Draft night I can see this coming

Somewhere between picks 4-8 Roger walks up to the microphone and announces:  We have a trade.  Buffalo has traded (a small boatload of picks) to (team to be named) and is now on the clock.  And we get one of the top 3 rated WRs in the draft.

Beane and McD have said they need to get more explosive.  And they’ll do that by getting more explosive with their moves to draft an explosive WR for Josh.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 16
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1) This isn't happening

2) People seem to have zero clue of the draft value chart when it comes to our Day 3 picks.  The only way we're materially moving up in Round 1 of this Draft is by packaging 28 and next years RD1..  We only have one Day 2 pick and our RD4's can move us up a couple spots each, at most. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Somewhere between picks 4-8 Roger walks up to the microphone and announces:  We have a trade.  Buffalo has traded (a small boatload of picks) to (team to be named) and is now on the clock.  And we get one of the top 3 rated WRs in the draft.

Beane and McD have said they need to get more explosive.  And they’ll do that by getting more explosive with their moves to draft an explosive WR for Josh.

Any idea how much draft capital is needed to go from 28 to top 10?  

IMO…very very small chance of this happening. 

• Agree 1

I would move next years first and this years first for one of the top 3 receivers in this draft for sure. 

We are arguably 1-2 players away from being top contenders. WR2 plus the ability to take over for Steph is on the top of Beans list 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Honestly, yea maybe. I could see them packaging next years #1 to try and move up. 

• Agree 2

i could see pennix there at 28 and seattle calling us to trade for 28. give us this years second, third, and next years 1st and a conditional.... i'd bite in a heartbeat.

doe anyone realize how under the cap we are for 2025?!

1 minute ago, Ghs24mike said:

I would move next years first and this years first for one of the top 3 receivers in this draft for sure. 

We are arguably 1-2 players away from being top contenders. WR2 plus the ability to take over for Steph is on the top of Beans list 

only for MHJ

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

1) This isn't happening

2) People seem to have zero clue of the draft value chart when it comes to our Day 3 picks.  The only way we're materially moving up in Round 1 of this Draft is by packaging 28 and next years RD1..  We only have one Day 2 pick and our RD4's can move us up a couple spots each, at most. 

Agreed.  Those day 3 picks will be valuable for moving up in Rd 2 though.

Say to jump ahead of Steelers, move from Pick 60 to Pick 50.  Both Steelers and Bills have very similar positional needs: WR, Safety, Center

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Ghs24mike said:

Only for MHJ.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agreed.  Those day 3 picks will be valuable for moving up in Rd 2 though.

Say to jump ahead of Steelers, move from Pick 60 to Pick 50.  Both Steelers and Bills have very similar positional needs: WR, Safety, Center

Completely agree.  I don't expect us to move up in RD1.. maybe even moving back given the league's shenanigans with our RD3 vanishing pick.  However, I expect us to be very active on Day 2. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If we did that we wouldn't be able to field a team.  Never gonna happen.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

1) This isn't happening

It’s not just the people here … some Bills media guy ( Matt Bove I think ) was saying yesterday  that they could move up to the late teens “with a fourth and fifth “… 

And of course… there is never any issues finding teams to move down right?  from the Top 5 down to 28…

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

My thought exactly - that didn't work out too well for us...

I’m not advocating for this, nor do I think it happens. But the notion that it didn’t work out 10 years ago doesn’t mean they can’t get it right in the future.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Yes. We can get the next Sammy Watkins!

Exactly.  Watkins was seen as a once in a decade kind of prospect but didn't pan out.  On the other hand, people point out that we might have been better off if we had picked Justin Jefferson instead of trading with the Vikes.  However, there's no guarantee that that is who we would have picked and little guarantee that he would turn out the way he has.  Jefferson was the fifth receiver taken in that draft (behind Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamb, and Reagor).  Just looked back at nfl.com's assessment of Jefferson coming out and he was seen as someone would "become a good starter within 2 years," but with "separation talent just above average."  When you draft the top players you aren't necessarily getting better players.  What you are getting is players with better odds of being better...but the early ones might be busts and the late ones might be hall of famers.  Getting those better odds, particularly with a class so deep at wide receiver, just isn't worth it.

plus WR depth in this draft is deep. Giving up a boatload of picks is only viable if you need a QB, but if you need a QB you are probably drafting mid teens and not 28 so the move up costs consideably less.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I love this draft class because of how deep with talent the WR room is but honestly if you told me we were trading up for one of the top 3 I’m not mad at that either 

• Agree 1

We'll trade up in some rounds, or maybe trade for future picks - I can't see us staying put & drafting 11 players.  But I'd see something more along the lines of moving up a few spots in some of the early rounds if there is someone they really like.  I doubt we trade up into the top 10.

I could see them moving up a few spots to land Thomas Jr., but if they stay put, they should have at least 2 of the following available:

Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Troy Franklin, Keon Coleman

No need to move up in a stacked WR class, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And then you wake up from your dream!!

If the Bills traded every pick they have this year, they wouldn't get even close to the #8 pick.  If they added in next years 2nd round they may get close to #8 along with every other pick this year.

The Bills can trade a boatload of their draft picks to move up from the 5th to maybe the top half of the 4th.

Maybe you should some research before posting.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And then you wake up from your dream!!

If the Bills traded every pick they have this year, they wouldn't get even close to the #8 pick.  If they added in next years 2nd round they may get close to #8 along with every other pick this year.

The Bills can trade a boatload of their draft picks to move up from the 5th to maybe the top half of the 4th.

Maybe you should some research before posting.

Ironic lol

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

nice title name bud.

56 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

There is, IMO, a better chance of Beane trading back and out of the first round completely than a move like this. If we move up ( and without a 3rd this year now, doubting we do) it would likely be no higher than 25 if Beane feels jittery that his "last remaining 1st round grades guy" is gonna get taken.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ghs24mike said:

This year’s first plus next year’s first might get them to around pick 15 which isn’t high enough to get Harrison, Odinze or Nabers.  It *might* get you Thomas jr

Can't see going 28 to 10. But if the right WR is there I would be fine giving up next year's 1 to get around 12-14. We are most likely going to be picking at 27-32 next year. So it's not really a very valuable #1.

The guy would have to be special though. Otherwise I actually advocate moving down in a deep draft for WR.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

No way old man.  At 28, Roger will step to the mic and say the Buffalo Bills have selected Troy Franklin, WR, University of Oregon. 

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Can't see going 28 to 10. But if the right WR is there I would be fine giving up next year's 1 to get around 12-14. We are most likely going to be picking at 27-32 next year. So it's not really a very valuable #1.

The guy would have to be special though. Otherwise I actually advocate moving down in a deep draft for WR.

Down is the play, in my opinion.  Unless they pull a miracle in FA, the defense is going to take a step back this year - if Miller doesn’t return to some form close to what he was for the Bills before his injury, defense could be pretty bad.  I would really need to be sure of the guy I want to trade next year’s 1st because it could be considerably higher than 28 next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Down is the play, in my opinion.  Unless they pull a miracle in FA, the defense is going to take a step back this year - if Miller doesn’t return to some form close to what he was for the Bills before his injury, defense could be pretty bad.  I would really need to be sure of the guy I want to trade next year’s 1st because it could be considerably higher than 28 next year.

Agree. This defense need a rebuild and you're not going to do it trading picks away.

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

I'm fine with trading down. That is what I would do. Just saying if a top 3 WR was there I could live with going after him and giving up next years first. 

Defense will be fine and better than last year. Poyer and Hyde were not good. Milano will be back. DQ will be there all year. Bernard will have more experience. Miller can't be worse. Rousseau will be in a contract year. Go WR in the first and Edge in 2nd and they will be fine.

5 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

No way old man.  At 28, Roger will step to the mic and say the Buffalo Bills have selected Troy Franklin, WR, University of Oregon. 

In my opinion, that would be a bad pick.  Go find video of Franklin falling twice running routes against air at the combine and watch him struggle through the “gauntlet” drill.  He is also only 175lbs.  Now, I acknowledge that doesn’t erase what he accomplished last year, but combined that would leave him off my list of options for round 1.  Maybe at 60, I’d take him.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm fine with trading down. That is what I would do. Just saying if a top 3 WR was there I could live with going after him and giving up next years first. 

Defense will be fine and better than last year. Poyer and Hyde were not good. Milano will be back. DQ will be there all year. Bernard will have more experience. Miller can't be worse. Rousseau will be in a contract year. Go WR in the first and Edge in 2nd and they will be fine.

I hope you’re right, but I think you’re underestimating how much they will miss their rotational guys (Floyd, Phillips, Settle, and I think I’m forgetting someone.)