Claypool traded to Miami

Big Blitz

40 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

People get frustrated (not me, but others on here) because the Fins are always taking swings. The trade for Hill worked out. The trade for Chubb last year at the deadline has not. But they are in a win-now mode and a lot of people would like to trade draft capital to take a swing for this year.

If the Fins are truly in win-now mode, they'd be hustling to find better OLers and/or LBS and DBs not adding an extraneous WR. 

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, Markaf431 said:

Best thing on this from Finheaven, “we have a very strong character pulse on this team and especially with Welker and Hill. He won’t be crying for long in a dolphin uni if that’s his deal”

Hill? Strong character?!

Think of how low your bar must be if Hill is high chartacter!

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When the locker room is so strong, why bring in someone like Claypool?  The guy has been criticized for lack of effort.  He's not very productive.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/chase-claypool-apologized-to-teammates-coach-g-m-for-lack-of-effort-in-week-1

You don't think its a Gigantic red flag that this guy was traded for a second round pick and shipped him off after 10 games?

Traded for an shipped by who? Oh yeah, the worst FO and team in the League. I sure would have been upset if the Bills had given #53 for him. But for nothing? 
He has an attitude problem. Lacks effort amongst other things. But if he ever gets his head straight he's definitely a starting caliber NFL WR with elite physical traits.

Bills certainly don't need him but just maybe could have used him. I don't really care that they passed on him. Right now the Bills are probably the best team in the AFC and with SF one of the two best in the League. So I'm nor criticizing the Bills' brass here.

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Traded for an shipped by who? Oh yeah, the worst FO and team in the League. I sure would have been upset if the Bills had given #53 for him. But for nothing? 
He has an attitude problem. Lacks effort amongst other things. But if he ever gets his head straight he's definitely a starting caliber NFL WR with elite physical traits.

Bills certainly don't need him but just maybe could have used him. I don't really care that they passed on him. Right now the Bills are probably the best team in the AFC and with SF one of the two best in the League. So I'm nor criticizing the Bills' brass here.

Are the Steelers a bad FO? 

I understand you're not criticizing the Bills Brass.

If we were the 2018 Bills, yeah maybe.  I just overall don't like players who have effort problems....like Dareus.  

He just seems like a "me" guy and I think with his antics, will hurt the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are the Steelers a bad FO? 

I understand you're not criticizing the Bills Brass.

If we were the 2018 Bills, yeah maybe.  I just overall don't like players who have effort problems....like Dareus.  

He just seems like a "me" guy and I think with his antics, will hurt the Bills.  

Well I do agree it's hard to fix stupid.

But again I don't think he'd be a threat to the Bills locker room. To the contrary if he f'ed up he probably be lucky to make it out of the locker room alive.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

In a Super Bowl promising year, I want them to focus on winning and not reviving a career of a guy kicked off of two teams.

He's not been very productive.

I don't want to bring in a guy who celebrates a first down with 25 seconds left in the game which runs more clock off.

I don't want a player who had to apologize to his teammates because of lack of effort on the field.

I don't want a player who kicks a man in a face who is on the ground at a bar fight.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2937925-tmz-steelers-chase-claypool-captured-on-video-kicking-man-in-face-in-bar-fight

Why take a chance on a distraction?  Just because he was a second round pick?

Didn’t Diggs get into a bar fight a few years ago? Didn’t Allen make racist comments a few years ago? Didn’t Cornelius Bennett rape a girls virgin butthole many years ago? There’s plenty of reasons why you don’t make moves, draft players, or trade for players. And one really big reason why you do make those moves….

Kansas City Chiefs Football GIF by The Roku Channel

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

If the Fins are truly in win-now mode, they'd be hustling to find better OLers and/or LBS and DBs not adding an extraneous WR. 

I'm sure they're turning over those stones too.  Claypool COULD provide them with the big target redzone threat and 50/50 deep ball guy that they're currently missing.  I'm not saying it's a great move (though I suppose it could turn into a good one), just that it's not completely illogical or useless to the Fins.

48 minutes ago, mrags said:

K. And…

K. And…

I’ve learned not to argue with people who already have their minds made up. 

This is the equivalent of a pretty girl that has given 2 different gentlemen herpes and you’re tryna convince yourself that it’s still a good idea sleep with her if you use a rubber. Just leave her alone…..she ain’t worth it!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

I'm sure they're turning over those stones too.  Claypool COULD provide them with the big target redzone threat and 50/50 deep ball guy that they're currently missing.  I'm not saying it's a great move (though I suppose it could turn into a good one), just that it's not completely illogical or useless to the Fins.

The Fins have cap issues, and adding Claypool isn't going to help enough to win now to justify however little he costs the Fins against the cap.  They also put Armstead on IR to make room for Claypool.   If the Fins do find an OLer -- or Armstead heals up and comes back in four games -- what do they do with Claypool?   It's just a trade to make a trade for Miami.

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The Fins have cap issues, and adding Claypool isn't going to help enough to win now to justify however little he costs the Fins against the cap.  They also put Armstead on IR to make room for Claypool.   If the Fins do find an OLer -- or Armstead heals up and comes back in four games -- what do they do with Claypool?   It's just a trade to make a trade for Miami.

We’ll see I guess. Like I said before. I’m not saying it’s the right move. I’m saying for a team on the verge of winning it all, it might be that little bit of help to get them over the top. Worst case you trade a late pick in the 20s or later in the 6th round for an early pick in the top 10 in the 7th and cut him if he’s an issue. Best case he gets his head in straight for once and helps you win games. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

It's a good move.  Virtually no risk.  If they can get him engaged....another weapon.   We'll see.  

While I didn't want Claypool I do wish the Bills occasionally grabbed up people when teams were forced to sell low.

When a team who just gave up the 32nd pick in the draft for a guy and direly needs passing game weaponry gives up on said player basically immediately...one has to imagine there's a pretty good reason.

The fact that he's a guy who a team needs to make a big effort to "get engaged" is exactly the problem. He was "not engaged" in Chicago from pretty much the first game onward. It's not as if they were eliminated from playoff contention, so he checked out. He STARTED THE SEASON checked out.

That's why a guy like that gets traded for peanuts. And that's why, contrary to what you say, there actually IS a bit of risk. His last team asked him to stay away from the facilities. He was that much of a headache/drag on the team. I get what you're saying, because the compensation is low, but...I just don't want any part of a guy like that, to be honest, even for a future 7th or a swap of late picks or whatever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Here's the way I approach this trade. I am pretty sure in the great scheme of things Claypool will make little to no difference on the field when it comes to wins and losses. At BEST he's WR3 at worst WR5. 

But also, I just picked him up in fantasy. Because I'm wrong sometimes, too.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mrags said:

First part of me lols and says he will tear them apart even more from the inside. 

second part of me is angered that we didn’t make that trade for him. It’s almost nothing. Should have taken a stab at it. 

Are you trying to 'outweird' Tognarelli? 🤨

25 minutes ago, mrags said:

Didn’t Diggs get into a bar fight a few years ago? Didn’t Allen make racist comments a few years ago? Didn’t Cornelius Bennett rape a girls virgin butthole many years ago? There’s plenty of reasons why you don’t make moves, draft players, or trade for players. And one really big reason why you do make those moves….

Kansas City Chiefs Football GIF by The Roku Channel

No, Allen didn't make racist comments.

Post a video of Diggs kicking a man on the ground.

I don't know about any story about Bennett.

Oh those KC Chiefs who desperately need WR help.  Why didn't they get him?  I mean, wouldn't you say they have a bigger need at WR?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Yea take a stab at a player that’s on his 3rd team in 4 seasons. Steelers and Bears are telling the league this guy ain’t worth it!

Steelers put up with AB so you know they are patient.  Moving him out fast for them is a sign I would think. Bears are well the Bears and giving up a weapon is another sign.  

Can’t wait to see Hills attitude if Claypool starts taking his touches. 

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

When a team who just gave up the 32nd pick in the draft for a guy and direly needs passing game weaponry gives up on said player basically immediately...one has to imagine there's a pretty good reason.

The fact that he's a guy who a team needs to make a big effort to "get engaged" is exactly the problem. He was "not engaged" in Chicago from pretty much the first game onward. It's not as if they were eliminated from playoff contention, so he checked out. He STARTED THE SEASON checked out.

That's why a guy like that gets traded for peanuts. And that's why, contrary to what you say, there actually IS a bit of risk. His last team asked him to stay away from the facilities. He was that much of a headache/drag on the team. I get what you're saying, because the compensation is low, but...I just don't want any part of a guy like that, to be honest, even for a future 7th or a swap of late picks or whatever.

You could be right.  I wouldn't be shocked if this goes nowhere. 

But...I have a feeling McD is going to find a role for him and a little success will change his mindset.   

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think Claypool was a malcontent in Pittsburgh, he had a great rookie year for them (873yds, 11 TDs). The Steelers traded him away because rookie George Pickens was surpassing him in the pecking order. If somebody offers you a draft pick in the 30s for a guy who's 3rd on your depth chart at his position, you take it & run- regardless of his attitude.

His attitude issues were all with the Bears. The guy is clearly a jackass now, but I don't think he came into the league as one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I think the “locker room cancer” storyline is a bit dramatic though I don’t think he goes from being a healthy scratch with horrendous tape this season to suddenly a superstar in Miami.  

If I’m a Dolphins fan I don’t hate the trade.  They are getting Claypool as a rental for next to nothing.   If he helps then great.  If not, then they didn’t give up much.  It seems like a potential low risk/high reward situation. 

On the other, I don’t really see how Claypool fits in with the Miami receivers.   Are you going to take Hill, Waddle, or a route runner like Berrios off the field for Claypool?  

Is he better than Chosen/Carcraft?  Maybe…but we’re talking about WR4 snaps for a player that doesn’t play special teams.  

Maybe they are thinking he’s a bigger body who might be a red zone target or a WR for 50/50 balls?   It’s possible, but then again these aren’t passes that Tua throws a lot of.  

Passes in the screen game?  Claypool is probably the 4th best WR option on the team, maybe 5th if you line Achane at WR.  

Overall I don’t think he’ll have that big of an impact in Miami but you can’t fault them for trying.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, 947 said:

I don't think Claypool was a malcontent in Pittsburgh, he had a great rookie year for them (873yds, 11 TDs). The Steelers traded him away because rookie George Pickens was surpassing him in the pecking order. If somebody offers you a draft pick in the 30s for a guy who's 3rd on your depth chart at his position, you take it & run- regardless of his attitude.

His attitude issues were all with the Bears. The guy is clearly a jackass now, but I don't think he came into the league as one.

To get the real story, we need to hear from our resident Steelers expert @Simon

5 hours ago, mrags said:

First part of me lols and says he will tear them apart even more from the inside. 

second part of me is angered that we didn’t make that trade for him. It’s almost nothing. Should have taken a stab at it. 

So you wish for a cancer for our opponents, but you wish we had gotten it first?  Huh?   🤷‍♂️

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.