In hindsight, should we have traded for Diontae Johnson?

DJ is $10M on the books for the Panthers.

He was traded to Carolina (CAR) from Pittsburgh (PIT) with 2024 7th round pick (#240) for Donte Jackson and 2024 6th round pick (#178). Now, Donte may have had some value for the Stillers but he was likely going to be cut in Carolina, and he signed a restructured $6M deal with them after the trade, so he didn't have a TON of value.

So maybe without Jackson to dangle, could we have gotten him for a 4th or a 5th and 6th?

In hindsight, is that a move you wished we pulled the trigger on, knowing what we know about Diggs now?

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

No thanks! I think BB makes zero trades up. Maybe trades back to 35-40. Then takes 2 WR.. some combo of Legette, Franklin, McConkey, or Pearsall. 

If we trade I think it’s Aiyuk for #28.
But then back to a $25-30 m contract. So instead, BB rolls the dice like the Packers  and drafts 2 high 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Speaking of former Steeler almost-star WRs, Chase Claypool is still a FA. How about him?  /s

I have two memories of Claypool that stick in my head…signaling a first down and wasting time when his team was trying ti spike the thing…-100 awareness and selfishness. The other memory is running a slow, lazy, terrible route getting undercut by Taylor Rapp and costing his team a chance at victory. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nah, I think he's a little overrated in my opinion. I don't think there's much difference between him or DJ Chark in quality of WR. And if we wanted another vet this season, we could still have Chark for less money and no Draft compensation.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

When I saw Texans I thought a WR might be coming back. Brown is a little like Mack Hollins though so maybe not a fit. 

I see Brown as a poor man's Gabe Davis. Yet he did show he could do more when Dell and Collins missed time. 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

DJ is $10M on the books for the Panthers.

He was traded to Carolina (CAR) from Pittsburgh (PIT) with 2024 7th round pick (#240) for Donte Jackson and 2024 6th round pick (#178). Now, Donte may have had some value for the Stillers but he was likely going to be cut in Carolina, and he signed a restructured $6M deal with them after the trade, so he didn't have a TON of value.

So maybe without Jackson to dangle, could we have gotten him for a 4th or a 5th and 6th?

In hindsight, is that a move you wished we pulled the trigger on, knowing what we know about Diggs now?

I've always followed the Steelers for quite some time and consider them my 2nd team when the Bills were always out of it half way through the season and I root for them when we don't play together. Diontae Johnson had the luxury of playing with Big Ben for his first 3 seasons and by year 3 was Ben's go to WR after the AB situation. I think he would have been a big upgrade to Samuel and would have at the very least lessened the blow of losing Diggs imo. He was a model citizen with ben at QB but started getting Diggs-esque when Pickett/Trubisky/Rudolph took over as QB which is kind of understandable. Most WR's I feel have a bit of diva in them so I don't see it as a terrible thing when they blow up every now and again just not an AB type of blow up.

The Bills are returning 11 TD receptions.  They’ve added Curtis Samuel who caught 4.  James Cook had 4, and he’s the only returning player who had more than 2.  I don’t know that Johnson would have been the answer, but Beane had better figure something out because they’re also returning exactly 2 rushing TDs from players not named Josh Allen.

11 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I've always followed the Steelers for quite some time and consider them my 2nd team when the Bills were always out of it half way through the season and I root for them when we don't play together. Diontae Johnson had the luxury of playing with Big Ben for his first 3 seasons and by year 3 was Ben's go to WR after the AB situation. I think he would have been a big upgrade to Samuel and would have at the very least lessened the blow of losing Diggs imo. He was a model citizen with ben at QB but started getting Diggs-esque when Pickett/Trubisky/Rudolph took over as QB which is kind of understandable. Most WR's I feel have a bit of diva in them so I don't see it as a terrible thing when they blow up every now and again just not an AB type of blow up.

I can’t believe that Roethlisberger has only been out of the league for two seasons so far. I would’ve sworn that it’s been 4 or 5. 

As for Johnson, not for the $10M the Panthers are paying him. No freaking way. 

Edited by BarleyNY

I would have liked this trade better last year. This year is all about building the new core of WRs that will play with Allen in the 2nd half of his career. I'm not looking for mercenaries, I'm looking for cornerstones.

• Agree 1