Kirksey signing with the Bills PS

ndirish1978

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Let’s just hope no one else poaches him

He can't be poached unless we elevate him more than 3x after the trade deadline when ALL players are subject to waivers

OR

He chooses to go

Practice squad players are FA, they can choose whether to go or to say "no, I'm good".

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Mark Long Beach said:

How is he not on a 53?  

On the one hand, the Texans signed a couple FA and drafted a LB in the 5th round so they actually had some competition at LB. On the other hand, he was beat out by 10 year vet Denzel Perryman.  On the third hand, he was injured for all 3 preseason games so he didn't put any tape down that other teams could evaluate.

I'm happy about the signing of a capable vet MLB to our practice squad - someone who has started a season more recently (2022) than Klein (2018, 2019)

I'm a little freaked out by the fans here annointing him immediately as our starter.  I don't want to be "that Guy" but he did just get cut by the team that drafted #2 overall 

31 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He can't be poached unless we elevate him more than 3x after the trade deadline when ALL players are subject to waivers

OR

He chooses to go

Practice squad players are FA, they can choose whether to go or to say "no, I'm good".

This is not even gonna be an issue
I predict that he will spend a couple of weeks on the practice squad while he gets acclimated and then he will get elevated to the team and started

Bernard will back him up. Dodson will be waived.

I’m actually still surprise the Dodson is still on the team that is how bad he has played

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Excellent get! I feel much better now. Any idea how long before he’s fully healthy?

Article on why the Texans cut him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-texans-53-man-roster-cutdown-day-christian-kirksey-demeco-ryans

If it was a Grade 2 type strain, I think that's usually about a month injury.  He apparently was injured just a few days into training camp,  so having him pretty much healed and ready to start bringing himself into playing shape about now is reasonable.

10 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

He turns 31 tomorrow and is not a particularly good player. He’s serviceable though. Heck, as of today that might make him the best MLB on the roster. And he’s always seemed to be a good dude - the kind of person you want to root for. 

Happy Birthday to You, Christian Kirksey! 

I'm curious about this "not a particularly good player" thing.  He started his career on some absolute "Factory of Sadness" Browns teams, earned a 2nd contract, then started to struggle with injuries.  Last season was the first time in 5 years he played a full season.

Usually guys who are "not particularly good players" don't keep getting chances from various teams once the injury bug bites and they're cut loose.  So I'm wondering what more you can say.

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He is an 8 year vet…he won’t need a lot of time to ramp up.  I think he starts week 1.

He just spent the last month in the training room.  He needs to get into shape as well as learn the playbook.  I think you're mistaken.

6 hours ago, billieve420 said:

We need someone competent at middle LB not an all star. Kirksey is nice insurance policy in case Dodson or Bernard falter.

I can't say that I watched him play much. But looking at the stats, Kirksey had more tackles, more tackles for loss, more sacks, more INT's, more passes defended and more QB hits last year that Tremaine Edmonds. 

Statistically speaking, Kirksey was better last year than all but one year of Edmonds career.

Getting average play at the position will most likely be a huge improvement over what Dodson or Bernard will provide. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

For you it is, for the other 99% of us it’s a step in the right direction, but you do you…, 

😂

Step in the right direction would mean that there is a concern there. Come on man… Jibe all you want. 

Hey. You do you. 

I like how everybody knew this is what they should do, and it just happened. Great job everyone. Seriously I like it a lot - solid vet that's apparently close to Hyde and Poyer. It certainly can't hurt and the upside seems tremendous.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

On the one hand, the Texans signed a couple FA and drafted a LB in the 5th round so they actually had some competition at LB. On the other hand, he was beat out by 10 year vet Denzel Perryman.  On the third hand, he was injured for all 3 preseason games so he didn't put any tape down that other teams could evaluate.

I'm happy about the signing of a capable vet MLB to our practice squad - someone who has started a season more recently (2022) than Klein (2018, 2019)

I'm a little freaked out by the fans here annointing him immediately as our starter.  I don't want to be "that Guy" but he did just get cut by the team that drafted #2 overall 

Yes, don’t be that ‘guy’..🙃 Brand new HC looking to put his stamp on a traditionally losing franchise who -A. had little opportunity to evaluate him personally due to hamstring and -B. saved the team $5M towards their cap. I get the semi-bewilderment but we failed to acceptably replace our 5 year, multiple PB, Defensive Captain through preseason, only to luck into a competent, veteran after roster cutdowns. I/many of us are breathing a huge sign of relief as we look to next years’ Draft/FA.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This gives us a replacement level player at MLB. I'll take it. It is still a position of weakness but at least now it isn't a gaping hole. I'm not sure Dodson and Bernard are even 2nd string caliber players.

Why have we been developing Dodson all this time only for him to suck that badly? Not good for a head coach who supposedly knows defense.

• Eyeroll 1

25 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Why have we been developing Dodson all this time only for him to suck that badly? Not good for a head coach who supposedly knows defense.

Pry because they expected Bernard to win the job.  They know he's a backup that offers his most value on Special Teams.  There's a reason he went undrafted.

15 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

Elite defense get blown out in the playoffs, everyone knows that. 

@Araiza Curse and @newcam2012 are cheap trolls who could only afford to split a pair of TB12's UGGs, so they can Rex-Ryan-Sniff them for their jollies...

Crawl back under your respective bridges, please and thank you. 

6 hours ago, billieve420 said:

We need someone competent at middle LB not an all star. Kirksey is nice insurance policy in case Dodson or Bernard falter.

I think it's deeper than that. 

You imply that Dodson and or Bernard are competent. I contend neither is close to being a starter. 

It's really a pretty bad situation for the Bills. 

IMHO, all three aren't very good but Kirksey is likely the best of the three. I like the puck but I still think it's a major weaknesses of the defense. 

Al defenses have weaknesses. Hopefully, McD can work around it. 

2 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Oh, baby, THIS is the quality content I'm here for. 😘

Just like your post was. Making accusations that are ridiculous. 

Look in the mirror. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

He just spent the last month in the training room.  He needs to get into shape as well as learn the playbook.  I think you're mistaken.

The only thing that would hold him back is the injury, not the playbook.  They just need to learn new terminology.

Players get traded and play within that week with the new team all the time.

Lawyer Milloy was signed September 3rd and started for our home opener on September 7th.  We still have more than two weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a great pick up for insurance assuming Bernard doesn't work out. We just need someone who doesn't suck in that position and he's probably an upgrade over Bernard/Dotson. The guy had better stats than Tremaine, not that stats are the best indicator. As long as we have someone at MLB who isn't a complete liability we are good, and I think Kirksey provides that. We aren't looking for a Tremaine replacement as his best traits were elite physical ones not instincts. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

@Araiza Curse and @newcam2012 are cheap trolls who could only afford to split a pair of TB12's UGGs, so they can Rex-Ryan-Sniff them for their jollies...

Crawl back under your respective bridges, please and thank you. 

@Araiza Curse, formerly that ironmaiden dude is back!!! LOL!!!  The day dude got the boot was a treat.  He changed his name mid meltdown before the 🥾  Complete and utter meltdown of epic proportions.  🤣 glad I got to see it all unfold.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I'm curious about this "not a particularly good player" thing.  He started his career on some absolute "Factory of Sadness" Browns teams, earned a 2nd contract, then started to struggle with injuries.  Last season was the first time in 5 years he played a full season.

Usually guys who are "not particularly good players" don't keep getting chances from various teams once the injury bug bites and they're cut loose.  So I'm wondering what more you can say.

I am originally from Cleveland and still follow the Browns too. I watched Kirksey play for six years. He’s possibly an upgrade to what’s on the Bills roster so I’m not knocking the signing. My comments were aimed at those acting like we just signed Bobby Wagner or that he is an upgrade from Edmunds (or even comparable).

Kirksey has been a below average to average MLB to date. And he’s had a lot of injury issues. One big caveat is that he has mostly played on poor defensive squads. He only played with decent talent around him for one season in GB. He may do better here with the talent on this defense. Again, it’s a good signing in that it’s better than what we know we have on the roster. Heck, I wouldn’t knock any PS signing under almost any circumstance anyway. But the reaction by some has been ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I am originally from Cleveland and still follow the Browns too. I watched Kirksey play for six years. He’s possibly an upgrade to what’s on the Bills roster so I’m not knocking the signing. My comments were aimed at those acting like we just signed Bobby Wagner or that he is an upgrade from Edmunds (or even comparable).

Kirksey has been a below average to average MLB to date. And he’s had a lot of injury issues. One big caveat is that he has mostly played on poor defensive squads. He only played with decent talent around him for one season in GB. He may do better here with the talent on this defense. Again, it’s a good signing in that it’s better than what we know we have on the roster. Heck, I wouldn’t knock any PS signing under almost any circumstance anyway. But the reaction by some has been ridiculous. 

Blaspheming non-believer

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Average play from MLB is exactly what we need.  I'll be very happy with that, and just not having a liability there.  Jury is out on Bernard, but Kirksey moves the needle vs Dodson (like you said).

I might be way off, but I'm looking for Coach to deploy more big nickel (Rapp) and dime looks (Neal).  If that occurs, guessing we need approx 70% snaps from our MLB. 

Might be an improvement on the 30% snaps (Vs Edmunds), or similar.  

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Just like your post was. Making accusations that are ridiculous. 

Look in the mirror. 

A couple of points:

-My comment was witty, grammatically and stylistically flawless, and it harkened back to a Buffalo Bills coaching choice mistake we all like to poke fun at. This is quality.

-If my accusation that you troll others on this board with negative posts about the Bills is ridiculous, you can easily prove this. Want to know how, my good chap? 

Here's how: Stop posting low-quality negative vitriol about the Bills. Plain and simple. Want to prove my accusation ridiculous? Then post positive, well-researched content. 

Or, keep doing what you do. 

Good night, old chap. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Kirksey entered training camp as a lock to make the Texans' 53-man roster. But a few days into camp, the veteran linebacker sustained an injured hamstring. The injury forced Kirksey to miss nearly a month, which included all three preseason games. 

With the release of Kirksey, the Texans saved $5.2 million in cap space.

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-texans-53-man-roster-cutdown-day-christian-kirksey-demeco-ryans

might be a good catch for a bargain price.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The only thing that would hold him back is the injury, not the playbook.  They just need to learn new terminology.

Players get traded and play within that week with the new team all the time.

Lawyer Milloy was signed September 3rd and started for our home opener on September 7th.  We still have more than two weeks.

Agreed.

If Baker Mayfield can lead the Rams to a victory less than 48 hours after signing, a LB should be able to get ready in a week or so.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BBFL said:

😂

Step in the right direction would mean that there is a concern there. Come on man… Jibe all you want. 

Hey. You do you. 

Well, you can concern away to your heart’s content if that makes you feel better, 

• Like (+1) 1

Sal C throws cold water on Kirksey whenever he can. 

I think the fact that Bernard and Dodson are still "battling" on August 31st confirms what we all knew 0.01 seconds into this offseason, that Bernard and Dodson are not viable MLB, and we'll get confirmation of that Game 1 MNF against the Jets. 

Kirksey will be starting in Week 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Sal C throws cold water on Kirksey whenever he can. 

I think the fact that Bernard and Dodson are still "battling" on August 31st confirms what we all knew 0.01 seconds into this offseason, that Bernard and Dodson are not viable MLB, and we'll get confirmation of that Game 1 MNF against the Jets. 

Kirksey will be starting in Week 2. 

More like at the latest after halftime of game 1.  Assuming he doesn't retire...

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

OR

He chooses to go

Right. But he can still be poached.  He could say yes.  If it’s a couple weeks from now and he’s still not starting, anything can happen.  

1 minute ago, Doc said:

More like at the latest after halftime of game 1.  Assuming he doesn't retire...

Agree Doc. 

Beane said that he wanted to give the young guys a chance to establish themselves. 

They haven't, and we all knew it. 

Bernard is too small, Dodson is a fringe NFLer. 

Kirksey weighing over 230 pounds is Evidence #1 that he'll be better than those two. 

Evidence #2 is that he's started in the league for 5+ years. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.