The Bills are Going to Miss the Playoffs

DapperCam

17 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

As the ball was hitting the turf 4 yards away, yes, he spun around. it was very late with zero time to track despite the ball hanging in the air longer than a typical hail mary, because his primary job down there wasn't the same as Evans', like I said. Here is an ex-NFL quarterback explaining the play, and why "he's so late to turn around" "his job is to really be looking at one of these guys (evans and the other wr)" and get ready for the deflection. 

https://x.com/danorlovsky7/status/1717929916820226558?s=20

Dude look at the video, he very clearly turned all the way around well before “the ball hit the turf 4 yards away.”  If you can’t acknowledge that then it’s not worth even discussing any further.  Whether Orlovsky is right or not, Godwin turned to look and catch the ball.  At least you acknowledged he did in fact turn around, regardless of “what his job was.”  You jumped in to ask why he would turn around to begin with, then you answered your own question, so thanks for that.

HailMary Medium.jpeg

Edited by HurlyBurly51
update

8 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Dude look at the video, he very clearly turned all the way around well before “the ball hit the turf 4 yards away.”  If you can’t acknowledge that then it’s not worth even discussing any further.  Whether Orlovsky is right or not, Godwin turned to look and catch the ball.  At least you acknowledged he did in fact turn around, regardless of “what his job was.”  You jumped in to ask why he would turn around to begin with, then you answered your own question, so thanks for that.

Let's take this thing back to the reason I jumped in in the first place. You attempted to imply that the Bills were "lucky" that Godwin didn't "turn around" and that we would have lost had he just had the wherewithal to do so. That we should have lost had a receiver just turned around. But according to everyone who has broken down the play, his job is NOT TO TURN AROUND, which is why he was way too late to turn around in real time, do you know how long it takes to track a ball and move to catch it? Go to the frame by frame, and that was never an option, it was never possible, because he was staring at the two jump ball receivers as long as he could. THOSE receivers were staring at the ball. Your initial point was ret@rded is all I was trying to say. Hindsight garbage. 

Just now, Franco_92 said:

Let's take this thing back to the reason I jumped in in the first place. You attempted to imply that the Bills were "lucky" that Godwin didn't "turn around" and that we would have lost had he just had the wherewithal to do so. That we should have lost had a receiver just turned around. But according to everyone who has broken down the play, his job is NOT TO TURN AROUND, which is why he was way too late to turn around in real time, do you know how long it takes to track a ball and move to catch it? Go to the frame by frame, and that was never an option, it was never possible, because he was staring at the two jump ball receivers as long as he could. THOSE receivers were staring at the ball. Your initial point was ret@rded is all I was trying to say. Hindsight garbage. 

He is completely turned around and looking for the ball, and while it may be hard to see in this screenshot the ball is coming down in front of him, it appears to be about 12 feet in the air as he's looking up to try and track the ball.  So if his job is to NOT TURN AROUND he failed.  What is dumb, and thanks for your derogatory slur, is blindly following what some analyst saying what his job was and ignoring actual video evidence to the contrary.  Good day, the term you used is disgusting and not OK and I won't engage with that.

HailMary Medium.jpeg

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

The margin of error is pretty slim. We need to go 5-4 the rest of the way and we have a hard schedule (3rd most difficult remaining schedule).

I think we either need to win the next 3 games or Miami has to start losing some games to make it (Miami has the 4th most difficult remaining schedule).

If they can’t go 5-4, then who cares?  

42 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

Why are you breaking down how the Bills could have possibly lost on a Hail Mary?  The Bills won, and it would have taken a literal Hail Mary to beat them.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Have you seen Western New York sports history of the four majors and college sports always something goes wrong. From the Bonnies Bob Lanier hurting his knee against Villanova not being able to play in the NCAA final four, to the Braves losing with no time on the clock to the Boston Celtics to the Sabres losing to the Philadelphia Flyers to the Bills losing 4 Straight Super Bowls to the Sabres no goal against the Dallas Stars to the Bills losing in home run throwback against the Tennessee Titans to the Bills 13 seconds against the Kansas City Chiefs doesn’t give a Western New York sports fans a lot of confidence over the years in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

don’t forget 4 of our starting 6 defensemen out for Game 7 against the Hurricanes in the ‘06 ECFs :(

(Very little doubt if we won that game we would’ve gone on to win the Stanley Cup over Edmonton)

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Have you seen Western New York sports history of the four majors and college sports always something goes wrong. From the Bonnies Bob Lanier hurting his knee against Villanova not being able to play in the NCAA final four, to the Braves losing with no time on the clock to the Boston Celtics to the Sabres losing to the Philadelphia Flyers to the Bills losing 4 Straight Super Bowls to the Sabres no goal against the Dallas Stars to the Bills losing in home run throwback against the Tennessee Titans to the Bills 13 seconds against the Kansas City Chiefs doesn’t give a Western New York sports fans a lot of confidence over the years in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Go Bonnies

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Do you really live your life on nearly and almost

Sure seems like it

We feed the trolls too much around here. Send them back under their bridges. Ignore is your best friend.

And I suspect strongly that FilthyBeast has at least 10 IDs.

Edited by Rat-boy

49 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The thing is that Baker's job was to get the ball to that bunch in the middle of the EZ and he doesn't have the arm to get it there. If that was a close Hail Mary, then every Hail Mary is close. 

Believe it or not, Baker has one of the strongest arms in the league. He's not very accurate with it, but he is in the top 5 of the league when it comes to arm strength. When he and Josh cam into the league, they said he was second to Josh in distance thrown. And LJ was right there too. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I was surprised when I read it. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Believe it or not, Baker has one of the strongest arms in the league. He's not very accurate with it, but he is in the top 5 of the league when it comes to arm strength. When he and Josh cam into the league, they said he was second to Josh in distance thrown. And LJ was right there too. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I was surprised when I read it. 

https://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-NFL-Combine-2008-2017/10243/dh/

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BadboyBills said:

Then get Hopkins no? This BS about vet players that can't learn a new D in season is just that, bs. #1 corner, follow other teams best wr. OLB, follow ball, hit the carrier. I doubt Milano comes back maybe Jones. I'm not willing to bet the season on maybe, besides it's time for the front office to send a message that we're serious about winning.

I’m all for the Bills adding a WR for the stretch run. The D is probably too banged up to carry the team, and besides their best player / side is on offense. They’ll go as far as they will let Allen take them. It does appear that Beane is looking at adding a quality CB. This is a smart move as it wouldn’t just be a rental. They need a starting CB going forward as White can no longer be counted on to return to his pro bowl form. Achilles injuries aren’t easily overcome. 

On 10/22/2023 at 5:53 PM, DapperCam said:

The more I look at it, the more I'm pretty sure we are going to miss the playoffs.

10-7 might make the wild card (also could miss on a tie breaker). So we have 4 losses left we can take. Here is our remaining schedule:

Tampa - Thursday Night Football is weird and sloppy. Tampa is better than the Pats and the Giants.
@ Cinci - Bengals had our number last year, they haven't played great so far
Denver - *Should* be a comfortable win
Jets - Already beat us once. Jets D has Allen's number.
@ Philly - 5-1 and Super Bowl team
@ KC - 5-1 and Super Bowl winners
Dallas - 4-2 team, very tough defense
@ Chargers - West coast road trips are rough, team has similar talent to Bills
Pats - Well, we just lost to them, so we can probably lose to them again
@ Miami - 5-1 team, we were able to beat them once (with a fully healthy defense though)

Games we should definitely win:
- Tampa

- Denver

Games that are toss ups:
- Cinci

- Chargers

- Jets

- Pats

- Miami

Games where the other team should be favored:

- Philly

- KC

- Dallas

Not a lot of room for error here! 😬😬😬😬😬

Didn't you hear?? The Bills signed "Playoff" Lenny to the PS. So your theory is MOOT!! Better yet "Lombardi" Lenny just might get them to the SB😎

12 hours ago, BadboyBills said:

That's why I've been saying get Jaylon from the Bears the last few weeks. No telling what shape Tre will be in physically and mentally next season. Our front office needs to be more ruthless. Besides, maybe we release him and he possibly comes back on a prove it 1 year contract.

Welp they reportedly tried very hard to do just that…Chicago’s front office makes no sense though and they were asking for a ton

theyre gonna lose him and get nothing in return 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Other AFC teams currently making the playoffs after us - Steelers, Browns

If you spent any time watching either team this year, you know it’s worse football than Buffalo. And now Pickett is hurt. 

This board seems to often confuse having to be the number one most dominant destructive force, with like the 4th best, when it comes to the playoffs. The AFC North is going to be an absolute battle that will cannibalize at least one good playoff team and keep the window open even if we did continue messing around. We’re like a 75% playoff team right now, some of the takes here are insane.

Edited by Nelius
  • Haha (+1) 1

Updated the original post. We have 3 available losses left. 9-8 isn’t going to do it. The Bills will have to pull off something like this schedule or it’s over folks:

Denver - W
Jets - W
@ Philly - L
@ KC - L
Dallas - L
@ Chargers - W
Pats - W
@ Miami - W

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DapperCam said:

Updated the original post. We have 3 available losses left. 9-8 isn’t going to do it. The Bills will have to pull off something like this schedule or it’s over folks:

Denver - W
Jets - W
@ Philly - L
@ KC - L
Dallas - L
@ Chargers - W
Pats - W
@ Miami - W

Wooooo hooo!! Heck to the yeah fam!

Humble and hungry. Trust the process right? Year 7 and we are improving. Super Bowl here we come. Thanks Sean!

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

Denver - W
Jets - W
@ Philly - L
@ KC - L
Dallas - L
@ Chargers - W
Pats - W
@ Miami - W

Yep, we need to somehow go 5-3.  But, let's be realistic, with our D completely shot for the year, maybe we should just get those draft picks.  I guess we can wait and see if we come to play against the Broncos.  If we lose there, then we might as well tank.

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

Denver - W
Jets - W
@ Philly - L
@ KC - L
Dallas - L
@ Chargers - W
Pats - W
@ Miami - W

That Miami game will dictate our playoff chances.  Losing Tre, Matt & DQ destroyed us. Throw in garbage coaches and I have little expectations for us this season.

I honestly think they’re not going to make the playoffs.

There aren’t enough difference makers on this team.

When fully functional they are a team that the sum of the parts is greater than the individual but they’re beaten and battered. The team is getting old and it shows. They need to rebuild this team to a point with younger faster players who are riskier than settling for players in the draft with higher floors but less star potential 

6 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Denver - W
Jets - W
@ Philly - L
@ KC - L
Dallas - L
@ Chargers - W
Pats - W
@ Miami - W

We might lose to Denver.  Jets seem to have our number as well.  I think we end up with 9 wins max but 8 seems more likely with the schedule remaining.

On 11/1/2023 at 12:28 AM, Nelius said:

Other AFC teams currently making the playoffs after us - Steelers, Browns

If you spent any time watching either team this year, you know it’s worse football than Buffalo. And now Pickett is hurt. 

This board seems to often confuse having to be the number one most dominant destructive force, with like the 4th best, when it comes to the playoffs. The AFC North is going to be an absolute battle that will cannibalize at least one good playoff team and keep the window open even if we did continue messing around. We’re like a 75% playoff team right now, some of the takes here are insane.

It dropped to 49 percent. We aren’t getting in. There’s maybe 2 more wins on our schedule.

9 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Denver - W
Jets - W
@ Philly - L
@ KC - L
Dallas - L
@ Chargers - W
Pats - W
@ Miami - W

Thats so encouraging.  other teams suck even more!  

KC, Jax, Balt- one of those teams will likely win the AFC

16 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Denver - W
Jets - W
@ Philly - L
@ KC - L
Dallas - L
@ Chargers - W
Pats - W
@ Miami - W

Seems to me that you could do the same with the dolphins. Dont be such a downer.

Dolphins

Raiders - W

Jets - L

Commanders - W

Titans - W

Jets - W

Cowboys - L

Ravens - L

Bills - L

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.