OT Germain Ifedi signs with the Bills

HappyDays

10 hours ago, BillsFooteball said:

Someone who knows way more about o-line than myself let me know is this an upgrade over Q in your opinion? Clearly bills do but everything I read this guy was (is?) a penalty machine and revolving door.

I don’t know anything about the X’s and O’s of line play, but I do know a blocking dummy would be an upgrade over Q. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Since1981 said:

It strikes me as disturbing that we can see Beane dealing so heavy with Giants and Carolina. 29 other teams. Suggests an awful blinders situation for seeing the entire league.

WE shouldn’t be able to pinpoint ANY trends like that!!

I don't think Beane knows that teams like Seattle, Chicago and Atlanta exist.

I'm done with this team. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hsker4life said:

Gotta love Bills fans.

We just signed a player with a lot of starting experience to be a depth guy, and posters are acting like Beane is dumber than a bag of rocks for doing so. 

LOL.

For me it's more than that. Not expecting a roster of all pro bowlers. 

What's disappointing is that the Bills oline still has major question marks. The oline doesn't even appear to be in the top 10. 

Granted the interior looks improved but it's still unproven and a work in progress. 

It's frustrating that Beane has had five plus years to really solidify the oline. I'd argue this Bills oline is a major reason why they haven't advanced further. 

As a result, it's hard for fans to get enthusiastic about a mediocre backup oline pick up. I get it it's necessary. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

What's disappointing is that the Bills oline still has major question marks. The oline doesn't even appear to be in the top 10. 

Granted the interior looks improved but it's still unproven and a work in progress. 

It's frustrating that Beane has had five plus years to really solidify the oline. I'd argue this Bills oline is a major reason why they haven't advanced further. 

As a result, it's hard for fans to get enthusiastic about a mediocre backup oline pick up. I get it it's necessary. 

Possibly barely top 20 however I suspect they are in the bottom 10 of the NFL and it is Josh Allen who makes them look better than they are when you consider Josh's scrambling for time to pass heroics and the fact that his rushing yardage is not due to holes the OL make but rather the fact the in the majority there has been a OL pass protection breakdown.

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I can bash Beane as much as the next guy, but from what we’ve seen Torrence appears to be the real deal at RG. Let’s hope it’s true. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I can bash Beane as much as the next guy, but from what we’ve seen Torrence appears to be the real deal at RG. Let’s hope it’s true. 

It's not a matter of bashing Beane. That's not my objective. Beane has done a lot of good too. Hit a grand slam with Allen. 

Agree Torrence looks very good but let's see how he plays in regular season games. 

Edited by newcam2012

8 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Possibly barely top 20 however I suspect they are in the bottom 10 of the NFL and it is Josh Allen who makes them look better than they are when you consider Josh's scrambling for time to pass heroics and the fact that his rushing yardage is not due to holes the OL make but rather the fact the in the majority there has been a OL pass protection breakdown.

Agree but that's my point. The regime has had five years to solidify the oline. They shouldn't be a bottom tier oline. Every year there's significant issues with the oline. 

It's not a coincidence that Philly and KC were in the SB. They arguably have the best olines in the league. 

I know it's difficult to build a great oline. All teams strive to improve. Just feels like the Bills have fallen way to short here. Maybe this year will be much improved? 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree but that's my point. The regime has had five years to solidify the oline. They shouldn't be a bottom tier oline. Every year there's significant issues with the oline. 

It's not a coincidence that Philly and KC were in the SB. They arguably have the best olines in the league. 

I know it's difficult to build a great oline. All teams strive to improve. Just feels like the Bills have fallen way to short here. Maybe this year will be much improved? 

When you do not prioritize the OL through high round draft picks or top tier Free Agents then this is what you get.

It has been a criticism of mine for a couple of decades and Beane is simply continuing this failed strategy.

Beane really has no successful track record in OL personnel evaluation.

It is what separates us from the other "contenders".

Edited by HIT BY SPIKES
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Are we keeping 10 OL or is Alec Anderson a potential cut now?

Id be disappointed if that’s the case, as Anderson looks really promising as a G/C, and with multiple years left on his deal.  

Anderson did not look good in his RT try out, so signing Ifedi makes all the sense in the world, but I really hope it’s a LB on the way out over a promising young OL

piece. 

Jury is out.  Some posters think we won't, and will go with 6 LBs or a 6th WR.

Personally, I think we keep 10 OL, 5 LBs, and 5 Wrs on the 53.

Injuries to OL are bound to happen.  We have a center with concussion history, Edwards coming off a serious concussion, and Brown hopefully is over his back issues/can manage it.  All to say, not predicting an injury but chances are we will need that 10th OL...and I'd rather have a capable player, like Anderson, to help protect our Franchise QB.  Not to mention Anderson likely is competing next year for a starter role, perhaps, or top backup.

Roll with Klein on P/S and a few WRs (ie: Isabella, Shavers, Johnson).  And see what happens come week 5/etc, when IR guys and Von are eligible.  Chances are, we will have 1-2 other guys battling through multi-week injuries.   OR best case, we have a healthy problem.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Since1981 said:

It strikes me as disturbing that we can see Beane dealing so heavy with Giants and Carolina. 29 other teams. Suggests an awful blinders situation for seeing the entire league.

WE shouldn’t be able to pinpoint ANY trends like that!!

Why? Beane was in Carolina for a while. As we get farther away from his time there we will most likely see less players from there but he was a part of building the Panthers so he knows and likes some of the players.

The Giants have a lot of our former front office guys and coaches. They most likely look for similar qualities as the Bills. Not that difficult to understand why we pick up players from these teams or the other way around. 

Happens everywhere sports or not. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

53 minutes ago, gordong said:

that because they want 53 all pro's, when it just doesn't work that way

There are a hand full of quite vocal posters here that think fantasy/Madden is how real football works, it’s not worth trying to explain things to them, it’s similar to dealing with DK syndrome folk. 

• Agree 3

42 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We said same thing for Cody ford as rookie and Spencer brown 

No excuse for not picking creed Humphrey all pro player over Basham. That’s on beane and McD . Either being too rigid on “scheme fit” - that argument falls by wayside w elam pick. Or just too damn favorable to defense over offense

Edited by balln
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, balln said:

We said same thing for Cody ford as rookie and Spencer brown 

No excuse for not picking creed Humphrey all pro player over Basham. That’s on beane and McD . Either being too rigid on “scheme fit” - that argument falls by wayside w elam pick. Or just too damn favorable to defense over offense

I think that's McDermott's call

12 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

A reliable veteran backup would be a relief.

I feel a lot better about this team now. RT was a gaping hole in the roster. A very questionable starter at RT and only inexperienced (though promising) backups. It looks just fine now. Brown may end up improving, but if he's injured (again) and inconsistent (again), we now have two layers of replacements. 

So now I can confine my fretting to MLB and backup QB. 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Congrats, that’s every single team right now. 

20 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

No it's not. You are missing the point. 

The Bills oline over the last few years has been more a liability than an asset. That's just undeniable. 

To dismiss or imply that every team has oline issues is chicken shi!. 

The fact remains Beane, McD, and Kromer, scouts, players, etc...have failed to build an oline that's an asset. 

This year there are some new pieces so hopefully the oline is better. 

43 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

I guess all the summer splash is gone. The best we can hope for is to kick the tire on a retread.

That's all that's available now. Still doesn't mean someone can't contribute to the team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I know it's not rational, but my enthusiasm died when I read an article that lumped Ifedi with another player we all know well.  

"The Lions also released offensive linemen Germain Ifedi and Bobby Hart. Both players have extensive experience and could land as depth for other teams at some point in the future."

At least it wasn't Bobby Hart!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

No it's not. You are missing the point. 

The Bills oline over the last few years has been more a liability than an asset. That's just undeniable. 

To dismiss or imply that every team has oline issues is chicken shi!. 

The fact remains Beane, McD, and Kromer, scouts, players, etc...have failed to build an oline that's an asset. 

This year there are some new pieces so hopefully the oline is better. 

That's all that's available now. Still doesn't mean someone can't contribute to the team. 

No, the notion that only the Bills have question marks on their roster is chicken *****.

We haven’t even seen the starting OL play a full game yet, can’t really jump to the conclusion that they are a liability. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Dude, Just Stop.  Go root for New England or the Dolphins or whoever it is you're actually a fan of, I can't keep track.

What's undeniable is that the Bills had the #2, #3, and #2 offense the last 3 seasons.  You don't achieve that with a line that is "more a liability than an asset".  You simply don't, especially when your QB always wants to go for the "kill shot" and hates to check it down.

Yes, some of that is the unreal play of one Joshua Patrick Allen, but as Dawkins said in one recent interview - that's both a blessing and a curse.  Allen will often extend plays, and that demands more of the line; other QB behind lesser lines will hit the quick slant or flat and let their player gain 5 yards, which makes their line look better.

Have the Bills had a top OL?  No, it's been average, no better.  But also no worse.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Dude, Just Stop.  Go root for New England or the Dolphins or whoever it is you're actually a fan of, I can't keep track.

What's undeniable is that the Bills had the #2, #3, and #2 offense the last 3 seasons.  You don't achieve that with a line that is "more a liability than an asset".  You simply don't, especially when your QB always wants to go for the "kill shot" and hates to check it down.

Yes, some of that is the unreal play of one Joshua Patrick Allen, but as Dawkins said in one recent interview - that's both a blessing and a curse.  Allen will often extend plays, and that demands more of the line; other QB behind lesser lines will hit the quick slant or flat and let their player gain 5 yards, which makes their line look better.

Have the Bills had a top OL?  No, it's been average, no better.  But also no worse.

Stop what? The oline has been problematic for years. If you can't see that then I'm not sure how knowledgeable of a Bills fan you are. 

Allen is absolutely the reason why the offense is that highly ranked. He's that fricken good. 

You point to stats but omit the oline stats. Frankly, they are bottom tier. You can't have it both ways.

If you don't like my criticisms then block me or gingerly skip over my posts. Being a Bills fan doesn't mean you can't criticize the team. 

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

No, the notion that only the Bills have question marks on their roster is chicken *****.

We haven’t even seen the starting OL play a full game yet, can’t really jump to the conclusion that they are a liability. 

I'm not talking this year. I don't know how the oline is going to perform. I'm concerned yet optimistic. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I apologize, BW, but I respectfully have to disagree.  The Bills line has not been average.  That's not what the analytic sites say.  And that's not what my eyes tell me after watching the Bills for 50+ years.   Sure, sometimes Allen's reluctance to take easy slants or check down forces the OL to hold blocks longer.  But often he's off his mark in less than 2 seconds because of an immediate passpro breakdown.  We've all seen it: in some games the poor kid is running for his life.  Our good offensive rankings are not because of the OL, they are despite the OL.  A lesser QB wouldn't be able to sustain drives with the kind of protection Allen gets.  

The way Allen tries to extend plays is both a blessing and a curse - but far more blessing.  Sometimes I think Beane purposely doesn't spend on the OL because he knows Allen is mobile and strong enough to make good things happen even when pass protection breaks down.  I believe, whatever the reason, Josh deserves better.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Now that he's signed, I think Alec Anderson is Practice Squad bound. Not sure we keep 10 on the OL.

Is McGovern health enough to start at LG?  And if not, is it going to be Edwards with Torrance at RG?  Bates is the backup center.  Can anyone tell me how he has looked this preseason?  Can Anderson play Center as well? 

I agree 10 O lineman seems like a lot.  But Anderson looked good against Chicago.  Is Ifedi better then Spencer Brown?  If so, get him in at starting RT.

I will be super disappointed if Anderson gets released in favor of keeping an extra special teamer.  Do NOT make this mistake again Beane, you’ve got 2-3 super talented OL prospects who will immediately get scooped up by other teams if the Bills try to sneak them through waivers.  The right approach for the future is to make sure we keep them.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

I apologize, BW, but I respectfully have to disagree.  The Bills line has not been average.  That's not what the analytic sites say.  And that's not what my eyes tell me after watching the Bills for 50+ years.   Sure, sometimes Allen's reluctance to take easy slants or check down forces the OL to hold blocks longer.  But often he's off his mark in less than 2 seconds because of an immediate passpro breakdown.

If by "analytics sites" you mean PFF, I think they aren't too valid in their abilities to grade OL play, not knowing the specifics of the assignments.  Same for the eyeballs - we can say "Morse got blown up", but was it that Edwards lost his man and should have had help, or that Torrence passed his guy to Morse but shouldn't have?

There are times when Josh/Dorsey come out with a quick passing game, but far more often than not (and under Daboll as well) it seemed they were going for the vertical game.

So yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree.  I go with Greg Cosell, who has watched and interpreted more film than everyone on this site x100.  If he says "average, not better", maybe he knows something.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I will be super disappointed if Anderson gets released in favor of keeping an extra special teamer.  Do NOT make this mistake again Beane, you’ve got 2-3 super talented OL prospects who will immediately get scooped up by other teams if the Bills try to sneak them through waivers.  The right approach for the future is to make sure we keep them.

Agreed. Sign Kirksey and let Dodson and either matakevich, Hamlin or Lewis go if need be. No reason to let good OL prospects go when have aging starters in Morse and Dawkins at the end of there careers 

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Not every single team is a supposed Super Bowl contender. At this point for this regime, the standard is high. The Bills have more question marks than most other contenders.

Edited by Airseven
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Is McGovern health enough to start at LG?  And if not, is it going to be Edwards with Torrance at RG?  Bates is the backup center.  Can anyone tell me how he has looked this preseason?  Can Anderson play Center as well? 

I agree 10 O lineman seems like a lot.  But Anderson looked good against Chicago.  Is Ifedi better then Spencer Brown?  If so, get him in at starting RT.

Ifedi is this year's Ty Nsekhe/Daryl Williams, and that's not a Good Sign for Brown.

For those who don't remember, in 2019 the Bills had rookie Cody Ford starting at RT, but hedged their bets signing journeyman Ty Nsekhe, who only took 1 start but wound up playing 1/3 of the offensive snaps there.  The next year we signed Daryl Williams who quickly won the RT job outright over Ford, Got Paid, and sucked the next season.

Bates has looked decent this preseason by all accounts.  Anderson has taken snaps at C.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.