Diggs traded to Texans for picks

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They didn’t face Patrick Mahomes who has played in 6 straight AFC Championships and won 3 Super Bowls.

Throwing in the towel, eh.  LOL 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Short term...D

However we now have an extra 2nd round pick and this trade clears about $27M off next year's Salary Cap. Let's see what they do with all the assets the trade brought first. 

Bills saying we aren't a good enough team this year, see you next year

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I hold fast to the belief that nothing matters except Josh. He is the key to the team. I like shifting to a Patriots mold of wide receiver, guys who run precise routes who Brady didn’t have to force the ball to. No true number 1. Ideally your QB can drop back, read the defense and throw the ball to the open guy, and trust that those guys will be where they are supposed to be. That isn’t Gabe Davis. And Josh had some pressure on him to force the ball to Diggs. Those guys are now gone. This is a good shift. 

Now this is obviously a downgrade in talent, but in the long run we may be better off. In my mind Dalton Kincaid should be the number 1 target ala Gronk with the Pats. 100% they need to draft two guys early imo. 

It’s ok to be upset about losing Diggs. It is also ok to say good riddance. Both groups are right. They gave it 4 years and it didn’t work out. It’s also ok to get emotional about it, but that’s kind of a waste of time. Now everyone gets to see what Diggs would like in the Shanahan style offense. Houston will be good as long as Stroud doesn’t feel forced to feed Diggs. He’s basically the number 3 there. 

Finally, in terms of compensation, obviously it isn’t good. But the market dictates that and it just kind of is what it is. We don’t know exactly what was going on behind closed doors, but for Beane to eat 30 million of dead cap, one must assume it was at the point of no return. 

It’s a new beginning and as long as we have Josh, we have a chance. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I'm actually more excited for the season now. Getting younger, cheaper and more interesting. Instead of running it all back and hoping for a different outcome. Chiefs won this way. Kudos organization.

It was likely he'd be gone next year with von.  Now you have that cap space in 2025.  Void years, restructures, it all takes a toll to keep the band together.  Now they are a bit more prepared to enter 2025 with the ability to acquire impact players through trade and free agency.  They also look to acquire a couple of comp picks in 2025 as well.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, first_and_ten said:

Would Diggs be gone if he was a not such a headache, that's the question. If no, then it's a bad deal. Whenever you have to unload a talented player because of his antics, you usually get fleeced. 

His role really diminished after they canned Dorsey. Maybe that's a coincidence, maybe it's not.

I mentioned OBJ because he is similarly toxic, threw Eli & Baker under the bus, the Rams released him, now the Ratbirds. Diggs had a couple good QBs with Cousins & Allen, and still whines. I say good riddance.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Beane didn’t do this trade and not have a plan, the guy doesn’t take a dump without a plan.  
   Fans always think there guys are worth more than they are, Diggs has been for the most part a non entity in in the playoffs for two seasons in a row now, on top of his whinny BS, this sort of performance gets people fired in the real world,  or in this case traded.
  Frankly I’m not concerned in the slightest over this, my bet is that the offense becomes less predictable and more dynamic. Chill out and watch what transpires between now and training camp, it’s all good. 

Best post of this thread so far.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

The return address on Andre's note was "Canton, OH"

Sorry, haven’t read through the entire thread yet.  Did Andre have something to say about Diggs recently?

2 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Diggs is going to be SOLID this year. A motivated Diggs is a force. 

That's agnostic of my feelings on the trade.

Diggs not in the slot half the time is a force.  Diggs in the slot is like using Derrick henry as a blocking FB.  

12 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I would agree if it was a 2024 2nd... I know Rick Spielman is saying this may be the best WR Draft, heck even the best Draft overall in NFL history. It's the perfect storm of the covid and NIL fallout... This is a crazy good Draft year. 

Fair points. I do think the bills will use that 2025 2nd to trade up and get a receiver though. We shall see

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I still think Diggs is better. Put Diggs on that team with all those HOF, what’s it look like? No slight on Reed…Diggs to me is the best we ever had

Reed AND Moulds were better. That’s no slight to Diggs. 

2 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Guys, just relax.......you know Beane has a plan.

If you've been a fan of this team for even 20 minutes, you know that something is cooking behind the scenes.

Diggs gone?......i could honestly care less and it couldn't have happened soon enough.

It's funny cause everybody wants change and then when it happens, holy ****, the sky is falling.........it's not.

This is a good day....trust me.

Watch what ole Beane has up his sleeve.

Sit back and enjoy the show.

I sure hope you're right my friend

23 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

The only thing that would make me happy right now 

I would do this in a heartbeat and smile all the way to the podium........

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

I thought for sure he was hurt....

but he participated in all the pro bowl stuff

He had a bruised ego.  I'm sure after that Cincy blowup, there were people in the organization that didn't take to kindly to it.  That's the type of thing that starts a divide.  Diggs saw how lopsided the count was in Allen's favor, and his EGO hasn't recovered since.

(my own personal hot take....lol)

Just now, NickelCity said:

Diggs is going to be SOLID this year. A motivated Diggs is a force. 

That's agnostic of my feelings on the trade.

I think each pass that someone not named diggs catches cuts into diggs’ personal motivation a small percentage lol it’s gonna happen pretty quickly in Houston 

In public statements though he’ll be a good teammate to try to disprove the diva label but over time that will fall by the wayside too 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Would y'all rather trade up in a massive move for a Nabers, Harrison, Odunze then take another guy mid-rounds or use a pick next year to move up and double dip on say a Xavier Legette and AD Mitchell?

I like the idea of a more modest move up for Thomas, who has as high an upside as any of those guys. He’s a perfect fit for what we need.

15 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Houston got draft picks for this year, so couldn’t have been a post June 1.  Wonder what a post June 1 trade would have looked like?

I reserve the right to get this one wrong, but I am going through the wayback machine, and I think the Bills free up $27M in 2025 cap space by making this a pre June-1 cut. Spotrac is still a little wonky for the Bills 2025 and Diggs Houston numbers, but that seems to be what the numbers are telling me? 

I will update @SDS when it is finalized. But ultimately Houston should only be on the hook for Diggs salary for the duration he is on their roster. If they cut him next offseason they should get quite a bit of cap relief. But they don't really need to, his cap number for them is hovering around the 17th among WRs. Whereas in Buffalo he would be pushing the highest WR cap number. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sven233 said:

I would do this in a heartbeat and smile all the way to the podium........

probably easier to make a deal for 9 with the bears...but those top wr's may not be there.

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Wow.

Reposting this because it's going to get lost in the thread:

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You know what, now is a good time to spill the beans on what I was told earlier this year - In the home Patriots game, Diggs chose to sit out the first drive of the 2nd half because he was upset with Allen's play in the 1st half. It wasn't an injury or part of the game plan. He decided to screw over his team and sit out a drive because he couldn't get over himself.

I suspect other stories like this will come out in the coming days. A couple aren't mine to tell. Guy was a total headcase and a major distraction in more ways than one.

The Bills kept the issues under wraps for the most part. But anyone who knew someone close to the team was aware of his constant distractions, both in public and behind the scenes.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 7

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

THIS

LOL, now the primary reason why we haven't done better in the playoffs is Diggs' fault.  

LMAO 

I must've missed the explanation of why they lied to us for the past year.  

I'm assuming there are some behind the scenes reasons for the trade, mainly that Diggs has been privately expressing frustration and wanted to leave.  Maybe McDermott and Beane felt a disgruntled Diggs would be worse than trading him away.  Houston is an up and coming team that likely makes the playoffs next season.  I would much rather the Bills had gotten a high pick in this upcoming draft than having to wait a year.  This seals a first round WR in this draft and makes a small trade up more likely.  I haven't looked at the whole thread to see if anyone has posted what the cap implications are. 

If the Bills got rid of his huge salary and are only taking a 3-4 million dollar cap hit then this could be a great move if they can somehow land one of the top receivers this year. Diggs has been awesome until whatever happened last year. All the controversy was created by the media, not the man himself. Diggs has heart and he showed me that the game is more important to him than anything else. I wish him well.

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 1

Outside of the forced debate shows (this news broke during First Take)... quite a bit of the analysis of this move is some iteration of "The Bills did the right thing".

Kyle Brandt linked above... Lombardi is talking about how the list wasn't that long to take on Diggs 18M and now let's see if he's happy being a 2nd or 3rd option on Houston. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, wjag said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Feels like a break up. I'm like a little hurt it's over, then I realize she got a Lil fat this year.... silent treatment/arguments. Talking s*** about you to her friends

U really g2 be an a-hole to stop being friends with Josh tbh. top 2 qb, seemingly one of the most liked dudes in league by fans, executives, teammates, other teams players

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Reposting this because it's going to get lost in the thread:

The Bills kept the issues under wraps for the most part. But anyone who knew someone close to the team was aware of his constant distractions, both in public and behind the scenes.

Wow - I missed that. Thanks for reposting.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Package that pick, move up for Nabers/MHJ. 

PRETTY PLEASE!   I love Nabers a bit more, but splitting hairs here.  Plus, I think Nabors has a better shot at lasting until pick 6 (Giants).

here is an outside the box idea.

28 and next years 1 to Dallas for CeeDee Lamb.  Dallas has been dropping hints at not wanting to sign him long term with a possible rebuild next year with a new staff.

He is a do everything wr, extremely arrogant but he plays all the spots, is a YAC guy .....but he needs a monster contract.  A rookie allows them to next year spend money on defense.

• Haha (+1) 1