Last player to leave in any way that hurt?

I fully admit Diggs was one of my favorites and trading him hurts. Part of loving the Bills is having an emotional investment in the team and the individual players.

It's really tough for me to think of another guy in the recent past that hurt as much after he was gone. 

I felt really bad when Schobel retired.  I think he is one of the most underrated Bills of all time and he deserved better. For whatever reason didn't get the same attachment for Kyle Williams though I appreciated his ability.

How about others? Who was the last player that really hurt when they left? 

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland

Because of it being a traded scenario, Peerless Price or Marshawn Lynch. 

Probably Lynch more as we got virtually nothing for him… Those picks turned into Tank Carder and Chris Hairston…

Price we acquired a first rounder… Became McGahee and Peerless went completely downhill after an OK first season in Atlanta. 

Both were key components to one side of the field and seemed to split fans according.

• Like (+1) 1

• Ethan in Cleveland changed the title to Last player to leave in any way that hurt?
1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Kyle hurt, but Tre White getting cut this off-season was worse for me. Probably worse than Diggs. 

For me I picked Kyle because he meant so much to this team for so long and retired right as the team was turning the corner. Wish he would have played a year or two longer to really enjoy some winning. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, BBFL said:

Because of it being a traded scenario, Peerless Price or Marshawn Lynch. 

Probably Lynch more as we got virtually nothing for him… Those picks turned into Tank Carder and Chris Hairston…

Price we acquired a first rounder… Became McGahee and Peerless went completely downhill after an OK first season in Atlanta. 

Both were key components to one side of the field and seemed to split fans according.

Lynch is a good one too. Obviously very polarizing at the time too. Fred Jackson ascending made it hurt less but seeing Lynch's success in Seattle first hand was frustrating.  My son loved him in Seattle though 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

For me I picked Kyle because he meant so much to this team for so long and retired right as the team was turning the corner. Wish he would have played a year or two longer to really enjoy some winning. 

Excellent take. Tre edges out Kyle for me. Diggs sucks but not in the same way as them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Kyle was my Hero.

Fred was the one that hurt me 

• Agree 2

Thurman Thomas.

I was in high school then but I kind of realized at that age no matter how much good history someone has with a team it's What Have or What Can You Do For Me Lately.  I don't get emotionally attached.

That being said actually T.O leaving made me a little sad after just a year.  I thought for the most part he behaved well and looked proud to be a Bill.  

• Like (+1) 2

I am legitimately not hurt by Diggs leaving.

Loved when we got him. 

Loved that he helped turn Josh into a superstar.

By the end, it was a bad relationship that everyone knew was doomed. No reason to be sad about it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

21 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Jason peters comes to mind

Thurman sign g with the dolphins was a killer for me.  

Peters hurt as was all about money and our owner was too cheap to pay him the going rate for an above average LT.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I am legitimately not hurt by Diggs leaving.

Loved when we got him. 

Loved that he helped turn Josh into a superstar.

By the end, it was a bad relationship that everyone knew was doomed. No reason to be sad about it.

The true bright side is he was like a rebound fling. As long as you keep expectations reasonable, doesn’t matter if they are crazy as long as it’s fun and has a known expiration date. 

• Like (+1) 2

Gilmore hurt because they got NOTHING for him and it was basically a certainty that he would be excellent and win a SB with NE.

The Watkins trade was demoralizing because they had had a very good scoring offense that also lead the NFL in big plays in both 2015 and 2016..........and the Watkins trade basically guaranteed that they were going back to the stone age offensively.    I can't unsee those horrible 2017 and 2018 offenses.   Just disgusting terrible football.

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Gilmore hurt because they got NOTHING for him and it was basically a certainty that he would be excellent and win a SB with NE.

The Watkins trade was demoralizing because they had had a very good scoring offense that also lead the NFL in big plays in both 2015 and 2016..........and the Watkins trade basically guaranteed that they were going back to the stone age offensively.    I can't unsee those horrible 2017 and 2018 offenses.   Just disgusting terrible football.

Interesting you mention that era.  I don't disagree about Gilmore, but for a guy they got nothing for, how about Bobby Trees?  We got nothing for him either, and he had almost 200 more receiving yards than Watkins and close to the same YPG (47 vs 53 or something like that).

He Got Paid by the Rams (5 years $34M) but when I saw his contract, I thought we could have structured something to keep him instead of overpaying Deonte Thompson and Jordan "Nothing to do but each other" Matthews and Andre Holmes, not to mention a 3rd for Fat Kelvin.

And he went on to contribute more than Watkins did his 1st year in LA, then to notch a couple 1000+ yard seasons and a 3rd that came close, for the Rams after Watkins squibbed out for them.  Appeared in 2 Superbowls and won 1 as well, though his best days were past by the win.

And yeah, 2017 and 2018 Bills were a tough watch, offensively.  

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

Just this offseason Tre white. Brutal ending back to back years. Memories are short for some but this guy was an absolute stud all pro corner. He also had so much fun doing it always rocking while a smile. I stress so much during game that’s it nice to sit back and just appreciate and smile watching someone really enjoying himself during a game while being top tier corner 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsGuyOutWest said:

Kiko Alonso, the things I did to acquire that jersey…

Oh my goodness, I was going to say the same thing! I was actually shocked when Alonso was traded and a bit unhappy because I liked him. But that was clearly a good trade in the end. Kiko flamed out eventually and actually was a dirty player for awhile, and Shady had a few good years here.

Tre White, great guy and teammate who got bit by injury bug.  On the other hand, I was a huge Diggs fan but he quit on his team and could not back up his talk when it mattered in the playoffs.  good riddence to Dogging it Diggd.  

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Da’Rick Rogers.  Too soon for the HOF. Farewell my friend. 

I’ve never seen a receiver run more coverage into route patterns by other receivers in my life. He just had ZERO concept of pass game design.