Ed Oliver is playing out of his mind this season

Roundybout

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Bump :)

I mean some of us always said it was a matter of time. His underlying data was always ahead of his box score stats. When that happens eventually things catch up. He was unlucky more than bad in previous years. Stud.

Kinda the opposite of when we signed Addison and I said bad move because his box score stats were outperforming the underlying data. And that never lasts long term. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

On 10/10/2023 at 3:48 PM, dave mcbride said:

I think he was playing great last season but got hurt down the stretch — arm injury — and it really affected his play. But the Bills knew how good he was when healthy. This isn’t directed at you at all, but I think a lot of fans see unevenness over the course of a season and chalk it up to inconsistency when it’s really injury. I’ll never forget Bills fans being down on Robert Woods and Chris Hogan in their last seasons here for—respectively—a decline in explosiveness and drops, but then it turned out that Woods was playing with a torn groin for half a season and Hogan with torn wrist ligaments for more than half the season. The Bills never reported the extent of injuries once all season, and only at the end of the season would they list Woods as “probable (leg).”

That was back in the Wilson era no? 

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

He's not third in sacks among dts

He's third among DTs per Pro Football Reference, if you don't count "defensive linemen" who move all over, and ignore several ties lol  

1) Justin Madubuike (BAL) - 11

2) Christian Wilkins (MIA)/Chris Jones (KC) - 7.5

3) Ed Oliver (BUF) - 6.5.  

I have so much appreciation for how great he has played after getting paid. He’s an all pro and the lynchpin of our defense. Losing Jones has hurt but with Eddie being a leader and providing pressure up the middle, Floyd and AJ have gotten sacks and pressures.Settle and Joseph have been effective run stoppers, Hopefully we can get something out of Miller in these crucial games coming up.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Did you know that over the last couple games that the Bills have had 132 defensive snaps and Ed Oliver has been on the field for 112 of them?

That is a DT playing a whopping 85% of defensive snaps. :o

I really wish we had Daquan to pair him with. Damn.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, balln said:

Pff 66 tho.

hes now moved in the middle tier of starters. Hes 10-20th best DT to me. 

he whiffed on russel Wilson and many many many qbs this entire season. Make the tackle/ sack.

Just gotta be that guy, I don’t believe that you believe he’s the 20th best DT in football.

I do enjoy some of the funny responses these takes elicit though.

• Like (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...

Eddie sets the tone for the physicality that our defense has been playing with. He provides the up the middle pressure we must have because we’re not getting consistent edge rusher pressure. He gets sacks and he’s been available every game. Anyone who doesn’t acknowledge his value to this team and the impact of his resigning are not dealing with reality and should be dismissed.

On 12/12/2023 at 3:48 PM, Mark Vader said:

But lots of people on this board said that he was just another BUST drafted by Beane.

Lots of people on this board are foolish in their opinions when it comes to player evaluations, me? I’ve never been wrong about any player so I’m safe..,, 🤣 

On 12/14/2023 at 9:34 AM, bmur66 said:

Not bad for having 18” long arms. 

Little T-Rex 🦖 arms…

• Haha (+1) 2

On 12/14/2023 at 7:29 PM, Breakout Squad said:

Oliver has been fantastic this year.  He should be a Pro Bowl starter and possibly 1st team All-Pro. 

That he was not selected for the ProBowl loudly and definitively speaks to the process of selection. Utter trash. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Im going to bump this thread until I die 

You can’t post this without continuing to remind people that this is AFTER he got paid.  Ed said he wanted to prove he was worth the money and he is showing it.  This is so rare, and so refreshing…how many of you hated the pick, thought he was a “problem” because of what happened at Houston, and then came up with every excuse possible to dismiss him over the past four years?

I love stories like this that prove all of the bigmouth fans who supposedly love their team so wrong.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, eball said:

You can’t post this without continuing to remind people that this is AFTER he got paid.  Ed said he wanted to prove he was worth the money and he is showing it.  This is so rare, and so refreshing…how many of you hated the pick, thought he was a “problem” because of what happened at Houston, and then came up with every excuse possible to dismiss him over the past four years?

I love stories like this that prove all of the bigmouth fans who supposedly love their team so wrong.

We’re all right about some things and wrong about others.  On balance @Pine Barrens Mafia has a pretty good record, but when it comes to Ed O and serial killing redheads he gets very low grades.

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

We’re all right about some things and wrong about others.  On balance @Pine Barrens Mafia has a pretty good record, but when it comes to Ed O and serial killing redheads he gets very low grades.

Absolutely true.  It’s all about how we express our opinions.

10 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Up till this season, I was right about Ed.

I've never been right when it comes to redheads 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Up till this season, I was right about Ed.

I've never been right when it comes to redheads 

Sticking to your guns like this makes me worried that one day you’ll meet a redhead named Ed and I won’t be around to save you.  

• Haha (+1) 1