Your Top 5 MVP vote if you were a voter

Wizard

I normally don't get into discussions on who should be the league's MVP, but it has caught my attention this year.

There are about 10 guys I have heard on and off about on sports radio or on the Internet.

There have been a lot of good seasons by players, but there is not any record-setting, historically dominate team, or fantastic season. 

Here's my top 5. Please know this is not who I think will win or who I prefer. This is how I would vote.

Who's your top 5 and why?

1. McCaffrey-easily 2000+all purpose yards, 21TDs already, and the best player on best team in NFC. Best RB/dual threat that is a non QB.

2. Hill- Most unguardable WR currently. Had he not missed two games, he might have hit 2K, which has never been done. Only Rice, Moss, and Calvin Johnson have had multiple receiving seasons (imo) that account for so much offense. He is both overrated (not a QB and Miami has a lot of options), and he is underrated because he opens things up. Hate the Fish but can't hate Hill's talent.

3. Allen- The most gifted QB in the game. Had the Bills had the best record in AFC, I think he would win it. 13 rushing TD's. Other than against Dallas, he is the reason for every win. Good but not great #'s.

4. Lamar Jackson-Best team in AFC. Lacks counting stats. Offense has improved, but he carries the offense similiar to Allen. Has a strong defense, but 19 passing TDs won't do it.

5. Prescott- He had a chance, but after Buffalo and Miami, he is not consistent against solid teams. He has the numbers and under 10 ints. He plays for Dallas.

Honorable Mentions (No order)

Purdy, Lamb, AJ Brown, Mahomes

Edited by Wizard
Grammar
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 1

Dak has zero chance now. Hill has not much of a chance since he missed games, in my opinion. Purdy probably doesn't now that he had a horrible game where he threw 4 INT's.

McCaffrey, Jackson, and Allen are the ones with a shot. But the narrative around Allen has been too negative all year, so I don't think he has much of a shot either unless he plays out of his mind the last couple of weeks.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

McCaffrey, Hill, and Allen are the only deserving.

I have watched a decent number of Ravens games this year. Recency bias aside, Lamar is as integral to their success as any player in the league is to their team. And this season, to date, has been a resounding success for Baltimore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To me, it's CMC and everyone else is a distant second.  

Lamar's stats to me aren't anything to get excited about.  He's average 222 passing yards per game and I'm sorry, he still can't hit a crossing route to save his life.  He's so dynamic with his feet that he creates plays, but when that gets taken away from him, he becomes below average.

Dak and Purdy are having too many late season showings to count against him

Tyreek would need to break 2k receiving to earn the vote.

The only way I see Josh getting votes is if we lock up the 2 seed and he plays lights out the next two games.  This isn't to say that I don't think he's deserving, but the media is so fixated on his turnovers that I don't think the voters will be able to escape that narrative.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

I have watched a decent number of Ravens games this year. Recency bias aside, Lamar is as integral to their success as any player in the league is to their team. And this season, to date, has been a resounding success for Baltimore.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this then.  Whenever I've watched Lamar this season, most of his throws are to college open guys.  And by that I mean, receivers standing still, comeback routes, or going deep.  With his arm strength, he's able to make some hard throws and use different arm angles.  But I don't see the anticipation throws or hitting guys in stride.  It was apparent to me in the 49ers game last night.  Any receive trying to run horizontally was getting hit behind them or had to adjust to the throw, killing any YAC yards.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The defense is their MVP. Jackson is obviously their most important player but he’s not having an MVP type season.

44 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this then.  Whenever I've watched Lamar this season, most of his throws are to college open guys.  And by that I mean, receivers standing still, comeback routes, or going deep.  With his arm strength, he's able to make some hard throws and use different arm angles.  But I don't see the anticipation throws or hitting guys in stride.  It was apparent to me in the 49ers game last night.  Any receive trying to run horizontally was getting hit behind them or had to adjust to the throw, killing any YAC yards.  

100% agree with this. I've never been impressed with Lamar. He can't throw in rhythm and eventually that will get you in trouble. 

Edited by Mikie2times

16 minutes ago, Virgil said:

To me, it's CMC and everyone else is a distant second.  

Lamar's stats to me aren't anything to get excited about.  He's average 222 passing yards per game and I'm sorry, he still can't hit a crossing route to save his life.  He's so dynamic with his feet that he creates plays, but when that gets taken away from him, he becomes below average.

Dak and Purdy are having too many late season showings to count against him

Tyreek would need to break 2k receiving to earn the vote.

The only way I see Josh getting votes is if we lock up the 2 seed and he plays lights out the next two games.  This isn't to say that I don't think he's deserving, but the media is so fixated on his turnovers that I don't think the voters will be able to escape that narrative.  

I agree. It would take something crazy from Allen or one of the others to for McCaffrey to lose it, but maybe the QB bias comes into play?

24 minutes ago, MJS said:

Dak has zero chance now. Hill has not much of a chance since he missed games, in my opinion. Purdy probably doesn't now that he had a horrible game where he threw 4 INT's.

McCaffrey, Jackson, and Allen are the ones with a shot. But the narrative around Allen has been too negative all year, so I don't think he has much of a shot either unless he plays out of his mind the last couple of weeks.

Yeah, apparently every time Josh throws 1 int it counts as 2.

• Haha (+1) 1

Trent Williams- other than shanahan- he’s the most important piece to that team.  Take him away and they are close to .500 imo 

Tyreek Hill-  he’s the most dynamic playmaker of this generation. Maybe ever.  

CMC- the 2nd best playmaker in the game running behind a generational LT who I think is the best player (non QB) in the league.

Josh- he’d be mvp and the Bills would be the 1 seed if not for his bad turnovers. 

Lamar-  the best player on what is now the best team in the league.  His stats don’t compare to Josh’s, so he’s behind him.  

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I don't give a fig about MVP... Lamar could win five MVPs and if he never won the Super Bowl then it wouldn't matter... it's just award padding to be honest.

This is pretty much where I am at.  I've already made my point to other in person but MVP isn't really the Most Valuable Player when it comes time to vote.

It's "player that has the best stats in the league on a #1 or #2 seed team" when it comes to the voters.  This is why the MVP is flawed and they should have different awards for each position if they want to hand out individual accolades like this. 

Same as how they have OPOY and DPOY.  They might give it to a player on a team that was awful all year but they at least measure the stats of the player vs other players in that same position and not the record of the team that they are on (granted, I doubt there are many OPOY/DPOY that are on non playoff teams).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The top 4 candidates should be 

CmC

Lamar 

Josh Allen 

Tyreke Hill 

The 5th spot gets tricky, some of the other top QB’s would be Dak, Tua, Purdy and an honorable mention to Geoff. As far as skill position players Lamb from Dallas would be who I would also put in the mix.

I think I would put Dak in as the 5th spot. He has the Cowboys in a solid spot and unlike Tua and Purdy he doesn’t have a legit top 4 MVP candidate as an offensive weapon.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Virgil said:

No argument. The award is not “best QB”, it’s most valuable. Lamar’s very good at throwing, but limited in anticipation. However, he’s elite at creating, escaping and running and he deserves mention as a MVP candidate. My list was CMC at the top. The Bills’ record, and Allen’s stumbles this season, put Baltimore’s MVP above Allen as of today.

1. McCaffrey - It's a QB award so I don't think he'll win it but he's having an amazing season.

2. Lamar Jackson - QB leads the AFC team with the best record

3. Josh Allen - If the Bills win the AFC ... Maybe

4. Tua - It's a QB award so the guy who throws it to Reek

5. Reek Hill

Purdy and Prescott hurt their chances this past weekend.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This is pretty much where I am at.  I've already made my point to other in person but MVP isn't really the Most Valuable Player when it comes time to vote.

It's "player that has the best stats in the league on a #1 or #2 seed team" when it comes to the voters.  This is why the MVP is flawed and they should have different awards for each position if they want to hand out individual accolades like this. 

Same as how they have OPOY and DPOY.  They might give it to a player on a team that was awful all year but they at least measure the stats of the player vs other players in that same position and not the record of the team that they are on (granted, I doubt there are many OPOY/DPOY that are on non playoff teams).

I just don't see the value in the "former MVP" title... either you win a Super Bowl and are MVP, or you just get a nice MVP award for padding. I would think that any player would gladly never win a single MVP and win a Super Bowl, because if you think about it in a team sport like the NFL you succeed if your team succeeds and not just by putting up gaudy numbers.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

That’s a huge product of Lamar and how terrifying he is running the ball. Flowers is  good but they are scrub central after him with Edwards out. 

10 minutes ago, McBean said:

I know who isn’t worthy.

Purdy, Jackson, and Dak.

I’d be fine with CMC, Hill, or Josh.

Your Lamar take is awful. 

this year is tough. If Pitt had a better record, I’d put Watt up there.  

But I’d go

CMC/ Lamar

whoever finishes with division Allen/ Tua

Dak because of stats though they are frauds

Watt

csnt vote for hill because he’s a trash person but he might be the most deserving with CMC. Lamar is so under appreciated on this board but this should be a non qb year. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Yeah, this year is a classic example of the "MVP philosophy" question -- most important to his team's success, or most productive player overall? If it's the former, I think it's Lamar. And I hate to say that because I think he's not even close by the second metric, which would have to be 1) CMC, 2) Josh, and 3) Tyreek. 

Either way, the final two weeks will be hugely impactful to the outcome.

All great thoughts. The never-ending debate of what exactly is the criteria for being considered the MVP is just more interesting too me this year.

It seems most of us can point to about the same ten (10) guys.

I kind of wish there was an "operational definition" for MVP. I know basketball has generally followed the same unwritten definition as stated by others in this thread.

The best QB on a #1 or #2 seeded team or historically great/record-breaking year for a RB/WR seems to be who is voted as MVP.

Like others have said, media narrative coupled with Allen's up and down performances make it hard for him to win it.

If he had 6-8 TD's, 2 wins, won the AFC East, and zero turnovers over the next two games and McCaffrey, Jackson, and had subpar totals the next two weeks, then I could see it.

Go Bills!

Let's thrash the Patriots!

1) Tyreek Hill - He's been the best overall player in the league this year IMO.

2) TJ Watt - He is the primary reason the Steelers have won any games this year.

3) Josh Allen - Carrying a talent deficient offense. He has more total TDs than 25 TEAMS, which is insane.

4) Myles Garrett - The Browns would not have a playoff spot right now if not for Garrett's play this year IMO. But like with Watt defensive players get overlooked.

5) Deebo Samuel - CMC is the common selection but #1 WR is a lot more important than RB. He is by far the best YAC player in the league. The 49ers lost all 3 games that he missed which makes the case for him.

Honorable mention: Matt Stafford - He has made a ton of ridiculous throws this year to win them games they had no business winning. The Rams somehow having a playoff spot right now despite very little talent across the team is an underrated story, and Stafford is the primary reason for it.

Edited by HappyDays

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.