Bills one of the more popular teams in all sports

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/business/buffalo-next-bills-50-year-old-stadium-ranks-unfavorably-in-amenities-popularity/article_f9767266-a0df-11ee-8227-1ff31e2fc082.html#:~:text=Bills one of the more popular teams in all sports&text=The Bills were the most,in the NFL for 2023.

The stadium’s unfavorable rankings have not diminished the popularity of the team that plays inside it. A pair of studies have shown the Bills are one of the most popular franchises in all professional sports.

The Bills are the third most popular sports franchise in America, with an average monthly search volume of 3,842,750, according to research from iGaming reviewer Lucky Gambler, which analyzed search volume data from Google Keyword Planner in this calendar year.

The Bills were the most searched team in New York, amassing 1.14 million of their average monthly searches in the state alone. The Bills are also the second most popular team in the NFL for 2023.

With an average monthly search volume of 7.2 million, the Cowboys are the most popular sports team in America this calendar year. In addition, the study also found that football is the most popular sport in the country, having amassed an average monthly search volume of 57.5 million – that’s more than 21 million higher than the next most popular sport, baseball.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 7

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What gives us fans a near-cardiac incident every game is pure entertainment to others. A reality show with no knowledge of the outcome and a very compelling protagonist. Whats not to like? 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The popularity of the team has taken off with Josh Allen, Bills Mafia brand and antics, and having a winning team for the last 5 years. Didn’t realize it was that high though. 

Every time I travel, I get shout outs when people see my hat or shirt with the logo. I was skiing in Colorado last week and saw multiple Bills #17 jerseys on the slopes. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Almost every non-Bills fan I know consider the Bills their 2nd favorite team. Most NFL fans want Josh Allen and the Bills to win a superbowl, I've noticed. Even many fans of AFC East rivals have good things to say about the Bills, although that's probably where most of our haters are too.

I would guess that the Bills are least popular with Dolphins and Chiefs fans.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 2

Right now they’re the lovable losers, a franchise with likeable players starving for a trophy. If they can start cashing in and winning some championships, the hatred will rise with their level of success.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Almost every non-Bills fan I know consider the Bills their 2nd favorite team. Most NFL fans want Josh Allen and the Bills to win a superbowl, I've noticed. Even many fans of AFC East rivals have good things to say about the Bills, although that's probably where most of our haters are too.

Even @FilthyBeast has nice things to say about the Bills occasionally!

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

With an average monthly search volume of 7.2 million, the Cowboys are the most popular sports team in America this calendar year.

Searching the "Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders" shouldn't be allowed to count in their search total. 

mmrfinal.jpg

Edited by sirebors
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Right now they’re the lovable losers, a franchise with likeable players starving for a trophy. If they can start cashing in and winning some championships, the hatred will rise with their level of success.

This is so true. I remember telling my kids after the Cubs finally broke their WS drought they were no longer the lovable Cubbies - they became just another team that idgaf about.

Its the Josh Allen amazingly awesome circus of insanity.  Any given game could be the greatest game in the history of any QB all the way to the opposite end of the spectrum in my opinion.  Just cant stop watching to see what happens next...me included.

34 minutes ago, Jukester said:

The popularity of the team has taken off with Josh Allen, Bills Mafia brand and antics, and having a winning team for the last 5 years. Didn’t realize it was that high though. 

Every time I travel, I get shout outs when people see my hat or shirt with the logo. I was skiing in Colorado last week and saw multiple Bills #17 jerseys on the slopes. 

Same here. I've gotten shoutouts all over the country. And beyond. In Iceland last year and In Prague, Munich this past summer. The Iceland people were american travelers, but these were Czechs and Germans in Europe.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, MJS said:

That’s been my experience when telling people I’m a Bills fan too.  Usually support and something like “if my team doesn’t win, I’m pulling for you guys” or “Josh is the most exciting player in the game”.  And the fact that we haven’t won yet, I think folks would generally be happy for us as a fanbase, like when LeBron finally won one for the Cavs or Phil Mickelson finally won a major.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, sirebors said:

Searching the "Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders" shouldn't be allowed to count in their search total. 

I'd say something about the Jills but,

nobody has ever searched for them! 

The Bills have always had a ton of closet fans from the Super Bowl days….but with Allen being one the leagues legit superstars he’s taken their popularity to a whole new level.

The Bills have a very Atlanta Braves feel to them where you always hear about the popularity of the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers but the Braves fanbase is nationwide as well much like the Bills.

Just listen sometime to WGR where many of their callers are from different parts of the country. 

I was in Vietnam/Cambodia the year we broke the drought. Even there and pre-Josh  it only reinforced that Bills fans are literally everywhere - we grow like mold lol. It blew my mind at the time. And yes, I got up at 4am to watch the Tyrod Taylor Bills lose 10-3 to Jacksonville before heading off to Angkor Wat.

Now I live in Philly, and Eagles fans are always coming up to me saying Go Bills or asking about the team. I do think there’s something to the idea that hardened diehard fans of other teams even in Philly often have a soft spot for us, the Mr. Magoo of NFL franchises lol.

Edited by Kincaid Kool-Aid
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Give me allllll of the hate. Bill Belichick, Jerry Jones, Tom Brady levels of hate.

Animated GIF

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I guess I see more Bills haters among Bills fans than anywhere else, haha.

The things that are capable of making you the angriest are the things you love the most.

10 hours ago, Jukester said:

Well said!

A QB and winning cures all. 

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

In my travels to the US… I have noted that the Bills are very popular… but call me a little dubious that they are the “third most popular sports franchise “…

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

In my travels to the US… I have noted that the Bills are very popular… but call me a little dubious that they are the “third most popular sports franchise “…

They might be Josh Allen fans. Our guy is on many commercials now and he's got a winning smile and a hot movie star girlfriend.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, sirebors said:

I’ve come across them on ‘other’ searches as well. Juss sayin’..😲

• Haha (+1) 1

It's also the drama from the past few years.

13 seconds. Damar Hamlin. Snowstorm. etc. 

Hamlin was a global news story. So many people who have no interest in sports learned about the Bills. 

12 hours ago, Jukester said:

Eh, the Bills have been really popular for a while. They are the lovable “losers” with crazy fans. We are the non threatening team and like the choice team if a fanbases team is not in the playoffs. Allen helps but this was treading this way for awhile. Now, people are going to hate us if we win a SB though. But right now, we are “harmless” idiots. 

it’s also funny watching some fans still have this persecution complex about the Bills and the media. I don’t if another fanbase gets covered as positively as we do right now. 

8 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

So it is a big market?

Any nfl team is a big market team. But if you add in Rochester and southern Ontario, plus fans across the country (and world), it’s a decent sized fanbase. 

We’re like the Colts during the Patriots years. I liked Manning, and I wanted them to get over the hump. I’d actively rooted for them. 

I feel like a lot of people dislike the Mahomes/Chiefs and we’re the good guys to their bad guys. 

If we won, the intrigue would die some, but I think most people would be genuinely psyched to see it play out. 

2 hours ago, Gunvald's Husse said:

All sports?

The rest of the world does exist, you know.

Well "In America" is in the criteria here.

And there are like 7 people in the states who care about soccer

5 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Well "In America" is in the criteria here.

And there are like 7 people in the states who care about soccer

No one cares about MLS, that's for sure. It's a 4th-tier bush league. People would rather watch EPL.

Bills games in Western, NY have an absolutely incredible market share - this is basically the percentage of households that have the game turned on.   I believe they averaged 77% for 2022, which is pretty insane.

Of course, Buffalo is one of the smallest markets in the NFL.  We’re not talking huge numbers but that is a massive number locally.  And when the Bills plays teams with popular fan bases from larger markets the ratings are huge 

Small market big drama.  Feel like everyone on the board knew we were gonna get the fins for the division in week 18 after they blew against the Titans.  That lone is a good story but to mix it with "or else miss the playoffs" is just entertainment gold that isnt even available to other team sports.  the variance with the outcomes of this game is absolutely bonkers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.