Looks like Leonard Floyd won't give the Bills a discount to resign him.

Gregg

10 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He was coming off a 9 sack season and still available pretty late into FA. I don't expect that to change being a year older now. I'd say there is a chance we see him back on a one or two year deal a bit later in the FA cycle. A 2 year deal with a small pay bump makes sense.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He was coming off a 9 sack season and still available pretty late into FA. I don't expect that to change being a year older now. I'd say there is a chance we see him back on a one or two year deal a bit later in the FA cycle. A 2 year deal with a small pay bump makes sense.

He signed very late and may have turned down better offers early then had to settle…

I don’t think they will even want him back next season… they need a longer term solution ..

Just now, JMM said:

Impact player in first half of season then disappeared.  Move on, get younger. 

Yeah two completely different halves. Someone did say he was dealing with a shoulder injury, so that may explain it.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Disagree completely.

I think the knock on him last year was he was considered a bit of a bust when he was signed by the Rams. Then he took off. But a lot of people thought it might have just been playing alongside Aaron Donald.

So he literally had to sign a "prove it" deal with us. He proved it. His market will be better this year.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

Just now, H2o said:

I would rather re-sign Epenesa than re-sign Floyd, especially if we're talking similar $$$. 

It’s a great question.  Do you go with the younger guy who is less productive or the older guy who is more productive. 

I’m a UGA guy, so I’m partial to Floyd, but Epenesa had a breakout year and I can see him having more upside going forward and this team needs to get younger.  My other thought is try to get an edge rusher in the draft.  I think we could get lucky and someone like Chris Braswell could fall to us in 3rd round. 

Floyd was a great pick up by Beane and he was a key player for the D through 2/3 of the season or so.  He had 1 sack in his last 6 games, none in the postseason. (So 1 in 8) That disappearance is concerning if looking at him for a bigger contract.  

I'll be sorry to see Floyd go. He was our best and most consistent pass rusher this season. Hopefully, Miller will return to form next season and fill that role.

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

First of all, there is nothing in that story that is news. We've known this since the end of the game. Secondly, he took a one-year "prove it" deal. He proved it. Now a bad team with cap space will overpay. It's the circle of life.

I think this is right.  He did a nice job for us...let him go get paid.

Why should he take a discount to stay here?

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Disagree completely.

I think the knock on him last year was he was considered a bit of a bust when he was traded to the Rams. Then he took off. But a lot of people thought it might have just been playing alongside Aaron Donald.

So he literally had to sign a "prove it" deal with us. He proved it. His market will be better this year.

What narrative about him did he dispel that will make him more attractive?    

You aren't making sense about the "draft bust" thing being a knock on him coming into his age 31 season.   He cleared that "draft bust" notion like 5-6 years ago.

He had a hot start to the 2023 season but totally vanished in the last 7 games.    

That isn't likely to be lost on prospective employers who are generally loathe to pay 32-33 year old non-HOF pass rushers any significant money.

A one-word synopsis of what he put on tape during that stretch is "washed".   It may be because of injury but it was what it was.

I don't see the Bills even giving Floyd another $9M 1 year deal.........but Beane isn't great with the cap so we can't rule it out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.