Will boogie basham be the next Wyatt Teller for Beane?

Coldfronts

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Wyatt Teller is kind of a unicorn situation. He played DL thru high school and only switched to OL in like his junior year of college. He was still coming along and developing and learning the position. I guess they must've figured other guys on the roster were ahead of him. It's all hindsight now. Does he turn into an All Pro with the Bills or does Cleveland's scheme just suit him better? I dunno. 

I doubt Boogie goes off for some epic All Pro season. He's likely a depth guy no matter what team he's on. 

Can't wait for more posts like these during the season. Isaiah Hodgins makes a five yard catch: Beane is the worst! Boogie tackles a guy after a ten yard gain: Beane messed up! Waived draft pick Nick Broeker starts a game in Houston: it's Teller Part Two and Beane is still the worst!

He did mess up with Broeker though:cry:

I am not sure what people saw in Basham that would make them believe he was about to break out.  I certainly did not see it.  He had plenty of chances.  He will probably hang around in the league for a few more years, but the chance that he will make the Bills regret moving on are low indeed in my opinion.  

Cold front, will you ever start a thread that does not plant seeds of doubt, incompetence, or general criticisms of this team?

This was  addressed by another poster on your last negative thread citing three examples of the same general attitude. So a total of four and this one five straight pessimistic, there must be something wrong with the team and leadership.  This one was a real reach.

In what world has Basham done literally anything to suggest he’ll have a breakout year.  The bottom line is we have too many NFL caliber D Linemen and needed to deal one of them who had any trade value, yet doesn’t weaken our team.  

Beane did just that in this trade.

Carnac the Magnificient Predicts….

It won’t take 4 days for Coldfront to make another speculation thread of doubt, discourse, and overall silliness of the Belived Buffalo Bills.

The great Carnac has spoken.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Coldfronts said:

Got a feeling this was going to be Boogies break out season.  Did Breane not give him the time (one more year) to develop like he did to Teller who is now an all pro G or did beane make the right move why?

Yes he will for those on a crusade to have him replaced in front office.

image.png.c2dabc94287d1e30f3f24a779d430ce7.png

I've considered Boogie to be one of the underrated players on the team, who didn't get as many opportunities as he would on a different team. He had a lot of shade thrown at him his rookie season because he spent so many games as a healthy scratch. But, he was the second DE drafted that year (after Groot, of course), and there were 11 D-linesmen on the team. Of course he was a game-day inactive. His play reminded me a bit of Trent Murphy, who would seem fairly invisible for much of the game, but then would always make a few good plays. But, Boogie never got anywhere near the playing time.

We'll see how well Kingsley Jonathan does this season in comparison, and if Boogie excels in another system, I will consider that a validation of Beane's drafting acumen.

3 hours ago, Coldfronts said:

Got a feeling this was going to be Boogies break out season.  Did Breane not give him the time (one more year) to develop like he did to Teller who is now an all pro G or did beane make the right move why?

Idk, but I definitely feel like the Bills should’ve given him one more year as it’s typical for NFL players and especially D-lineman to make their biggest jump their 3rd season. 

I think its fair to say that Boogie would have been at best the 4th best DE.  Maybe, he is better than Shaq, AJE and Kingsley but how much better??  If the difference is small and someone had to go, why that the guy with the best trade value?  

I did not see Boogie separate himself from Shaq, AJE and Kingsley but Im not a NFL scout.  I will assume that Boogie had the best trade value and thats what made the decision.  I know we always want to keep the very best for the coming season, but again we are talking about a guy who could not separate himself as the 4th DE.

I know that a swap in late round picks does not sound like much, but it will give the Bills access to 32 more and theoretically better players in an upcoming draft. I like that return better than keeping Boogie and letting one of the others walk and getting nothing in return.  

4 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

If he does, it will be because of a change in scheme. Unlike Teller, Basham had plenty of chances here to prove himself in actual regular season games.

Teller had limited chances here, but the little bit he did play, he looked more promising.

Teller was traded for the same reasons, numbers, someone wasn't going to make the team.  But in Basham's case he had time to prove to Beane that he didn't need to sign Floyd or Ford this off season.  But both Basham and AJ's play left Beane feeling they needed more.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

I think Wyatt Teller is the reason why the Bills have gotten behind Spencer Brown.  Unfortunately, I don’t see Brown as “the next Wyatt Teller” 

I dunno. OTs are difficult to find unless  a team spends large on one in FA or hits on one drafted highly. I think they’re trusting their evaluation of a raw, third round pick. I don’t have faith in it working out and I think Brown should’ve had better competition in camp, but I think the team’s process is defensible. I don’t think they should’ve given up on him, just provided better competition. 

4 hours ago, Coldfronts said:

really…next Wyatt teller?

big difference. Teller was trade out of his rookie camp not 2 yrs in.  

bills traded him because of him possibly getting cut due to depth and injuries.

• Disagree 2

53 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

He did mess up with Broeker though:cry:

nes a 7 th round on a top team in thr league with a lot of depth already.  Usually 6 th, 7 th rounders aren’t going to make the team to start. Thry are usually designated for PS

id like the league to adopt a protected prospect development of those drafted 5th or later or undrafted wherr thry can go on PS for 1 yr without having to clear waivers. But it means they are 100% PS for the season.thry can’t get plucked by other teams.  Limit of 4. These are for 2 years or less prospects with exceptions for full season injury loses.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

really…next Wyatt teller?

big difference. Teller was trade out of his rookie camp not 2 yrs in.  

bills traded him because of him possibly getting cut due to depth and injuries.

Teller was traded before the 2019 season. He was drafted in 2018 and spent that year on the Bills. He was a back up until he had to start due to injuries. He wound up starting almost half the season for the Bills. 

Edited by BarleyNY

I think teller gets a little more hype than deserved. He’s been pretty fantastic in Cleveland but he’s also run blocking 30-50 times a game and not doing a ton of pass pro. Not sure he’s as highly rated or getting the second contract had he stayed in Buffalo. 
As for Basham, I think he will have more success with the giants. 3-4 defensive end with Leanord Williams and dexter Lawrence by you? Kayvon I won’t butcher his last name but #5 rushing off the edge, he’s in a great spot to get more playing time which should boost his stats. Maybe he can develop into something good, but he’s probably going to bounce around the league some as a bridge player or backup like shaq lawson did. 

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

As for Basham, I think he will have more success with the giants. 3-4 defensive end with Leanord Williams and dexter Lawrence by you?

The Giants plan on playing Boogie as an OLB in their 3-4 defense.  He is too small and short to play 5 technique for their D. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Let me first say that I think scheme fit is a thing, but only relatively, and mostly applies to depth players.

I think really good football players find a way to be really good football players in multiple schemes. 

Scenarios like Wyatt Teller “not being a scheme fit” but being an all pro elsewhere are an issue wither either talent evaluation/FO and/or coaching. 

Similarly if Elam turns out to be a strong corner in another defense that’s a scar on the Bills org not “the scheme”. 

You put players in a position to succeed. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, freddyjj said:

The Giants plan on playing Boogie as an OLB in their 3-4 defense.  He is too small and short to play 5 technique for their D. 

I stand corrected, I was under the impression they weren’t gonna stand him up based on chatting with some of their fans about him. 

7 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I predict this thread gets bumped every time he has a sack

So twice then, right?

21 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

No *****in' way.  Boogie was a double D bust.  All his "success" in the preseason was against 2's and 3's.  He'll disappear against the first string as he has since he was drafted.

You have a problem with double D busts?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Coldfronts said:

You are going to get a lot of flack for this, and probably more so just given the Teller comparison as Teller has become one of the best at his position.  But personally, I think Boogie has a real chance to get more opportunities there and develop.  And he has shown some flashes, even this preseason.  I watched an interview with Boogie early in camp and I came away impressed with him, his outlook, mindset, etc.  

Sometimes things like a change of scenery, new system, more opportunities, etc are all a young players needs.  Look at Jerry Hughes, he was seen as a big bust in Indy when we traded for him and then he came in here and was a pretty good player for us for 9 years.  

Teller is a high bar to set for anyone, not many get to that level, so don't know he is destined to be the next Teller.  But I also don't think the idea of him breaking out there is crazy.  

All that being said, he wasn't able to set himself apart here so regardless I think the right choice was to trade him.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

22 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

In 2 years Boogie will be boogie-ing right out of the league.

Meh. He’s a bust for the Bills because we drafted him in the second round. That taints him here. But to everyone else he will be a capable backup DE who can kick inside if needed. He can last in the league. Just look at Shaq Lawson. No so great as far as a first round pick and I am glad we didn’t pay him. But he’s pretty nice to have as a backup at vet minimum. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.