Kirksey signing with the Bills PS

ndirish1978

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes but not well but that may be good enough for you.

He’s still an upgrade 

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

Oh noooo

He turns 31 tomorrow 

I like the younger  guys 30 or younger

Don’t let the wife see this!!! 

• Haha (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Is that for all players on PS or just a designated few? I thought they could only protect a couple players from being poached but it could change from week to week.

I'm not quite clear on that. A team can designate players as being "off limits" and have them remain on the squad, whereas the others would be fair game.

So, it's a little different. These new practice squad rules are very complex.

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah I think that’s the case, just l hope that he decides to stay

I mean it seems obvious to me that Kirksey likely knows he’s going to be the starter. Beane is merely stashing him on the PS until he knows the system to avoid taking up a spot on the 53

Not complicated 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

As I've said before, Beane always fills holes.  

But this is Houdini-like.   I guess he decided he'd just sign the best inside linebacker who was available after the cuts, and he knew the rosters well enough to know that there would be someone.   Still, it seems like this is later than the last minute.   It's like the last second. 

I have no idea about who Kirksey is, but he started everyplace he's been, so that says something.  The Bills just needed someone to stabilize the position.  KIein was the only guy they had who really knew and could execute the position, but his physical skills are too limited.   This is a guy who clearly has mastered defenses at other places, and he has a better physical skill set than Klein.   So, the Bills benefit because, when healthy and familiar with the defense, the guy's probably going to play until Dodson or Bernard or Williams passes him.  He's also going to be a better leader in the LB room, a guy who's veteran status should help the younger guys progress.  

Injury is the concern.  Bills need him healthy, maybe for as long as the entire season.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Is that for all players on PS or just a designated few? I thought they could only protect a couple players from being poached but it could change from week to week.

6 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm not quite clear on that. A team can designate players as being "off limits" and have them remain on the squad, whereas the others would be fair game.

So, it's a little different. These new practice squad rules are very complex.

Any player on the PS can also be "protected" by the original team elevating them to the active roster once they are notified of the outside claim. I believe they have to stay there for a certain amount of time as well.

edit, doing some googling on assigning protection:

"As of 2020, NFL practice squad rosters can consist of a maximum of 16 players. Six of those players can have unlimited NFL experience, and every Tuesday, each NFL team can protect four players from being signed to another NFL team's active roster"

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, DJB said:

I mean it seems obvious to me that Kirksey likely knows he’s going to be the starter. Beane is merely stashing him on the PS until he knows the system to avoid taking up a spot on the 53

Not complicated 

And Rapoport reported that Kirksey prioritized winning.   He liked going someplace where he has a shot to be on a really good team.   Browns, Packers, and Texans didn't really give him that.   So, I'm sure they've talked this all the way through, and both Beane and Kirksey know they're getting what each wants.  The guy is going to be on the roster, for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I will be honest, I never heard of Kirksey until a few days ago. 😂

Pretty solid vs the run not so great vs the pass. He's not great by any means. He's probably better than anyone the Bills have on their roster. Doesn't say a lot but his experience as a play caller is very good too. 

I think if he's healthy he will be the starter. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Shaw66 said:

And Rapoport reported that Kirksey prioritized winning.   He liked going someplace where he has a shot to be on a really good team.   Browns, Packers, and Texans didn't really give him that.   So, I'm sure they've talked this all the way through, and both Beane and Kirksey know they're getting what each wants.  The guy is going to be on the roster, for sure. 

And you have to respect that. This guy was one of the better players on that Browns team that won 1 game over two seasons. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

went to the PS to finalize contract. when that done? I think he will be put on the 53 man right away

I think this is a move to also not have to sign week 1 and guarantee contract.  If we signed him to the 53 that would be the case.  Talking him into PS was great move to get him in to learn.  If spot open stays past week 1, he will move up then.   He was probably being told by others, if there are any, we will sign you after week 1.   This lowers our  risk and we may provide the best opportunity.  

Edited by since79
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Pretty solid vs the run not so great vs the pass. He's not great by any means. He's probably better than anyone the Bills have on their roster. Doesn't say a lot but his experience as a play caller is very good too. 

I think if he's healthy he will be the starter. 

And if he's healthy and he isn't the starter, that means someone is playing pretty well.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I think he said when he got cut that he'd just gotten healthy, but he was looking for work at that point.

Reading between the lines you have a new HC and he wants "his guys" and the hamstring didn't help his case any.  But hey who cares, he is a Bill now!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's good to get some insurance. But I think people are getting ahead of themselves here as far as him taking over the MLB spot.

They signed the guy to the Practice Squad. Which means he's not getting a shot until a.) McDermott feels he's had enough time learning and b.) Bernard/Dodson have had their shot and failed.

If they truly felt as fans do that he's an immediate upgrade and needs to be put in the starting lineup immediately, they wouldn't have put him on the Practice Squad.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-texans-53-man-roster-cutdown-day-christian-kirksey-demeco-ryans

Kirksey entered training camp as a lock to make the Texans' 53-man roster. But a few days into camp, the veteran linebacker sustained an injured hamstring. The injury forced Kirksey to miss nearly a month, which included all three preseason games. 

Coach DeMeco Ryans described cutdown day as "touchy" and said telling a player his dream is over in Houston will be hard. And one of the most complex situations will be departing from players who may not have had a fair chance to showcase their talents due to injuries.

With the release of Kirksey, the Texans saved $5.2 million in cap space.  

"I always tell our guys, ‘It’s not about just making our team,'" Ryans said. "We want our guys able to make the NFL and that’s what it’s about – staying healthy, being available so you can showcase your talents not only to us here but also to the other 31 teams."

Kirksey, who joined the Texans in March 2021, was third on Houston's defense with 124 tackles last season. He also had seven tackles for loss and seven quarterback hits with three sacks and two interceptions while starting all 17 games as captain in 2022.

Seems like new coach wanted to make some changes.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

If they truly felt as fans do that he's an immediate upgrade and needs to be put in the starting lineup sooner than later, they wouldn't have put him on the Practice Squad.

If I had to guess, I'd say they put him on the PS because he's not up on the defensive scheme and calls. Don't want to waste a roster spot until they know he's got everything down and can play. Remember, he's the guy who would be receiving the plays and calling it out to the defense, getting everyone in place. Takes some time to get comfortable with the coaching staff and others on defense.

Keep the roster spot for now for the guys who have been in the system and can jump in on a moment's notice.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Agree still getting used to this getting good players to sign on the PS thing. I do like having a great treat to play around with the roster like this but always does take the player to agree as well. I am guessing will be on the 53 soon enough. Still getting used to being great and having a competent front office to sell these roster games 

As well as an owner willing to spend $$.  I assume he will get a higher rate whole on practice squad.  And with rotation if we get competent play from all the lbs then that keeps them that much fresher thru the postseason grind.  Easy to come out flat for even an important game when you are dealing with bumps bruises.  

Edited by AuntieEm

2 minutes ago, Rubes said:

If I had to guess, I'd say they put him on the PS because he's not up on the defensive scheme and calls. Don't want to waste a roster spot until they know he's got everything down and can play. Remember, he's the guy who would be receiving the plays and calling it out to the defense, getting everyone in place. Takes some time to get comfortable with the coaching staff and others on defense.

Keep the roster spot for now for the guys who have been in the system and can jump in on a moment's notice.

Exactly.

They'll get him healthy, up to speed with the scheme and playbook (which knowing McDermott won't be fast), and if he looks like he's succeeding AND Bernard/Dodson falter, they'll call him up.

But the fans are running away with he's the guy now and that's simply not the case. Gonna be a lot of "when are we going to activate Kirksey?!" posts in the future from a lot of the posters on this thread.

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

But the fans are running away with he's the guy now and that's simply not the case. Gonna be a lot of "when are we going to activate Kirksey?!" posts in the future from a lot of the posters on this thread.

Well, if we get run on badly the first few games, those calls would probably be justified...

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

If the Bills lower the ticket prices I might buy one endzone seat

You can commit to buying ALL the end zone seats if the Bills lower ticket prices and have nothing to worry about. You could still sleep like a baby. 

52 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

last year:

124 tackles

7 TFL

3 sacks

2 Ints

What with the above isn't particularly good.

Compared to the $18m wonder who had the following for the Bills last year:

102 tackles

1 sack

1 Int

Agreed. He may actually have been Houston's best player last year.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

You can commit to buying ALL the end zone seats if the Bills lower ticket prices and have nothing to worry about. You could still sleep like a baby. 

I have 3 broken ashtrays to replace

It's not cheap you know 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.