Bills @ Benglas Game Thread - 1st half

Simon

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

That is not grounding if the QB is not under pressure. There has to be intent to avoid the pressure. McCauley is an idiot, apparently. 

It is a foul for intentional grounding if a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

You're making a big assumption that the refs know the rules.  Even McAulay ***** it up.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

They are back to using Gabe on sideline go routes. So ineffective. I guess we won’t see the quick routes that were effective last week from him. 

Last week was a mirage. The Bucs played crazy off coverage which allowed a weak route runner like Davis to immediately flash open. He is the same player he always has been.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dgrochester55 said:

By having the refs arbitrarily decide to call a phantom penalty three minutes after the last play.

And miss the tripped penalty which would have been 15 yards and a first down?

They clearly would be looking at the play. And just like the officials coming in on the headphones to call that intentional grounding - it should have been called. No excuse.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, 97bills said:

He has looked totally different this year. Everything is so hard in our offense, and we don’t no how to run block. 

Remember the offense when every play was designed to gain 10 or more yards? Those were the days we didn't sweat 3rd & 10.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, daz28 said:

The thing that blows my mind, is this rule is short and sweet.  It needs 2 factors, and these dodo refs got so caught up they didn't even make sure factor 1 happened.  Sad

You almost never see that call, refs just make ridiculous decisions at times.

1 minute ago, KOKBILLS said:

The grounding call was terrible. But it's a hell of a lot worse when that is the best you can do on a 3rd and 6 call when points are in range... How can Gabe and Josh not be on the same page there? And how can we be settling for a SUPER low conversion percentage play like that anyway on 3rd down? How is that even possible?

I've so had it with this team having massive lapses in concentration. There is no way a team with this much talent should ever have to settle for what we just witnessed. And that is squarely on McDermott. I've been one of the holdouts on him... But that was an embarrassing coaching effort and it seems as if he cannot get these guys up consistently anymore. The Bengals are not THIS good. If they were they would be up by 28 now...

It never should of been 3rd and 6. The tripping should of given us 15 and a 1st

2 minutes ago, finn said:

This is not the team we thought it was. It just isn't.  I've never called for McDermott's head, but when a team is this bad on offense, defense, and special teams, you have to conclude he's a big part of the problem. 

Ya we can forgive the D due to injuries but the O and ST, you’re absolutely correct. 

We matriculated down the field with quick efficient passes first series then we totally change course and this is where we’re at…

What I’m even more annoyed with is the absolute trash game management by McDermott. 43 seconds left with your TE limping to get on the line call the TO regroup and drive down to get a TD. But no we let 16 seconds run off the clock and dump it off to a player that doesn’t need to be on the field. 

This happens way too often and is the main reason we aren’t a perennial #1 seed. We have the talent, we need better in game management and consistency on our offensive play calling

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t care what that idiot ref apologist said lol I have never ever seen grounding called in that situation where there was some route confusion on a deep ball 

I have, 2007 SB Brady threw to a spot and got called for intentional grounding. The receiver zigged when Brady expected him to zag.. 

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

You're making a big assumption that the refs know the rules.  Even McAulay ***** it up.

The refs tonight are seriously using no common sense. The taunt, the grounding, the non-call on the trip. 

Then, they run the clock too at the end of the half, unbeknownst to anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1

This game is making me sad, but our prospects for the future is making me sadder. This is an old and beat up team going nowhere. I don't see how we get into the playoffs this year, with the AFC being a gauntlet. I think the whole AFC North might get in. I don't see us winning the division, and the future looks even more bleak. We cannot even play close with Cincy, they just blow us out and have our number, and Beane did nothing in the off season to address that. 

Josh is now stuck on a team rapidly going downhill. I am heartbroken for Diggs, because he knows his time is running out. Just sad.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.