Kirksey signing with the Bills PS

ndirish1978

12 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

They may have committed something to him wink/nod and this allows them to get him in the team learning/practicing.   Keep in mind a guy signed to the 53 after week 1 is not guaranteed salary so they may want to do that.

Yeah I am sure it is going to let him get up to speed without taking a roster spot. I guess I got to get used to we get some of these breaks with players being a great team. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

He turns 31 tomorrow and is not a particularly good player. He’s serviceable though. Heck, as of today that might make him the best MLB on the roster. And he’s always seemed to be a good dude - the kind of person you want to root for. 

last year:

124 tackles

7 TFL

3 sacks

2 Ints

What with the above isn't particularly good.

Compared to the $18m wonder who had the following for the Bills last year:

102 tackles

1 sack

1 Int

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

11 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Well they are posting his priority is winning so this wins on a number of points.  He'll have time to learn the defense, they can even rotate the lbs if they all perform well in schemes they run.  Read he's good friends with Hyde and Poyer was it?  If so, easy to think they discuss various schemes they play in in offseason and might have him up to speed in no time.   And easy enough to move players to from ps, though not sure of all the tweaks they may have in place for practice squads.  However since to be signed off another PS the player has to agree and a vet knows the grass is not always greener when you chase the $$.   

Agree still getting used to this getting good players to sign on the PS thing. I do like having a great treat to play around with the roster like this but always does take the player to agree as well. I am guessing will be on the 53 soon enough. Still getting used to being great and having a competent front office to sell these roster games 

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I believe PS players have the ability to decide to stay with the team/on the PS if someone does try to get him. Kinda like Free Agents.

Yes they are UFAs essentially. No one can “poach” them the player has to agree to the contract. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I believe PS players have the ability to decide to stay with the team/on the PS if someone does try to get him. Kinda like Free Agents.

Correct - and he probably had other opportunities to join 53 man rosters.  He'll get healthy, learn the defense and be our starting MLB sooner than later

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

last year:

124 tackles

7 TFL

3 sacks

2 Ints

102 tackles

1 sack

1 Int

Big issue with Kirksey will be his durability. He's suffered a bunch of soft tissue type of injuries over the past few years that have taken him out of the lineup.  Last year was an outlier for him with regards to health.

• Like (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Happy with it. Would have expected on the 53. But interesting he was open to the PS initially. 

probably knows it’s temporary until he learns the system and gets acclimated here. 

great signing. He may not be the best lber but probably the best we can add at this point. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

Big issue with Kirksey will be his durability. He's suffered a bunch of soft tissue type of injuries over the past few years that have taken him out of the lineup.  Last year was an outlier for him with regards to health.

that's why it’s called PS.  They get hurt and no big deal.  If he could be depth for us, great.

2 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

last year:

124 tackles

7 TFL

3 sacks

2 Ints

102 tackles

1 sack

1 Int

And yet no team cared to sign him to an active roster. Hmmmm. Those are really weak stats btw. It’s not like he didn’t have plenty of opportunities to make tackles and other plays on the Texans last season. They were on the field a lot. I’ve watched him play enough to know what kind of player he is. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

And yet no team cared to sign him to an active roster. Hmmmm. Those are really weak stats btw. It’s not like he didn’t have plenty of opportunities to make tackles and other plays on the Texans last season. They were on the field a lot. I’ve watched him play enough to know what kind of player he is. 

Better than Dodson and Bernard w one arm tied behind his back, on Football IQ alone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He sets a floor for all the others competing.  With Bernard getting healthy and Kirksey in the mix thing are better than they were last week.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah I think that’s the case, just l hope that he decides to stay

8 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I am glad to see this. I assume we will activate him once he is up to speed, but If someone tries to poach him while he is on the PS, we can move him to the active roster, correct?

That is correct. The current team can prevent a player from the practice squad of being poached from another team, by elevating said player to the active roster.

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

you are pretty negative. The guy isn’t a star but he is serviceable and better than probably all our current mlb. Can’t have stars at every position. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Alright, the guy isn't Dick Butkus or Jack Lambert, but I will take him over Dodson.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

That is correct. The current team can prevent a player from the practice squad of being poached from another team, by elevating said player to the active roster.

Is that for all players on PS or just a designated few? I thought they could only protect a couple players from being poached but it could change from week to week.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.