Lions extend St. Brown (4 years, 120 mil, 77 gtd)

Virgil

I traded him from my dynasty team after his rookie year because I thought he wouldn't replicate that success in year two.

I used the pick I got in exchange to draft.......Skyy Moore.

I still think about it pretty much daily.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 27

Worth it.  Everyone wanting a true #1 out of this draft better get ready to pay that.

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

And this is why I feel it's smart to draft the lower cost rookie WR (or 2). WR inflation is real 

If the guy we draft breaks put then 30 per year will be the floor for him starting year 4.  He won't be content plating on his rookie deal.

2 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Pretty soon, teams won't be able to afford vet QBs once their franchise WR is off of his rookie contract.

With the way the cap is rising, 30 is the new 20 for receivers as 50 is the new 40 for QBs.  

It’s all relative 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Worth it.  Everyone wanting a true #1 out of this draft better get ready to pay that.

If the guy we draft breaks put then 30 per year will be the floor for him starting year 4.  He won't be content plating on his rookie deal.

Yes, but at least then there are viable options. Could trade him for high picks and start the WR train again. Could pay him, but even then it would take a year for the contract to kick in. Could pick up 5th year option (if first rounder) and use the franchise tag as well for a lower hit. 

But in any event, you're still getting those 4-5 years on much cheaper salary.

4 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Pretty soon, teams won't be able to afford vet QBs once their franchise WR is off of his rookie contract.

After KC has PROVEN, you don’t have to have Elite WRs, the trend is insane.  Look how many games Adams has helped the Raiders win after that massive deal.  Look where the fins went with Hill, etc.  ONE guy, maybe 15 opportunities a game cannot be taking 10-15% of the cap if you have a QB taking 20%,  the way it’s headed, you have a QB at 50+, pair of WRs at 50+, TE at 20+. LT/RT at 50+ the rest of the line at 30+ and we don’t even have a full offense on the field yet.  The math don’t math.   Going this crazy over WRs is the wrong move. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And this is why I feel it's smart to draft the lower cost rookie WR (or 2). WR inflation is real 

or even spending extra draft capital to move up to do so.  You can buy a lot of high end free agents for 30.  

It's getting to a point where teams should draft nothing but QB, EDGE, WR, or LT in the 1st round. Maybe a 3T if they're really sticking out. The value difference between those positions and the rest is just too high to justify anything else.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5

Receivers are becoming as cost prohibitive as QB's. Pretty soon you will need to choose which you want: a franchise QB or a franchise WR? You won't be able to afford both without handicapping your team.

58 minutes ago, Virgil said:

With the way the cap is rising, 30 is the new 20 for receivers as 50 is the new 40 for QBs.  

It’s all relative 

So 25% inflation for QBs 50% inflation for receivers.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's getting to a point where teams should draft nothing but QB, EDGE, WR, or LT in the 1st round. Maybe a 3T if they're really sticking out. The value difference between those positions and the rest is just too high to justify anything else.

Don’t tell Brandon Beane, but it’s been that way for years now.

You see a contract like this and can start to really understand the value of getting a rookie on a cost controlled contract for 5 years?  I would not argue with you if you think the guy you need is one of the big 3 and want to trade 4-6 assets to get up and get him.  I would also not argue with you if you want to stay at 28, maybe take a 2nd tier guy like Legette and then trade all the way back up in the 2nd round and grab another 2nd tier guy like Worthy, Mitchell, or someone else and have 2 cost controlled guys.  I could make an argument for either and I don't think either would be wrong.  Neither option may work out, but I can't argue with the premise of either. 

Regardless, trading for a guy like Ayuik is pretty much out of the question because we can't afford that type of contract.  And, I might argue that I wouldn't want to pay that much for a WR anyway.  There seems to be more and more talent coming out at WR every year.  While having a top guy would be nice, I am not sure they offer enough value to get the QB style contracts.  I think I can win just as much with a couple of good/great WRs instead of a dominant, elite WR with a bloated contract.  There are so many talented guys out there and while WRs definitely impact the game, there are always 2-5 on the field at one time and even the best ones only touch the ball 7-9 times a game.  They are not QBs that touch the ball every play.  I think teams after seeing these contracts being handed out for a little while will soon realize that cost controlled WRs are the way to go.  When they come up and are in line for the big contract, they will just bite the bullet, let them go, draft from the growing pool of talent and just try to find the next guy that can offer 75% of the guy getting the big contract and hope that the new player develops into the next big thing.

38 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I mean that's the trend that a lot of GMS follow 

It's QB , pass rusher , Left tackle , CB or WR

Those are the premium positions that get big contracts.. that's why you want the fifth year option 

Off ball linebackers and safety's and running backs are valuable... But you can find them well after the first 

Those positions that I listed get fast runs 

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

This is guy I want on my fantasy team this year. There are certain guys that produce EVERY.....SINGLE....WEEK and freaking kill me every time I go against them. St. Brown is one of those guys

Massive target share, high catch %, and he even had 10 TDs (5 in the red zone).  In PPR he's just a monster, but even in non-ppr 1500 yards is awesome.  If he's healthy his floor is among the best of all WRs.  

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Massive target share, high catch %, and he even had 10 TDs (5 in the red zone).  In PPR he's just a monster, but even in non-ppr 1500 yards is awesome.  If he's healthy his floor is among the best of all WRs.  

Absolutely. I'm in ppr and I missed out on drafting him last year when I wanted him. He went the pick before it came back to me in the 2nd. If I get a top 5 pick, I'm taking him. I don't know how much further he falls past 5 but he's the guy I have a bullseye on

31 minutes ago, Beast said:

Better off drafting a wide receiver in the first 3 rounds every season and hope to recycle the group at the end of rookie deals.

WR almost has to become like RB. Draft one then let him walk and draft another 

These deals are insane 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Id actually throw in Guard too. Some of the contracts guards are getting are huge 

14 minutes ago, DJB said:

These deals are insane 

Not really. You have to go by cap %. $30 million is only 11.7% of the cap. I went acl to 2011 on spotrac and Larry Fitzgerald signed a deal taking up 13.3% of the cap.

Not much has changed, still about the same. A little less actually.

Business is booming in the NFL.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

43 minutes ago, DJB said:

These deals are insane 

Why? They're getting the deals so clearly the demand is there. A lot more WRs are drafted than RBs and it's a lot harder to find decent production out of them.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

He's not better than Justin Jefferson.

Jefferson wasn't part of "both of them"

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

The crazy thing is that he's sort of a Khalil Shakir comp.    6' tall T-Rex armed slot receiver who has transitioned gradually more outside and put up big numbers.    Maybe @Alphadawg7 is selling Khalil way short.  ;)    And truth is........guys who compare to St. Brown basically never turn into anything at the NFL level.   His list of physical comps is a bunch of players who never made it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

After KC has PROVEN, you don’t have to have Elite WRs, the trend is insane.  Look how many games Adams has helped the Raiders win after that massive deal.  Look where the fins went with Hill, etc.  ONE guy, maybe 15 opportunities a game cannot be taking 10-15% of the cap if you have a QB taking 20%,  the way it’s headed, you have a QB at 50+, pair of WRs at 50+, TE at 20+. LT/RT at 50+ the rest of the line at 30+ and we don’t even have a full offense on the field yet.  The math don’t math.   Going this crazy over WRs is the wrong move. 

If every team could find a Kelce, this could be replicated.