Bengals Early 1.5 Point Favourites — Vegas More Optimistic About the Bills Than Many?

HIT BY SPIKES

Given the typical 3 points the Home Team gets and the Bengals are on a 3 game winning streak — beat @Cardinals, Seahawks and @49’ers — and the Bills have stumbled to victories recently, it seems Vegas sees the Bills in a more positive light than many here.

I tend to be an optimistic Bills fan however I don’t have a good feeling about Sunday Night’s game in Cincinnati.

What do you think Vegas is seeing that perhaps we are overlooking?

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, chongli said:

The Bengals are -13 in point differential whereas the Bills are +86. The Bengals are 0-3 vs. AFC teams. That's all I have at this late hour.

That makes sense.

The Bengals had a very rough start to the season where those factors you listed happened.

Vegas isn’t putting a lot of emphasis on momentum.

That the Bengals clearly have and the Bills do not.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Given the typical 3 points the Home Team gets and the Bengals are on a 3 game winning streak — beat @Cardinals, Seahawks and @49’ers — and the Bills have stumbled to victories recently, it seems Vegas sees the Bills in a more positive light than many here.

I tend to be an optimistic Bills fan however I don’t have a good feeling about Sunday Night’s game in Cincinnati.

After watching how they dismantled San Fran defense yesterday and the pressure they got on QB could be an ugly game for the Bills. Bengals 48 Bills 17

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

I believe Vegas has adjusted the 3 points at home to like 1.5 for most teams (believe the Bills and Chiefs get 3 still because we have legit home field advantage).

I mean it should be a really close line. But as others have said, the bengals will get bet heavy and the line will be higher before game time. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think the line continues to move to the Bengals and we see our first big loss. Not saying we get blown out, but it seems the two teams are moving in opposite directions right now (similar to when we met last year). 

Maybe the 10 days off gave the Bills a little extra, but to me this is one of those games coming up. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

The line has already moved to -2.5. By kick off the line should be -3.5. 

I already hammered the Bengals at -2.5. 

You got a bad line as the spread is 2 or 1.5 across the board right now (mostly 2s).  2 isn't really that key a number so hopefully no big deal; hopefully the game doesn't end on a failed 2-pt conversion by the Bills or something like that.

As for your prediction of the line moving to 3.5, I doubt it.  I have already bet the Bengals so like you I think 1.5/2 is too short of a line.  However, keep in mind that on Jan 2 of this year (Game 17 of last season), the Bills were also at Cincy (the canceled game) and the Bills were 2.5-pt favorites in that game.  In other words, there's already been a pretty decent adjustment in the spread to reflect the results since then (including Cincy's domination of Buffalo in the playoffs).

The most I could see this getting to is -3 even money (so heavily juiced on the +3 side).  To go through the 3 to 3.5 is a stretch barring significant new injury news.  Truth be told, even getting to 3 even is perhaps a stretch.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, harryS said:

You got a bad line as the spread is 2 or 1.5 across the board right now (mostly 2s).  2 isn't really that key a number so hopefully no big deal; hopefully the game doesn't end on a failed 2-pt conversion by the Bills or something like that.

As for your prediction of the line moving to 3.5, I doubt it.  I have already bet the Bengals so like you I think 1.5/2 is too short of a line.  However, keep in mind that on Jan 2 of this year (Game 17 of last season), the Bills were also at Cincy (the canceled game) and the Bills were 2.5-pt favorites in that game.  In other words, there's already been a pretty decent adjustment in the spread to reflect the results since then (including Cincy's domination of Buffalo in the playoffs).

The most I could see this getting to is -3 even money (so heavily juiced on the +3 side).  To go through the 3 to 3.5 is a stretch barring significant new injury news.  Truth be told, even getting to 3 even is perhaps a stretch.  

I think the line will move to plus 3 for Buffalo. I think sharp money will be all over the Bengals at home. I'd be surprised if the hook goes to Buffalo for plus 3.5. 

The public just saw the Bengals beat a very good niner team on the road. The way they won was impressive. Meanwhile, the struggling Bills hung on for dear life to beat a Baker Mayfield led team in their home building. 

I don't find the references of last year being pertinent now. The Bills were the super bowl favorites and the darlings on many in the NFL. They were often over bet and the betting lines were often slightly inaccurate. This year isn't the case especially with the injuries. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Since1981 said:

bengals have momentum, bills don’t. Bengals have proven capable of beating bills. Feels like cats should be favorited by more betting-wise. 

Vegas sharps are Vegas sharps because they see past things like momentum and which team won the matchup last year.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Vegas sharps are Vegas sharps because they see past things like momentum and which team won the matchup last year.

Vegas sharps are Vegas sharps because they recognize the significance of good play and momentum. They can analyse matchups and see who has the better advantages. 

There I fixed it for you. 

21 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Or Devon Levi.

Another CB/Goalie connection for the Bills and Sabres?

Or the addition of Josh Norman

A great leader with something in the tank. He looks to be a special teams star too.

Allen they need now is to get Beasley and Brown back on the roster!

5 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Vegas has liked the Bills all year, yet we’re only 3-5 ATS

I had multiple people here tell me I must not watch football if I think the bengals are good.  

The bills do not have the horses to slow down that offense.  They are going to have to win a 38-35 game.  Doesn't feel like they are built to do that right now.  It feels like the game sunday will be a worse version of the playoff game last year. 

They have to go get help for this defense today or tomorrow, they just have to

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Josh Allen

I think it’s fortuitous that we’re playing the Bengals the week of the trade deadline.  McBeane can’t fool themselves in regards to the Bills weaknesses with the very real possibility of being bullied by the Bengals coming up.  I think a Donta Foreman type hammer RB to replace Harris and a stout DT next to Oliver are a must.  Probably wouldn’t cost more than a 4th and 6th rounder to fill those needs.  

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

My initial feeling is that the Bills will put up a good fight, but the Bengals will just be too much on offense to stop late.

Maybe we get lucky with a key turnover or something, but smart money is on Cincy

My biggest fear is listening to Chris Collingsworth call a Cincy game. And if they get rolling, it will be unbearable. 

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Beast said:

I was expecting a -4.5 to -5 for the Bengals.

The Bills are just all out of sorts.

Vegas doesn’t trust the bengals yet either…Deebo-less 49ers are a mediocre at best team that is now 0-3 in a 3 game stretch. Don’t think the non buffalo fan bettors are taking as much out of the niners bengals game as we are.

it’s possible they’re just starting out on an epic run but it’s possible they aren’t too 

The Bengals are having an interesting season. 

Offensively they've had 2 great, 1 mediocre, and 4 awful games. 

Defensively has been great the whole year outside of an inexplicable pounding in Tennessee. 

Obviously they are trending in a better direction than the Bills with those 2 great offensive games coming in the last 3 weeks. One of those was against the Cardinals (possibly the worst team in the league) and a suddenly reeling 49ers team. 

The Bills have avenged their last 2 playoff losses to KC with regular season wins at KC. I think we'll do the same to the Bengals this year with our offense finally hitting high gear again. 

Bengals are just a difficult matchup for the Bills. Just like Jacksonville and the Jets. Not sure why, maybe it’s mojo or just certain individual matchups are bad, but it’s the NFL ‘Nother Flucking Loss - which also describes my betting record this year. 

7 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

By the way, I was listening to a show about Vegas NFL odds and the "3 points for home teams" is not a thing anymore.  They said homefield is not the huge advantage it used to be, everything is analytical now.  At best the home team nowadays gets 1.5 points towards their side.

1 minute ago, WotAGuy said:

Bengals are just a difficult matchup for the Bills. Just like Jacksonville and the Jets. Not sure why, maybe it’s mojo or just certain individual matchups are bad, but it’s the NFL ‘Nother Flucking Loss - which also describes my betting record this year. 

It's been a bad matchup all the way back to the 1988 AFC Championship game.  I agree, we just haven't matched up well with the Bengals, especially in the big games.

3 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Bengals are physical on both sides of ball with an excellent QB who will take the 6-7 yard pass all day.  

• Like (+1) 1

Have to remember as bad as the Bills played the 49ers team the Bengals just played scored 9 points against Cleveland and 17 points against Minnesota. 
They still should have lost to the Seahawks last week. So the Bengals are playing better but it’s not like we are playing some juggernaut that why even bother showing up type of game.

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

Have to remember as bad as the Bills played the 49ers team the Bengals just played scored 9 points against Cleveland and 17 points against Minnesota. 
They still should have lost to the Seahawks last week. So the Bengals are playing better but it’s not like we are playing some juggernaut that why even bother showing up type of game.

The 49ers are lost without Deebo…we may lose for sure but this notion that the bengals beat a juggernaut is objectively false. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.