Cowboys bringing back Mike McCarthy

Roundybout

Because of bad contracts for a bunch of players they are stuck with him.  No way could they fire him and keep all the key players and pay them....so he stays everyone gets paid and will set the market at wr, de and qb soon.  

They have to play a first place schedule next year and the afc north I believe.  

Next year at this time they will be in the same spot.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Sounds like Bill and Jim told him to pound sand.

I don't think there was ever any chance of Bill going out being micromanaged by Jerrah. It was lazy social media analysis just like Vrabel to NE.

1 minute ago, QCity said:

I don't think there was ever any chance of Bill going out being micromanaged by Jerrah. It was lazy social media analysis just like Vrabel to NE.

I didn't think so either but there was always a chance that Jerruh would park his ego for Bill.  Though I suspect Bill and Jimmy Johnson would have had a chat about it too.

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I didn't think so either but there was always a chance that Jerruh would park his ego for Bill. 

A very, very small chance. I don't what sized lot you would need to park that ego.

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

I think teams are concerned about the high number of openings and the low number of qualified candidates. 

This is the best coaching pool I can remember, tbh.

Harbaugh, BB, Carrol?

Edited by FireChans

3 minutes ago, QCity said:

A very, very small chance. I don't what sized lot you would need to park that ego.

Mortality scares everyone. His quest for "the glory hole" could have been enough. Guess not.  Either that or Bill didn't trust him to live by his word. Hard to blame him if that's the case.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Harbaugh, BB, Carrol?

It's a who's who of cheaters.

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

I think teams are concerned about the high number of openings and the low number of qualified candidates. 

With the low number of practices and HEAVY emphasis on college recruiting/transferring, I think  everybody is becoming disposable.

We have been seeing it for a while in the athlete pipeline, and I think coaching is starting to follow suit.

I really believe these guys have to be in the facility more working without pads, watching film, and have more required contact with coaches. 

• Agree 1

This is a surprise for sure, but interestingly Dak's contract expires after 2024 (2025 & 2026 are on the books as void years). So my guess is Jerry Jones has decided to give McCarthy and Dak one more year, and then blow it all up if/when they fail again next year. The head coach and QB are now tied at the hip.

For the record I don't think Dak played well against the Packers but it would have been impossible for him to win that game anyways given how poorly his defense played. And ultimately a disaster performance like that falls on the head coach above all else.

8 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

It amazes me the crap some coaches get.   McCarthy is far from Vince Lombardi, but I think he's shown he can win in two different organizations.   He's gotten a higher winning percentage out of Dak Prescott than Jason Garrett did, and he's won the NFC East both years fragile Dak was able to play full or close to full seasons.   He has the same win percentage and same number of Super Bowl wins as Sean Payton and for some reason he gets a let less slack.    Only 11 coaches in the league (yes there are vacancies) have better win percentages than McCarthy.  

Again, I dont think he is great but I also dont think he is half as bad as people make him out to be.  The Rodgers stuff, and the sheep like nature of people's opinions have really done this guy in.    Somehow someone like Robert Saleh has a better reputation than McCarthy.    The real problem with Dallas is they are a constant hype machine, that isnt elite at the QB position.   McCarthy is decent but he cant overcome Dak's shortcomings.

So I kind of agree and kind of don't. I think Mike McCarthy is clearly a capable football coach. But he has been lucky IMO to work with two excellent personnel departments in Green Bay and Dallas. He did get good numbers out of Dak this year and good play for the most part. But at the same time Dak is a good Quarterback and he is surrounded by some very good talent. They have two future HOFers on the offensive line. They have Micah Parsons. They have Demarcus Lawrence. They have CeeDee Lamb. Their record against winning teams is really not acceptable. And that isn't just a this year issue, it has been an issue the entirety of McCarthy's reign. 

I think ultimately the reason for that he is the Head Coach version of Ken Dorsey. His mantra on both sides of the ball is keep it simple, let guys execute. When they have better players, they out execute their opponents. When they don't they lose. The Cowboys are the most vanilla team in the league on both sides of the ball to my eye. Though it should be said vs Green Bay it wasn't McCarthy's side of the ball that really failed them. The defense collapsed.

That said, I kind of feel like 2024 is a now or never year for Dallas in any event. So not sure starting over with a new coach for next year makes a ton of sense. If they fall flat in the post season again in 2024 then I think they fire McCarthy and blow up the roster. 

I definitely think they are like the Bills in one sense - they desperately need to try and find a more legitimate #2 receiver. Cooks without speed is useless, Gallup is just not consistent enough and for some reason the one guy who I think does flash - Jalen Tolbert - they don't seem to trust. Oh and on defense they either need Mazi Smith to turn things around or they need to bolster the DT and MLB spots. They are way too soft in the middle. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

were both Harbaugh and Bellicheck unavailable?  

Jones must be toxic to attracting a good coach.  

That playoff implosion.  That team was not ready to play.  

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So I kind of agree and kind of don't. I think Mike McCarthy is clearly a capable football coach. But he has been lucky IMO to work with two excellent personnel departments in Green Bay and Dallas. He did get good numbers out of Dak this year and good play for the most part. But at the same time Dak is a good Quarterback and he is surrounded by some very good talent. They have two future HOFers on the offensive line. They have Micah Parsons. They have Demarcus Lawrence. They have CeeDee Lamb. Their record against winning teams is really not acceptable. And that isn't just a this year issue, it has been an issue the entirety of McCarthy's reign. 

I think ultimately the reason for that he is the Head Coach version of Ken Dorsey. His mantra on both sides of the ball is keep it simple, let guys execute. When they have better players, they out execute their opponents. When they don't they lose. The Cowboys are the most vanilla team in the league on both sides of the ball to my eye. Though it should be said vs Green Bay it wasn't McCarthy's side of the ball that really failed them. The defense collapsed.

That said, I kind of feel like 2024 is a now or never year for Dallas in any event. So not sure starting over with a new coach for next year makes a ton of sense. If they fall flat in the post season again in 2024 then I think they fire McCarthy and blow up the roster. 

I definitely think they are like the Bills in one sense - they desperately need to try and find a more legitimate #2 receiver. Cooks without speed is useless, Gallup is just not consistent enough and for some reason the one guy who I think does flash - Jalen Tolbert - they don't seem to trust. Oh and on defense they either need Mazi Smith to turn things around or they need to bolster the DT and MLB spots. They are way too soft in the middle. 

do you feel they kind of missed a shot at Harbaugh this year?  I thought for sure they would be in on that.  ? 

23 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

do you feel they kind of missed a shot at Harbaugh this year?  I thought for sure they would be in on that.  ? 

Possibly. But I think he is going to be looking for Herbert or a place where he gets to handpick his own QB.

Hmm, surprising...

Maybe now Jones will fire the real culprit, the main reason the girls have not even been a contender since their last SB win--himself.

Been so obvious to me for years, and more so each year.

True of how he builds his team and just as relevant is the way he conducts himself in the media and to his players. He will never win a SB again, as long as he is the GM and also continues his undermining of his team with almost every public statement.

His post game talk this week to the team was just more of the same, stressing 'this is the Cowboys and we win". He is like an awful parent who just keeps digging his heels in, despite his obviously misguided actions and words, causing the poor kid to get worse and worse.

No, no you don't win, Jerry, almost never winning a meaningful game against a good team--and speeches like that are the root cause in my view...

The girls will  thankfully continue to be a non factor, a punch line, until he turns the reigns over to a non-family member. But that may not happen.

Edited by Mister Defense

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.