Christian Kirksey is retiring

Dablitzkrieg

52 minutes ago, Simon said:

I get it and kind of agree.

But there's 225 and then there's 225, and they don't always look the same

image.thumb.png.9db9e18c6b0c7098ac9e498c70c709ff.png

Fwiw, when the Bills paid Milano, my only concern was about his durability.

That concern appears to have been unfounded and I hope it is this time as well.

From that pic you can see Milano is an easy 25lbs+ heavier than Bernard. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I sometimes have dreams I lead the Bills to their first Super Bowl win as a HC.  Randomly I meet Terry Pegula at like Wegmans, I tell him my son's flag football offense is unstoppable and he hires me on the spot.  You know, like a Disney fairy tale.

Is that being too honest?

I mean, you couldn't be too much worse than McClappy, right?

25 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Well I see you failed 5th grade math.  How many times did you fail or can't you count that high?

Christian Kirksey did not need to retire. He could have asked to be released and try another PS or wait for someone to work if he did not want to be paid to practice and provide veteran leadership.

I have to question your reading comprehension here my dude. Wtf does counting or 5th grade math have anything to do with my post? Chill out man. Not that serious. 

22 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

I have to question your reading comprehension here my dude. Wtf does counting or 5th grade math have anything to do with my post? Chill out man. Not that serious. 

You exaggerate Klein's age - I exaggerate your ability to subtract current year from year Klein was born. 

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

One thing Klein can do well is hit HARD!!! I like Klein as a backup.

At least when game plan was adjusted with starter out to him he was capable of this:

Bills LB A.J. Klein named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/12/bills-lb-aj-klein-named-afc-defensive-player-of-the-week.html#:~:text=Klein was named the AFC,in his eight-year career.

Klein was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week after he recorded 14 tackles (10 solo), three tackles for a loss, one pass breakup, and 1.5 sacks in the Bills’ 27-17 win against the Los Angeles Chargers last Sunday. This is the first time Klein, 29, has received the award in his eight-year career.

Klein could have been the AFC Defensive Player of the Week three weeks ago when he had his breakout game against the Seattle Seahawks, recording 2.0 sacks, four quarterback hits, one forced fumble, and a fumble recovery.

• Like (+1) 1

Well that's a huge change from what he was saying when they brought him aboard I wonder if it was because they kept him on the practice squad & didn't bring him up ASAP ?? 

I guess we will find out if after he is released he signs with another team ... If that be the case then the Bills didn't need him around anyway !! 

Edited by T master

51 minutes ago, T master said:

Well that's a huge change from what he was saying when they brought him aboard I wonder if it was because they kept him on the practice squad & didn't bring him up ASAP ?? 

I guess we will find out if after he is released he signs with another team ... If that be the case then the Bills didn't need him around anyway !! 

He wasn't released, he retired.  He's a 9-year veteran and could have signed with any team, anytime, on or off a practice squad.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

We seem to be a magnet for guys who decide to retire.

Wish him the best

A harsh blow to all the "Elevate Kirksey" "Play Kirksey instead of Bernard" campaigners.

1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

How in the world did this get up to 8 pages for a guy who has never played a game, regular or preseason, and was on the practice squad for < 4 weeks. Can it reach at least 10? 

I consulted the magic 8 ball.  It said "Easy Peasy"

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Probably doesn't see a path forward here with the way Bernard has been playing . . .

i suspect it might also be that whatever McBeane told him he needed to do (to improve himself) in order to pass Bernard, Kirksey just decided he didnt have it in himself to do all that, at this point in his career. 

Because otherwise, he might have (and he might have behind the scenes) asked to be cut or traded so he could catch on somewhere else.

Edited by maddenboy

19 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

i suspect it might also be that whatever McBeane told him he needed to do (to improve himself) in order to pass Bernard, Kirksey just decided he didnt have it in himself to do all that, at this point in his career. 

Because otherwise, he might have (and he might have behind the scenes) asked to be cut or traded so he could catch on somewhere else.

As was said by someone else above, he's on the practice squad. He can sign anywhere to the 53 man roster.

Someone go check on @Warriorspikes51 😜

Joking aside, this is something that happens frequently in the NFL. An aging vet sees an opening on a squad for playing time and signs. Then the player they thought they'd hop steps up and they decide at their age they'd rather be with their family then put in the work and sit on the bench. It's what I imagined happened with Brandon Shell too.

It's also possible he was having a harder time than he imagined getting the playbook and the role here down. Like I said when he was signed and people wanted to start him Week 1 - McDermott brings new players (even at easier positions to get down) a lot slower than other coaches. Being the MLB in his complicated Defense was going to take some serious time. And it was always extremely unlikely that he'd both a.) Get it down quickly and b.) McDermott would play him quickly.

It's sad that this is the route he chose because even though Terrel Bernard has exceeded expectations, we're now just an injury away from Tyrel Dodson or AJ Klein. Though perhaps Kirskey just felt he didn't have it in him to hold it down here, even in that event. Here's hoping Bernard stays healthy.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So now the question becomes what do we do it the back up middle linebacker position

Dodson still isn’t it

For rest of the game Terrel Bernard injured in or until injured player recovers?

Tyrel Dodson, if active, will likely finish game as MLB since he has played MLB as substitute although he was also injured playing and did not finish game.

AJ Klein likely will be activated from PS and play next game since he knows playbook and depending on Bernard's recovery time AJ will continue being MLB and Bills will be looking for another player to man position if he is out for season.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I think it is because the Bills having saying making players the best they can be and if they get there and discover they cannot be improved they lose heart and retire.

yeah, but isnt there always a sucker (team) out there who would keep giving you free money until all 32 finally said "no?"  Why not just loaf and get cut?  then sign on elsewhere for a few more weeks of feathering his retirement nest.

which suggests his agent told him that the Bills are 32 /32.

Edited by maddenboy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.