Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I just looked back at Kelvin Benjamin's scouting report. Guess what his 40 time was? 4.61. Guess what the report said? "Plays faster"

It's a Beane/McD thing. They've been trying to find that big receiver since they came to Buffalo. One epic fail (Benjamin), one moderate success (Gabe). Third time is a Hall of Famer.

Devin Funchess (bust)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Don't like it. Doesn't separate. When they put up Mike Williams as a pro comp that says it all. Non-separator. 

DJ said Big Slot as well. That is ultimately where I think he makes his money. 

Mike Williams is a good receiver, though.

• Agree 1

From bleacher report 

POSITIVES

— Ideal build for the position. Built like a true X receiver.

— Good agility and explosion for his size.

— Very good YAC ability. Tough to track and tackle given his blend of size and speed.

— Great play strength. Bully throughout the route and at the catch point.

— Elite ball skills. Exceptional ability to track the ball in the air and find it at its highest point.

NEGATIVES

— Average deep speed. Has more than enough speed given his size, but not a true burner.

— Footwork could be more efficient on sharp route breaks. Sometimes takes too many steps to gather himself as a route-runner.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

First, I admit I got a copy of Draft Digest.  That being said, for what it's worth they have Coleman as their #4 WR behind Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze.  

I betcha they think Disco is groovy.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Convince me we couldn't trade back eight pieces and still get this guy

Clear New England wanted him.  

We definitely were targeting Coleman knew we could take him in trade down.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Coleman is basically seems Gabe Davis with better hands. 

I don’t know if that’s really what we needed.

Another WR please

Gabe with better hands would be really good. The drops were the biggest problem. And for those calling him Kelvin Benjamin, if we could get Benjamin before he decided that he liked eating more than football then that is a 1,000 yard guy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

He better be able to play on the boundary, because Kincaid is our big slot.

I mean I hope so. Just seems like they don’t have to take away Diggs and we still won’t have any one to make them pay for it. I like kinkade a lot, hopefully he can be a Kelsey style target and open up shakir. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billybob71 said:

this thread is 90% bs speculation, no one really has a clue how this kid will turn out, I will trust the guy who is gonna be working with him everyday and throwing him the ball

I predict we will be looking at WR’s next year unless we hit another later this round.

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I see our offence struggling to move the football and Allen taking the blame,  this team is worse off then last season.  This guy is project and reminds me of Chris Burkett who was big and slow.  You take guys like this in 3rd or 4th round

Chris Burkett had that dog in him, and not the good kind.  Everything I’ve seen with Coleman screams competitor. 

• Like (+1) 2

It will be interesting to see how Coleman, Worthy, Legette, and McConkey compare in a few years. Beane better hope he pans out because Coleman will always be compared to those receivers and AD Mitchell. 

14 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Yaaaay the big guy who runs one route and can’t separate against college defensive backs wooooo

This fits our draft philosophy to a T though, it’s just like Edmunds 

Literally the opposite of Edmunds. 
Edmunds was super athletic, RAS score of 9.5, but played worse than his athleticism. 
Coleman is not super athletic,but plays better than his athletic traits would suggest. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, beebe said:

Can someone explain to me how you think the Bills-Chiefs trade came together? Who says what first? Do the Chiefs tell the Bills who they are taking? I don't get it. 

Chiefs looking to trade up…they are talking to like 6 teams on trading up and down.

teams don’t discuss who you are picking

its just negotiating value of the pick.  You got one team looking to move down, another to move up.

buffalo in their scouting seemed to have only 25 or so 1st round graded players.no 1st round graded players left so thry traded down. Thry traded down again to 2nd round.

they did not trade down again because they likely asked for a 3rd or top round of thr 4th in a trade and teams weren’t doing it.

Just now, FireChans said:

Probably isn’t going to run away from people is EXACTLY what NFL offenses craved…. in 1985.

These dudes are stuck in the Stone Age. Fire em all next year and make Ben Johnson the king.

Nobody in the NFL is running away from people consistently except for guys like Tyreek Hill. Diggs wasn't doing that. A WR's job is to create leverage at the catch point to open up a throwing window, then catch the ball, then make something happen with the ball in their hands if there's an opportunity. Coleman I believe can do all of that. And he's going to really work at his craft.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

Gabe with better hands would be really good. The drops were the biggest problem. And for those calling him Kelvin Benjamin, if we could get Benjamin before he decided that he liked eating more than football then that is a 1,000 yard guy.

That’s the kind of positive spin I want to see. Thanks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Billl said:

He was going to run on stage to hug Goodell, but it was 40 yards away, and they didn’t have enough time.

Worthy sprinted to the stage, and the light breeze in Detroit picked him up and he was never heard of again

• Haha (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Yeesh, some of these takes and comments. 

It's all gonna be alright. Let the kid take the field before we decide he's a bust. They'll have a plan for him. 

Guess we’ll be waiting 3 years to make that determination because that’s when McD will let him on the field. 

Positive attitude, relentless will to improve, loves to block, can contribute on special teams, "best football is in front of him", can play in the Buffalo elements.

Pretty much a grab bag of tired McDermott/Beane cliches with this guy.

Nevermind speed, explosion, separation ability. Nope. He brings his lunch pail to work and he likes to block! Huzzah!

And heaven forbid we not take the guy that JOSH likes. Worked super well with Ken Dorsey. 

*****. Mother*****ing *****.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

Literally the opposite of Edmunds. 
Edmunds was super athletic, RAS score of 9.5, but played worse than his athleticism. 
Coleman is not super athletic,but plays better than his athletic traits would suggest. 

But Edmunds was 15 years old when he was drafted.  How old is Coleman?