Week 4 AFC Power Rankings

Giuseppe Tognarelli

Looks like Dolphins are back to back week 3 Super Bowl champs, even with our own board members.

Week 1: Beat the Chargers by 2 (who lost to the Titans and almost lost to the Vikings)

Week 2: Beat the Patriots by 7 (who lost to the Eagles and almost lost to the Jets)

Week 3: Ran up the scoreboard against a team with "special needs"

What could possibly go wrong?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Dolphins I definitely agree with.

The Chiefs I would not have above the Bills.  They looked bad against Detroit and Jacksonville.  Jacksonville looks really bad and KC struggled with them.

I think Kyle Allen could put up 30 on the Bears so what KC did to them isn't an indication of anything.

The AFC kinda sucks so far.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Looks like Dolphins are back to back week 3 Super Bowl champs, even with our own board members.

Week 1: Beat the Chargers by 2 (who lost to the Titans and almost lost to the Vikings)

Week 2: Beat the Patriots by 7 (who lost to the Eagles and almost lost to the Jets)

Week 3: Ran up the scoreboard against a team with "special needs"

What could possibly go wrong?

But we lost to the Jets... The Zach Wilson Jets. Then we beat a bad Raiders team, then watched the offense kick FGs most of the last game until the end. For a while, we had only 3 points off 3 or 4 turnovers, and only 16 points to show for it. 

So we can make ANY team sound not that impressive or downplay their efforts. 

Can the Bills win? Obviously, yes. But we also should stop discrediting what other teams have accomplished, regardless of what point in the season it is. 

We did that last year too, then went to Miami & lost. The Bills looked like world beaters through week 6 last year, then went through a long stretch of middling offense, playing sloppy, and division losses.

Hoping we don't downplay anyone this year. People got mocked for saying "remember the Jags game" last season, then those fears were proven warranted. 

I'm not trying to suggest the Bills are bad or Miami is winning the SB, I just want us to treat every game with the respect they deserve. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

30 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Dolphins

Chiefs

Bills

Ravens

Chargers

Bengals

Browns

Steelers

Patriots

Colts

Jaguars

Texans

Jets

Titans

Raiders

Broncos

Well you are a Dolphins fan, so…, 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

But we lost to the Jets... The Zach Wilson Jets. Then we beat a bad Raiders team, then watched the offense kick FGs most of the last game until the end. For a while, we had only 3 points off 3 or 4 turnovers, and only 16 points to show for it. 

Can the Bills win? Obviously, yes. But we also should stop discrediting what other teams have accomplished, regardless of what point in the season it is. 

We did that last year too, then went to Miami & lost. The Bills looked like world beaters through week 6 last year, then went through a long stretch of middling offense, playing sloppy, and division losses.

Hoping we don't downplay anyone this year. People got mocked for saying "remember the Jags game" last season, then those fears were proven warranted. 

I'm not trying to suggest the Bills are bad or Miami is winning the SB, I just want us to treat every game with the respect they deserve. 

I’d put a big asterisk on week 1 in general and a medium asterisk on road division games in general. We also did not spend a week preparing for the Zach Wilson jets like the other teams that played them have the luxury of doing. The pats had that opportunity and just snuck by them still.  Jets defense is a much worse matchup for buffalo than Miamis is also and it’s not even close.  

we went down to Miami last year and absolutely dominated them in every metric but points while missing our entire defensive backfield and four offensive linemen by halftime….everyone and their mother knew that was a flukey loss. 

I agree about giving teams the respect they deserve but Miami is being given far too much imo.  They’re good but they are not the 07 pats by any means.  Against pretty good afc opponents the dolphins haven’t looked much better than good.  One game against a horrible team that quit before halftime doesn’t change that.  look at someone like the chiefs that absolutely smacked around the 49ers last year.  The dolphins offense is a successful gimmick so it sees more diminishing returns against better opponents than other great offenses do and their defense is pretty mediocre 

how were the people that said ‘remember the jags game’ proven correct last season?  We won 13 games and ran out of gas in the playoffs.  Are the pessimistic fans automatically correct on everything they’ve said if we don’t win a Super Bowl?  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1. Dolphins

2. Chiefs

3. Bills 

4. Browns

5. Ravens

6. Chargers - Don't know where to rank these guys, but they've shown ability to score in 2/3 games this year, putting them ahead of Jaguars, Steelers, Bengals. 

7. Jaguars

8. Steelers

9. Bengals

10. Colts

11. Patriots

12. Texans

13. Titans

14. Raiders

15. Jets

16. Broncos

Bengals are there only on reputation. They've looked terrible on offense from the jump. If it's all Burrow's calf, ok, but he's playing and would get a ton of credit if he was playing well. Their defense is susceptible on the back-end. But a 3-point win against the Rams at home? 

They'll move up because they have a cupcake schedule for the next 3 but not impressive. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, McBean said:

I’m still in shock out of all teams to go to, he chose the Denver job.

What a mess.

It's called ego...he thought he could ride in on his high horse and because he was so great and because he was Sean "F***ing* Payton, they would win 12 games and challenge the Chiefs for the AFC West crown.  Looks like he overestimated his abilities by a bit...

• Like (+1) 1

I agree it’s so hard to do these rankings early on. They can change drastically until there’s a larger sample.

Dolphins are #1 because there’s no other unit that rivals the level of their offense right now. Chiefs have earned the benefit of the doubt and will always be in the conversation. Bills are very good, but the fact Allen imploded again in their one tough matchup knocks them down a peg.

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I respectfully disagree here.

There's a big difference between preparing to play Aaron Rodgers, then getting Zach Wilson vs preparing to play Zach Wilson.

The latter is much, much easier.

• Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Rankings are fun - but I wouldn't say right now that any one of the top 3 of Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins are measurably better or worse than the others.  

The way the Bills played Sunday, I like their chances against both of the other teams.  I think we're the most balanced of the 3.  With Miami, their offense is elite, but the defense has question marks.  I think KC's defense is the best they've had, but their O has taken a step back overall, and the WR corps is a bit of a weak link this year.

I'm not sure if the Bills have a noticeable weakness like that right now.  Perceptions will change as time goes on, but I think it's 1A, 1B & 1C, and I'd make us 1A right now.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Honestly, they got totally screwed by the officials (legitimately), half their team was injured, and the Colts had the veteran Minshew starting.

Indy's kicker was apparently inspired by "Minshew Magic" and out kicked Justin Tucker, whose just missed a 61 yarder at the end of regulation that would have won the game for the Ravens.   Matt Gay kicked a 31 yarder, 2 53 yarders, and a 54 yarder in regulation.   He then kicked another 53 yarder to win the game in OT. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

Rankings are fun - but I wouldn't say right now that any one of the top 3 of Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins are measurably better or worse than the others.  

The way the Bills played Sunday, I like their chances against both of the other teams.  I think we're the most balanced of the 3.  With Miami, their offense is elite, but the defense has question marks.  I think KC's defense is the best they've had, but their O has taken a step back overall, and the WR corps is a bit of a weak link this year.

I'm not sure if the Bills have a noticeable weakness like that right now.  Perceptions will change as time goes on, but I think it's 1A, 1B & 1C, and I'd make us 1A right now.

I think it's a mistake to count out the Bengals, too.  They didn't look great last night, but they gutted out a win against a very frisky Rams team...they've started to right the ship, just like the Bills have after the Jets week one disaster.  They just need to keep their heads above water until Burrow gets fully healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

We all know that "power rankings" are meaningless, but fun to do regardless.  I'd go 

1.  Dolphins

2. Chiefs

3. Bills

but expect that to change after Sunday and the Bills to "vault" to #1.  For now, the Bills lost a game to the Jets and for that reason don't deserve to be #1.  Other than that, the Bills have not played a difficult schedule so far.  The Bills lost to Zach Wilson's Jets and it wasn't because of what the Jets offense did, regardless of who was at QB.  The Bills offense failed to do its part.  The Bills defense did more than enough to win that game.  Fortunately, the Bills have straightened things out and look fantastic on both sides of the ball, with a good kicking game to boot (no pun intended).

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Special K said:

Broncos are actually favored by 2 against the Bears.....thats how bad the Bears are!!

Yep. And the Bills are favored by 3 this Sunday over the team that most people in the sports world have as the "best team in the league" and that team is coming off a 70 point performance.

We will know soon enough which team is the best in the league. Bills or Dolphins.

Chiefs have the Jets and 49ers have the Cardinals. Won't learn anything good about either of those two contenders. 

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yep. And the Bills are favored by 3 this Sunday over the team that most people in the sports world have as the "best team in the league" and that team is coming off a 70 point performance.

We will know soon enough which team is the best in the league. Bills or Dolphins.

Chiefs have the Jets and 49ers have the Cardinals. Won't learn anything good about either of those two contenders. 

So the Chiefs are penalized for playing the Jets, while the Bills lost to the Jets and aren't?  Not trying to pick a fight, but the logic there is ludicrous. 

3 weeks into the season, the Power Rankings are mostly pointless as the sample size isn't big enough.  Some schedules are front loaded and others are back loaded, so it's hard to rank teams.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.