Greg Cosell - “I don’t think they have a number 1 WR”

Diggs and Von Miller contracts are going to prevent the bills from fixing this team.

Both are washed and we are stuck with them.

Meanwhile KC has 75 Million plus to play with in free agency.

The bills can forget superbowl for years to come.

Josh Allen will end like manning not winning til over 30.

Talk about billsy.

Edited by Unforgiven
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Pretty amazing comment. He says it’s based on film study. The Bills don’t have a number 1 receiver.

Comment starts at 2:13 in. But it’s a good listen. Not sure if this link will work.

https://go.audacy.com/rzMEawrpGGb

According to Beane Diggs is still a #1 but then again this regime thinks guys entering 30 are just entering there primes, 😂

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

The Ravens don't have one either. They are probably going to the SB with no WR having over 1,000 yards. Zay Flowers led the team with 858, but no one else even had 600 yards. Also, Lamar is their leading rusher. 

That D is carrying that team very quietly 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Diggs and Von Miller contracts are going to prevent the bills from fixing this team.

Talk about billsy.

More like rivers. unfortunately. THAT would be billsy. 

7 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

According to Beane Diggs is still a #1 but then again this regime thinks guys entering 30 are just entering there primes, 😂

That D is carrying that team very quietly 

That Ravens defense is just flat out nasty. Both them and the 49ers bring the physical play up to a different level. The Chiefs offense won't be averaging 7 yards a play this week.

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

Im not buying it.  Dude had a poor 1/2 season.  He will be back in form. 

I hope you're right, but it had been what 11-12 games since he had 100 yards, he already doesn't block worth a damn and had more drops this year than I ever remember in the past.

• Agree 1

The Ravens don't have one either. They are probably going to the SB with no WR having over 1,000 yards. Zay Flowers led the team with 858, but no one else even had 600 yards. Also, Lamar is their leading rusher. 

Different offensive philosophies because different QB.  Flowers would have killed it with Allen or Mahomes.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I mean, I'd agree.

I'd like to say it's Diggs, and think he could be.  But his production doesn't match what you would expect of a #1.

Unless there was a major injury Diggs was hiding, he might not even be that good of a #2 receiver the way he played. Less speration than usual, not as many moves after the catch to get that extra couple of yards....he just looked very 'ehh'.   There is real chance that age/workload has caught up to him and he is on a quick slide down in terms of usefulness. 

• Agree 1

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/greg-cosell-final-thoughts-on-bills-2023-season-offseason-needs

Here is the video of the audio file the OP cited. 4:33 of the video:

Greg Cosell: "Based on tape study, I don't think they truly have a number one and they certainly don't have a field stretcher. I think when you have Josh Allen you need to invest in your receiver corps.... Shakir's going to be a really good number 3 type, he's going to be really good for what he is but they need an alpha dog and they need speed. This offense is hamstrung in the pass game by what they're lacking. It shows up in almost every game."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

54 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Wasn’t Diggs leading the league in receptions up until Dorsey got canned?

I’m not bringing this up to bash Brady (I like wins); only making a point that Diggs was every bit of a #1 until the change was made. 

I agree.  Unless Diggs had an injury that we don't know about, I'd attribute his drop off in production to the change in OC and offensive philosophy (which, for the most part, worked).  Guys drop off as they get older, particularly after age 30, but if they're not injured, they simply don't drop off this much in the matter of a couple of weeks.

I also agree, however, that the Bills WR corps needs to get a younger, bigger guy on the outside, whether or not Diggs comes back next season (which he likely will) and whether or not Diggs' stats return more to his usual numbers.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What was crazy to me is Chris Brown and Steve Tasker didn’t even say anything about the comment. No reaction. Makes me wonder.

They haven't been told what to say by the OBD propaganda office they work for. 

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Talk about billsy.

Look closely at their free agent list. It includes Chris Jones and Sneed.

Everyone is panicking about KC but they have to sign some of their best players 

54 minutes ago, 947 said:

The problem with Diggs is the complete lack of effort on most plays that aren't a pass with him as the #1 option.

On run plays, he barely moves, rarely attempts to block anyone, and basically just stands there way too often. On pass plays with others as the primary, he often runs his route at 60% unless he sees Josh scramble, in which case he speeds up & tries to get open. When he's doubled, he often just gives up & dogs it. This stuff wouldn't fly in youth football, and they'd be called out the first time it happened. I can't believe he's still getting away with it.

This wasn't an issue his first few years here, but now is a major one. If your #1 WR isn't doing the little things, it brings the whole offense down.

This.  You don't even need all 22 to see this.  I've seen it on the regular broadcast often.  I am not saying Diggs is done but he isn't the same Diggs.  Someone else elite on the outside may help with that.  Maybe scheme might help with it, but Diggs is on the downward slope of his career.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

BULLSEYE BABY!!  Literally I will run laps around the house with joy if we have the courage to go Round 1, 2 and 3  WR.   This class is loaded.  If you hit on at least 2 of the 3, your offense becomes terrifying in a hurry.  We need a Dynamic Explosive WR and another with Contested Catch Great Hands 

i agree.  How many plays this year had no chance simply because sherfield was out there being counted on to do something.  

That Mark Andrews guy is pretty good. It's the same situation with the Chiefs where they can have dogwater at WR so long as they have Taylor's Boyfriend

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I’m not bringing this up to bash Brady (I like wins); only making a point that Diggs was every bit of a #1 until the change was made. 

I think he got dinged up at some point and wasn’t the same. And we heard about the foot at the end. I just saw no explosion from him after a certain point. I don’t know if that is true or related, but it looked that way to me. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

BULLSEYE BABY!!  Literally I will run laps around the house with joy if we have the courage to go Round 1, 2 and 3  WR.   This class is loaded.  If you hit on at least 2 of the 3, your offense becomes terrifying in a hurry.  We need a Dynamic Explosive WR and another with Contested Catch Great Hands 

We know they won't, which is why we would run laps.  Need to hit on 2 WRs

This is absolutely comical.  If Allen doesn't miss a wide open Diggs on a 90 yard TD and if Diggs catches a pass he beat his defender on a go route no one is talking like Diggs is washed. 

Doggs may be the finest route runner in the NFL. He never had elite speed or size. 

His decreased numbers were scheme and OC related along with Josh missing him multiple times.

My only concern with Diggs this year was the drops. That should be corrected next year. 

54 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Talk about billsy.

So he is winning a SB when over 30?

Phew … thought he might not win at all,,,

They have 4-5 guys better than  [second half of the season]Diggs 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What was crazy to me is Chris Brown and Steve Tasker didn’t even say anything about the comment. No reaction. Makes me wonder.

I think people in this thread are reading things into the comment.

What does that even mean?  "We don't have a number one receiver....."

Folks here are interpreting this to be a dig at Diggs; pun intended.

Like he's not good enough to be thought of as a true No. 1.

I think he meant it more like he is not our obvious and heavy "go to" guy in the offense.

I.E., all the receivers are getting the ball too evenly to call Diggs the dominant guy.

Who knows...who cares.

We need THREE WRs this off-season.

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Neither AFC team had a 1000 yard receiver this year.

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

I just dont see how his age can catch up to him in one week.  Usually you would see a slow decline.  But perhaps he has.  We will find out.  No way are they trading him. 

I think he got hurt against the Steelers and then he took several huge hits Sunday that made it worse.

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Diggs is 30 now and will be 31 next season. That's not old but if his subpar 2nd half of the season wasn't injury related then his decline will probably continue as he gets older.

PFF has Diggs graded at 21, and there are no surprises among those ranked above him. Keenan Allen, Mike Evans, and D Hop are the only WR's OLDER than Diggs who are graded higher.  The one thing tho, the best ability is availability, and Diggs did have the fifth most snaps in the league among wideouts.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't know a source of week-by-week league wide receiving stats, so I can't confirm or deny.  I have a vague memory of looking at stats and seeing Diggs leading or close to the top, not in receptions, but in targets and thinking "huh that's weird".  It looked more like forcing the ball.

If Diggs was leading the league in receptions at one point (anyone got those cumulative stats after each week?), I don't see how it can possibly have been until Dorsey was fired (after Denver).

Diggs receiving numbers fell off a cliff after the Giants game (NWE loss and on).  His games against NWE and DEN were kinda pitiful, receptions and receiving yards.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Maybe need an OC that can get him the ball more often.

Not sure where the fault lies,  but not much Diggs production after Brady took over. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00/gamelog/2023/

Brady took over after Denver game

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

The Bills need a different type of receiver. No need to get caught up in the “#1 WR” or “#2 WR” jargon.

They have got guys that excel at certain things (including Diggs). They don’t have anyone that’s a true deep threat. They need a guy that’s good enough to warrant a few long shots every single game.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Im not buying it.  Dude had a poor 1/2 season.  He will be back in form. 

Yeah, even if the 2nd half of the season is a harbinger of decline, what do you call the 1st half? He was elite then. I don't think you can slip this fast, especially at 30. Most likely this is a combination of the OC change, a nagging injury, and the very beginning of a slow reduction in skill. 

21 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't know a source of week-by-week league wide receiving stats, so I can't confirm or deny.  I have a vague memory of looking at stats and seeing Diggs leading or close to the top, not in receptions, but in targets and thinking "huh that's weird".  It looked more like forcing the ball.

If Diggs was leading the league in receptions at one point (anyone got those cumulative stats after each week?), I don't see how it can possibly have been until Dorsey was fired (after Denver).

Diggs receiving numbers fell off a cliff after the Giants game (NWE loss and on).  His games against NWE and DEN were kinda pitiful, receptions and receiving yards.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00/gamelog/2023/

Brady took over after Denver game

He still finished 7th in receptions, 13th in yards

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Flowers is a rookie who had an excellent season. He definitely is a #1 WR going forward for them.

2 hours ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

This is why they pay Greg Cosell the big bucks.

I love Cosell, but in this case, he's only giving his bosses what they want/what he's paid to do.  

The "numbering" of receivers is nothing more than a way for the Average Joe to sort things in his head.  There's outside receivers and slot receivers, & some teams have (plays drawn up for) guys like Deebo who can move among the positions.  And some guys are just best suited outside, like a George Pickens - we know he doesn't want to be involved in blocking any more than he has to.  As opposed to a Gabe Davis, who relishes battling with DBs in the run game if that is what's called for. 

Back to the point, Diggs could probably be one of the best slot receivers in the game, starting next season, but has thus far been used mostly on the outside (until Brady started to draw up some bubble screens and handoffs to help get the ball in his hands).

I am not sure what the hell they'll do, as FA Davis is also an enigma to the Average Joe (he's not a true #2, he's more of a #3) but was voted a team captain by his peers and may not be highly sought after.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.