Oh no, poor billionaires losing money.

Pine Barrens Mafia

58 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

IEventually they'll put the playoffs and Super Bowl on PPV and charge $100, and all games will end up on pay as you go services. In doing so, they'll lose fans like myself, but all things reach a peak then regress and the same is or will happen with the NFL. It has already started to lose me a bit.

43 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Not in my lifetime. 

NFL is so corrupt that if that was the limiting factor you would find a horse's head in your bed as a warning.

5 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

You can counter with whatever, the reason it exists is for out of towners to watch their team.   Logistically it gets a lot more complicated to have 32 packages vs one.  I bet you think the price would be less?   And no there is a sunday ticket only option.  

30 teams in MLB/NBA each. The team packages cost less than the "all" teams packages. A lot more games as well. I think a lot of were hoping for a team only option once it was announced. Why can't the NFL figure this out is my real question. 

I go to 3-4 games a year living in VA, buy merchandise etc. The NFL gets plenty of my money. They don't get to jave all of it. I get to to choose exactly what I want to pay for in those cases. 

The technology exist. They could do it if they really wanted to, but they choose not too because they know people will pay for the full packages. Lets rehash this down the road when the NFL finally comes around...which I firmly believe they will. They can have more of my money when that day comes.

Edited by 716
Added

1 minute ago, 716 said:

30 teams in MLB/NBA each. The team packages cost less than the "all" teams packages. I think a lot of were hoping for a team only option once it was announced. Why can't the NFL figure this out is my real question. 

I go to 3-4 games a year living in VA, buy merchandise etc. The NFL gets plenty of my money. They don't get to jave all of it. I get to to choose exactly what I want to pay for in those cases. 

The technology exist. They could do it if they really wanted to, but they choose not too because they know people will pay for the full packages. Lets rehash this down the road when the NFL finally comes around...which I firmly believe they will. They can have more of my money when that day comes.

Mlb and nba games are spread over the days of the week nfl Sunday ticket is two windows.  1pm a and 4pm on Sunday…that’s the difference.  I wish it was cheaper too but dont hold your breath on it getting cheaper even on a single team basis.  

4 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Mlb and nba games are spread over the days of the week nfl Sunday ticket is two windows.  1pm a and 4pm on Sunday…that’s the difference.  I wish it was cheaper too but dont hold your breath on it getting cheaper even on a single team basis.  

I hear you, but I think it would be impossible for them to justify charging full price for a "team option". I have no idea how it would look, but I feel like it's coming eventually. If they want to nickle and dime back some of that $28B, they'll have too. Again..all just my humble opinion.

Edited by 716
Autocorrect fix

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

I only watch the games on network TV and ESPN. I haven't bothered with Amazon and haven't missed Thursday night games a bit. I won't pay peacock or you tube either, and I don't stream (my PC is old and too slow to stream anything, and I just don't care enough)

Eventually they'll put the playoffs and Super Bowl on PPV and charge $100, and all games will end up on pay as you go services. In doing so, they'll lose fans like myself, but all things reach a peak then regress and the same is or will happen with the NFL. It has already started to lose me a bit.

Falling off my soap box.

I do t think they will ever go PPV.   They would lose fans and that would mean less revenue for other revenue steams like merch…it’s a fine line and what they are doing  now is working well.   I don’t think you can stop the streams.  Just like you can’t stop all shoplifting.   Any business has loss.  It’s cat and mouse and the mice have technology on their side right now.  

1 minute ago, 716 said:

I hear you, but I think it would be impossible for them to justify charging full price for a "team option". I have no idea how it would look, but I feel like it's coming eventually. If they want to nickle and dime back some of that $28B, they'll have too. Again..all just my humble opinion.

Maybe there is a way to thread the needle of getting more subs at a lower rate generating more revenue than what they have now.   But I am not sure.   I bet they have spent some resources trying to figure it out.   One thing I thought when Google got the ticket is if anyone can help shut down streams it would be google vs the jokers at directv.  

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Thats completely outdated.  You now have games on Thursday night, Sunday morning (london games), sunday at 1 & 4, Sunday night, and Monday night. And at the end of the year, throw in Saturday games.  

To watch them all?  You need 4? (I’ve lost count) different paid packages of some sort.  

28 minutes ago, 716 said:

I doubt that it is coming for whatever the duration of the deal with You Tube is.  The current model is designed to enable the rights holder to drive new subscribers to their service and retain/upsell existing subscribers.  That is the value You Tube is getting in return for their huge financial commitment.  The owners are getting guaranteed revenue. It is identical to the DirecTV model except steaming vs satellite.  I agree with you that the future will look different in all likelihood but they have clearly decided to stay with the safe known quantity for now.  Baby steps. I am sure they will eventually figure out how have all their cake and eat all yours too.  

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I am repeating myself but…They don’t  care!!!

The current system of handing out broadcast rights is making them fistfuls of $$$. No need to fix something that isn’t broke. 

They are able to do this due to a statutory anti-trust exemption that could be removed at any time.  They actually are supposed to have all broadcasting under the Sports Broadcasting Act available OTA but they satisfy this requirement by rebroadcasts only in the home cities.  

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Thats completely outdated.  You now have games on Thursday night, Sunday morning (london games), sunday at 1 & 4, Sunday night, and Monday night. And at the end of the year, throw in Saturday games.  

To watch them all?  You need 4? (I’ve lost count) different paid packages of some sort.  

It is not outdated.  I don’t think you are following the conversation.   The Sunday ticket is for 1pm and 4pm Sunday games only.  

• Like (+1) 1

"Legal" and "Illegal" are only snapshots of what the current technology and "laws" are that govern them.

"Laws" are a tricky thing.  No one can tell me they don't at times benefit those with the most expensive lawyers.

Years ago, living in Colorado Springs I could "legally" go to a friend's house who had one of those "big dish" satellite setup and watch

the Bills playing the NY Jets on NBC (I believe back then) feed from NYC.  Then the feeds were scrambled.  Don't see many of those

big dishes anymore, do you.  People spent a lot of money and then the "laws" pulled the rug out from under them.

A capitalistic society usually benefits those with the most capital.  Is it "illegal" for my brother to Zoom me the feed from the local Buffalo

CBS channel during a Buffalo Bills game?  The legal answer is no, it does not go against copyright laws.  The vast amount of NFL games

are broadcasted over the air somewhere.  If I had the technology to go get the "free" broadcast, I would do it.  Actually, I can!

My buddy has PLEX on his server and it can be used to stream any movies, music, home movies and pictures to anyone he has authorized to 

share that with.  He has about 1,000 movies and all kinds of music.  It's a channel app like any other you can add onto Roku or Firesticks.

When I travel, I take it with me on my Roku and access all this media.

He could upgrade to Plex Pass, for a monthly $4.99 charge for his side only, to capture over the air TV and stream it to all his other devices

AND to anyone who he shares with.  I'm talking to him about testing this with his system first.

It's all "legal" under the personal private sharing laws today.  I've been thinking of setting my brother up with a Plex server, so I get all the Buffalo TV broadcasts, thus, Buffalo Bills games, for in essence free once I test it all out at my buddy's house for $4.99.

Alls I'm saying, if the NFL got its way, all personal private sharing of any media would become "illegal".  It would "brick" all apps that now allow 

sharing.  I don't think any of us want that.

7 hours ago, Bockeye said:

Works great until you’re working your a$$ off digging 5 ditches a day, Johnny is digging 1, and Bobby hasn’t dug a single ditch because he’s methed out, yet you all get the same pay at the end of the day. 

Is this how we’re identifying the classes?

Poor people = lazy as hell do nothings and idiots with no goals in life?

Rich people = crooked, blood sucking money makers with no morals?

This is a very interesting thread to say the least. 

Go Bills!

Exactly.

I was being sarcastic. Equality equals communism when it comes to $.

• Like (+1) 2

And the rich get richer.
It’s a shame that the young fans will be priced out of going to games, just using pocket money as we could back in the day.  Even earning less than $10/hr as a late teen/early 20’s, a $16 ticket was affordable. We went to a lot of games. 

(And concerts)

But, it’s capitalism. Supply and Demand. As long as NFL games continue to sell out, prices will keep going up. 

Just thankful that I came of age when large events didn’t cost several days take home wages and was able to experience many great Bills games and just about every big act in rock. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 9/2/2023 at 5:22 AM, 716 said:

I would happily pay for a team only option, and maybe a redzone add on. Until then.....ehhh. Streaming has worked pretty well for me for years. 

Yeah, it would be nice for a single team option.  I'd go for that.  They've probably done market research and figured most people buy to watch their team.  

I usually find what I need for free.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/2/2023 at 2:30 AM, Bockeye said:

Works great until you’re working your a$$ off digging 5 ditches a day, Johnny is digging 1, and Bobby hasn’t dug a single ditch because he’s methed out, yet you all get the same pay at the end of the day. 

Is this how we’re identifying the classes?

Poor people = lazy as hell do nothings and idiots with no goals in life?

Rich people = crooked, blood sucking money makers with no morals?

This is a very interesting thread to say the least. 

Go Bills!

If you asked a hundred people they'd all be worried about the same thing... which ostensibly means everyone would be the good workers and nobody would be lazy😂😂😂

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/2/2023 at 5:31 PM, SoMAn said:

And the rich get richer.
It’s a shame that the young fans will be priced out of going to games, just using pocket money as we could back in the day.  Even earning less than $10/hr as a late teen/early 20’s, a $16 ticket was affordable. We went to a lot of games. 

(And concerts)

But, it’s capitalism. Supply and Demand. As long as NFL games continue to sell out, prices will keep going up. 

Just thankful that I came of age when large events didn’t cost several days take home wages and was able to experience many great Bills games and just about every big act in rock. 

My first game was at the Rockpile.  I walked from Blasdell there with one person recognizing me and giving me ride part of way on his way to work.

I paid for game using money I got from collecting cans and bottles and turning them in for deposit.

Actually got ticket from one of the guys at game who talked to a friend and had extra.

I got my ass beaten for not being home in time for dinner but my mother never found out I went to a game.

No way could a kid do that these days

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/1/2023 at 6:21 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

I understand your angle, I respect you as a poster and as a cool dude.

The truth is, governments aren't playing fair, big business would slash our throats if it meant a green arrow next to their stock. Those 2 feed off each other and take, and take and take and take... and now are boo-hooing we have nothing left to take.

Honestly it's noble of you to try and stay within the rules, but if the little man is playing by rules the big one doesn't have, eventually they'll pop you like a balloon.

Maybe not in your lifetime, or the next, but: inheritances are no longer feasible with inflation. The money you saved up to pass down, maybe even in hopes it could be passed down multiple generations.... it's already taken from you. It's worth fractions of what you earned.

And its not just money taken. Your time at work (away from family), was stolen as they keep printing. Your generations life savings- is worthless. You traded your literal life, and your time with your family, and recreation AKA living a human life... and that money is no longer going to reach a 2nd generation. Its a theft of life and legacy.

The tooth paste bottle is empty. Its been gone, but they're getting every last drop out of it, even if it's 5 streaming services at $10/pop. 

Lord help me I'm sorry, I got too fired up, but I believe it's all true. The rich can enjoy their dirty plaque filled mouths, because they took it all

FALL OF ROME is already gaining speed hard

First off it’s Augie. Second Rome is falling and Robin Hood is a sauce for the masses but stealing is stealing. If you are good with theft you have probably never owned a business. Thanks. 

On 9/2/2023 at 1:20 PM, ColoradoBills said:

"Legal" and "Illegal" are only snapshots of what the current technology and "laws" are that govern them.

"Laws" are a tricky thing.  No one can tell me they don't at times benefit those with the most expensive lawyers.

Years ago, living in Colorado Springs I could "legally" go to a friend's house who had one of those "big dish" satellite setup and watch

the Bills playing the NY Jets on NBC (I believe back then) feed from NYC.  Then the feeds were scrambled.  Don't see many of those

big dishes anymore, do you.  People spent a lot of money and then the "laws" pulled the rug out from under them.

A capitalistic society usually benefits those with the most capital.  Is it "illegal" for my brother to Zoom me the feed from the local Buffalo

CBS channel during a Buffalo Bills game?  The legal answer is no, it does not go against copyright laws.  The vast amount of NFL games

are broadcasted over the air somewhere.  If I had the technology to go get the "free" broadcast, I would do it.  Actually, I can!

My buddy has PLEX on his server and it can be used to stream any movies, music, home movies and pictures to anyone he has authorized to 

share that with.  He has about 1,000 movies and all kinds of music.  It's a channel app like any other you can add onto Roku or Firesticks.

When I travel, I take it with me on my Roku and access all this media.

He could upgrade to Plex Pass, for a monthly $4.99 charge for his side only, to capture over the air TV and stream it to all his other devices

AND to anyone who he shares with.  I'm talking to him about testing this with his system first.

It's all "legal" under the personal private sharing laws today.  I've been thinking of setting my brother up with a Plex server, so I get all the Buffalo TV broadcasts, thus, Buffalo Bills games, for in essence free once I test it all out at my buddy's house for $4.99.

Alls I'm saying, if the NFL got its way, all personal private sharing of any media would become "illegal".  It would "brick" all apps that now allow 

sharing.  I don't think any of us want that.

It’s called the golden rule. He or She who has the most gold makes the rules. 

• Agree 2

On 9/2/2023 at 5:04 PM, Reks Ryan said:

Not a good comparison.   If a store overprices goods they open the door for a competitor to take their business.  The customer who is willing to pay $1.00 for a bag of potatoes, but can't afford $.20 each, can go the grocery store and buy it by the bag, or perhaps a new covenience store.     If there's a market to make a profit on $1.00 bags of potatoes with a little effort consumers will be able to get them.  They dont need to steal, just don't give your business to the  overpriced store.

The NFL has a limited anti-trrust exemption and is essentially a monoply.   Of course, customers can choose not to consume NFL football.  But unlike potatoes, you don't have a choice to legally buy it somewhere else. 

True, the NFL has a monopoly. But the fundamental point I was trying to make stands. The reason they break the rights up in the way they do is to maximise their profits and they don't care about the impact on the consumer. If the consumers respond by finding ways outside of the law around the monopoly then it is a bit rich for the monopoly to cry about it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 4:50 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Think they'll sell a gulfstream or two?

I'd tell them think if that as your payment share for tax payer funded stadiums.  I'm don't support them in this quest to line their pockets deeper.  Let them inventvir discover something that truly benefits everyone.  

On 9/1/2023 at 5:09 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Exactly the point of this thread

as long as they don't care, no one should care about pirate streams

I don't and if they continue they will find th a twin people b can live c without their entertainment they need new writers for their scripted outcomes.  

On 9/1/2023 at 5:14 PM, LabattBlue said:

Oops.  I got sidetracked.   If I was the NFL, I would also do everything possible to shutdown pirated streams.  I pay to watch games on Amazon, Peacock, and ESPN.  So should all the thiefs. 

Your probably taking this all to personally. It's a little weird 

The letter to USPTO says that the sports industry is losing around $28 billion each year because people who watch illegal streams don't have a reason to switch to paid streams or subscriptions

Here's a thought, they're not paying for streaming services anyway.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Premier League & Champion's League is more accesible than the NFL, and those are European soccer competitions

Also, you have Billionaire's extorting taxpayers to pay for their ridiculous stadiums, or threatening to move the franchise out of the state. 

Sure don't steal, but lose me with any kind of empathy or sympathy for these modern day oil barons

Buffalo Taxpayer Bill for new stadium that costs 1.4B - 850M

Net worth of Terry Pegula: 6.8B

Oh and they have the gall to charge you $60 for two hot dogs, some fries and two beers, after y'all pay for over 50% of the stadium

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, appoo said:

The Premier League & Champion's League is more accesible than the NFL, and those are European soccer competitions

Also, you have Billionaire's extorting taxpayers to pay for their ridiculous stadiums, or threatening to move the franchise out of the state. 

Sure don't steal, but lose me with any kind of empathy or sympathy for these modern day oil barons

That which I bolded I 100% agree with.

• Like (+1) 1

The crackdown appears to be working.  In 2020 I could find all the Bills games somewhere on the internet, it was the Covid year & I didn't want to go out & watch them in a crowded place.  Last year I could find all the Thursday night Amazon games available on sites with no sign up.  This year I cannot find any anonymous sites with the Thursday night game.  

5 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The crackdown appears to be working.  In 2020 I could find all the Bills games somewhere on the internet, it was the Covid year & I didn't want to go out & watch them in a crowded place.  Last year I could find all the Thursday night Amazon games available on sites with no sign up.  This year I cannot find any anonymous sites with the Thursday night game.  

Thursday night football has always been free on the twitch app.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, appoo said:

Buffalo Taxpayer Bill for new stadium that costs 1.4B - 850M

Net worth of Terry Pegula: 6.8B

Oh and they have the gall to charge you $60 for two hot dogs, some fries and two beers, after y'all pay for over 50% of the stadium

I'll gladly pay the my portion of taxes to keep the Bills here.  I pay for the Jets and Giants, I am about to pay a tax hike to drive on a road thats already been paid for 100 times over.   Last thing I am going to complain about paying taxes on is something I actually enjoy.   Its a futile complaint anyways.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Want me to tell you the one I use?

Not a chance COPPER!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

So its ok to steal from someone as long as they are billionaires?

Oh the class envy in this thread is palatable.

Agreed.

The NFL's media rights contract has an aggregate value of $110 billion, but it's vital to remember that advertising revenue, the single most significant component of this financial basis, is contingent on consistent viewership. If that wanes, the fiscal equilibrium of the entire system is f'ed. Forecasts suggest that the global streaming market's valuation could ascend to approximately $688.7 billion by 2024 however the streaming industry is currently in a state of flux, and if viewership dips, so do profits, putting the NFL's advertising matrix in danger. In short - the networks rely heavily on live sports, and if people are streaming them, they lose value and will not pay the NFL, thus putting in danger the product.

That being said, I do understand and empathize with those with little care for elites (or class envy, as you wrote). Historically, wealth concentration has seen pronounced upward movement, particularly in recent decades. According to the Economic Policy Institute, while the top 1% of American families held roughly 23% of the total wealth in 1989, this percentage surged to 33% by 2019. This can lead to an "us vs them" mentality, exacerbated by folk heroes like Robin Hood who steal from the rich and give to the poor. This mentality often makes people see theft from a higher class as acceptable. 

Back to the Robin Hood effect. There was a study released back during covid times that showed a substantial minority of people do not see a problem with the use of ransomware for Robin Hood purposes (stealing from the rich to give to the poor). Similarly, with the NFL piracy streams, many people recognize the illegality and potential harm of accessing pirated content, however, there is a not insignificant number of fans who are unable to access games due to regional restrictions or high subscription fees or whatever else have you, and have no issue resorting to illegal streams as they view it as a necessary means to an end. It's also class'ist, as you mentioend. In the study, when the cyber attacks were conducted by members of a similar group against another group (citizens of one country against another), they were viewed more favorably. This in-group versus out-group dynamic can also be seen in the NFL piracy issue. Fans might be more forgiving or understanding of fellow fans (in-group) who resort to piracy due to various constraints, while they might be critical of larger, organized piracy operations (out-group) that profit from illegal streaming.

This is where Differential Association comes into play. If you believe in Edwin Sutherland's theory on criminality, then it can argued that criminal behaviors are not inherent but learned. In the case of NFL stream piracy this suggests that people often acquire this knowledge through interactions with others. It could be a friend sharing a link, a recommendation on a forum like this one, or just a casual discussions about the game that night. Common reasoning tactics, such as "Everyones doing it" or "Official subscriptions are too expensive" becomes deeply ingrained in the persons mindset, blurring boundaries of what they would typically find acceptable. If someone is surrounded by peers who regularly access pirated content it may feel normal or even routine to engage in these activities. Put simply, NFL piracy might be rationalized by fans who feel locked out due to expensive subscription packages by portraying their actions as a response to corporate greed or gatekeeping.

On the oter hand, in an environment where legal viewership is highly valued and respected the temptation to resort to piracy diminishes. This aligns with Sutherlands argument that an individuals actions can be swayed by the prevailing definitions of what's legal or illegal, ethical or not ethical. When the voices advocating or even celebrating piracy overpower those championing legal consumption, it tilts the scales towards illegal practices. The other reason is perhaps rooted in a shared passion for the sport and the sense of community that comes with watching games together. However how this desire manifests itself. Such as subscribing to authorized services or resorting to pirated streams. Is influenced by factors explained by the Differential Association theory. In essence while it may seem like an act of disobedience streaming pirated NFL content is actually part of a complex web of social interactions and learned behaviors.

Perhaps most importantly - The NFL's approach to broadcasting rights and distribution channels emerge primarily from consumer behaviors. These decisions are less a reflection of the broader macroeconomic forces behind wealth inequality and more an outcome of the league's strategic choice to give fans what they want. the problem is, while doing so, they lose their intellectual proprerty to pirates. Remember the days when everyone complained about cable packages with a zillion channels of which we cares for or used approximately ten? Many of us wanted more tailored viewing options, and now we have them. It's the market trying to adapt to our demands, albeit imperfectly.  As for black markets, sure, they spring up when organizations miss the mark, or in some cases, where they hit the mark perfectly but at too high of a price. But just because they exist doesn't make them right or sustainable. Remember when music piracy was rampant? Then along came Spotify, Apple Music, etc., and suddenly, most of us are paying for music again because the value and convenience were clear.

Edited by Einstein
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I'll gladly pay the my portion of taxes to keep the Bills here.  I pay for the Jets and Giants, I am about to pay a tax hike to drive on a road thats already been paid for 100 times over.   Last thing I am going to complain about paying taxes on is something I actually enjoy.   Its a futile complaint anyways.

People who complain about taxes usually have more than enough money to survive and aren't hurting in the least. What gets me is the very same people that do usually support people that allow wealthy people to AVOID paying their fair share of taxes, unless it is a professional sports team owner, then suddenly it's an outrage the public has to fund a stadium.

• Agree 2

When I can pay for the individual game/s I want to Stream, I will gladly pay. I don't need an entire package of games all season that I will not watch.  Half the Bills games are free over the air in Saratoga County NY. Why in the hell would I pay a stupid amount of $ for a handful of games?

Until the NFL or any sporting outlet understands this, illegal streaming will only grow more and more.  It's not that hard to port over to other countries servers either even if they somehow lock down the US pirate streams.  I hope the NFL is ready to take on the WWW like Germany tried? Good luck...

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.