Ed Oliver is playing out of his mind this season

Roundybout

A lot of people questioned Ed Oliver’s extension after a pretty average start to his Bills career, but this season he’s been playing at an absolute elite level.

Per NextGenStats, his 22 pressures this season are third among all DTs (behind Jalen Carter with 25 and Javon Hargrave with 24), and he’s just a half-sack behind Chris Jones for the most in the league among DTs.

This is despite taking up double teams on 50% of his reps (our boy Daquan Jones was tied for second in the league at an astonishing 70%). 

Oliver has absolutely come into his own this season and I think he’s going to be a stud for us for a long time to come. 

It remains to be seen how this is affected by Jones’ injury, so hopefully Ford slots in and keeps taking space for Oliver to thrive. 

Edited by Roundybout
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

There was mixed feelings when the Bills resigned him in the spring but man if they waited longer he would have gotten very expensive. 

Most QB Pressures by DTs in 2023:

* #Eagles Jalen Carter - 25 

* #49ers Javon Hargrave - 24

* #Bills Ed Oliver - 22

* #Jets Quinnen Williams - 22

Most sacks by DTs this season:

#Chiefs Chris Jones - 4.5

#Bills Ed Oliver - 4.0

#Eagles Jalen Carter - 3.5

#Bucs Vita Vea - 3.5 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Just now, Roundybout said:

A lot of people questioned Ed Oliver’s extension after a pretty average start to his Bills career, but this season he’s been playing at an absolute elite level.

His 22 pressures this season are third among all DTs (behind Jalen Carter with 25 and Javon Hargrave with 24), and he’s just a half-sack behind Chris Jones for the most in the league among DTs.

This is despite taking up double teams on 50% of his reps (our boy Daquan Jones was tied for second in the league at an astonishing 70%). 

Oliver has absolutely come into his own this season and I think he’s going to be a stud for us for a long time to come. 

It remains to be seen how this is affected by Jones’ injury, so hopefully Ford slots in and keeps taking space for Oliver to thrive. 

It's good to see him to live up to his draft billing. as this is the guy we all hoped we drafted when we took him out of Houston. Jones loss hurts but think we also need Floyd to remain healthy too as think has helped free up Oliver too.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Per NextGenStats, his 22 pressures this season are third among all DTs (behind Jalen Carter with 25 and Javon Hargrave with 24), and he’s just a half-sack behind Chris Jones for the most in the league among DTs.

Didn’t see you already posted but man his numbers are insane he’s beating Quennin Williams in pressures. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ed is backing up on the field what he said he would do after he signed that huge contract.  That is Live up to it. An actual Bills first round pick that has worked out for the Bills.

I find he to be a very likeable guy both from what I see on but also off the field.  I love seeing him ride his horses. 🙂

• Like (+1) 5

If, big if, we can stay healthy on the DL moving forward, this DL is what can win you Championships.  

Once we get everyone ramped back up, this is the best DE rotation in the league.  

We have Ed Oliver on the interior.  

Depending on how Poona Ford looks, I may be in the mind to just figure it out on the back end and see if there's a DT to play the Jones role available before the trade deadline.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Very happy to see it. Loved him as a draft pick, kinda disappointed with his uneven play for the first few years, confused about the extension, but he is earning it. Salute to him. 

I think he was playing great last season but got hurt down the stretch — arm injury — and it really affected his play. But the Bills knew how good he was when healthy. This isn’t directed at you at all, but I think a lot of fans see unevenness over the course of a season and chalk it up to inconsistency when it’s really injury. I’ll never forget Bills fans being down on Robert Woods and Chris Hogan in their last seasons here for—respectively—a decline in explosiveness and drops, but then it turned out that Woods was playing with a torn groin for half a season and Hogan with torn wrist ligaments for more than half the season. The Bills never reported the extent of injuries once all season, and only at the end of the season would they list Woods as “probable (leg).”

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Oliver is on pace for 13 sacks and 30 tackles for loss 🤯

And 30 QBHits.  

I imagine it'll slow down somewhat, but if he even finishes with 8 sacks and 20-some TFLs/QBHs that'd be great.  

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Ed only playing well after getting paid is pretty bizarre, but boy am I glad he's stepping up.  Hopefully he keeps it going and makes his contract look like a bargain.

agreed, never seen the light "go on" after an extension.  But perhaps the new defensive scheme with McD combined with better players around him has kicked him into another gear.  

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

who will be playing next to him the majority of snaps?   Poona?  Phillips? 

Oliver and Phillips play the same position - 3 tech.  Lots of fans continue to think that Phillips is a nose tackle because of his size, but his game is not well suited to the nose tackle position.  Ford and Settle will rotate at 1 tech, Settle getting more snaps than Ford.  Phillips mostly rotates in to give Oliver relief.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Oliver and Phillips play the same position - 3 tech.  Lots of fans continue to think that Phillips is a nose tackle because of his size, but his game is not well suited to the nose tackle position.  Ford and Settle will rotate at 1 tech, Settle getting more snaps than Ford.  Phillips mostly rotates in to give Oliver relief.  

Settle always played better as a 3t in his career too 

Poona was a split 1t/3t in Seattle

We're gonna need a committee and Ed will be playing 1t again at points which will wear him out 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

We're gonna need a committee and Ed will be playing 1t again at points which will wear him out 

Isn’t the conventional wisdom that it’s not too hard to find a pure 1T?  Just a space eater keep LB’s clean and eat up blocks.  The dynamic interior pass rushers are the more unique skill set.

i can’t figure out why we struggle to roster sufficient beef at the position.

6 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Isn’t the conventional wisdom that it’s not too hard to find a pure 1T?  Just a space eater keep LB’s clean and eat up blocks.  The dynamic interior pass rushers are the more unique skill set.

i can’t figure out why we struggle to roster sufficient beef at the position.

The game has been changing a lot over the last 10-15 years 

There aren't as many pure 0/1 techs as there was in the past

Even huge guys like Phillips is a 3T... the days of Vince wilfork is not completely gone but the amount of guys is less

Ed Oliver was playing 0 tech and 1 Tech mostly at Houston lol

Just like the two down linebacker is getting phased out.. the two down defensive tackle is getting phased out

Leaving a lot of tweaners between one and three technique... more flexibility is what a lot of coaches want

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Even huge guys like Phillips is a 3T... the days of Vince wilfork is not completely gone but the amount of guys is less

For sure.  But I think the guys are out there, they are just under valued.  There is benefit in being stout and controlling the LOS even if you have limited pass rush ability.  The NFL does not seem to value that.

31 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Just like the two down linebacker is getting phased out.. the two down defensive tackle is getting phased out

Leaving a lot of tweaners between one and three technique... more flexibility is what a lot of coaches want

This is the key. 

It’s a similar thought across the entire league. It’s like that with our safeties and our LBs…heck even Taron Johnson is techniqually filling the LB shoes many times.

49ers and the Fins run essentially a positionless offense. 

The interior line design was much the same thinking, when we have Jones and Oliver.

3 hours ago, DJB said:

I need to see the production without D Jones before I declare him a success

Hes been mostly invisible except for a game or two so far in his career

I’m sorry, “a game or two”? Are you just ignoring the information in this very thread? He has been lights out every game this year and showed flashes last year. At minimum you can gripe about only half a dozen games, but a game or two is ignoring reality.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I think he was playing great last season but got hurt down the stretch — arm injury — and it really affected his play. But the Bills knew how good he was when healthy. This isn’t directed at you at all, but I think a lot of fans see unevenness over the course of a season and chalk it up to inconsistency when it’s really injury. I’ll never forget Bills fans being down on Robert Woods and Chris Hogan in their last seasons here for—respectively—a decline in explosiveness and drops, but then it turned out that Woods was playing with a torn groin for half a season and Hogan with torn wrist ligaments for more than half the season. The Bills never reported the extent of injuries once all season, and only at the end of the season would they list Woods as “probable (leg).”

That’s fair but injuries are part of the evaluation. For a guy who was supposed to be Aaron Donald light, 14.5 sacks (Dareus had 28.5 at the same point, same he didn’t love football ball) through 4 years was disappointing. Also, visions of the bills getting bullied by good running teams danced in my head. 

either way, good on the Bills for seeing his potential. He’s been a top 5 player for us this year

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

:lol:

You think they might have a sense of humor but the nfl doesn’t haha. i bet he gets a small fine. 

13 hours ago, Nelius said:

I’m sorry, “a game or two”? Are you just ignoring the information in this very thread? He has been lights out every game this year and showed flashes last year. At minimum you can gripe about only half a dozen games, but a game or two is ignoring reality.

Reading comprehension my friend. I was referring to prior to this year with D Jones

17 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Ed only playing well after getting paid is pretty bizarre, but boy am I glad he's stepping up.  Hopefully he keeps it going and makes his contract look like a bargain.

He was playing well before it. He played hurt a lot last year and he was still playing better than the pure production numbers. At some point that always evens out.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, DJB said:

Reading comprehension my friend. I was referring to prior to this year with D Jones

You didn't indicate that at all. You straight up said he's only had 1 or 2 good games in his career, there was no caveat that you were only talking about prior to this year. I'll accept the backpedal however.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

who will be playing next to him the majority of snaps?   Poona?  Phillips? 

Poona is the 1tech and Phillips is the 3tech
so it will depend.

But I am in the minority as a Poona Fan

Go Ford

he is the guy that will take two, and did in his limited reps few weeks ago.

And allow Ed to do his thang

Go Ed

22 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

at least its not a contract year right ?

Kind of impressive really !

19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Poona said he did not care much for the 3 tech role

no link

Let him eat at the One

19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I dont think Ed will be.

They will push Phillips more.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.