Diggs traded to Texans for picks

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Aiyuk is a beast of a route runner. He has more potential than what he’s already produced.

He's looking to be paid as one of the top receivers in the league

Not worth it

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Aiyuk is a beast of a route runner. He has more potential than what he’s already produced.

You see what happens when Deebo gets hurt and they actually feature him. He does really well as "the guy" when he takes on that role. Still, I think that part of what we want to do is shed that big time salary, not take on another more pricey one. Aiyuk is going to want to be PAID. I think they get two WR's in this draft. One in the first and another in the 4th, or on a trade up into the 3rd. 

4 minutes ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

The line from Moneyball keeps coming to mind when Justice is told how much the Yankees and Billy Boy thought of him. 

So here goes…Hey Stef.   The Buffalo Bills think so little of you that they are paying $31 million dollars of their cap space to play against you.   That’s how little they think of you.   

That’s something isn’t it.   

Lol. Classic line from that movie 

7 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Diggs was in no way shape or form "the heart and soul of the team." Your saying he was, IMHO, calls your judgment into question. 

Or if he was, that helps explain why they have fallen short.

he was a cancer, it turns out--not heart and soul.

his (essentially) zero trade value confirms what every other GM felt about this guy.  McBeane just wanted to get rid of him

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

So how long until Diggs starts making cryptic comments about Stroud?

At least a full year - he'll be in the honeymoon phase for a while.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Yeah, but were they playing for McD….. the guy who put rookie Cooke in the dog house? Cooke who was averaging 5.7?!?! A guy who only had to have the ball handed to him, not run routes.

The idea that a rookie ( or rookies) are going to come in and BE ALLOWED to contribute goes against what we know about this HC.

O'Cyrus Torrence says hi. Tre White too. Zay Jones was in for 79% of snaps. Terrel Bernard played 93% of snaps in game he wasn't injured in, 999 snaps.

If you're good enough right off, he'll put you in. And it'll be easier still in years when the roster has some real holes, which this group does right now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That's pretty much where I am, though clearing the cap space and getting *something* raises my grade.

Ehh, only if you count 2025 because the team loses 3 million this year. Which, if you want to make a case for 2024 being a hard rebuild I could have swallowed it, but if that was the case Beane should not have bothered bringing in street free agents. Why gobble up more cap room if the point is to purge the old guard and draft fresh?

The only thing I can imagine is Diggs did something Antonio Brown crazy that somehow was out of the news, and Beane had to ship him out for pennies on the dollar.

45 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think each pass that someone not named diggs catches cuts into diggs’ personal motivation a small percentage lol it’s gonna happen pretty quickly in Houston 

In public statements though he’ll be a good teammate to try to disprove the diva label but over time that will fall by the wayside too 

Sure, but I doubt in year 1.

Oh wait the 2d rounder is NEXT year. Ugh. Still was a move we needed to make but yikes. Hoping Beane already has something up his sleeve here. Can this year's 28 and one of those seconds next year get us into top 15 this year??

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

52 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Impossible until we see what happens in the future with all this 

No immediate return automatically drops the grade

And each subsequent year we don't have a number one wideout, it drops more

Edited by BeastMaster

30 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Diggs is better than any rookie until proven otherwise, which is a complete unknown.  With 30 mil dead cap next season.  It was a bad decision. 

It may be but it had to be done. You can’t have your qb and star wr splintered like that.

Bad news is Bills might not even get to the divisional round next season to flop. Or maybe that’s good news? Take a step back to move forward. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

So let me get this straight...

We got a 2nd round pick(the Vikings) and traded Diggs, a 4th rounder this year and a 5th rounder next year? AND just took a $31 million cap hit this year too?

Are you fvcking kidding me?? Where is the money coming from to do this?

Now we are like $25 million over the cap again.

Perfect Loop Illusion GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Cash said:

At least a full year - he'll be in the honeymoon phase for a while.

This is really possible. Diggs doesn't seem like he has an attitude that would lend itself towards again well.

Is this sour grapes? It is for me. I won't be supporting this guy anymore.

I think its likely to be two rookies.  If your QB has a huge cap hit, you really need a few rookie contracts in the room.  I think we work the phones to try and get one of the "big 3" this year.  I also think the possibility exists to move one of those 2nd's next year to try and grab a WR who they might have a higher grade on in something like the 3rd round this year if they sit in the 1st.  

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That's pretty much where I am, but none of us know details of what's gone on or going on "behind the scenes" at One Bills Drive.

True. There really has to be some issue here we don’t really know yet. Or will know 

Just now, JMM said:

Oh wait the 2d rounder is NEXT year. Ugh. Still was a move we needed to make but yikes. Hoping Beane already has something up his sleeve here. Can this year's 28 and one of those seconds next year get us into top 15 this year??

Perhaps a deal with his buddy Joe Schoen for #6 ?   

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, stlbills13 said:

I have a feeling the Bills saw the Chiefs without Tyreek and said "we can do that too". They'll lean more on the run game and short game passing. Diggs wasn't as important with Brady although it'd be stupid to totally downplay him. You still need to draft a WR early but you needed to do that even with Diggs. 

That's as good as compensation as you'll get unfortunately. 

They had a smothering defense and a great D coordinator to supplement a lesser offense though. We have McD. We know our D's going to get blown up in the playoffs like it always does.

With McD in charge of the D, we know we have to put together an offense that can score 30+, possibly 40+ in most of these games to make up for McD's shortcomings to have a shot to win it. Our offense doesn't have the luxury to do what Mahomes just did. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman

This was not what I was expecting. It does make some sense. Especially for getting out from the cap hit 2-3 years down the road.

actually thought the trade would be with Seattle for Knox to move to 16, which still might happen, Knox seems to be a luxury we can no longer afford.

i do want to push back on the Diggs is a cancer, his season when down hill with Brady, who call all those stupid WR screens. Sure he missed a few, painfully, but also Brady had a -art in that. We’ll see Brady will get his guys and have no excuses.

also I don’t think we can underestimate the McClappy effect… Dabold, Fraizer, and the choices of and failure of Dorsey. seems to me Diggs & MD were oil and water. I also think Diggs felt the crushing loses the most. (Remember that catch he had to take the lead vs Arizona, that catch was insane for him to watch MD’s defense give up the hail Murray him staying on the field after 13 seconds). He really might not have had another run in him in buffalo, and Huston is the new hotness, I think he’ll have a great season there.

Thanks to Diggs for making the last 4 years fun to watch.

on to the future. I don’t see how we are not moving up far to get one of the top three. Fingers crossed the one we get is the new Justin Jefferson. Think we also get another FA and late round receiver. 

As the late Vonte Davis said “it’s a young man’s game” now it’s on Josh to develop players. 

1 minute ago, JMM said:

Top 15 Probably not 

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

O'Cyrus Torrence says hi. Tre White too. Zay Jones was in for 79% of snaps. Terrel Bernard played 93% of snaps in game he wasn't injured in, 999 snaps.

If you're good enough right off, he'll put you in. And it'll be easier still in years when the roster has some real holes, which this group does right now.

Other than QB and Tackle, what is the hardest position to learn?

And N. Peterman says high back😁

Edited by Buffalo Boy

19 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Again, though, for those of you saying "Beane has a plan" - if he had a "plan" why didn't it involve targeting more WRs in LAST YEAR'S draft than Justin Shorter?  Now they're scrambling to fill a hole that should've been addressed already.

No offense CT, but you and over half the board went nuts when Beane traded away Watkins and it ended up being a tremendous move.

Diggs did play at an underwhelming level through the last half of the season and has not played at a high level through the playoffs throughout his career.   

No doubt that replacing Diggs regular season production will be tough, but the Bills did play their best football when Diggs went virtually absent.  He is turning 31, he is not on the upswing, he is on the decline.

Will he play at a pro bowl caliber level this next year?  I wouldn't bank against that possibility, he will be highly motivated and Stroud will want to get him the ball, but I think it's evident that he didn't want to be a Bill any longer.

The Bills have a very good TE in Kincaid who from my perspective will be a pro bowl level TE who could very well see 100 receptions this year.  Shakir has shown lots of great signs of being a quality receiver, Curtis Samuel is a nice player plus Cook is a weapon from the backfield.   So there is a solid young nucleus of weapons who are all on the upswing.

I have no doubt that the Bills will obtain another high quality prospect and possibly two more to round out the receiving room.

This Diggs move will free up $27 Million in cap space in 2025, which means that Beane will have money to go after another high end FA next year.

Look at the weapons Brady had in some of his super bowl years, Gronk and Welker and a bunch of system JAGS and Brady was able to distribute the ball around for years.   Look at Mahomes the past two years, Kelce and JuJu were his best weapons the year before and last year it was Kelce and a rookie in Rasheed.

The point is that Elite QB's make receivers look good and the nucleus of weapons that are already on the team and the draft ahead of the Bills should be able to put up more offensive weapons than Mahomes has had the past two years.

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, 90sBills said:

It may be but it had to be done. You can’t have your qb and star wr splintered like that.

Bad news is Bills might not even get to the divisional round next season to flop. Or maybe that’s good news? Take a step back to move forward. 

If the Bills did nothing (not even drafted) and came into next season with exactly what they have I still think they have a great chance (I'll put it at 70% arbitrarily) to win the division. 

This is the year to retool if there ever has been one. 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

not surprised by the move.  a bit surprised there was a trade partner.  his salary is immense for the production he put out last season along with his age.   not going to pretend to know what was going on behind the scenes at OBD,  but,  Diggs was a pro,  a team captain,  took a pounding and always showed up,  until recently.  maybe he wanted out,  maybe he dogged it a bit to force his way out.   we do know that he wants to play with his brother,  so moving onto Texas at least gets him closer.  ty for your time here Stefon,  was exciting nearly every week.

to all those that see this as an incoming homerun swing into the top 5 to nab a receiver,   be careful,  receiver is the hardest spot to transition from college to the pros.  top guys flame out or take years to produce,  all the time.   sure theres been a handful of guys lately that were plug and play,  but thats not the norm.  short of  grabbing Harrison Jr,  i wouldnt even bother.  ideally what you want to do is exactly what Beane did those years ago with Diggs,  you want to find an established guy 1 or 2 years into showing consistency,  and trade for that.   the draft is a crap shoot.

That's maybe how it used to be.  Rookie WR are taking the feature roll all over the league now.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-rookie-wide-receivers-by-who-will-be-most-productive-in-2023-chargers-quentin-johnston-tops-list/

Edited by Coldfronts

1 minute ago, JMM said:

Probably not but this years and next years 1sts can do it.

Throw in one of our two seconds next season and you are talking in the top 10 and one of the big 3.

27 minutes ago, BillsMontreal said:

Sounds good, but those players were part of the process in the Trust the process.   So, the same Staff who bring them in this process will bring some others players and tell us to trust the new process again?  I will be there and i will root, but sincerely, i dont know what's this process now. I guess it's a kind of -we'll try to be competitive and who knows if we could be lucky? - and nothing more than that.

I don't know exactly what "The Process" is, but it can't possibly be to hold onto players when they are in decline or when they are a drag on the locker room. Any process to keep a team competitive must include getting rid of players when it's time to move on. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Sundo91 said:

Diggs was instrumental in our success over the last few years, but this move had to happen and i'm good with it. Too many short-sighted fans. He's definitely on the downside of his career, and is a massive distraction. By week 6 next year he will be screaming about his targets. 2024 might not have the success that we all want, but we are setup nicely to have a massive 2025. 

Diggs has made it abundantly clear in both Minnesota and now here who he really is.   Talented player, but he is incredibly emotionally immature.  He likes to sell his "passion" on the field as leadership, but in reality, it's just more "look at me" behavior.   He should have been out of here after the Bengals' playoff game.  First guy to point the finger at someone else, last guy to point a finger at himself in any tangible way.      Guy got paid $77 million dollars by the Bills to play with an elite Quarterback and still whined about it.   Dont let the door hit you on the way out.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, JMM said:

ya that was my first thought. i thought it was a 24 2nd .. even if they use it to move up it'll be equivalent to a 24 3rd rder

7 minutes ago, 5ths the charm said:

I'm not saying the trade wasn't a good idea, but they should've asked for a bit more.  Houston got a smoking deal.  I like Brandon's moves, I just think he over pays for deals.

No reason to think he didn't ask more. This seems to have taken a while to develop. Thing is, he's older and appeared dissatisfied in Buffalo (IMO). Neither of those factors increase value.

If I was a GM and Beane had called me asking about Diggs, I'd have low-balled him. I'd guess that's what happened.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JMM said:

Beane is pretty methodical.  He's probably been thinking about how he wants to use the pick and what he plans to do in this year's draft from the minute he started considering this trade.

I do think he trades up now.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1