Will boogie basham be the next Wyatt Teller for Beane?

Coldfronts

All Pro Boogie Basham?  I don’t know about that…while Boogie definitely looked better than he had in previous years, the bottom line was that he couldn’t beat out UDFA Kingsley Jonathan.  

Even if he did, he would be the 5th or 6th DE on the team.   Even with a DL rotation, where was he going to get snaps?

If anything I think he could be the next Isaiah Hodgins.  A player that was buried on the depth chart with the Bills that left for a team which gave him more opportunities that he made the most of.  I’m sure some fans will continue to whine about it too.  

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

How many times is the latest guy to leave going to be the next Wyatt Teller? 

Some fans will point to Isaiah Hodgkins.  He turned out of be a solid WR with NYG, but he’s far from an All-Pro

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

Got a feeling this was going to be Boogies break out season.  Did Breane not give him the time (one more year) to develop like he did to Teller who is now an all pro G or did beane make the right move why?

Obviously from his post-cutdown interview, Beane is concerned about that too.  But he seems more concerned with keeping the guys who are best for THIS year.

But I do need to point out the "one more year" thing.   I'm not sure this is your mistake, but Teller did not need "one more year" in Cleveland. 

He played "right bench" the first half of the season after the trade, took over for injury and played decently, then became a 2nd team all-pro the following year on a strong RUNNING team (4 for attempts, 3 for yards).

It's been said previously that Beane traded Teller and he became an "instant all pro" in Cleveland, that's not true.  Beane traded Teller who sat on the bench, then became a 2nd team all pro 2 years later - and again, on a strong RUNNING team.

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

As many times as Beane trades off a guy we drafted with years left on his contract. 

Well, OK - I didn't hear anyone suggesting that about Zach Moss or Cody Ford, but then, I didn't hear anyone suggesting that about Wyatt Teller the first year after we traded him either.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The OP has a fair question though I'm not a big fan of dragging Teller into the discussion.

Will it be viewed as a mistake to trade away Boogie Basham (especially for almost nothing)?

Basham had his best preseason so far and I for one was excited to see how much he improved.

And though I was happy when we drafted Epenesa, I would rather have traded him than Basham.

I hope McBeane got this one right though I'm a bit worried that they didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

Wyatt Teller is kind of a unicorn situation. He played DL thru high school and only switched to OL in like his junior year of college. He was still coming along and developing and learning the position. I guess they must've figured other guys on the roster were ahead of him. It's all hindsight now. Does he turn into an All Pro with the Bills or does Cleveland's scheme just suit him better? I dunno. 

I doubt Boogie goes off for some epic All Pro season. He's likely a depth guy no matter what team he's on. 

Can't wait for more posts like these during the season. Isaiah Hodgins makes a five yard catch: Beane is the worst! Boogie tackles a guy after a ten yard gain: Beane messed up! Waived draft pick Nick Broeker starts a game in Houston: it's Teller Part Two and Beane is still the worst!

• Like (+1) 1

I’m just not sure what they envisioned for boogie when they took him. Was it actually dramatically different than we saw? I’m sure a little more upside but they couldn’t have expected him to be a breakout star or anything. Just a rotational piece. 

and if that’s the case there’s a lot of questions about why make the pick in the first place if a guy off the street like shaq is fine in that role. Go ahead and dedicate the valuable pick elsewhere 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

Got a feeling this was going to be Boogies break out season.  Did Breane not give him the time (one more year) to develop like he did to Teller who is now an all pro G or did beane make the right move why?

Beane must have felt keeping Boogie would have hampered the development of their other young DEs

No

Boogie was not a multiple game starter for the Bills like Teller. 

Boogie got 2 full years to prove his worth.  

Boogie has no burst or ability to get low around the corner to QB.  

Boogie will not play 5 technique DE for  Giants but will have to transition to OLB.  Not sure he can

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Wyatt Teller is kind of a unicorn situation. He played DL thru high school and only switched to OL in like his junior year of college. He was still coming along and developing and learning the position. I guess they must've figured other guys on the roster were ahead of him. It's all hindsight now. Does he turn into an All Pro with the Bills or does Cleveland's scheme just suit him better? I dunno. 

I doubt Boogie goes off for some epic All Pro season. He's likely a depth guy no matter what team he's on. 

Can't wait for more posts like these during the season. Isaiah Hodgins makes a five yard catch: Beane is the worst! Boogie tackles a guy after a ten yard gain: Beane messed up! Waived draft pick Nick Broeker starts a game in Houston: it's Teller Part Two and Beane is still the worst!

Whereas Boogie was 24 when he was drafted - was likely much closer to his ceiling by then.

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The OP has a fair question though I'm not a big fan of dragging Teller into the discussion.

Will it be viewed as a mistake to trade away Boogie Basham (especially for almost nothing)?

Basham had his best preseason so far and I for one was excited to see how much he improved.

And though I was happy when we drafted Epenesa, I would rather have traded him than Basham.

I hope McBeane got this one right though I'm a bit worried that they didn't.

this is my thoughts too

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I’m just not sure what they envisioned for boogie when they took him. Was it actually dramatically different than we saw? I’m sure a little more upside but they couldn’t have expected him to be a breakout star or anything. Just a rotational piece. 

and if that’s the case there’s a lot of questions about why make the pick in the first place if a guy off the street like shaq is fine in that role. Go ahead and dedicate the valuable pick elsewhere 

It was very brutal. It felt like a need pick, but the need wasn’t really there with Addison/Huges/AJE and Rousseau the round before on the roster already. 

Really one of Beane’s worst picks from a process standpoint IMO. Cody Ford busted but I saw the vision. I have no idea what they were doing with Boogie.

• Like (+1) 1

He’s 25 years old.

Epenesa is 24

Rousseau is 23

Yet he needs more time?  

They thought Kingsley Jonathan was better. 

You might be right.  He may eventually be a decent contributor….but a Wyatt Teller caliber player, he will never be imo

Personally I wish we had traded Epenesa instead of Boogie. I saw some passing down rush QB abilities with Boogie. Epenesa I see much if nothing other than a low end Shaq Lawson if we are lucky 

Im just mostly disappointed we wasted another 2nd round pick

Edited by DJB
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DJB said:

Personally I wish we had traded Epenesa instead of Boogie. I saw some passing down rush QB abilities with Boogie. Epenesa I see much if nothing other than a low end Shaq Lawson if we are lucky 

Im just mostly disappointed we wasted another 2nd round pick

Epenesa has no value. Boogie barely did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s 25 years old.

Epenesa is 24

Rousseau is 23

Yet he needs more time?  

They thought Kingsley Jonathan was better. 

You might be right.  He may eventually be a decent contributor….but a Wyatt Teller caliber player, he will never be imo

He'll be 26 by the end of this season. He is who he is who he is. A big bloke who won in college by being a 23 year old man running over kids. When the guys on the other side are as big and as strong he has nada, nothing, zilch. 

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Coldfronts said:

I think Wyatt Teller is the reason why the Bills have gotten behind Spencer Brown.  Unfortunately, I don’t see Brown as “the next Wyatt Teller” 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Every time…, 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.