If the Bills win the coin toss, what should they do??

Special K

If the Bills win the coin toss, what should they do??  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Defer
    • Take the ball

Normally, the Bills like to defer and I am in favor of it, however, in this game I can see merit in taking the ball first.

Set the tone with an early TD drive, or give Mahomes first crack at it?

What say you??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

Especially at home I’m always in favor of putting the defense on the field first. Also the potential of a double dip to start the 2nd half is really appealing 

I always like the idea of deferring, but with a banged up Defense, the thought of the Chiefs going right down the field for an opening drive TD is not an appealing one.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Take the ball and go get a TD. Make them work from behind on the road. With those receivers, playing catch up on the road won't be easy. 

12 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Defer. Got the home crowd, Set the tone physically

This is why I think this is an interesting question.....two opposite answers, yet both sound correct!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The thing I would hate is taking the ball first and going 3 and out to start. I say Defer if we win the toss and set the tone early with the crowd. Make them get a 3 & out and keep the momentum on our side

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Defer. Got the home crowd, Set the tone physically

Exactly...if the crowd is as loud as I think they'll be, there will be multiple false starts. As banged up as we are I think McDermott will still defer. Stop them and go for the double dip.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Special K said:

Normally, the Bills like to defer and I am in favor of it, however, in this game I can see merit in taking the ball first.

What say you??

DEFER.  It's always the right choice.

Take the Ball.  So that to begin the 3rd qtr with the 2nd half and when KC decides to receive, the Bills choose which direction to kick off (hopefully right to left on TV).  Ideally then in the 4th quarter giving Buffalo the wind at their backs (left to right on TV).

10 hours ago, Special K said:

What say you??

Defer. 

I’m always in favor of deferring, but the beginning of the Divisional game last year is still in the back of my mind. Being down 14-0 before you see the ball a second time is the worst possible outcome. So, I can see benefits for both options today. 

11 hours ago, Special K said:

What say you??

I would still defer

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BreezeMafia said:

Take the Ball.  So that to begin the 3rd qtr with the 2nd half and when KC decides to receive, the Bills choose which direction to kick off (hopefully right to left on TV).  Ideally then in the 4th quarter giving Buffalo the wind at their backs (left to right on TV).

Doesn’t look like wind/ weather will be a significant factor for todays game. 

The "double dip" is a myth.  Its an alternating possession game.  If each team has the same number of possessions in the first half, neither team got an advantage, but that means the team who kicked off first ended with the ball.   In the second half if each team has the same number of possessions, the team that kicked off has the last possession of the game, which proves critical time and time again. 

If the team who recievest the ball first in the half also has the final possession, that is the actual "double dip" because it means the recieve first team actually had one more possession.  

Defer or receive probably does not matter statistically.  If you defer and get a 3 and out, that feels like momentum gained.  If you receive and score, that fills like momentum gained.  But in reality these guys are professionals, and momementum is not particularly important.  To the pros each possession is the same, either a win for the offense, or a win for the defense.  (maybe field goals are a tie) . 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.