Andre Reed HoF Ring Stolen in London

BuffaloBillyG

Wow... pretty divided opinions on Reed.  I've never met him and I've never heard how he was viewed personally one way or the other.

All that said... you always have to lock up stuff like this, and in the case of something irreplaceable like a HoF ring, best not to bring it.  Passports always go in the safe unless I know I need it for some reason.  Even mid-scale international hotels have safes for passports.  I find it's less common in the US to have safes but almost ubiquitous in other countries.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Just Jack said:

It's pretty well known that Andre is not fan friendly.  

Disagree on that,  His agent contacted me about making appearance at our annual tailgate.  He came, brought some friends who were former Bills, went to golf tournament on Saturday, heard he was at Jimmy's Old Town Tavern Saturday night and was at annual tailgate which had 500+ people and signed autographs to anyone who asked.

Tailgate-with-Andre-Reed-Charlie-Taylor.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

And while traveling abroad, one's passport should always be on their person as well.  

I don't agree with this advice at all.  If you're pickpocketed, you're SOL.

Hotel safes often have audit logs, and the override code will reset the guest's code... demonstrating that the staff is at fault in case of theft.  If you're truly paranoid and don't trust the guest room safe, leave it at the front desk in their safe.  The odds your passport is stolen in this case is almost nil.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SF Bills Fan said:

People are commenting on Andre not being friendly, but I have met him several times more recently and he was great to me and everyone around. People change and mellow with time and that cocky young guy is long gone. Other guys from that time had bad reps too and now they are different too. 

yep for example our OG hero, Jimbo... Was a complete a$$ in many ways in his early days. Much more so than Andre ever was.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, uticaclub said:

I didn't take it personally when he was a dick to me, still sucks he lost his ring, he was a beast over the middle

To be fair, he was fine to me (had a girl wear my jersey to have him sign it) and listened to me (drunkly ramble) about him being why I played football. 

just know he has a habit of dming women in relationships. But sucks about the ring and he was amazing after the catch. He’s still my hero 😂.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Completely disagree. Maybe when he first retired but from Kelly Camp to the LA game last year, he went above and beyond for the fans. In LA, he came into group’s section at End of Game to take pics and shoot the *****. Also he was so pumped for Bills. 12+83=6. Go Bills 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Rico said:

He’s no OJ.

….that we know of.

…..yet. 

😋

I’d love to be rich, and I’d hate to be famous. Everybody you run into is going to have that moment as their perception of you. Sometimes I might have other things going on and just not be in the mood. But you’re still leaving that as their image of you that they will share with everyone given a chance.  

• Like (+1) 1

Granddaughter ran into him in the Hard Rock bar FL and he had his wife and he let them take pictures of them together.  She said he was very nice.  Funny thing is she didn't even know who he was.  Boyfriend had to tell her.  Also sent his card to him and he signed it and returned it.

I have one story with Andre Reed.

I was at the Bills hotel when they played Dallas at Super Bowl 28.  My dad took me out of school to hangout in the lobby of the hotel.  There were roughly 100 Bills fans of all ages just drinking or hanging out each day.  

I got I believe about 25 autographs in total that day including Ralph Wilson and OJ Simpson.

Andre Reed gets out of the elevator and all the kids notice him.  We follow him to the shoe shine area.  

He sits in the seat and tells all the kids that he's sorry.  He's got to get his shoes cleaned real quick and then has to go to a meeting.  

All the kids left but me.  I didn't budge and just stared at him....I was not going to leave until I got an autograph.

He didn't make eye contact but he knew I was there and then looked up and said "All right, come here real quick so the other kids don't see.  He signed my Bills hat and a sign that said "Lasso them Cowboys".  Then gave me a gentle nudge to get out of here. 

There was two #######s I met.

1. Nate Odomes.  He turned me down 3 times for an autograph.  Twice, I was by myself.

2. Matt Millen was there as well, I guess he was part of the broadcast crew.  I walked up to him, tapped him on the arm when he was checking in the hotel and asked for an autograph.  He took a deep breath and stared at me, then rolled his eyes and said "give me whatever you want me to sign".  I gave him the "Lasso them Cowboys" sign, he signed it and handed it back without looking at me. 

Pete Mezetellars drank coffee and read a book in the lobby every day.

3 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

sad thing is, when people have something bad happen to them, people criticize them as if they should have prevented it somehow....

in this case he's the victim, whether he used the hotel safe or not. I travel all over the world for work, and not every hotel even has a safe, even nice ones. Or they don't work, or they're locked already...plus they're also SMALL. Personally, I've never had anything go missing on me from a hotel room. Obviously since he's a wealthy dude, he's a target for theft.

No one at that hotel would know who he is or how wealthy he is.  They saw a guy flashing jewelry and a big ring.  They marked him.

1 hour ago, sullim4 said:

Hotel safes often have audit logs, and the override code will reset the guest's code... demonstrating that the staff is at fault in case of theft.  If you're truly paranoid and don't trust the guest room safe, leave it at the front desk in their safe.  The odds your passport is stolen in this case is almost nil.

Im guessing that someone breaking into the safe isn't logging their use of the bypass code.

16 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I tailgated with the man and Jonathan Linton and Leonard Smith at the Jets game in 1999... definitely not true. Some people always just want autographs and that's not just what being a fan is. Maybe he had to go to another appearance after? Then some person would have flamesprayed him for being late to their event.

31 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I tailgated with the man and Jonathan Linton and Leonard Smith at the Jets game in 1999... definitely not true. Some people always just want autographs and that's not just what being a fan is. Maybe he had to go to another appearance after? Then some person would have flamesprayed him for being late to their event.

There are quite a number of fans who are there just to get autographs to have items resold.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, sullim4 said:

LOL, you're not supposed to leave it hanging out of your pocket.  I have tac fatigues that I wear and there's no way I can get pickpocketed in those.  Also, a waist belt for under one's shirt, or a lanyard for under one's shirt.  There are a bunch of safeguards.  We've always kept ours with us except with friends or relatives. 

To each his own I suppose.  

If you leave it with the front desk hotel safe, then be sure to get a receipt for exactly what you left with them and when.  

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

There are quite a number of fans who are there just to get autographs to have items resold.

Right.... in this case, it was a kid and I sincerely doubt they would!

I never had any issues with Dre and he was at the Bruce Smith Charity Golf event in Virginia Beach back in the day, same as he was in Orchard Park. I got to meet at the bar Junior Seau, Darryl Talley, Richard Roundtree (in leather smoking a big cigar) and Thurman and TT bought me a beer while he schmoozed with the Hawaiian Tropic girls LMAO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

To be fair, he was fine to me (had a girl wear my jersey to have him sign it) and listened to me (drunkly ramble) about him being why I played football. 

just know he has a habit of dming women in relationships. But sucks about the ring and he was amazing after the catch. He’s still my hero 😂.

LOL YEP! my ex wife (not ex at the time) worked a charity golfing event he was at. she had the coolest pics i was so jealous. pretty obv he wanted to bang her, when your childhood hero wants to bang YOUR wife, thats a pretty high compliment.  now, hes not allowed to do it LOL but didnt bug me he wanted to. I mean I had 3 catches in my HS career for about 7'ish yards (2pt shovel pass in there!) lol i mustve been doing something right

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Interesting. Thanks for this. Was waiting for the guy in the video to say what you need to do in order to make the all 9s NOT work, cuz if your room safe is like the one in the video, I’m pretty sure if you pick up the phone and call the lackey at the front desk, they are not going to be able to remedy the situation.

On 10/12/2023 at 10:45 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

LOL YEP! my ex wife (not ex at the time) worked a charity golfing event he was at. she had the coolest pics i was so jealous. pretty obv he wanted to bang her, when your childhood hero wants to bang YOUR wife, thats a pretty high compliment.  now, hes not allowed to do it LOL but didnt bug me he wanted to. I mean I had 3 catches in my HS career for about 7'ish yards (2pt shovel pass in there!) lol i mustve been doing something right

What’s funny is I heard a story of him at a charity golfing event where he was banging women in the port o potty’s. So your assessment that he was hitting in your wife at the time and wanted to bang her was most likely very likely. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.