DaQuan Jones is BACK - will play vs the Patriots

BillsFan619

16 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

My expectations are low based on what I'm seeing from Von :)

I know different players different injury different age.

Great news!

Yeah, I'd say he'll be on a pitch count, maybe coming in on 1st/2nd down for run defense. Or 3rd and long to anchor the middle. But it will be great to see he and Joseph both stuffed in the middle. 

Legs should be in good shape, but with a pec injury, he probably lost some upper body mass. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

This is great news! It will be a little bit to get his extention strength back, but a much better recovery than any leg injuries.  I expect him to play decent in a limited role in the next two weeks and unleash him for the playoffs.  The good news is the depth has improved since we started the season. 

• Like (+1) 4

This is grrreat news.

If Jones gets back up to speed, for the most part, in the next few weeks it will likely mean a great deal for this defense against miami and in the playoffs.

The way that Oliver and the rest of the defense is playing now, the addition of Jones means that they will likely be even more consistent and more dominant.

It is like the Bills just got the perfect defensive player in free agency but one that knows their system, players and plays by heart.

Been a huge DQ fan since Beane made the move.

Was desperate to see the Bills do something to plug the middle and get some push on the pocket and Star was not the same player at all that he was in Carolina and did little to reward the trust they extended him in his contract.

DQ more than delivered. They need to monitor his reps, but he is a solid vet that will get it done. Just needs to work on the game stamina and work into owning more reps.

Poona did a pretty decent job manning Phillips gaps last week and good to see him get his chance to help the squad.

This defense operates best when you have those solid 1-tech and 3-techs that can rotate and spell each other and feed off of Oliver.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

DQ is BACK!

Go Bills!

Make no mistake about it…IF he can get close to where he was playing at in Week 3, this move is going to be big.

Between Tre, Jones and Milano, I always felt that not having DaQuan was the biggest loss to the defense.   Even worse bigger than Milano.  

This is going to help the defense for sure 

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

My expectations are low based on what I'm seeing from Von :)

I know different players different injury different age.

Great news!

Different players, different age, different injury.

So you’re saying this is a bad comparison?

• Agree 1

Love the guy and love his game.

But this is not some panacea to cure all ills.

He's going to be less powerful and it's likely that it will be harder for him to hold the POA, to push the pocket, to hold guys off and move down the line and he's going to be available less as well.

The only reason he's playing is because he's probably just hitting the point where he can now be equally effective as Poona Ford and that is where the expectations should lie, imo.

That should slowly improve as the weeks pass but for right now, I can't expect too much out of him.

I just hope people don't turn on him like they have with other injured players that didn't meet fan's ill-informed unrealistic expectations.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

I hope we see Jones and Joseph on the field at the same time — I don’t see how anyone could run between the tackles with those two there. But of course, we also don’t want to limit Ed Oliver’s PT, so J and J probably won’t have a lot of time together. But still, this is a nice problem to have. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Daquan and Joseph

Add to them with dion O for the snowplow!  I’ve always wondered why you wouldn’t use the players this way. Serious question… a snow plow package on O that uses the big boyz. 

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Simon said:

He's going to be less powerful and it's likely that it will be harder for him to hold the POA, to push the pocket, to hold guys off and move down the line and he's going to be available less as well.

The only reason he's playing is because he's probably just hitting the point where he can now be equally effective as Poona Ford and that is where the expectations should lie, imo.

That should slowly improve as the weeks pass but for right now, I can't expect too much out of him.

I just hope people don't turn on him like they have with other injured players that didn't meet fan's ill-informed unrealistic expectations.

That makes sense. But I think the main difference between his injury and Von and Tre's, other than missing the whole year, is mental. 

There's something psychological about overcoming an ACL. It's in the back of your mind with every step whether or not your knees going to hold up. I think that's a crucial reason why it took Tre so long, and is taking Von so long to get back to moving explosively. 

DaQuan has probably been doing lower body work to keep his strength up for sometime now. And hopefully won't suffer the same loss of explosion that we saw from Tre last year and Von this season either from a condition or mental standpoint. 

It's definitely unrealistic to expect him to be right back to the top of his game. But he's early reps will tell the story of just how far he has to go. Fingers crossed!

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Simon said:

So, Super Bowl? 

33 minutes ago, Simon said:

True, and that is why it’s good he’s coming back now, to get some. Games under his belt and hopefully get closer back to where he was as we start rolling in the playoffs.  We also don’t need him to be who he was with Linval here now.  If he can bring value as a rotational piece it’s going to be a big gain for us.  If he gets back to close to where he was by 2nd round of playoffs or AFCCG, then even better.  

If we do make the SB, odds are it’s gonna be to face the Niners, and having him back with 5 games under his belt will be huge for that game.  

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Simon said:

I agree with you, but lets just enjoy the good news!!

no-fun-youre-no-fun.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.