Ed Oliver is playing out of his mind this season

Roundybout

Some more stats to whet your appetite. From Football Outsiders:

“Just put together some defensive stats...

Ed Oliver of the #BillsMafia  leads the NFL with 14 DEFEATS
F.Oluokun JAX 13
P.Queen BAL, N.Bonitto DEN, S.Ebukam IND, J.Brooks SEA 12
D.Hill CIN is top DB 11

Defeats: combines TFL, TO, and plays to prevent 3/4 down conversion.”

https://x.com/aschatznfl/status/1712184208955728096?s=46&t=RLsRhQJBb5vROsgfJWkwSw

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this thread, as I was about to post some stuff about Ed.

Ed is #2 among DT's in total sacks with 5.0 on the season (tied for #21 overall with AJ Epenesa), just 0.5 short of Chris Jones at 5.5 sacks.

He's also tied for #2 OVERALL in TFL with 10 so far (tied with Aaron Donald & Montez Sweat), just 2 short of Danielle Hunter's 12 TFL.

And that's with missing Patriots game too. Also, shoutout to Leonard Floyd who has been the best offseason signing so far. He's got 6.5 sacks in 7 games (missed the Pats game as well).

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Ed is #2 among DT's in total sacks with 5.0 on the season (tied for #21 overall with AJ Epenesa), just 0.5 short of Chris Jones at 5.5 sacks.

He's also tied for #2 OVERALL in TFL with 10 so far (tied with Aaron Donald & Montez Sweat), just 2 short of Danielle Hunter's 12 TFL.

And that's with missing both the Giants & Patriots game. Also, shoutout to Leonard Floyd who has been the best offseason signing so far. He's got 6.5 sacks in 7 games (missed the Pats game as well).

Correction Ed played vs the Giants. He only missed the Patriots game. But was also then on a pitch count vs the Buccs.

But he is having an outstanding season. 

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

And that's with missing Patriots game too. Also, shoutout to Leonard Floyd who has been the best offseason signing so far. He's got 6.5 sacks in 7 games (missed the Pats game as well).

Good company to have there!!!

Ed was considered an elite DT prospect. Hell, he might have been the best college DT prospect in the last decade. He never really lived up to that billing in Houston but you saw the raw ability. I'm very happy he ended up turning the corner. Given how strongly the Bills felt about him, I think it's likely he turned the corner even sooner, it was just harder for us to see it at DT. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, BigDingus said:

his absence vs the Patriots was notable as well. 

On 10/10/2023 at 4:45 PM, DJB said:

I need to see the production without D Jones before I declare him a success

Hes been mostly invisible except for a game or two so far in his career

Which two games since we drafted him….,

when you’re done talking smack do a little research, 

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Roundybout said:

https://x.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1725308160716468469?s=46&t=RLsRhQJBb5vROsgfJWkwSw

Ed Oliver now leads all NFL defensive tackles with pressures (41) and pressure rate (16.8%) despite missing DaQuan Jones for much of the season. 

STUD. 

This is about the only thing that has gone right this year. Ed gets paid, then proceeds to have his best year by far. Great move by the FO. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I was a little frustrated with the 15 yard penalty… but other than that another good game …

Olivers extension at a more than reasonable deal is another Beane win this season .. he has had a couple… Kincaid and Torrence come to mind .. the emergence of Bernard … trade for Douglas …

Something to think about for the haters …

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I was a little frustrated with the 15 yard penalty… but other than that another good game …

Olivers extension at a more than reasonable deal is another Beane win this season .. he has had a couple… Kincaid and Torrence come to mind .. the emergence of Bernard … trade for Douglas …

Great deal so far

Douglas fits this scheme like a glove, great scouting 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/17/2023 at 8:11 AM, Roundybout said:

https://x.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1725308160716468469?s=46&t=RLsRhQJBb5vROsgfJWkwSw

Ed Oliver now leads all NFL defensive tackles with pressures (41) and pressure rate (16.8%) despite missing DaQuan Jones for much of the season. 

STUD. 

Linval Joseph has helped the past few weeks, very underrated addition as he has helped plug up the middle of the run defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/19/2023 at 10:39 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Silly, silly boy.  Haters do not need to think.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 12:05 AM, billsfan89 said:

Linval Joseph has helped the past few weeks, very underrated addition as he has helped plug up the middle of the run defense.

100% agree, Linval came in from off the street and immediately made an impact. I wish we would have signed him a couple years sooner.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

needs a space eater next to him  Hopefully Bills have a plan for that in 2024

Space eaters are like running backs: you can get adequate play in the mid rounds of the draft or 2nd day free agency. If you want superior contribution you need to pony up a bit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.