accepts it, immediately. Highly doubtful considering his known ego. 

• Like (+1) 1

I actually liked the pick. I'll be surprised if the Falcons get more than ten games a year out of Mr. Regular Season. Read that Morris and Fontenot flew to Washington to watch Penix work out for two hours a few days ago. 

4 hours ago, Nelius said:

Cousins has been QB purgatory death camp for years. I respect his grind and how he got people excited last year. Saw the tik tok vids, tee hee. But he will always be the middling QB that never gets you over the hump. He’s well behaved Jay Cutler at best. Ryan Tannehill+. Frankly the worst QB1 possible because it can stifle all growth.

But he could potentially be the best QB2 in the league for years, if he accepts it, immediately. Highly doubtful considering his known ego. 

If he accepts it immediately? If not for his ego? He’s on a 45m a year paycheck with huge guarantees. It’s not ego to say he’s not waking up as Ryan Fitzpatrick today.

he will play this out and retire with a quarter billion dollars 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Kirk is absolutely right, but it's also not his team to run.  

...or is this one of those made up stories?

His agent told ESPN that there is "frustration and confusion" over the pick.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Cousins sure knows how to make money. Wouldn't it be crazy if they move on from him next year and he is available to sign with ANOTHER team to start? He is like the GOAT when it comes to shaking down the NFL for money.

$282 million and counting...

I don't feel bad for Cousins, i feel bad for Penix........if they sit him behind Cousins for a couple of years, Penix could essentially be like 27 by the time he ever sees the field.

This, in my opinion is a very bad move by the Falcons.

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Cousins is really good, actually. Not elite. But he's one of the more underrated and unappreciated QBs in the league according to NFL fans and critics. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

I don't feel bad for Cousins, i feel bad for Penix........if they sit him behind Cousins for a couple of years, Penix could essentially be like 27 by the time he ever sees the field.

This, in my opinion is a very bad move by the Falcons.

You could tell by the look on Penixs face that he was not happy with the pick.

• Agree 1

I guess they just looked into the next year or two of college QB prospects, and saw this as their best chance to draft the best guy for the future. And if you believe, as many do, that it's best to let a rookie QB sit and learn from a seasoned vet for a year or two before he takes the reins, then what the heck. Cousins is the reigning godfather of bridge QBs. If ATL made a mistake, it was in how much they paid him. 

Hey, it's not my money anyway. 

Cousins SHOULD be unhappy with the pick.

He left the comfort and familiarity of the Vikings and having Justin Jefferson to move to a new city, under the assumption that the four year deal he signed meant that he'd be the starting quarterback in Atlanta for the next four years.

Instead, he's now essentially on a two year deal. Any time he or the team struggle, there will be calls from the fan base for the shiny new rookie. And on top of all that, pick #8 was a premium draft spot that could've netted an incredibly talented player.

What a bizarre and illogical choice by the Falcons.

• Agree 1

for those bashing Cousins, I actually like it.  Dude may have a huge ego, and make a ton of money, but so what.  How many players get paid and don't care about winning.  This guy wants to win, and Pennix does not help the team do that next year.  

10 hours ago, Nelius said:

Football is the ultimate team game 

You can absolutely win with Kirk cousins.. he's much better than Brock purdy

Him taking ridiculous contracts hurts the team around him because they can't build around him as well.. he's a good quarterback who gets overpaid 

But he can certainly win in the NFL.. Nick foles has a super bowl

Edited by Buffalo716