Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

3 minutes ago, balln said:

Zac Taylor took over a worse roster. Joe was out all year w a knee- so career winning % isn’t doing it for me 

He’s beaten kc in arrowhead a LOt. And in the playoffs . He’s beaten McD badly at home in buf. I don’t see dumb TOs or challenges w cin. He’s gone to a Super Bowl 

OK, let's just look at the measurable stats since 2021.  McDermott has a better winning percentage in every season.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

McD is usually pretty good in revenge game scenarios.  I think he does have it circled. 

I'd think there's a good chance the whole team has this game circled, not only did they play bad against them in that playoff game to end their season but their was a lot of ***** talk from the Bengals afterwords.

I think the offense will show up. They'll stick to 11 personnel and continue to spread the ball to different receivers while making a conscious effort to run the ball.

Unfortunately I don't think the defense can keep the Bengals or any other top caliber team from scoring often.  

I don't expect Beane to make any trades to shore up our shortcomings on D (SURPRISE!) And it's just gonna be too hard to keep good teams from scoring with what we have currently. 

They couldn't put away the Giants, NE or Bucs from winning or keeping it close in the 4th. Whether it be players or coaching decisions. 3 of the worse offenses in the league that had no business in the game. 

But, I will continue to hold out hope, GO BILLS!!!

4 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

OK, let's just look at the measurable stats since 2021.  McDermott has a better winning percentage in every season.  

I don’t care about reg season winning % for a Hc 

Tony dungy

Marty S

marv 

how about this 

zac Taylor w burrow is better than McD w Allen 

Edited by balln

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You look at the depth chart on that Cincinnati defense. 

That's primarily what the 2023 Draft was for them - 2 deep at every position now. 

They are a defensive team that has one elite QB to WR pairing. 

Against the Bills last year they were able to run at will as well. 

Interesting. And beane and Sean draft Dorian.

and we have 1! 1 injury to Lb. 

And they can’t even play him now. 

Frustrating..

Bernard looking overwhelmed his rookie year and playing like a legitimate pro-bowl caliber player in Year 2 absolves them a bit, but a RD3 pick should be sufficient depth at any non-QB position.  The fact the can't/won't play Dorian Williams is very annoying.  

The guy taken one pick before him was set to start at LB for Dallas before he suffered a season ending injury in pre-season. 

2 minutes ago, balln said:

And it's not like Duke Tobin has been an all-world drafter. 

Cincinnati has gone in runs, the mid-2000's with Palmer, Chris Henry, Chad Johnson, T. J. Houshmandzadeh, Rudi Johnson  - a tear down and build back with Dalton, AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohammed Sanu and their all 1st Round secondary - Pac Man, Terrence Newman, Reggie Nelson, Leon Hall, William Jackson in the mid-2010's. 

And now they've stacked a few good drafts in a row together. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Frustrating..

Bernard looking overwhelmed his rookie year and playing like a legitimate pro-bowl caliber player in Year 2 absolves them a bit, but a RD3 pick should be sufficient depth at any non-QB position.  The fact the can't/won't play Dorian Williams is very annoying.  

The guy taken one pick before him was set to start at LB for Dallas before he suffered a season ending injury in pre-season. 

right - notice i said THEY cant even play him. I think Dorian can play and youll have to live and die by his play. But instead true to form these coaches and player evaluators ahve decided to play it safe and die a slow death w dodson. OR poyer at LB!

its crazy

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The blue print is out there to beat Cincy. 

In the world of football, where the plays are grand,
There's a lesson to learn, in this sporty land.
It's about a coach, Ken Dorsey by name,
And a play he called once, in a moment of fame.

"Ken Dorsey," they said, "you're a football sage,
But this one play call, it's like a page,
From the book of strange choices, a puzzling decision,
A Shotgun Draw Play, it lacks football precision."

It happened on second and goal, from the one-yard line,
A chance to score points, a moment so fine.
But the call was quite curious, to everyone's surprise,
A Shotgun Draw Play, with wide-open eyes.

The quarterback backed up, the snap in his hand,
The defense advanced, like a shifting sand.
The running back took it, tried to make a dash,
But the defenders swarmed, like a lightning flash.

"Ken Dorsey," they shouted, "what did you do?
A Shotgun Draw Play from the one-yard, it's true.
You've got to be careful, make choices that fit,
In this game of inches, where touchdowns are lit."

So let this be a lesson to coaches, you see,
In the world of football, for you and for me.
A Shotgun Draw Play, from the one-yard line?
It's a choice that may not end as divine.

Stick to the basics, keep it simple and true,
And your team will succeed, that's what they'll do.
In football, as in life, the lesson is clear,
Don't make strange decisions, let your choices steer.

right - notice i said THEY cant even play him. I think Dorian can play and youll have to live and die by his play. But instead true to form these coaches and player evaluators ahve decided to play it safe and die a slow death w dodson. OR poyer at LB!

its crazy

So you want to keep playing the kid even if it's to the detriment of the team, and likely the kid as well? This is the NFL - one big play can lose you a game. Always play the more consistent player regardless of potential.

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

So you want to keep playing the kid even if it's to the detriment of the team, and likely the kid as well? This is the NFL - one big play can lose you a game. Always play the more consistent player regardless of potential.

in general you are right. But we have major season ending injuries at all 3 levels. OUR depth arguable is DL and secondary. So we need to play , god forbid, SOME of our rookies - slow development be damned. You cant tell me dorian who balled out vs usc (spread O) in a bowl game cant be COACHED up by our COACHES. AND as an off ball LB if that is the critical achilles heel of this D to give up the big play that loses us games - then our problem is the COACHES and player evaluators

43 minutes ago, finn said:

I'm thinking that the Bills need to surprise the Bengals on both sides of the ball to avoid a blowout. The hurry-up pace Dorsey tried last week is encouraging. I hope they add more wrinkles. It's time to play loose, take some risks. Fake punts, QB runs, going on fourth down, power running, end arounds... This offense is thinking too much. They need to have fun--and stay one step ahead of the Bengals' excellent DC.

On defense, maybe replace Dodson with Rapp or Hamlin. Put Rousseau at tackle. Activate the physically talented Elam to erase Chase. Something to flumox an increasingly confident team with momentum.

But it's more likely that McDermott will want to stay conservative, kick field goals, play bend-don't-break ball, and hope for a close win. If he does, I predict a Bengals blowout. 

Add more wrinkles to an offense that is already thinking too much?

McDermott has already shown his answer to Dodson's lack of athleticism - it's Poyer.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, balln said:

in general you are right. But we have major season ending injuries at all 3 levels. OUR depth arguable is DL and secondary. So we need to play , god forbid, SOME of our rookies - slow development be damned. You cant tell me dorian who balled out vs usc (spread O) in a bowl game cant be COACHED up by our COACHES. AND as an off ball LB if that is the critical achilles heel of this D to give up the big play that loses us games - then our problem is the COACHES and player evaluators

Dorian will be fine - there's no reason to rush him into action though just because he was a 3rd round pick - especially when he's been out-performed by Dodson. He's a rookie! Learning an entirely new scheme, as complex as nfl defenses are, it's tough for anyone let alone a guy straight out of college. You can see he's being coached, he's just a step slow right now and that's mostly because he's still thinking within the scheme. As far as the importance of an off ball LB in our defense - it's freaking defense dude - you can't hide anyone. Eventually a weakness will be exposed. Coaches have all the time in the world to scheme up ways to attack individual players - and if you think they're not you're kidding yourself.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The sentiment here is not a reflection of how unbiased NFL observers are thinking about the game. 

So one thing about this though….a LOT of people in here watch every Bills game, every week, and they have been doing so for decades. And a LOT of the latter folks are very knowledgeable about what they are seeing. And other younger, less knowledgeable people who peruse this forum get to read the “takes” from said knowledgeable posters, so then they gain knowledge, and know what to look for in future games.

OTOH, we have unbiased NFL observers, or if you will, “experts”, (LOL) who DO NOT see every play from every game that the Bills play in. Most of them think McClappy is a great coach….”Look at his record!” And some of these so called experts are younger than the skin tags in my armpits.

Bottom line, I’ll take the sentiment in here over those experts all day, every day. 😉

25 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I think the offense will show up. They'll stick to 11 personnel and continue to spread the ball to different receivers while making a conscious effort to run the ball.

Unfortunately I don't think the defense can keep the Bengals or any other top caliber team from scoring often.  

I don't expect Beane to make any trades to shore up our shortcomings on D (SURPRISE!) And it's just gonna be too hard to keep good teams from scoring with what we have currently. 

They couldn't put away the Giants, NE or Bucs from winning or keeping it close in the 4th. Whether it be players or coaching decisions. 3 of the worse offenses in the league that had no business in the game. 

But, I will continue to hold out hope, GO BILLS!!!

And again ignoring the elephant in the room, McD.  It is the coach's responsibility to to get the team ready and McD has to do a better job with the defense.  Yes Cincy has played better and had a great game vs. SF, but only 17 vs. Seattle and other games where they've struggled.  We need to hold the defense accountable.  

Quite a bit of pessimism on this thread.

Not entirely unwarranted, but I don't see a huge difference between Cincy & Buffalo.  They have some areas where they are stronger, and so do we.  Their defense can be exploited, just like ours can.

It will be tough to cover their receivers - but our line is a strength.  The game will likely hinge on how much they can disrupt Burrow.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

So one thing about this though….a LOT of people in here watch every Bills game, every week, and they have been doing so for decades. And a LOT of the latter folks are very knowledgeable about what they are seeing. And other younger, less knowledgeable people who peruse this forum get to read the “takes” from said knowledgeable posters, so then they gain knowledge, and know what to look for in future games.

OTOH, we have unbiased NFL observers, or if you will, “experts”, (LOL) who DO NOT see every play from every game that the Bills play in. Most of them think McClappy is a great coach….”Look at his record!” And some of these so called experts are younger than the skin tags in my armpits.

Bottom line, I’ll take the sentiment in here over those experts all day, every day. 😉

I don’t think the general sentiments about the bills struggles is wrong…what’s makin this game closer than most on here expect for me is the successes of Cincinnati are being blown massively out of proportion and I’m less high on them than others.  

Pretty much any criticism you can raise of the bills would directly apply to cincy as well…these are two eerily similar teams that are very inconsistent.  I would not be surprised by anything in this one 

• Like (+1) 1

Defensive talent notwithstanding, which I think is at a deficit versus the Bengals offense, I have to believe McD is pretty salty about how the Bengals moved the ball against the Bills last year and has this game circled as one he'd really like to win.

There's also been shaky games by the Bengals this year so there's tape. I think McD and his staff are smart enough to think of something, they've been able to make a lot of QBs look very mortal/average. Biggest concern is being able to execute. 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Lost said:

In the world of football, where the plays are grand,
There's a lesson to learn, in this sporty land.
It's about a coach, Ken Dorsey by name,
And a play he called once, in a moment of fame.

"Ken Dorsey," they said, "you're a football sage,
But this one play call, it's like a page,
From the book of strange choices, a puzzling decision,
A Duo Run Concept, it lacks football precision."

It happened on second and goal, from the one-yard line,
A chance to score points, a moment so fine.
But the call was quite curious, to everyone's surprise,
A Duo Run Concept, with wide-open eyes.

The quarterback backed up, the snap in his hand,
The defense advanced, like a shifting sand.
The running back took it, tried to make a dash,
But the defenders swarmed, like a lightning flash.

"Ken Dorsey," they shouted, "what did you do?
A Duo Run Concept from the one-yard, it's true.
You've got to be careful, make choices that fit,
In this game of inches, where touchdowns are lit."

So let this be a lesson to coaches, you see,
In the world of football, for you and for me.
A Duo Run Concept, from the one-yard line?
It's a choice that may not end as divine.

Stick to the basics, keep it simple and true,
And your team will succeed, that's what they'll do.
In football, as in life, the lesson is clear,
Don't make strange decisions, let your choices steer.

Fixed it for you 😉

11 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Many of your aforementioned individuals do not watch the rest of the league with quite the same frequency that they do the Bills. Sure , some takes in here are measured and reasonable. Many others are over the top with negativity and expect only perfection. They put other teams and staffs on a pedestal and think they can do no wrong. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. Regardless , my point stands. Most NFL observers do not view the Bills as having zero shot in this upcoming game. If you prefer the sentiment that says otherwise , great . Enjoy! 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Sometimes what looks like Josh "taking the easy money" actually is Josh playing off script and NOT taking the easy money.  Like when he ignores the hot read on a blitz and goes to other side of the field after a half rollout away from the blitzer(think throw to Shakir in the flat against TB where he turns it up and runs over the defender on the sideline).  Honestly, think he is allowed to have his own set of rules he plays by because he is able to do things nobody else can is where I end up with.  Sometimes that gets him in trouble when his answer isn't there, but the easy one was right away.

We can't have it both ways tho...when you LOVE the play Allen makes off script by not taking the "easy throw" but then hate when he "doesn't throw hot" when it's there on a play where it didn't work, it doesn't make a lot of sense, because both start from the same place. At the end of the day, we are just going to have to live with it, because it works a lot more than not.

I think we’re in agreement. I want him to take the hots AND be Superman. He just has to pick when/where/how

2 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

It seems like a game where we need our offense to carry but they do the opposite.  Even the playoff game, the D was really bad but only let up 27 points.  It was our pathetic offense that couldn't even make it a game..

So you expect the same game that we saw in January ? 

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

My biggest worry going into this game is confidence of the players and coaching staff. They were abused last year by Bengals.

that should make them angry and fired up.  Play a more aggressive D.  If Elam has any use (assuming he is still on the roster) it would make sense to use his man skills against a Cincy WR.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Many of your aforementioned individuals do not watch the rest of the league with quite the same frequency that they do the Bills. Sure , some takes in here are measured and reasonable. Many others are over the top with negativity and expect only perfection. They put other teams and staffs on a pedestal and think they can do no wrong. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. Regardless , my point stands. Most NFL observers do not view the Bills as having zero shot in this upcoming game. If you prefer the sentiment that says otherwise , great . Enjoy! 

Not everyone in here is saying that the Bills have no chance to win, but that’s what you seem to be saying, and you’re wrong. And I’m not saying that either.

I surmise that just like the “experts” will do this weekend, the picks in here will probably be about 50/50. Although there is about 30% of people in here who are true blinders wearing homers, so they will always be picking the Bills…and that skews my 50/50 prediction. LOL

Again, as far as knowing the team, the players, and the coaches/coaching, tons of people in here are way, way more “in the know” than the “unbiased observers.”

mcd needs to plan and prepare who we have to slow down cincy.  it is absolutely possible, and will require some surprises and good execution.  on the other side, we need some balance running and passing and just be merciless trucking on them and going for it on 4th and short all day.

10+ carries for allen and we win.

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

that should make them angry and fired up.  Play a more aggressive D.  If Elam has any use (assuming he is still on the roster) it would make sense to use his man skills against a Cincy WR.  

You'd hope so. I just hope they don't have boxer's syndrome.

I am going to the game.  Being realistic.  Last year they came into Cincinnati in a similar condition and got pushed around before the incident with Hamlin   I give the Bills a 30% chance of winning.  No feet of clay decisions by McD.  Play smart football (no boneheaded penalties).  Be aggressive on both sides of the ball.  The Defense will have to limit Burrow's effectiveness which is a tall order.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No. The Bills defense is not in position without two of its best 3 players to win us games against the best teams. If the Bills can keep Cincy below 30 that would be a huge win. Realistically these big games are going to have to be won by the offense. 

The Bills D has played well vs Tyrod and Baker for the most part. They sucked against the Patriots and that was largely on McDermott's gameplan IMO. But they simply don't have the horses at the moment to hold the Bengals. 

The rest of the way the offense will have to carry is in the heavyweight matchups. They are the ones under the microscope IMO.

Games like this usually come down to a few plays.  Can we create a couple turnovers?  Can we not turn the ball over?  Can we punch it in in the RZ?  Can we prevent them from doing so?  Who's kicker makes all their kicks, and who's kicker misses?  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

But that's the problem with Elam.  It seems he no longer has those skills for some reason.  He seemed to be reasonably good last year but this year when he is locked on a receiver he either gets roasted or called for holding/pi...and when in zone looks out of place and lost.  Not sure why he regressed but it certainly looks like he has.

5 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

But that's the problem with Elam.  It seems he no longer has those skills for some reason.  He seemed to be reasonably good last year but this year when he is locked on a receiver he either gets roasted or called for holding/pi...and when in zone looks out of place and lost.  Not sure why he regressed but it certainly looks like he has.

You really feel he has “man skills” after Calvin Ridley are him up!?

sheesh people need to let elam go

he was a very Bad miss

21 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I'd say 90% probably don't.  They see some highlights one week of a team that looks great and scores a ton and then think that's how they are every week.  The NFL doesn't work like that.  Never has, never will.  It's a week to week league with very little carryover from games one week to games the next week. Injuries, matchups, schemes, etc are all different week to week. 

Thinking one team should do "X" because they  did that to some other team and thinking that will carry over to the next game doesn't make much sense.

And for all the Bengal skill position players, they always seem to leave you thinking they should score far more points than they actually do.

Edited by Big Turk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.