Philly, Buffalo, Kansas City - How Refs Treat Them

BuffaloBaumer

I am sorry but JFC, why is the non-call on the KC pass interference a national story when arguably the WORST referee performance of the year happened a week earlier against Buffalo. Every call/non-call that went against Buffalo vs Philly was more egregious than the previous one. I just don't get it. Do these idiots really want a 2nd string QB in the playoffs over arguably the best player in the NFL (Josh Allen).

I already dread watching this game coming up as I fully expect our team to be used as an example yet another time. If this pattern takes place in the 1st quarter vs KC again, I hope Buffalo takes any and all liberties with hits against their star players. Sorry, but enough is freaking enough. It happens to KC once last night, and the whole media is crying about it....tough luck.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Until I see stats I won't wager a guess.

I remember about a dozen years ago a guy went through and broke down all the team penalties. New England was toward the middle, as was a few other teams. New Orleans, the giants, and some more, right in the middle to high side. 

The guy then broke down yards per penalty and there were outliers among the teams that eventually showed bias but they still ended up as getting fewer yards then average. 

But, the stat he provided that broke it down essentially put it as penalties which has significance to the outcome and the effect of the game. It was magnificent. How many penalties came in each quarter was there. How many penalties when the team had a greater than 10+ lead. Etc

It clearly showed favoritism. The guy wound it up saying that he believed it just to be a fact that refs believed these teams were better than the others and thus. Less likely to have penalties committed.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I personally think the non PI call was a makeup call for the BS 15 yards they gave the chiefs the play before 

It wasn’t the play before. The play before was the clear forward-progress stopped in bounds play that the refs ruled out of bounds. GB was screwed twice on that possession by horrible calls.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

I thought the same thing watching the game. Collinsworth and Tirico were apoplectic about the non-calls on the PI's because they didn't benefit the Chiefs and golden boy Mahomes.

When the Bills play games that seem borderline-fixed, the announcers are just like, "Tough call on the Bills there" after something egregiously bad and then change the subject immediately.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

I thought the same thing watching the game. Collinsworth and Tirico were apoplectic about the non-calls on the PI's because they didn't benefit the Chiefs and golden boy Mahomes.

When the Bills play games that seem borderline-fixed, the announcers are just like, "Tough call on the Bills there" after something egregiously bad and then change the subject immediately.

This is exactly what I’m talking about.

• Like (+1) 1

I heard all the complaining about the chiefs non-PI call on how it was the worst non-call in the history of the league etc. Then I watched the play, and couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about.  First in real time it was a bang bang play.  In that case the DB should always be given the benefit of the doubt. We need games played more in line with letting them play.  Second, the receiver was a jag. Jags do not get calls that are close whoever they are playing for. Look at sherfield last week.  Third, and most important, the DB was plausibly making a play on the ball.  His head was turned toward the backfield, he had a right to the ball, and the the receiver was in his way. The DB should always get the benefit of the doubt in that situation.  I’m glad I missed it live so as to have escaped listening to collinsworth.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It wasn’t the play before. The play before was the clear forward-progress stopped in bounds play that the refs ruled out of bounds. GB was screwed twice on that possession by horrible calls.

Even more reason for them to leave the flag in their pocket. Thank you!

46 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I heard all the complaining about the chiefs non-PI call on how it was the worst non-call in the history of the league etc. Then I watched the play, and couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about.  First in real time it was a bang bang play.  In that case the DB should always be given the benefit of the doubt. We need games played more in line with letting them play.  Second, the receiver was a jag. Jags do not get calls that are close whoever they are playing for. Look at sherfield last week.  Third, and most important, the DB was plausibly making a play on the ball.  His head was turned toward the backfield, he had a right to the ball, and the the receiver was in his way. The DB should always get the benefit of the doubt in that situation.  I’m glad I missed it live so as to have escaped listening to collinsworth.   

I’m shocked - shocked I tell ya - that Charles Romes is defending the DB. 

2 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

I personally think the non PI call was a makeup call for the BS 15 yards they gave the chiefs the play before 

Don't forget that right after that terrible PF penalty on Green Bay for hitting Mahomes the ref called a Chiefs player out of bounds who clearly had their forward momentum stopped in the field of play.  If the ref makes the right call here and keeps the clock running the Chiefs were going to lose a lot of time off the clock. 

So yea, after screwing Green Bay in back to back calls they're suddenly going to enforce a legit PI to help the Chiefs? My guess is NY intervened there.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo619 said:

until we get in the good graces with the league, we’re not getting any favors.  Something or somebody pissed off the league, it really got bad at the beginning of the calendar year. Something happened in the bengals game.

4 straight SB loses and lost ad revenue.  The Bills will never get anymore calls than the Raiders.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

If you follow fans of other teams, the narrative is that the Bills are a protected class by NFL referees. Refereeing is bad in general. It doesn't affect the Bills any worse than it does anyone else. We have gotten a ton of BS calls going in our favor like PIs and Roughing the Passer and getting away with a ton of holding.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

Pretty sure that was mentioned in the in game thread. 

A little bit off topic, but did anyone notice Kelsey going downfield on the Hail Mary?  

He was jogging like some old dude at a Y basketball pickup game. 

Is he hurt?

Or some mind game to draw penalties?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Don't forget that right after that terrible PF penalty on Green Bay for hitting Mahomes the ref called a Chiefs player out of bounds who clearly had their forward momentum stopped in the field of play.  If the ref makes the right call here and keeps the clock running the Chiefs were going to lose a lot of time off the clock. 

So yea, after screwing Green Bay in back to back calls they're suddenly going to enforce a legit PI to help the Chiefs? My guess is NY intervened there.

I never understand the refs rationale on some of these out of bounds calls.  If a guy steps out on his own, shouldn’t that stop the clock?  I’ve seen guys pushed out by a defender and the ref still doesn’t stop the clock.  Other times, a guy is tackled near the sideline and rolls out of bounds and they stop the clock.  Like many other scenarios, there isn’t a lot of consistency.   I know the rules are different for the last 2 minutes but you even see the players reactions to the unexpected calls.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

We were getting the calls in ‘19-20 and ‘20-21.  Calls started going sideways 1/1/23.  Bills did something that the league did not like and were being punished. 

The Bills didn't do anything really.  Those few favorable calls were just the K-Y Jelly being applied by the league for that stadium bill that was looming.  That's already over with so things are back to normal again.

7 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I am sorry but JFC, why is the non-call on the KC pass interference a national story when arguably the WORST referee performance of the year happened a week earlier against Buffalo. Every call/non-call that went against Buffalo vs Philly was more egregious than the previous one. I just don't get it. Do these idiots really want a 2nd string QB in the playoffs over arguably the best player in the NFL (Josh Allen).

I already dread watching this game coming up as I fully expect our team to be used as an example yet another time. If this pattern takes place in the 1st quarter vs KC again, I hope Buffalo takes any and all liberties with hits against their star players. Sorry, but enough is freaking enough. It happens to KC once last night, and the whole media is crying about it....tough luck.

"Accidental" hits on zebras would be more effective.  Let them see ghosts when deciding throw flag.

I liked scene in Remember the Titans where DC when he found referees making biased calls and he tells head referee that it will be exposed it they do not do job fairly and then tells defense to not allow another yard by offense.

7 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

It’d be nice if they could just get all the calls right the first time, then they wouldn’t need to keep score on whether a makeup call is needed or not.

Where’s all our make up calls!!

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

But that was the woman ref. Who knows where they stand on the whole pro KC, t’hell with Buffalo

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Pretty sure that was mentioned in the in game thread. 

A little bit off topic, but did anyone notice Kelsey going downfield on the Hail Mary?  

He was jogging like some old dude at a Y basketball pickup game. 

Is he hurt?

Or some mind game to draw penalties?

Looked to me like Kelce was not right the whole game. Going down after catching a pass instead of running over a DB or LB.  He came out of the game several times. He looked dazed and confused on the sidelines.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Looked to me like Kelce was not right the whole game. Going down after catching a pass instead of running over a DB or LB.  He came out of the game several times. He looked dazed and confused on the sidelines.

Probably something with him and Taylor?

Found this and some interesting stats.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/all-penalties.php?year=2023

Yes Josh Allen has 5 Roughing the Passer calls

Jax 15 Pass Interferences they've benefited from & only called once.

Buffalo Called 8 X's for DPI and had only 3 PI's called in their favour.  Defensive Holding 4 calls against 5 on Bills receivers.....

KC's OL holds a lot 21 penalties, but no one holds them 5 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Sadly for Buffalo, KC has Mahomes the face of the NFL and Mr Taylor Swift on their team so they get a HUGE light shining on them. Philly is a big market team and gets the attention.. BOTH are defending AFC/NFC Champs and get the calls right now. 

Buffalo is a small market team and THIS YEAR seen as inferior to Miami, even though Miami strength of victory is like .300 lol. 

13 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I mentioned this in real time as the GB/KC game was ending on Sunday night.  You can bet your a$$, that due to the Chiefs getting hosed on a late DPI non-call, that the referees will be VERY tight in calling anything handsy against Buffalo this Sunday.   

There is no way that the Bills are leaving Arrowhead without having some ticky tack yellow flags raining down on their secondary that will affect the game... some may be legit, some will be very bad calls.  The Bills will not leave this game with a penalty advantage,,, if they do I will be more stunned than a blow out win.

Edited by zow2

12 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

My thoughts exactly.  That call wasn’t bad.  It would have been yucky tack to throw the flag there.  The DB had eyes on the ball and played the ball.  Maybe a tad early under slow motion, but very well timed on live speed.  

I saw multiple PIs not called on the Eagles, all much more egregious than that.  

Well the refs didn't give KC a blatant DPI late in the game that would have sent them up at around the GB 10-15 yard line against MVS...I mean maybe the ref figured he would have dropped the ball like he always does but still...that was an absolutely brutal miss.

The main factors were that it was a Sunday night game everyone was watching and the pass interference came at the end of the game.  Missed calls on the Bills mostly were in the first half.  

I just hope Terry and Beane sent the tape in to the league offices

13 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

That was hilarious.  Forward progress but ruled oob!  I was laughing hysterically.  

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

He looks tired and like he’s slowing down.  Maybe just saving his best for when it really matters…..but we should kick their heads in. I expect Mahomes’ feet to be their biggest weapon come sunday

• Like (+1) 2

Officiating in the NFL is terrible these days, as we all can see.  I don't know that there's outright fraud occurring, but a few things, in my opinion, factor in:

• bias in favor of home team/influence of the crowd
  • bias in favor of star players
  • bias in favor of high profile/influential coaches
  • the speed of plays in real time
  • desire for things to even out over time/makeup calls

Many of these biases may be unconscious and are more human nature than the ref outright thinking "Let's screw over the Bills on this one" although I do think that it's the "even out" or "makeup" calls are a bit more conscious.  If one team has gotten the lions share of the calls all game, they might throw a flag later in the game on a borderline call (or the opposite).

10 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

I never understand the refs rationale on some of these out of bounds calls.  If a guy steps out on his own, shouldn’t that stop the clock?  I’ve seen guys pushed out by a defender and the ref still doesn’t stop the clock.  Other times, a guy is tackled near the sideline and rolls out of bounds and they stop the clock.  Like many other scenarios, there isn’t a lot of consistency.   I know the rules are different for the last 2 minutes but you even see the players reactions to the unexpected calls.

I only know the basic rules.  The clock outside of 2 mins will only pause until the ball is set.  Inside two minutes it will stop but only if the players forward progress is not stopped before going out of bounds.  Going backwards out of bounds will only stop the clock if the players momentum carried him out of bounds.  Such as if the player was backwards and caught the ball and that then carried him backwards out of bounds.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.