Diggs traded to Texans for picks

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I don't mind Diggs going - it struck me he had rapidly become a problem in the locker room rather than someone who could be relied upon. But only a 2nd round pick in 2025 for him. A very poor return which does suggest a level of desperation.

Or that the rest of the teams in the NFL have watched Diggs decline and disappear later in the season and realized Diggs isn't worth more than that.

I think because this draft is so deep at wideout, Beane judged that it would be best to move on this year, get his replacement in the draft and lower the cap moving forward.  As much as I like Diggs, in thinking about this move, it makes sense.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, PastaJoe said:

That’s a stretch to think a rookie they can realistically pick will come in and immediately be impactful enough to garner similar coverage.

I think one of the top 3 could for sure. 

17 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, doing very well.

How many are producing at a Diggs level. Even the kind of level Diggs was at in a bad year?

Diggs was a non factor the 2nd half of this past season and performed poorly in the past two seasons during the playoffs, Diggs has been slipping, he is still good, but as I stated in another post, he is a whiny aze hole, who’s performance hasn’t stood up to his own hype, the team is obviously going through a reorganization, and Diggs would be worth even less next season, and likely cut/waived with no compensation at all, lots of knee jerk responses in this thread…, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

A lot of homers on this board. Any other board this trade is an F

I’m surprised we got anything for him and keeping him another year is a somewhat wasted roster spot. Something had to be done.

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

Or that the rest of the teams in the NFL have watched Diggs decline and disappear later in the season and realized Diggs isn't worth more than that.

I think because this draft is so deep at wideout, Beane judged that it would be best to move on this year, get his replacement in the draft and lower the cap moving forward.  As much as I like Diggs, in thinking about this move, it makes sense.  

I'm hoping Beane already has a deal in place to move up and get a good wideout who we can enjoy on a rookie contract for a while.  

• Like (+1) 1

I really don't know what Beane is going to do, other than he is going to address the receiver position in a meaningful way.

I would rather not trade lots of draft capital to get one of the consensus top 3 elite guys, but I wouldn't be upset nor surprised if Beane were to do it.

Preferably, I would rather get a guy like Ladd McConkey or Javon Baker to be your high target, great route running receiver who can separate along with someone who can get deep such as Franklin, Thomas, Worthy or Mitchell.   There is enough draft capital to not have to give up the farm to get two of those guys.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's really not.

It'll likely look better as we move towards the season.

But this was a huge hit, particularly for this year's team and future cap status.

And to remind you, Diggs was 6th in the league in receptions, 13th in yards, 10th in first downs and tied for 7th in TDs last year. It's not fair to only look at his worst section of the season and pretend they sum up his year. Not even close. That production absolutely can NOT "be replaced quite easily."

As a reminder, when Diggs did his disappearing act, the Bills went on their 5 game winning streak. 

They’ll be more than fine without him.

• Like (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

They didnt win it all with him.  So you're saying its a push?

We're losing our #1 WR from the last 4 years, and he was ELITE for the past 3. We should have won one with him here and his numbers.

• Agree 1

Just now, Magox said:

I really don't know what Beane is going to do, other than he is going to address the receiver position in a meaningful way.

I would rather not trade lots of draft capital to get one of the consensus top 3 elite guys, but I wouldn't be upset nor surprised if Beane were to do it.

Preferably, I would rather get a guy like Ladd McConkey or Javon Baker to be your high target, great route running receiver who can separate along with someone who can get deep such as Franklin, Thomas, Worthy or Mitchell.   There is enough draft capital to not have to give up the farm to get two of those guys.

The time to trade first rounders is when you're ready to contend. The time to collect high picks is when you need to rebuild off an aging roster. The bills got significantly younger this off season, without using any draft capital. They have an open window, and if they can use their first to get a legit star WR, and then use their 2nd to add a rookie WR I think that would be the ideal scenario.

I would literally give up this yeatrs 1st, next years 1st and the viking 2nd to go get DK Metcalf for example

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Anybody else remember how Diggs dropped a perfect bomb from Allen in the 4th quarter against KC, and then on the most crucial play of the game Allen ignored his #1 receiver who was open underneath to try and get the ball to Shakir?

Yeah...all was not peaches and cream between Josh and Diggs...

Onward and upward!

Yes. Those memories are fresh.  I’ll take Allen over Diggs any day.  

Losing Diggs is addition by subtraction. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, eball said:

Anybody else remember how Diggs dropped a perfect bomb from Allen in the 4th quarter against KC, and then on the most crucial play of the game Allen ignored his #1 receiver who was open underneath to try and get the ball to Shakir?

Yeah...all was not peaches and cream between Josh and Diggs...

Onward and upward!

Allen no longer has to be faced with the Diggs questions or have to always worry about saying the right thing about the two of them. I would hope there is a mutual respect between each of them and it doesn’t get ugly.  It was an incredible rebirth for this organization with the two of them and I’d like for that to stay intact. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Move up for a Wr or use the added cap space and package a deal for a wr looking for his first contract.  Ayuik, Higgins, Jefferson.  I do not think Beane does this randomly without something in mind. He is quite calculated. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

The emergence of Shakir I'm sure played into this

Him and Kincaid are both young studs. Samuel has a ton of potential.  

Maybe we can still sign a Ridley,trade for Higgins. With big $ kicking in next year

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Move up for a Wr or use the added cap space and package a deal for a wr looking for his first contract.  Ayuik, Higgins, Jefferson.  I do not think Beane does this randomly without something in mind. He is quite calculated. 

We'd have to give up 5 years worth of 1st and 2nd round picks to get JJ

Just now, JerseyBills said:

The emergence of Shakir I'm sure played into this

Him and Kincaid are both young studs. Samuel has a ton of potential.  

Maybe we can still sign a Ridley,trade for Higgins. With big $ kicking in next year

Ridley is already signed by the Titans. 

The move was not really a big surprise but I had a huge empty feeling when I found out. Obviously Diggs was a pain in the butt sometimes in the locker room but his zero tolerance of losing and BS was pretty impressive. Also one the best receivers we have had in years here and one of the toughest players I've ever seen based on the hits he took (often late and dirty). He also made some huge catches in his time here and got some key TDs. It saddens me that one of the final memories of him will be that drop in his last game against KC and Allen overlooking him wide open at the end of the game. Just like with Trey, Poyer and Hyde, Diggs deserved to win a championship here. One of my favorite Diggs moments was him getting a TD vs NE where he berated the audience in Gillette with F bombs. Totally rude but awesome!

Edited by Livinginthepast
typo
  • Agree 3

How can anyone not be excited about this transition. Diggs was awesome while he was here. The candle has burned out. This is the right move to enter the next Super Bowl window phase. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just hope that when people are evaluating this move for the Bills, they're considering the $25 million it opens up in cap space for 2025 for Buffalo. That's a major factor. 

This year, the Bills are taking some tough cap medicine. No doubt about it. But NEXT year? Beane's gonna have funny money.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, stevestojan said:

Unimportant thought, but wondering if Mr cryptic tweets is a little embarrassed that he got traded (with two picks) for a future year round two. That doesn’t sound like top 5 WR value. 

Haha he'll prolly go straight to their GM 'why didn't you give up more ?? smh'

11 minutes ago, appoo said:

you honestly thought someone was gonna toss a 1st round pick for a 31 year old WR who was showing legit signs of decline?

I had been wondering/hoping we could have got Dallas' 1st.  Thought Dallas might be desperate enough.  

I had come around to thinking there was enough Diggs disgust in the FO where they would feel the need to move on.

Wondering what the plan is from here. 

Has this been posted yet? 

Maddy Glab, a reporter for the Bills' digital arm, went viral Wednesday afternoon after she could be heard saying, “There's no control over Stefon Diggs. Dude's gonna do what he wants to do. He'll look in my face and say, 'F you. ' How he treats everybody.”

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Wow the compensation seems brutal.

Anyway, like I said, he was always tradeable this year. I just thought it would be for 1st this year so we can draft his replacement. This seems crazy.

The compensation needs to be looked at in conjunction with the fine print - ie - are the Texans eating any of the dead cap and if so how much?

I wouldn't be too upset IF the Texans provide some cap relief as part of the package.

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm hoping Beane already has a deal in place to move up and get a good wideout who we can enjoy on a rookie contract for a while.  

He's calculating.  He has a plan in place.  He doens't make moves for the sake of making moves.

• Like (+1) 2