Will/Should Von be active vs. the Fish?

Will/Should Von be active vs. the Fish?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. WILL Von be active vs. the Fish?

2. 2. SHOULD Von be active vs. the Fish?

Both from an eyeball test (which, admittedly could be biased) & from a statistical standpoint, Jonathan has outperformed him (in noticeably less snaps, too).  Additionally, Miller doesn't play ST, so unless we suffer multiple injuries mid-week on the DL, then no, shouldn't be active.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t think he should be active but I want him to be active.  If it’s between Miller and Jonathan, I’ll take Miller.  Might not be the right move but I’m optimistic that he will make a few big plays this season. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

No x 2.

von is done. He has played his last down as a bill.

He tore his ACL late into the year last season, I think he may have a chance to be a productive player in 2024 given that players often take until two seasons after an ACL to return to form or at least somewhat closer to their form.

Also the cap ramifications of cutting him in 2024 don’t add up, his 2025 dead cap is much more manageable at just 15 million which can be spread across two years. 

I think the Bills know Von coming back this season at a good form was unlikely hence the Floyd signing. I hoped that maybe after the bye we could really know what he has but it’s been weeks since the bye and he looked a little better but still far off from where he needs to be.

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

Bottom line Kingsley Jonathan right now is a better player and better effort. Von needs to be inactive. 

Genuinely asking, how has Kingsley looked? I didn’t see him much but I wasn’t keying in on him either.

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

He tore his ACL late into the year last season, I think he may have a chance to be a productive player in 2024 given that players often take until two seasons after an ACL to return to form or at least somewhat closer to their form.

Also the cap ramifications of cutting him in 2024 don’t add up, his 2025 dead cap is much more manageable at just 15 million which can be spread across two years. 

I think the Bills know Von coming back this season at a good form was unlikely hence the Floyd signing. I hoped that maybe after the bye we could really know what he has but it’s been weeks since the bye and he looked a little better but still far off from where he needs to be.

Genuinely asking, how has Kingsley looked? I didn’t see him much but I wasn’t keying in on him either.

they save 6.7M with a post 6/1 cut.

In short:

Much as we would like him to return to his total form, the truth is he’s been INVISIBLE!

An absolute bust this year and incapable of making any impact at all.

He will be 35 next year! Like Rodgers, I give him little chance of an impactful return.

This contract is a disastrous albatross screwing the Bills! 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

He has been trash at setting the edge this year, he’s the last guy I want out there getting pushed past the play.   I hope he’s done for the season.

This. He's been a liability in run defense IMO. I could be accused of missing something of course but the Fins' rbs are too fast to have a poorly set edge, they will make us pay for leaving him on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think he should be active but I want him to be active.  If it’s between Miller and Jonathan, I’ll take Miller.  Might not be the right move but I’m optimistic that he will make a few big plays this season. 

Generally I’d agree. But last game Jonathan got in there and made a tackle and his name was announced at least once. More than we can say for Miller all year. One of them looks like they have a fire to their game. Is looking to make a play to prove it. The other looks like he just want to cash his $120m paycheck and get out without hurting himself even more. And if he’s in a team that happens to get him another ring in the process, great. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

When I saw him out there he looked pretty good. He made one tackle that looked like a tackle for loss or at least at the line of scrimmage…. He has a high motor, strong and looks hungry. I’d rather have him out there than Von even if it’s a limited basis. And I think he could be a Special teams guy as well.  

• Agree 1

The reality is every DE not named Floyd is unreliable.  I would role the dice the Miller can have an impact play or two.  Sometimes these veteran stars just seem to make something happen when it is needed most. 

Epenesa had zero impact plays last week. Neither did Rousseau.  Miller's presence alone may make McDaniel or Tua think twice when assigning blocking schemes.  Maybe that is enough to free someone else up.

Reality is, if we need our 4th DE to be a difference in this game then they have already lost. 

As always this game is solely determined on Josh being smart and accurate.  Bills should be able to put up 35+ on this defense.  Then you can put any body you want at DE to rush the passer the entire second half.  Hell you can even rush Dorian Williams from that spot if you want.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yea I don't think he will be active but call it the cautious, conservative coach in me I worry a bit if Jonathan is there in big spots. Was noticeable in the New England game that in the bigger spots late Shaq was out there even in pass rush situations. I am not sure that is ideal and suggests they don't fully trust Jonathan.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Not sure what you mean, he has a dead cap hit of 40.175M.

It is explained multiple places. They save $6.79m against the 2024 cap by cutting Von with a post 1 June designation. It would be $17m dead cap in 2024 and $15m dead cap in 2025. But it does create cap space next year.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

I'll zig while everyone zags and say he should dress. This is a guy who has a documented history of coming up huge in big games. He'll be looking to make an impact too, after what had to have been a humiliating benching.

I agree,  I think he knows his career could be done if he flops and the Bills lose this game. Who knows if McDermott benched him against Pats to save him for final game against Dolphins on a grass field

I saw him on the sidelines in Pats game and he did not look upset

• Thank you (+1) 1

I give McDermott credit for making him a healthy scratch against the Pats.  Not an easy decision given his stature and contract.  I don't expect him to dress against the Fins unless there's an injury.  The injury just stinks as he looked amazing before the injury.  We pry don't beat the Ravens or Chiefs without him.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, mrags said:

Generally I’d agree. But last game Jonathan got in there and made a tackle and his name was announced at least once. More than we can say for Miller all year. One of them looks like they have a fire to their game. Is looking to make a play to prove it. The other looks like he just want to cash his $120m paycheck and get out without hurting himself even more. And if he’s in a team that happens to get him another ring in the process, great. 

That’s not more than you can say for miller in the KC game. Miller made plays in crucial spots vs KC.  Big time plays that got the KC offense off the field.  

I know he’s been bad and I realize why others don’t want him out there.  I just think he’s capable of improving is more apt to make a big play.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That’s not more than you can say for miller in the KC game. Miller made plays in crucial spots vs KC.  Big time plays that got the KC offense off the field.  

I know he’s been bad and I realize why others don’t want him out there.  I just think he’s capable of improving is more apt to make a big play.  

I don’t recall Miller doing anything of worth in any game this season. Think I’ve heard his name twice all year. Pretty terrible if you ask me. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I don't think he will be active but call it the cautious, conservative coach in me I worry a bit if Jonathan is there in big spots. Was noticeable in the New England game that in the bigger spots late Shaq was out there even in pass rush situations. I am not sure that is ideal and suggests they don't fully trust Jonathan.

It is explained multiple places. They save $6.79m against the 2024 cap by cutting Von with a post 1 June designation. It would be $17m dead cap in 2024 and $15m dead cap in 2025. But it does create cap space next year.

And a post June 1 *trade* saves $17mil on 2024 cap... hmmm... any cap rich team dumb enough to take that on for a late round pick swap (we send the better pick)? Carolina?

We’re witnessing a replay of Mario Williams final season with the Bills. We loved the FA signing and he was great early on. But he completely fell off the radar to a point where he was manhandled by pedestrian Tackles one on one. A true liability every play he was on the field! In Millers’ case, he’s recovering from an injury he witlessly refused to acknowledge while being an absolute bore at a microphone. Compound this with the egregious charges he’s facing and his invisible presence on the field. It’s over. Sit him. June 1st it is.

Edit: the poll won’t accept my vote as I didn’t answer the 1st question; WILL he be active on Sunday? I dunno..🤷‍♂️

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.