Why does this team always seem like it's running on fumes?

It's felt this way the past three seasons. They just always seem mentally exhausted. Tons of games where they have no spark, nothing goes smoothly, players constantly looking beleaguered and embattled...it's weird, right? I can't put my finger on it, but there has been something off mentally with them for a long time.

My gut says it's coaching, but the players supposedly like McDermott & Co.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 8
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 6

I thought the same thing until I took the long Xmas NY break to watch as many games as possible. Every team looked bad outside of Baltimore and even at that I felt there were signs the Ravens are not invincible and can be exploited by an equally physical team (IE: Browns, Chiefs or Bills). 

27 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

It's felt this way the past three seasons. They just always seem mentally exhausted. Tons of games where they have no spark, nothing goes smoothly, players constantly looking beleaguered and embattled...it's weird, right? I can't put my finger on it, but there has been something off mentally with them for a long time.

It is on coaching. I’m sure the players love McDermott, he seems like a genuine good guy, but is he championship caliber?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

For every Dallas game, there's three games like the Giants or Broncos or Chargers game. 

It's called the NFL. Most games are close.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Because you don't watch enough NFL games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Airseven said:

They’re not running on fumes. They’re just not as good as you think they should be.

They're absolutely awesome sometimes and then terrible many times. The variance is bigger than for any Bills team I can remember.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Governor said:

Brady killed our passing game for good so we go as far as our OL can take us. They will need to dominate from here on out.

Brady doesn’t throw the ball. Even Josh admitted the passes didn’t feel good spinning out of his hand against the Pats. He missed a few open TDs. He also played rather mediocre against the Chargers in another “gotta have it” game. All Brady can do is scheme up the offense and call the plays, it’s up to those on the field to capitalize on what’s available. And the offense has left plenty of points on the board. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Two seasons. Not 3. 2021 we were pretty dominant with a very small period of a funk. Other than that, we were great. The last 2, I can agree with you

The Bills have lost 1 game by more than 1 score over the last 3 years and 0 games over the last 2 calendar years. If you wanna question coaching and execution late in close games then I’m all ears, but to suggest this team lacks consistent energy or motivation could not be further from the truth. They show up ready to play as often as any other team in the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It felt like this in the late 80's/early 90's.  The price of being a great team that can't seem to get over the hump.

I felt a lot better in the late 80's/early 90's. Now I really am running on fumes.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Brady doesn’t throw the ball. Even Josh admitted the passes didn’t feel good spinning out of his hand against the Pats. He missed a few open TDs. He also played rather mediocre against the Chargers in another “gotta have it” game. All Brady can do is scheme up the offense and call the plays, it’s up to those on the field to capitalize on what’s available. And the offense has left plenty of points on the board. 

Dorsey didn’t throw the ball either.

7 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

I thought the same thing until I took the long Xmas NY break to watch as many games as possible. Every team looked bad outside of Baltimore and even at that I felt there were signs the Ravens are not invincible and can be exploited by an equally physical team (IE: Browns, Chiefs or Bills). 

agreed .. I have NFL+ and watch replays of most games at some point during the week.   Bills fans need to be very thankful for what they have... there is a massive amount of really bad football being played out there.  Turnovers, drops, missed plays, bad QB play, anything and everything.   Bills are so much better than 75% - 80% of the league.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I did not t hink they were running on fumes for 13 seconds, anyone disagree?  Last year felt that way, I don't feel that way this year  either....it is just a funny year in the AFC and they lost some close ones.

Yea the only year I felt the Bills were running on fumes was last year. I don't feel that this year at all. In fact the defense has been flying about the past few weeks like men possessed. 

The issue at the moment isn't fumes. It is execution on offense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

I don’t think it’s an attitude/health/mentality issue at this point.  As gunner mentioned, it’s just figuring out what to do with the offense.  While certainly not perfect, I have more confidence in the defense. 

5 hours ago, gobills404 said:

The Bills have lost 1 game by more than 1 score over the last 3 years and 0 games over the last 2 calendar years. If you wanna question coaching and execution late in close games then I’m all ears, but to suggest this team lacks consistent energy or motivation could not be further from the truth. They show up ready to play as often as any other team in the NFL.  

Umm that stat is so misleading! Last year the Bills are 1 and done if Miami has Tua or even the backup in the game. It was obvious the Bills had nothing left in the tank! 

8 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Yeah I think this is true.

Here are the 3 reasons I think it’s so:

1. Josh Allen is highly variable, and highly scrutinized. He has a penchant for turning the ball over. At the same time he makes plays. Almost every interview he does is about managing his risk taking, the constant pecking on his mental state. I just watched his interview with Michael Smith, and that’s the whole interview, ditching “low positive” and getting back to himself, but it ultimately circles back to turnovers. Allen said it - he’s viewed as a “turnover machine”. 

2. I think the Bills don’t have enough offensive firepower. 2020, 2021, 2022 and now this year - we’re short another dynamic WR. So in my mind this is why this team seems to lose its way seemingly out of nowhere (48 against the Dolphins, 20 against the Jaguars). We have a rocket armed QB that wants to throw outside the numbers to WRs and our best WR is a high level possession WR (Greg Cosell) and the rest of the options are just guys. 

3. Our defense is old - Safety - a lot of age on the defensive line - and because of that we’re always managing injuries down the stretch. It adds a layer of stress. Add into that this coaching staff over the years have had poor defensive showings in the Playoffs, playing 17 yards off every WR. This leads to a bunch of nail biting games. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yeah I think this is true.

Here are the 3 reasons I think it’s so:

1. Josh Allen is highly variable, and highly scrutinized. He has a penchant for turning the ball over. At the same time he makes plays. Almost every interview he does is about managing his risk taking, the constant pecking on his mental state. I just watched his interview with Michael Smith, and that’s the whole interview, ditching “low positive” and getting back to himself, but it ultimately circles back to turnovers. Allen said it - he’s viewed as a “turnover machine”. 

2. I think the Bills don’t have enough offensive firepower. 2020, 2021, 2022 and now this year - we’re short another dynamic WR. So in my mind this is why this team seems to lose its way seemingly out of nowhere (48 against the Dolphins, 20 against the Jaguars). We have a rocket armed QB that wants to throw outside the numbers to WRs and our best WR is a high level possession WR (Greg Cosell) and the rest of the options are just guys. 

3. Our defense is old - Safety - a lot of age on the defensive line - and because of that we’re always managing injuries down the stretch. It adds a layer of stress. Add into that this coaching staff over the years have had poor defensive showings in the Playoffs, playing 17 yards off every WR. This leads to a bunch of nail biting games. 

Good post.

Once again this season they gave themselves the tiniest margin for error on offense.  Almost no playmakers and Allen has to do everything.  He lateraled successfully to Shakir on Sunday in a high-risk play; he almost fumbled the game away trying to do it again later (can you imagine the narratives about Allen if the Patriots recovered and scored?).  Beane is a decent GM but his mismanagement of the offense borders on a war crime.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Did you see the D on Sunday? Swarming to the ball, fired up after every play. They were the definition of “high energy.” You’re confusing sloppiness - on offense, in the passing game- with low energy. Even in the run game they're shown that they can blow teams off the LoS, which doesn’t illustrate “low energy.”. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, MDH said:

Did you see the D on Sunday? Swarming to the ball, fired up after every play. They were the definition of “high energy.” You’re confusing sloppiness - on offense, in the passing game- with low energy. Even in the run game they're shown that they can blow teams off the LoS, which doesn’t illustrate “low energy.”. 

Welcome home, Hal.

I was afraid you'd been gobbled up by Europa.

Buffalo is one of the older teams in the league and they've played 72 games since the 2020 opener.  

What's funny is the people who get worked with the woe is us mentality that guys are getting hurt on defense.  Most of the ones who missed significant time (Miller, D. Jones, Hyde, Poyer, Milano) play positions where contact happens frequently.  And with so many games played, it should be expected given the snaps.  I think that's why McD insists on having so many high picks and vet UFA's on his DL.  

I'll never understand why McD insists on trying to keep a defense together, including that DL.  The Seahawks had an excellent defense 10-11 years ago and within 3-4 seasons that was no more.  

The most sustainable way to continue winning is building an elite offense in this NFL era.  That compared to retaining and acquiring parts to doing so across an entire defense is counter-productive for several reasons, notably, because it draws from what they could be doing on offense.  

Ironically, their 5 OL starters all have taken over 90% of the snaps this season.  They've been fortunate there and I hope it remains the case.  

Edited by BillsVet
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Because I think it's Bills fans feeling this way, and projecting our feelings/emotions onto the team.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Simon said:

Welcome home, Hal.

I was afraid you'd been gobbled up by Europa.

Yeah, I mostly browse these days. Not sure what inspired me to actually reply this time. I’m usually able to ignore bad takes. 

2 minutes ago, MDH said:

Yeah, I mostly browse these days. Not sure what inspired me to actually reply this time. I’m usually able to ignore bad takes. 

That one was so bizarre, I'm still questioning whether it was really a latent cry for help.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.