The Bills are Going to Miss the Playoffs

DapperCam

1 minute ago, Negan said:

I'm not seeing playoffs this year, no offense no defense.

Finish 7-10

and seemingly zero desire.  honestly it's Diggs and Phillips. everyone else seems to barely been going through the motions

I've been managing teams (not sports, tech professionals) for 20+ years now and I can see when a team is done and needs to be reorganized/surplussed

The Bills are 100% in this category now.  They need a shock to the system and something to motivate them.  Unfortunately extrinsic motivation is an extremely poor substitute for intrinsic, which means the process isn't working

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, SaulGoodman said:

Tampa - classic Bills run up the score game

@ Cincy - Bills probably pull it out due to "revenge" factor

Denver - possibly another Bills' run-up-the-score special, but I think it may be closer than expected

Jets - likely a Bills win, but....there's also a chance that the Jets pressure Allen into numerous mistakes per usual

@ Philly - L

@ KC - L

Dallas - close L

@ LAC - L

Patriots - Bills get off the schneid with a run-up-the-score special

@ Miami - Dolphins feast on Buffalo's depleted defense this time and get revenge

9-8

Run up the score, love hearing that. Someone said it before the Giants and Patriots games too ....... i doubt this team runs any up anytime soon. 

11 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Yea, I think 9-8 is realistic.

my prediction is that they get that record in the worst possible way; beating teams they aren't supposed to beat, at least one or two, and dropping every single game where we are favored.  they'll become the money line bettor's best friend

also they screwed me on my survivor pool this week and for that they can never be forgiven

This thread is the ultimate hot take - I think every fanbase gets like this during a swoon, but it doesn't make the sentiment more valid. It's more emotion than reality..

We have as much chance of running the table as we do of missing the playoffs.  I have no idea which way it will go.  But no one does at this point.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Success said:

This thread is the ultimate hot take - I think every fanbase gets like this during a swoon, but it doesn't make the sentiment more valid. It's more emotion than reality..

We have as much chance of running the table as we do of missing the playoffs.  I have no idea which way it will go.  But no one does at this point.

A hot take would be saying we need to trade Josh Allen, or fire everybody.

Looking at our current results, and upcoming schedule and thinking we may miss the playoffs by a game (or tie breaker) is not a hot take at all.

• Agree 1

I am usually an optimist, but I think the injuries on defense are too much to overcome.  Maybe our offense shows better in some games going forward, but it is not consistent enough to outweigh a weakened defense in all games, particularly since we will be facing the tougher part of our schedule.

I'm being a realist. Not a test of my fanhood...I'll still watch and root for the team. But no longer building my entire weekend around these games.

The injuries and the the way the team is playing are certainly a factor, and the optimist in me even cn see a chance at improvment.

But no matter how well they play, the bell cannot be un rung. 3 Conference and 2 Division losses this early really hurts and cannot be undone. Being on the wrong end of tiebreakers is a very deep hole. It's too early to say Bills need a lot of help...but they need a lot of help from other teams from here on and it's only October

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

I am usually an optimist, but I think the injuries on defense are too much to overcome.  Maybe our offense shows better in some games going forward, but it is not consistent enough to outweigh a weakened defense in all games, particularly since we will be facing the tougher part of our schedule.

Same, unfortunately for me the Super Bowl went out the window after Jax.  I felt the same way last year with the injuries.  Wish I didn't feel like that but it is what it is

Okay…The NYT Playoff simulator is up and gives us a 96% chance to make the playoffs with the following results.

Wins

- at Bengals

- Broncos

- Jets

- at Chargers

- Patriots

Losses
- at Eagles

- at Chiefs

- Cowboys

- at Dolphins

Dropping any of the games in the wins column drops our chances considerably. 9-8 doesn’t seem like it is going to cut it. We really need to get 5 more wins, and the AFC games are a lot more important than the 2 remaining NFC games.

That’s right, bail at the first sign of turbulence. Every team has dips in performance during a 17 game season, especially after experiencing devastating injuries. The Bills are primed to play better after their mini bye. Their uptempo, no huddle offense will expose many defenses with the perfect QB for running it. Compare the incredible success Kelly had with it and put a more mobile, stronger armed QB at the helm. The defense needs a LB and another corner in the worst way. If we come out with a big defensive performance against Cinn, I dare any of you woe is me naysayers to doubt this team. Even if they lose that game, 10 and 7 is their worst case minimum record.

8 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Okay…The NYT Playoff simulator is up and gives us a 96% chance to make the playoffs with the following results.

Wins

- at Bengals

- Broncos

- Jets

- at Chargers

- Patriots

Losses
- at Eagles

- at Chiefs

- Cowboys

- at Dolphins

Dropping any of the games in the wins column drops our chances considerably. 9-8 doesn’t seem like it is going to cut it. We really need to get 5 more wins, and the AFC games are a lot more important than the 2 remaining NFC games.

Thanks for sharing this. When you think about it if the Bills can’t get through that schedule does anyone really think they deserve to make the playoffs? I mean if we can’t beat any of those ‘elite’ teams in the regular season what makes anyone think we’re going to beat them in the playoffs? If you can’t, take your lumps in 2023 and then make some hard decisions for 2024. 

• Like (+1) 1

I love those up lifting realist threads, they make my heart bark soft…,

On 10/24/2023 at 11:47 AM, SaulGoodman said:

I'm not a Bills fan, but I think people are being a little too emotional. It's hard to see them finishing with a losing record. 

Lots of overly emotional takes on here these days…it wouldn’t be terribly surprising to see a 9-8 team sneak in the playoffs this year,10-7 is more likely than not in.  There’s also a good chance 10-7 wins the division too depending on who the wins come against. 

I think people aren’t giving any credence to the fact that division games are pretty tough and the Brian Daboll giants was virtually a division game with how familiar he is with our team.  So this whole attitude of ‘we lost to the pats there’s no way we can beat teams like the bengals and cowboys’ is not sound logic.  Both those teams have looked just as terrible just as often 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

10 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

I agree, there's a lot of issues. They will be on the edge but miss.

Hard decisions to make next season.

For the ‘bills miss’ crowd, who are your 3 wildcard teams? I think this is a lot of doomsaying without much critical thought honestly.  Right now we are the 7 seed and the 5-6 is pit and Cleveland.  Do you expect them to stay there? Then trailing us is Houston,NYJ, and cincy. I’ll give cincy the benefit of the doubt especially since they got lucky with purdy out today but one of pit/Cleveland is undoubtedly going to fall off if not both

i wanna see some people on record with their silly playoff picks 😂. Bills are probably 75-80% gonna make it right now.  If we beat cincy next week I don’t really see a path to us missing 

12 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

10-7 with two wins over Miami likely wins the division 

Was thinking 11-6 thing dolphins and winning division - whatever we have seen regular season doesn’t matter if you’re not 1st seed 

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

For the ‘bills miss’ crowd, who are your 3 wildcard teams? I think this is a lot of doomsaying without much critical thought honestly.  Right now we are the 7 seed and the 5-6 is pit and Cleveland.  Do you expect them to stay there? Then trailing us is Houston,NYJ, and cincy. I’ll give cincy the benefit of the doubt especially since they got lucky with purdy out today but one of pit/Cleveland is undoubtedly going to fall off if not both

i wanna see some people on record with their silly playoff picks 😂

I see Pitt going back down to earth today losing to jags bad at home

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

i wanna see some people on record with their silly playoff picks 😂. Bills are probably 75-80% gonna make it right now 

Even if they do go into the playoffs, I see any of the other teams doing what the bengals did to them last time. No thanks.

Also I see the bengals clobbering the bills once again next week.

Edited by Unforgiven

Just now, Drew21PA said:

Was thinking 11-6 thing dolphins and winning division - whatever we have seen regular season doesn’t matter if you’re not 1st seed 

Thats a negative opinion that I wouldn’t argue for sure…playoffs would be an uphill battle unless we got one of jones/Milano back. I don’t think people are realizing how bold a prediction the bills missing the playoffs is in this thread though 😂. Bengals are in a 1.5 game hole and have to play us head to head, chargers are bad, the two divisional opponents we lost to don’t seem like they’re gonna be serious competitors.  All the wildcard competition is in the AFC north and all those teams have to play eachother multiple times 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

For the ‘bills miss’ crowd, who are your 3 wildcard teams? I think this is a lot of doomsaying without much critical thought honestly.  Right now we are the 7 seed and the 5-6 is pit and Cleveland.  Do you expect them to stay there?

Pittsburgh yes, Cleveland no.

The Bills are as likely to go on a run and lock up home field advantage as they are to miss the playoffs.  In 2020 TB was 7 - 5 before going on a SB winning run that included winning all 3 ROAD playoff games.  The 2021 Bills were 7 - 6 and thought dead before going on a run that likely would have seen them in the SB had "13 seconds" not happened.  

Take it one game at a time.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’ll give cincy the benefit of the doubt especially since they got lucky with purdy out today but one of pit/Cleveland is undoubtedly going to fall off if not both

i wanna see some people on record with their silly playoff picks 😂. Bills are probably 75-80% gonna make it right now 

Purdy is starting. Cleared concussion protocol yesterday. I also have to give the Bengals the benefit of the doubt but their remaining schedule is brutal. The Bills game next week is probably a must win for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Thats a negative opinion that I wouldn’t argue for sure…playoffs would be an uphill battle unless we got one of jones/Milano back. I don’t think people are realizing how bold a prediction the bills missing the playoffs is in this thread though 😂. Bengals are in a 1.5 game hole and have to play us head to head, chargers are bad, the two divisional opponents we lost to don’t seem like they’re gonna be serious competitors.  All the wildcard competition is in the AFC north and all those teams have to play eachother multiple times 

Agree completely 

eh idk about the uphill part - offense is still in tact and well - we had our slump so MAYBE we start rolling into the playoffs to be a high power offense we know we can be

really the defense had played admirably considering - they really have

mike Evan’s and Chris Godwin are no slouch

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Even if they do go into the playoffs, I see any of the other teams doing what the bengals did to them last time. No thanks.

Also I see the bengals clobbering the bills once again next week.

First sentence could be true but I genuinely don’t get the final remark.  We looked bad in some games so we don’t have a chance against the bengals? Have the bengals not looked bad in some games?  I think that’s a tossup at worst especially with the additional prep time and cincy having to make it through a game with no additional injuries still. 

This is not the same bengals team as last year,  they honestly haven’t looked any better than the bucs so far.  Tons of offensive potential and maybe as burrow gets healthier they come closer to reaching it but that defense has taken a big step backwards.  We do this thing where we give our opponents that we beat 0 credit but the bucs defense is actually solid and objectively better than the bengals 

10 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Purdy is starting. Cleared concussion protocol yesterday. I also have to give the Bengals the benefit of the doubt but their remaining schedule is brutal. The Bills game next week is probably a must win for them. 

Oh nice…bengals are likely done then.  I don’t see us missing the playoffs even if we lose that one.  

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Aged well

He played pretty well…made some superhuman plays to keep drives alive.  I still have no idea how he avoided that basically game ending safety and he drew that late facemask by fighting off that sack… point remains though that the people that said the bucs would torch us were very wrong lol 

That’s what kind of gets me about some of the negative posters around here…they make all these predictions that are wrong then when we don’t win the superbowl they say ‘see I was right all along’ 😂

19 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Pittsburgh yes, Cleveland no.

Who are the two teams that knock the bills out of the 7 seed then?  

On 10/22/2023 at 5:53 PM, DapperCam said:

The more I look at it, the more I'm pretty sure we are going to miss the playoffs.

10-7 might make the wild card (also could miss on a tie breaker). So we have 4 losses left we can take. Here is our remaining schedule:

Tampa - Thursday Night Football is weird and sloppy. Tampa is better than the Pats and the Giants.
@ Cinci - Bengals had our number last year, they haven't played great so far
Denver - *Should* be a comfortable win
Jets - Already beat us once. Jets D has Allen's number.
@ Philly - 5-1 and Super Bowl team
@ KC - 5-1 and Super Bowl winners
Dallas - 4-2 team, very tough defense
@ Chargers - West coast road trips are rough, team has similar talent to Bills
Pats - Well, we just lost to them, so we can probably lose to them again
@ Miami - 5-1 team, we were able to beat them once (with a fully healthy defense though)

Games we should definitely win:
- Tampa

- Denver

Games that are toss ups:
- Cinci

- Chargers

- Jets

- Pats

- Miami

Games where the other team should be favored:

- Philly

- KC

- Dallas

Not a lot of room for error here! 😬😬😬😬😬

I don’t think Dallas will be favored especially here in Buffalo. They are almost as dicey as us at times.

a big one…Cincy.  We can still pull things out, but really need to rack up some afc wins and we have to pull the upset in Ohio. 

Be 8-3 going in to the more difficult window, split those games, beat NE and be 11-5 headed to Florida.  

Will Miami be no better than 12-4?  Let’s hope so. 

If we head there 10-6…hmm…boy.

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I don’t think Dallas will be favored especially here in Buffalo. They are almost as dicey as us at times.

a big one…Cincy.  We can still pull things out, but really need to rack up some afc wins and we have to pull the upset in Ohio. 

Be 8-3 going in to the more difficult window, split those games, beat NE and be 11-5 headed to Florida.  

If cincy loses today I doubt we are the betting underdog next week.  

lol if we’re heading into week 18 at 10-6, who are the 3 better teams eliminating us from playoff contention at 10-7.  Is anyone making these predictions looking at the standings? 😂 there’s little to no chance we miss the playoffs at 10-7 the way things have shook out so far 

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

If we head there 9-7 it will likely be a win and in type game. Hoping that isn’t the case.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.