OT Germain Ifedi signs with the Bills

HappyDays

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

When Q was cut, I expected a move. I don't see any way McDermott would be comfortable with having our Backups at OT being two guys who have never played a regular season snap before.

Though a 1st Round Pick who didn't get his 5th year option picked up and then was released early by 2 teams already this offseason doesn't invoke a lot of faith in me. 

But at least he has starting experience and has attributes that made him a 1st Rounder.

I'd call this a lateral move.  Not so much an upgrade.

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Keep Dodson and cut Matakevich.

Dodson is not the S/T player that Matakevich is.  And if we sign Kirksey, Dodsons role is relegated to 2nd/3rd string...where we have a 2nd year player in Bernard (who isn't going to be much worse, likely similar or better in some aspects).  Then likely Klein on P/S, again not much drop off from Dodson, if any.

All contingent on signing Kirskey, but Dodson has no role IMO.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Dodson is not the S/T player that Matakevich is.  And if we sign Kirksey, Dodsons role is relegated to 2nd/3rd string...where we have a 2nd year player in Bernard (who isn't going to be much worse, likely similar or better in some aspects).  Then likely Klein on P/S, again not much drop off from Dodson, if any.

I’m gonna let everyone know right now. Bernard is not an nfl MLB

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

45.4 rating on PFF in 2022 

My god beane. Someone worse than saffold 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Great points! Hopefully Kirksey signs. Dodson and Matakevich are both at the bottom of the 53 for me as well and I am fine with both not being on roster in order to keep the extra OT (Ifedi) and Kirksey

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why do we need 10 offensive linemen? How is this guy more valuable than Boogie Basham when we only have two DEs under contract for next year? 🤔

Offensive lineman represent about 22% of a team's players on the field in a game (five linemen on all offensive plays, 50/50 snap distribution between offense and D). If there are 10 OL on the roster, that's 18% of the roster. Sounds right to me.

44 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

45.4 rating on PFF in 2022 (on 8 snaps)

PFF isn't inherently trustworthy in the best of circumstances, but like you said his 2022 grade is based on just 8 total snaps which makes that grade meaningless. And every one of those snaps was a run block. He's a better pass blocker.

Here are his pass block/run block grades from 2020 and 2021 when he had 1,115 and 412 snaps respectively:

2020:

Pass block - 65.6

Run block - 62.2

2021:

Pass block - 70.7

Run block - 58.6

Those pass block numbers put him in a mid-backup to low end starter tier by PFF's metrics.

I'm satisfied with Van Demark and Ifedi as the LT/RT backups. They're both better than Quessenberry at this stage of his career IMO, the only advantage he had over them is that he takes up one roster spot instead of two.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

False starts on the OL is a tough thing.  It's almost an involuntary reaction which is hard to coach out.

I hope the whole line is more disciplined.

Ifedi, 29, was a first-round draft choice of the Seattle Seahawks in the 2016 NFL Draft. Ifedi started 13 games at right guard for the Seahawks as a rookie. He spent three more seasons with Seattle and started 47 more games, all of which came at right tackle. He allowed 21 sacks and committed 52 penalties in his four years with the Seahawks, including an incredible (and league-leading) 19 penalties in his first season at right tackle back in 2017.

In two seasons with the Bears, he committed just nine penalties and allowed just four sacks, showing significant improvement.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

If Dodson had definitively "lost" the job to Bernard he'd be out. I think what is tricky is we haven't seen Bernard take a snap and the last time they were both on the field at Fisher Dodson was ahead in that competition. We are now saying he has lost it through his own play, and I understand that, but what if Bernard is worse? I always thought the winner of that battle starts anf the loser is cut. But there isn't really a winner at this stage. There is a loser and a total unknown. 

The other way of creating a space is Spector on short term IR. That might give them time to evaluate Bernard while bringing in another vet like Kirksey. 

1 hour ago, Success said:

How much have you seen him play?

Speaking for myself, a lot. He isn't very good. Big guy with bad technique who has been a part of some awful O Lines. 

But he has started 80 NFL games and they needed a break glass in case of emergency tackle with some starting experience and who would sign for, or close to, vet minimum having cut Quess. Ifedi is at least younger.

• Like (+1) 1

I know it's not rational, but my enthusiasm died when I read an article that lumped Ifedi with another player we all know well.  

"The Lions also released offensive linemen Germain Ifedi and Bobby Hart. Both players have extensive experience and could land as depth for other teams at some point in the future."

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

"expected to sign" not "signed"

Betting he waits until after we can IR a couple guys

We need 8 OL active on game day.

Since they tend to get injured, 10 is not unreasonable - we've kept that many before

How many DE and DT do you think we ought to keep?  In case you've lost track, we've currently got 10 DL plus Von Miller on the roster....

so we should keep 11 DL plus Miller and only 9 OL?

We have signed him. By my count we are at 53. We have cut Reid Ferguson. He is waiting in the car park. Shakir or Spector to IR is my guess.

3 hours ago, BillsFooteball said:

Someone who knows way more about o-line than myself let me know is this an upgrade over Q in your opinion? Clearly bills do but everything I read this guy was (is?) a penalty machine and revolving door.

Similar standard of player. Might have more left in the tank than Quess given their respective ages. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We have signed him. By my count we are at 53. We have cut Reid Ferguson. He is waiting in the car park. Shakir or Spector to IR is my guess.

It's been reported Shorter and Spector are expected to go to short term IR.  I expect us to sign a LB or a WR to the 53 tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah ideally Van Demark would be backup LT, Ifedi would be backup RT. In a perfect world we'd have a single swing tackle but it's better than nothing.

On game days only one will be active, so we likely will have one swing T

10 hours ago, balln said:

My

god. Enough with Carolina

It strikes me as disturbing that we can see Beane dealing so heavy with Giants and Carolina. 29 other teams. Suggests an awful blinders situation for seeing the entire league.

WE shouldn’t be able to pinpoint ANY trends like that!!

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2

2 minutes ago, Hsker4life said:

Gotta love Bills fans.

We just signed a player with a lot of starting experience to be a depth guy, and posters are acting like Beane is dumber than a bag of rocks for doing so. 

LOL.

that because they want 53 all pro's, when it just doesn't work that way

2 minutes ago, Hsker4life said:

Gotta love Bills fans.

We just signed a player with a lot of starting experience to be a depth guy, and posters are acting like Beane is dumber than a bag of rocks for doing so. 

LOL.

It’s hard for fans to understand offensive line talent is scarce. A lot of bad OL start in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Meh. He has always really kinda sucked. A typical John Schneider first round reach. That said, he has started a lot of games in the NFL and given they have moved on from Quess it was going to be someone of this ilk. 

I was so excited and then you had to come along and ruin it

• Haha (+1) 2

Are we keeping 10 OL or is Alec Anderson a potential cut now?

Id be disappointed if that’s the case, as Anderson looks really promising as a G/C, and with multiple years left on his deal.  

Anderson did not look good in his RT try out, so signing Ifedi makes all the sense in the world, but I really hope it’s a LB on the way out over a promising young OL

piece. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.