Burned out?

damj

Put simply:

The Buffalo Bills have been an emotionally exhausting team to follow ever since 13 seconds.

2020 and 2021 were FUN! In those seasons, we SAW how good this team could be. It felt like they were just getting started at what could be a potential dynasty or, at the very least, a championship winning football team.

2022 and 2023 were stressful. We saw the team make the easy things look difficult week after week. We saw them, for whatever reason, struggle to move the ball for long stretches, and struggle to live up to their sky high potential.

There's this feeling that the Bills are smack dab in the middle of a window of championship contention, and every year they don't at least get to the AFC Championship game feels like a waste. It very much feels like a "Super Bowl or bust" team the past couple seasons. Maybe it's the weight of Bills history, maybe it's the way the roster and its contracts are structured, maybe its irritation at seeing all the fawning over Mahomes being a generational talent when we know we have one of our own...whatever it is, it has just been a frustrating couple of seasons of feeling like our team is falling short of expectations.

There have probably only been a small handful of games this year that were actually FUN to watch because the team was playing as well as we know they can. In all the rest, I've been frustrated because they're playing below their potential.

I don't know if the solution is solely Joe Brady or if, as I have espoused on here in recent weeks, McDermott needs to go, too. I certainly lean toward the latter. All I know is, whatever it takes: MAKE BUFFALO BILLS FOOTBALL FUN AGAIN!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Lagoon Blues said:

Some people are a little more outgoing with emotions.  Some like to keep it bottled up.  Empathy, my friend.

We are all pissed about the team but the way some people talk here is just depressing. If you feel burnt out with the team then don't watch. It's as simple as that. We don't need to hear about it

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Put simply:

The Buffalo Bills have been an emotionally exhausting team to follow ever since 13 seconds.

2020 and 2021 were FUN! In those seasons, we SAW how good this team could be. It felt like they were just getting started at what could be a potential dynasty or, at the very least, a championship winning football team.

2022 and 2023 were stressful. We saw the team make the easy things look difficult week after week. We saw them, for whatever reason, struggle to move the ball for long stretches, and struggle to live up to their sky high potential.

There's this feeling that the Bills are smack dab in the middle of a window of championship contention, and every year they don't at least get to the AFC Championship game feels like a waste. It very much feels like a "Super Bowl or bust" team the past couple seasons. Maybe it's the weight of Bills history, maybe it's the way the roster and its contracts are structured, maybe its irritation at seeing all the fawning over Mahomes being a generational talent when we know we have one of our own...whatever it is, it has just been a frustrating couple of seasons of feeling like our team is falling short of expectations.

There have probably only been a small handful of games this year that were actually FUN to watch because the team was playing as well as we know they can. In all the rest, I've been frustrated because they're playing below their potential.

I don't know if the solution is solely Joe Brady or if, as I have espoused on here in recent weeks, McDermott needs to go, too. I certainly lean toward the latter. All I know is, whatever it takes: MAKE BUFFALO BILLS FOOTBALL FUN AGAIN!!!

2021 wasn't fun until the playoffs.   They labored and underachieved that season and even though they won out after the Tampa game they didn't even play well against teams like Carolina and Atlanta at home in the process.    We couldn't give away tickets to that Patriots wild card game but that game basically changed the entire outlook on the season for most fans.   A top 5 all-time feel good Bills win, IMO.

I am not inclined to pile on McDermott for everything like many here but I think his coaching style has lead to a mid-season malaise year after year and that consistent inconsistency combined with the playoff underachieving has gradually taken some of the joy out of it for fans.    As Chuck Pagano said recently you couldn't pull a needle out of McDermott's azz with a tractor and chain during games and that anxiety transfers to the players and the fans as well, IMO.   They are a tense watch.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

my first reaction is this thread clearly resonates with a lot of people.

And as usual my chat amigo @Logic has hit the nail on its proverbial head with his commentary.

as an anecdotal story I'm out walking my dog in a Bills shirt the other day and a guy on a bike sees me and says 'Hey you from Buffalo"  I said yes, He says me too. . I said "so are you a Bills fan?"  He said yes. I said "Yeah it's been a  bit hard to watch this season" 

His reply was "yeah I don't follow them as closely as I used to" 

It got me to thinking Hmm Unplug from my Bills fandom? As invested as I am?  Hmmmmmmmmm Meh that's a tough one.I'm all about healthy choices in my life maybe I do Need to unplug at times. Burnout is real .

Here here to Making Bills football FUN Again.

For me it is officiating I'm really getting burned out on.  BAD officiating!

Edited by muppy

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If it stops being fun, stop doing it. If you are so emotionally dependent on sports results that it stops it being fun you need to take a break.

Yep,  gotta' remember it's all entertainment.

They are definitely a less fun team to watch than they SHOULD be though.   

• Like (+1) 1

To me, Thanksgiving 2021 was the day. Tre blew out his knee.

He was the super fun kid out there always keeping things upbeat and positive.

Even Lil' Dirty added to the fun-loving bunch back then.

And the rest of the team seemed young and fresh and ready to take on the world.

Then 13 seconds.

Then all the terribleness that happened last year culminating in that playoff loss at home was just devastating.

Then London happened this year. Just terrible. Milano and Jones. No way.

Now things are WAY more serious out there. We're not throwing parties and smiling and hoping for wins,

we're p*ssed off at the BEGINNING of games and NEEDING wins... and ready to pounce on every ref call, McD decision, and bad plays by our guys.

Losing to the Jets, NE, and Denver in particular was extremely disheartening.

Makes you question why you're putting your whole heart and soul into this.

But, giving up is the easy thing to do.

We've been through WAY worse times.

The Bills are still the most exciting team to watch in all of football (I think).

Yes, it's a rollercoaster ride, but at least you feel something... both the highs and lows.

Bills fans don't give up. I'm not giving up.

I'm going into these games with a smile on my face, a positive attitude and am just going to enjoy the ride.

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, muppy said:

my first reaction is this thread clearly resonates with a lot of people.

And as usual my chat amigo @Logic has hit the nail on its proverbial head with his commentary.

as an anecdotal story I'm out walking my dog in a Bills shirt the other day and a guy on a bike sees me and says 'Hey you from Buffalo"  I said yes, He says me too. . I said "so are you a Bills fan?"  He said yes. I said "Yeah it's been a  bit hard to watch this season" 

His reply was "yeah I don't follow them as closely as I used to" 

It got me to thinking Hmm Unplug from my Bills fandom? As invested as I am?  Hmmmmmmmmm Meh that's a tough one.I'm all about healthy choices in my life maybe I do Need to unplug at times. Burnout is real .

Here here to Making Bills football FUN Again.

The next logical step is to watch the league more like an analyst would and just break down the results of the games, and have opinions on how other teams are building their teams. 

I certainly look forward to, and watch, other games around the league. Follow the statistics closely, have a plan in my head for what other teams should do to improve. 

I have tuned out the National Media. I watch 0% of any pregame and have for years. There are plenty of avenues now to watch All-22 break downs and learn more about the game. 

With all that said, being born in WNY, it's hard for me to completely disconnect my emotional attachment to the Bills. In the end I don't feel happy for other teams that win. I don't want to see Cleveland become a champion before the Bills, I can't stand Cincinnati and their loudmouth fanbase, no way am I rooting for Herbert or Lawrence or Stroud. 

But the Bills have had decades to build a winner, the first time around they fired Bill Polian. This time around their QB doesn't give everything he's got in the offseason to improve, and they won't get enough offensive firepower in an offensive league to get them over the top. 

So it's an in between period of actively assessing and artificially modulating how much I care. 

Intrinsically I enjoy football, the numbers, the strategy, the feeling like it's the biggest hobby in America, it's the common language with many people, but the Bills for me do take the fun out of the game to some degree. The media and their endless who is the MVP debates, and best QB right now points get exhausting and that also takes away from my enjoyment. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'll just paraphrase Thomas Paine.

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer "fan" and the sunshine "mafia" will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their "team"; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.

Buck up Bills fans!

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

2021 wasn't fun until the playoffs.   They labored and underachieved that season and even though they won out after the Tampa game they didn't even play well against teams like Carolina and Atlanta at home in the process.    We couldn't give away tickets to that Patriots wild card game but that game basically changed the entire outlook on the season for most fans.   A top 5 all-time feel good Bills win, IMO.

Yeah, you're right.

My nostalgic recollection paints 2021 as more enjoyable than it actually was. As you say, catching fire in the playoffs colored things differently.

So in that case, it's been THREE straight years of stressful, anxious Bills football. No wonder everyone's exhausted.

Do you have a link for that Chuck Pagano quote, btw? It's a great one, and I hadn't heard it. If that's a real quote....yikes.

• Haha (+1) 1

People can say “don’t let your team affect your emotions” but that’s fandom .. for most, it does.

When it really hit me, just how much this team is burning me out mentally, was our last game.   And because of the fact that for many of us, sports are an escape..

That Bills/Eagles game was the first game my dad and I watched since he was diagnosed with cancer.   It’s very treatable, slow moving and hopefully nothing to worry about .. but it will require surgery and potentially some treatments with after effects he’ll have to deal with for some time.  

I wanted so badly for the Bills to get that win so we could celebrate, high five and he could have a fun moment to take his mind off things. 

Instead, we found a way to lose …. (Again).  And for the first time, he actually was more annoyed about a game than I was.  I’m usually the angry “I don’t want to talk about it” fan for a few hours.   I just laughed and said “of course …” but with everything going on in his life, he became the fan I usually am.  

I know he’s not alone.  A lot of people are struggling these days, whether mentally, sick, financially .. whatever the reason … and the Bills have the best fanbase in the league because we pour so much of ourselves into the team.  

And I know we don’t fairly compare ourselves to other teams across the league sometimes .. but no other team loses the way we do, consistently … I follow the league enough to know that.  Hopefully that changes, because continuously losing games in heartbreaking fashion is going to wear on a person and, eventually, the entire fanbase.   

There’s bad football and there’s a good teams who find ways to lose.  The latter is much tougher to deal with .. especially

when it’s been occurring for years. 

I’ve learned to be more apathetic and just focus on other stuff this year.  But the season is still frustrating.  For many - they just want one moment to feel happy or be distracted.   Let’s hope Buffalo finally starts doing that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, corta765 said:

But I also don't take football as seriously anymore, I enjoy it and I love the Bills even if sometimes they wreck Sunday lol but its a game and entertainment.

As I have gotten older, this has become my same feeling more and more every year. I also do enjoy watching the Bills, but like others have said, my expectations are really low now, so when they lose or look like crap, it doesn't really affect me. There are many, many more things in this life to worry about. For me personally, my & my wife's health are my #1 concern now.

Bottom line is that the only guarantees in this life are death and taxes, so you better live every day to the fullest! As somebody once said, "Don't sweat the small stuff."

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

You know what really irks me?  The Bills have tried so hard to get the 1 seed the last few years and just fell short.  This year the Bills could have easily done this had they just beat the teams they were supposed to beat.  Now Miami could easily walk away with the 1 seed.  I fuggin hate Miami fans with a passion.  I like Tua and I like their coach.  The rest of the team and their fans can take a piss though. 

This really irks me and I think the only way I am going to feel better is either we steal the division back which is unlikely now or we are the team that faces Miami in their first game and we knock the piss out of them.  

Probably a lot of people don't care about this but man it just really pisses me off for some reason.

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

People can say “don’t let your team affect your emotions” but that’s fandom .. for most, it does.

When it really hit me, just how much this team is burning me out mentally, was our last game.   And because of the fact that for many of us, sports are an escape..

That Bills/Eagles game was the first game my dad and I watched since he was diagnosed with cancer.   It’s very treatable, slow moving and hopefully nothing to worry about .. but it will require surgery and potentially some treatments with after effects he’ll have to deal with for some time.  

I wanted so badly for the Bills to get that win so we could celebrate, high five and he could have a fun moment to take his mind off things. 

Instead, we found a way to lose …. (Again).  And for the first time, he actually was more annoyed about a game than I was.  I’m usually the angry “I don’t want to talk about it” fan for a few hours.   I just laughed and said “of course …” but with everything going on in his life, he became the fan I usually am.  

I know he’s not alone.  A lot of people are struggling these days, whether mentally, sick, financially .. whatever the reason … and the Bills have the best fanbase in the league because we pour so much of ourselves into the team.  

And I know we don’t fairly compare ourselves to other teams across the league sometimes .. but no other team loses the way we do, consistently … I follow the league enough to know that.  Hopefully that changes, because continuously losing games in heartbreaking fashion is going to wear on a person and, eventually, the entire fanbase.   

There’s bad football and there’s a good teams who find ways to lose.  The latter is much tougher to deal with .. especially

when it’s been occurring for years. 

I’ve learned to be more apathetic and just focus on other stuff this year.  But the season is still frustrating.  For many - they just want one moment to feel happy or be distracted.   Let’s hope Buffalo finally starts doing that. 

Prayers for your dad bud.  I hope all goes ok.  I hit 50 this year and recently took the colonguard test and it came back positive.  I gotta wait until April to get an actual colonoscopy.  I am trying not to let it worry me but its rough.  Anyhow, I really hope your dad beats it.  Cancer sucks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Why do people get so damn depressed about everything? Yeah, they aren't playing well. It happens but posts like this are just ridiculous 

Actually they aren't ridiculous. People are just in different stages of their life and their feelings about many things that go by, including the Buffalo Bills, change from time to time. I'm feeling somewhat the same as the OP.  It just happens.  

4 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

When I'm depressed about the Bills I try to spend more time with my children. I talk to them, ask them how they're getting on in school, how old they are now, things like that. 

And when the Bills are playing good, you ignore your children!

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not burned out, but I am not as enthusiastic as I have been in other years. Maybe my expectations were too high for the year? The sloppy play that has allowed teams to eek out wins against us and the the bad refereeing have got me a bit jaded. I didn't watch a few of the recent games and didn't miss it. Of course if they win this weekend and then beat Dallas and look good in those games I might be a bit more enthusiastic. 

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah, you're right.

My nostalgic recollection paints 2021 as more enjoyable than it actually was. As you say, catching fire in the playoffs colored things differently.

So in that case, it's been THREE straight years of stressful, anxious Bills football. No wonder everyone's exhausted.

Do you have a link for that Chuck Pagano quote, btw? It's a great one, and I hadn't heard it. If that's a real quote....yikes.

I don't have a link but it's verbatim(give or take "butt" or "azz") from a segment on the Pat McAfee show when he was lamenting the lack of fun the Bills seemed to be having.   It was in the days after the Denver loss.   It wasn't said pointedly like a Rex Ryan shot but it was a criticism nonetheless.    And he's right.   Teams take on the identity of their coach and his brand is focused anxiety.         

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I have a friend who roots for a bunch of different sports teams.  His disappointment at Bills losses is counterbalanced by wins delivered by some of his other favorite clubs.

Me, I just follow the Bills.  So, when I have a bad week, personally and/or professionally, and then the Bills lose, there is no consolation.  

I just try to be Stoic about it and accept reality as it's handed to me.  

10 hours ago, damj said:

I don't know if it's just me ... but after the last 13 weeks, I'm burned out with this team. I'm a season ticket holder,  and I'll be out there the next 2 weeks regardless and sporting the red, white and blue ... but I really don't care anymore.

But then again, maybe it is just me ... I don't care about much of anything any more. 

I looked to the Bills to be a distraction from everything else in my life,  but they're just as F'd as everything else

I mean I can save you the agony by going in your place with your tickets...I'll take one for the team!!:wub:

• Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Teams take on the identity of their coach and his brand is focused anxiety.         

This is my biggest feat with McDermott.

The Bills' two most important players and biggest team leaders, Allen and Diggs, are funny, loose, fun loving guys. They are anchored to a head coach who is serious, conservative, and -- as we're discussing -- tight. Anxious. 

Whereas the Bills should be a team that is visibly having fun and exhibiting swagger and braggadocio and taking on the personality of Allen and Diggs (their on-field leaders), they are instead a team that is visibly tight, cautious, and exhibiting carefulness and fear, and are taking on the personality of McDermott (their off-field leader).

Unfortunately, if the rumors are true, there is "zero chance" of any coaching change this offseason, so the best I can do is hope that I'm wrong and that the Bills go on a run.

Frustrating.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

doesn’t need to be an extreme case to visit some with training in mental health. Folks in the mental health field have a passion for helping people no issue is too small if it’s bringing you down.

For reals^ I've been pretty open on the board about my own mental health struggles. The best thing I ever did was go see a therapist. Just gives you tools and mindsets to deal with things. Makes tough days easier 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, YodaMan79 said:

* Really, “sn@tch” is blocked? 😂 

I worked in a record store in the late '80s. We used to get free merch during 'album pulls' at the end of every month when the store was done using the promo materials. I grabbed this album solely for the name of the band and still have it today. :devil: 😂

image.png.d6dcabf350e9d29baf4645cea7b9da9a.png

• Haha (+1) 3

11 hours ago, damj said:

I don't know if it's just me ... but after the last 13 weeks, I'm burned out with this team. I'm a season ticket holder,  and I'll be out there the next 2 weeks regardless and sporting the red, white and blue ... but I really don't care anymore.

But then again, maybe it is just me ... I don't care about much of anything any more. 

I looked to the Bills to be a distraction from everything else in my life,  but they're just as F'd as everything else

I think the problem the last few seasons has been media expectations. I remember the season after we went to the afc championship game, I heard a reporter saying how if the bills didn't get to the superbowl that year (13 seconds year) that the season would be a complete failure. Well, isn't every season a failure if they or any other team doesn't get to the superbowl? Every season since 2020, we've had this expectation of the bills getting to the superbowl, and I think we've set ourselves up for failure to a degree. Since we lost to the broncos a few weeks back, I have zero expectations for the rest of the season. The bills dug themselves a deep hole. Much of it may have been Dorsey, I dunno. I hope we go on a miracle run. It'd be amazing to see, but I'm just gonna try and enjoy the games from here out without crazy expectations 

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

We are all pissed about the team but the way some people talk here is just depressing. If you feel burnt out with the team then don't watch. It's as simple as that. We don't need to hear about it

Everyone has different life and situation. For some people the Bills are their escape and avenue for something they enjoy in what may not be very good circumstances and situation so things going south hits harder then for other. Pre Kids I took things a lot more serious and harder, now it can still upset me but nearly the way it use to.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, damj said:

Hang in there. It is easy to see the things that are F'd up. Look beyond that, it's hard to do at times, but when you do you will see the things that really matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't have a link but it's verbatim(give or take "butt" or "azz") from a segment on the Pat McAfee show when he was lamenting the lack of fun the Bills seemed to be having.   It was in the days after the Denver loss.   It wasn't said pointedly like a Rex Ryan shot but it was a criticism nonetheless.    And he's right.   Teams take on the identity of their coach and his brand is focused anxiety.         

This

It's no coincidence Bills fans watch this group and wait for the other shoe to drop, that's how they operate on the field from the top on down

Anticipating either a blowout victory or a heartbreak defeat is a tough way to be a fan even if it is punctuated by moments of brilliance from the QB

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, damj said:

Hang in there bro. 

• Like (+1) 1

Walking into the Tampa Bay game on Thursday night my wife asked me stop and look around. She said too many times  lately we would just walk through the lots and not enjoy the whole experience. She was on to something,I had to remind myself that for the last 48 years we had been coming to the games and really enjoying all of it but it was starting to wear on us. The winning, the losing, the coaching, the weather, the 12 hour round trips, the changes of the NFL in general (refs), the fans, the cell phones, waiting to park, to get out of lot waiting to get in the game, the prices. All things that has an impact on Bills football but it was getting to us.

We stopped, looked around and reminded each other of how lucky we are to be able to be where we were. We love Bills football, we love being around the fans,we loved the whole atmosphere. I reminded her that there are only 32 place in the entire world that have a NFL football team and we are in one of them. It was also worthy to note that on that Thursday night we, the fans and our team, the Bills were the only game in the NFL world.

So yeah, like you I get a little burned out, disgusted and just plain pi**ed off but I wouldn't change it for anything.

THEY'RE KILLIN ME WHITEY, THEY'RE KILLIN ME.   GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not me.  It has been a frustrating season - but the drought the Bills went through is something I've internalized, so just having a competitive team and top QB is enough to get me excited every Sunday.  

And I'm still hopeful w/ this team.  I think we can get on a run & make it to the playoffs.  And if we don't, I'll still be stoked about next season and glad to not have to go through the QB angst that defined every offseason between Kelly & Allen.

12 hours ago, damj said:

People put too much emphasis on a form of entertainment.  It’s a game, it’s one most of us love, but it’s still a game.  If they win or lose, your life shouldn’t reflect that result.  

I mean you’re a season ticket holder.  Thats an incredible experience with friends, fans, family, etc that people who aren’t as fortunate as you would kill for.  Focus on enjoying this fortunate and incredible experience you get to go to with the people you go with and are surrounded by and less about whether they win or lose.   

Just my 2 cents.  If I’m being honest, it’s like listening to someone who drives a Ferrari complain about driving.  

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I didn't see any live but the dagger in the heart was no less painful. I have to admit though, it is something, this season has certainly been painful to watch at times but regardless, I wouldn't trade it for any of the drought years. I don't think they run the table and likely miss the playoffs, but they'll put up a fight. just hope they can right the ship this next offseason and come out in '24 ready to compete. 

Well if that happens we will not be facing conference 1st ranked teams except when we face entire conference so it will be a welcome change just having different opponents.

• Like (+1) 1

The only thing that keeps me even mildly interested is that the Bills are or always seem to be better when they are in the Underdog spot & they are definitely there right now . Their backs couldn't be any more up against the wall than it is right now .

I continue to hope for good things & watching the Philly game gave my out look better but it also seems that when ever the Bills get rolling other things come up to push them back down . 

I think it's the Madden Curse ...

15 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Im with ya borther1! Mostly Imm just tired. Ive ben thinkin bout taken a brake from sports may be get a new hobby. Sumthin peace full like paintin or building a ship in a bottle but then I think may as well cut are ***** off an watch soccer while Im at it. I just dont know any more. Every thing stopped makin sense in the 80s.

Something peaceful like building a ship in a bottle? Are you freaking kidding me? Have you ever tried building one of those before? I get stressed just WATCHING someone try to build one of those damn thing. 😅😅😅😅😅

5 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

You seem to forget the world doesn't revolve around you..."We don't need to hear about it" Hard for you to understand that others don't have the same view as you it appears... I find your response quite telling when I simply just suggested that you consider another perspective than your own.  I know it's tough for some people to consider others.  Again, some people talk about the emotions they feel.  I am guessing you don't.  That is ok.  I find it odd that you get upset that someone expressed the way they feel.  Honestly it is more telling about you than him.

Edited by Lagoon Blues
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.