Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

The Bengals match up well against the Bills. Burrow is fine with a 15 play 75 yard drive for a touchdown. He won't force that hero pass. Mixon is a violent runner (person) who can hurt our poor tackling. It's a prime time road game.

But the game is more than winnable if the right Bills show up all week.

We have the mini bye. We needed it to get healthier and game plan.

McD needs to get creative defensively even with a depleted defense. Throw a lot of looks at burrow

Von needs to get to burrow. His speed can disrupt that timing. It might not be fair to him to expect that but he has to do it 

Floyd AJ GR also have to pressure Burrow. If you can pressure for 4 (or even 3) you will get it done

The safeties have to be all over the place

Let's see hero Josh. You don't win this one playing conservative offensively 

28 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

We can only hope.  Issues are however still there.  Up tempo, but still only 24 points.  

What however has you feeling positive about the defense?

Would have been a few more points if not for a couple of stupid play calls.

Mini bye I think was really needed for the D and a little more time to plan.

I know I’m not optimistic

that bengals offense is clicking and their defense was flying to th ball better than past weeks

the good teams seem to improve as things go along like the bengals but for some reason we can’t seem to get it together 

idk I wish I was somewhat optimistic but I’m not at all

I’m a huge bills fan but I hope I’m wrong but I see the first blowout in the regular season since what? 2020?

10-14 point loss at least coming up boys.  Our boys just are not performing.  At all

just what I’ve been watching leads me to feel this way.  Our defense will not stop a single thing - burrow around like 28-32 again sounds legit.

im considering not watching this one just stinks of a blowout emotionally devastating night 

whatever it’s football I guess but damn I don’t like it 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Here's the way I see it. It better rise up. And I don't want to hear about injuries either. 

For the most part I have been a pretty steady supporter of McDermott as a coach. I don't always like what he does but I see the logic behind it most times.

However he is a HC (now DC as well) with an extensive background on the defensive side of the ball. He really should be able to scheme up a gameplan to work around the talent he's missing. 

DCs do this on a weekly basis. Just take a look at the team we are playing this week. Cincinnati has never had the most talent on defense...but they have a DC that can work around it. Take a look at when the Patriots and Bills just played. They were down Judon, down Uche and STILL managed a pass rush. They have had patchwork DB play and were missing their excellent rookie CB...still did well in coverage.

This stretch right here is "put up or shut up" time for McDermott. No Leslie Frazier calling the plays. He's got to come up with something that works. Time to see what Sean can bring to the table as a defensive mind. I have faith he'll have something good on tap. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This is the biggest game of the year (unless they are within 1 of the Dolphins on January 7). This feels like the days of the drought Bills going into New England for some reason. A win and they are still within 1 of Miami and some easier games coming up. A loss and they most certainly will have to beat both KC, Chargers and then split with Dallas/Philly. 

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

After Tyrod, Mac & Baker and what has been meh performances (and I'll throw in allowing Jax putting up 500 yards on the Bills defense), this week will tell a lot.

The offense should carry a big chip on their shoulder from last January and better put up 30+ and be aggressive (i.e. 4th downs <5 inside the oppositions territory), because I don't see the defense being able to stop Burrow.

Hope I'm wrong as this game is big. 

This team hasn't shown up since Miami.  With how Cincinnati has come on esp. Yesterday, it's easily going to look as bad as it did in January.

Can anything happen, sure. Will it? Looking at cold had facts...no.

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. The Bills defense is not in position without two of its best 3 players to win us games against the best teams. If the Bills can keep Cincy below 30 that would be a huge win. Realistically these big games are going to have to be won by the offense. 

The Bills D has played well vs Tyrod and Baker for the most part. They sucked against the Patriots and that was largely on McDermott's gameplan IMO. But they simply don't have the horses at the moment to hold the Bengals. 

The rest of the way the offense will have to carry is in the heavyweight matchups. They are the ones under the microscope IMO.

Any prayer the rest of the season means beane needs to swing a couple trades to upgrade the offense today. 

9 hours ago, kkim0904 said:

Our Defense is not strength against Cincinnati.  The offense needs to step up.  This game will be a shoot out like Miami game. 

Just curious, I wonder how many days out of those 10 the players had off/will have off? Did they do anything yesterday or Saturday, or were they off to play golf and go clubbing with their Hollywood girlfriends? 🤔😂

Edit: I hit the wrong button and replied to the wrong post. This post is replying to the one that said that the Bills will have had 10 days to prepare for this game.

Edited by Bob Jones
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

This team hasn't shown up since Miami.  With how Cincinnati has come on esp. Yesterday, it's easily going to look as bad as it did in January.

Can anything happen, sure. Will it? Looking at cold had facts...no.

I'm not as pessimistic, but this is where we are with the Bills.  They are an elite team and frankly the excuses from some here get tired after a while.

The issue hasn't changed with the defense.  They allow teams back in the game and way too often too many 3rd and 4th downs converted and soft coverages.  

What really bothers me is the over-reactions when they make a stop on 2nd down and act as if they just got off the field and then lo and behold, the opposition converts on 3rd (or 4th). 

McD (and his disciples here) go on about his defense and frankly they are mediocre (or much worse) when games are on the line. 

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. The Bills defense is not in position without two of its best 3 players to win us games against the best teams. If the Bills can keep Cincy below 30 that would be a huge win. Realistically these big games are going to have to be won by the offense. 

The Bills D has played well vs Tyrod and Baker for the most part. They sucked against the Patriots and that was largely on McDermott's gameplan IMO. But they simply don't have the horses at the moment to hold the Bengals. 

The rest of the way the offense will have to carry is in the heavyweight matchups. They are the ones under the microscope IMO.

I'll agree the offense needs to carry them and that means aggressive coaching  on that side of the ball, but quit always making excuses for the defense.  Are they injured yes, but then it is next man up?  Remember how bad Cincy's OL was coming into the playoff game vs. Buffalo and they manhandled them.

We should expect the same from McD of the defensive side of the ball.

Of course I'll be thrilled with a 38-35 victory and complaining about the defense next week.😜🤣 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, nucci said:

That's not really a thing

yeah, it is. This team often plays up (and down) to its opponents. They will be clicking and their intensity will be through the roof. This coaching staff also has a great track record of adjustments after a team gets us good.

Good luck if the Bengals are going to try to rush 3 or 4, and play contain again.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

yeah, it is. This team often plays up (and down) to its opponents. They will be clicking and their intensity will be through the roof. This coaching staff also has a great track record of adjustments after a team gets us good.

Good luck if the Bengals are going to try to rush 3 or 4, and play contain again.

ok. 

7 hours ago, Success said:

I'm kind of glad we didn't get Cincy when they were struggling.  We are pretty evenly matched w/ that team.

A big win next week could set the tone for a run in the home stretch.  The Bengals at the top of their game are better than the Chiefs or Ravens, imo.  If we can beat them on the road, in prime time, it would be pretty exciting.  Optimism would reign here once again.

I feel you might be too optimistic about optimism reigning here once again

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'll agree the offense needs to carry them and that means aggressive coaching  on that side of the ball, but quit always making excuses for the defense.  Are they injured yes, but then it is next man up?  Remember how bad Cincy's OL was coming into the playoff game vs. Buffalo and they manhandled them.

We should expect the same from McD of the defensive side of the ball.

Of course I'll be thrilled with a 38-35 victory and complaining about the defense next week.😜🤣 

Next man up is nice coach speak but it isn't the reality in the NFL when you lose elite level players. The Bills have three guys who have been first team all pros on defense with this team. Poyer, Tre and Milano. When you lose two guys of that level you can't just "next man up" and on you roll. It isn't true of the Bills defense any more than it is true of the 49ers offense who have the best offensive play designer in the league (and maybe ever) and were 5-0 and scoring 33 points per game. They lost two 1st team all pros in Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel and suddenly...... lost three on the bounce scoring 17 each time and none of the teams that beat them went into those games with winning records. 

In the NFL it is hard enough replacing starters with backups. But when you have to replace your best starters with backups, it's over. The league is designed in that way - to have that parity. You can't have a Manchester City or Real Madrid bench of stars in the NFL.  

That doesn't mean I won't criticise the defense when they play poorly comparable to what they have - I was VERY vocal about their failings against New England - both play calling and execution up front. I was highly critical of two stupid discipline errors that extended the final Buccs drive on Thursday totally needlessly and made that game look closer than it was. But I won't criticise the defense if the Benglas offense which is one of the best in the league and is humming now Burrow is healthy scores 30+ next weekend. Because at the moment their offensive talent >>> our defensive talent. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.