Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Right, and like I said, with help from 2 TOs leading to 10 points and otherwise the game being played comparably on both sides, actually with Miami playing more balanced offense even.  .

"If the Bills didn't do things that make you win football games and the Dolphins didn't do things that make you lose football games, maybe the outcome could have been different"

A four score game is a four score game man, and the Bills could have scored more if they needed to. There is zero need to qualify what the Bills did against Miami. They obliterated them. This sort of analysis is far more useful in CLOSE games, like the Bills' losses, but somehow I think you'd object to someone doing that.

14 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

What Miami game did you watch? After their first 2 drives they did absolutely nothing and the Bills basically put up 50 on them

My bad.  

The NFL Gamebook must be wrong then.  It says that MIami had 222 yards and 11 1st-Downs in the second half. 

I'll telly Roger in the morning and have him correct that.  

;) 

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

I'm actually comfortable making it as a wild-card this season.  

Takes the pressure off, and gets rid of this notion that we need the #1 seed to beat KC thereby putting all kinds of pressure on ourselves during the season.  IMO there's a lot of mental wear-n-tear that goes alongside that.  

Would like to see how we perform as dogs in the playoffs and hope we can get a hot streak after getting in as the 6th or 7th seed.  Hell, we haven't been able to do it as the #2 or #3 seed.  

The wild card path is intriguing this year, especially if you can snag a 5 and hope for another upset. There could be feasible super bowl paths that take you through a grab bag of @ Jax, @ Miami, @ Baltimore and avoiding KC altogether. 

Just now, PBF81 said:

My bad.  

The NFL Gamebook must be wrong then.  It says that MIami had 222 yards and 11 1st-Downs in the second half. 

I'll telly Roger in the morning and have him correct that.  

;) 

More than half of that was garbage time when down 4 scores lol

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

A loss to Cinci isn't nearly as big of a deal to me as a competitive effort. I don't care if its a slugfest or a shootout, I just want us to not look like a class below (again).

I hear ya, but we can't have 9 more "competitive efforts" and go 2-7.  :)  

Some of those competitive efforts need to result in wins, and some of those in division and conference games at this point.  

I never for an instant thought that there'd be a chance we'd go 0-2 against either NE or the Jets w/ Wilson at QB.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Be interesting to see if we bring anyone in at the deadline to help on D.

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We got to...at least a decent DT at the very least...

We are strapped around $5 mill cap space or less.  Who are the Bills going to dangle as trade bait along with picks.  Elam & picks.  I can't see the demand for Elam before the trade deadline.  He might be used to sweeten a deal but nothing more.  Any one that we bring in is doubtful to be in this game vs Cinci.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

I hear ya, but we can't have 9 more "competitive efforts" and go 2-7.  :)  

Some of those competitive efforts need to result in wins, and some of those in division and conference games at this point.  

I never for an instant thought that there'd be a chance we'd go 0-2 against either NE or the Jets w/ Wilson at QB.  

Agreed, but if we can't even be competitive, the chance of winning any of the others drops dramatically.

Some of these teams look beateable against other top teams, we have to start playing like the top teams.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Did you think the Miami game was a poorly coached effort?

I'm trying to figure out where that question came from.  

It's entirely out of context with anything that I wrote.  

The entire point is that two TOs setting us up for 10 points all but inside Miami's Red Zone gave us that decisive win, with both teams putting up similar yards and performance otherwise.  

The primary point is that Miami's the only team that doesn't currently have a losing record and a negative point-differential, that we've beaten.  

That's it.  Really.  

7 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

"If the Bills didn't do things that make you win football games and the Dolphins didn't do things that make you lose football games, maybe the outcome could have been different"

A four score game is a four score game man, and the Bills could have scored more if they needed to. There is zero need to qualify what the Bills did against Miami. They obliterated them. This sort of analysis is far more useful in CLOSE games, like the Bills' losses, but somehow I think you'd object to someone doing that.

Relying on TOs is not a recipe for playoff success.  

Plain and simple.  

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I

Relying on TOs is not a recipe for playoff success.  

Plain and simple.  

Lol, neither is committing them

Do you need a 6 score win over Miami for it to be legitimate then, if you get 2 turnovers? Legitimate is the wrong word, but 'not needing any qualifiers' ? 

Edited by Franco_92
  • Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

We are strapped around $5 mill cap space or less.  Who are the Bills going to dangle as trade bait along with picks.  Elam & picks.  I can't see the demand for Elam before the trade deadline.  He might be used to sweeten a deal but nothing more.  Any one that we bring in is doubtful to be in this game vs Cinci.

Agreed, Elam will be a throw in for any potential deal. 

43 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Trolls? 

We should also have easily been able to beat the Jets sans Rodgers, New England with Mac Jones, and the Giants with a plate full of slop there.  We lost two of those games and barely beat the third, and didn't play like we should have.   

I'm not sure it's possible to troll in that regard at this point.  

The only team with a postive Point-Differential and a record better than 3-4 that we've beaten is Miami, and they played  us comparably and apart from two TOs could just as easily have won that game.  

What?!? The length people go to to complain. This one is a doozie. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Right, and like I said, with help from 2 TOs leading to 10 points and otherwise the game being played comparably on both sides, actually with Miami playing more balanced offense even.  

Think what you want, not trying to change your mind.  But fine, it was a blowout.  Still, our only great win over a team that has a reasonable chance at making the playoffs.  Again, we tend to get up for our home opener and any big home games in September under McD.  Then we seem to level off, and "leveled off" is where we seem to be now in a steady-state.  

Given our last four games, averaging not even 21 PPG, I don't know how it's possible to troll in the context of the post I responded to.  It wasn't directed at me, just sayin'.  

We're hardly playing inspiring football in our steady-state status.  

They scored on their first drive of the second half and then didn't the rest of the game.

16 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

Lol, neither is committing them

Do you need a 6 score win over Miami for it to be legitimate then, if you get 2 turnovers? Legitimate is the wrong word, but 'not needing any qualifiers' ? 

We can discuss a hundred things that are unrelated to the initial point.  

:)  

20 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Keep an eye out for LB Josey Jewell and/or CB Mike Purcell.  According to former GM Randy Mueller “neither has an exorbitant salary, so they should fit in under a tighter cap. I would make either or both of these deals in a heartbeat. I’m not sure that the Bills couldn’t acquire them both for a fourth- or fifth-round pick.”

6 minutes ago, Dopey said:

What?!? The length people go to to complain. This one is a doozie. 

OK, since it's so taxing for you, forget that game.  

Apparently you think that beating a 3-5, two 3-4, and one 2-6 team, none of which have positive point-differentials, is a positive.  

That's fine, someone's gotta think that I suppose.  

Anyway, that was the primary point.  If you want to extrapolate an entire season on one win, feel free.  It's not in my wheelhouse of competent analysis to do that.  

:) 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.